Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
mindystar
DIS Veteran

Monorail!, Mermaids, Mishaps and Magic: May 2012 Family Vacation ***Day 3. . .7/31**

Well here we are.

Planned for ten months, did a few months of Disney Nights, spent seven nights at the Poly, had five days in the parks and visited three of them. Followed through with the goal of completing a PTR (which you can find here), and set the next goal. A much higher goal, if I may say so myself, has been set. I tried once six years ago and failed miserably, so I intend to accomplish it this time. Writing a Trip Report! So many have wrote so many wonderful ones, and I hope to capture just a fraction of the magic that they seem to be able to convey. I know Iím wordy though, and probably why I quit the last one, just a lot to write! So Iím going to pace myself (something that Iím learning with conditioning for running. . .well walking at this point, lol!) and try not to shove a lot out at once. Plus it will be nice to have for myself down the line as well

So without further ado, here is our cast of characters for this Walt Disney World 2012 Family Vacation.

Mom/Grandma/Tink:

Dad/Grandpa/Peter Pan (PP) and Youngest Sister/Snow White:

Me/Sleeping Beauty/Princess Aurora/Briar Rose:

Younger Sister/Cinderella:

Brother-in-law (Cinderellaís DHómade that easy, right )/Prince Charming (PC):

Eldest Niece (DD1 of Cindy and PC; just turned 4)/Ariel:

Middle Niece (DD2 of Cindy and PC; just turned 2)/Minnie:

Youngest Niece (DD3 of Cindy and PC; turned 5 mo on vacation)/Marie:
1993-CR1996-Poly1997-Offsite1999-CR2002-AKL/Poly 2005-CR Feb 2006 PolyJune 2006-Sister's DFTW Custom Wedding (GF/CR)April 2007-PORDec 2007-Coronado2008-PolyMarch 2009-POR 30 B-day!May/June 2009-Family Vacation -GFJune 2010-CR May/June 2012-Family Vacation-PolyFeb 2013-Princess Half Marathon-POFQ December 2013-Pop Century

Last edited by mindystar; 07-31-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
mindystar
DIS Veteran

Table of Contents

Here Lies Good Old Table of Contents:

Making Our Way to WDW! Day 1, Part 1
Making Our Way to WDW! Day 1, Part 2
Making Our Way to WDW! Day 2, Part 1
Making Our Way to WDW! Day 2, Part 2
Making Our Way to WDW! Day 2, Part 3
Animal Kingdom and Ohanas Day 3, Part 1
Animal Kingdom and Ohanas Day 3, Part 2
Animal Kingdom and Ohanas Day 3, Part 3
Animal Kingdom and Ohanas Day 3, Part 4
1993-CR1996-Poly1997-Offsite1999-CR2002-AKL/Poly 2005-CR Feb 2006 PolyJune 2006-Sister's DFTW Custom Wedding (GF/CR)April 2007-PORDec 2007-Coronado2008-PolyMarch 2009-POR 30 B-day!May/June 2009-Family Vacation -GFJune 2010-CR May/June 2012-Family Vacation-PolyFeb 2013-Princess Half Marathon-POFQ December 2013-Pop Century

Last edited by mindystar; 07-31-2012 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Adding Chapters :)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
mindystar
DIS Veteran

Making Our Way to WDW! Day 1, Part 1

We were all off work now (well except for those parents, they are never off duty ), had some sleep in us, and except for last minute items were packed as well. The lofty goal of leaving at 4 am was set, but we never get out of the door at the time we plan to. There were two households on the same street separated by a few houses that were up, excited and ready for the first leg of the driving journey that would end in Walt Disney World.

Now I went to bed around 11 pm, seeing as I wasnít a driver and would need to sleep plenty on the drive so as not to get car sick/motion sick. I set my alarm on the tv to go off at 2:45 am, giving me plenty of time to laze in bed and then to get cracking on getting ready for the day and luggage downstairs. Instead of waking to an infomercial however, I woke to the sound of something banging down the stairs. I reluctantly open my eyes and see that the tv had done its job of turning on, but I had not done my job of waking up. I turned to look at the clock and holy cow it was already quarter after 3. Well there went my lazing around and getting ready time! After jumping out of bed I put a little face on and got all of my gear finalized so it could be taken downstairs.

Out to the van the luggage was whisked away by PP and Snow. Though now with all the luggage filled to the gill and extra pieces added, we would need to use the back seat as well as the trunk in order to fit everything. Until we were able to get through some of the food for cooler breakfasts and lunches, Snow would need to sit in the middle bucket seat next to mine. Which meant that no Littles would be able to quite join us along for the ride yet.

PP was busy rearranging the luggage, while Tink finished things inside. Cinderella called to see where we at in leaving. At almost 4, Tink told her we just needed about 10 more mins. Well that time came and went, and soon the Cindy Clan were waiting in their car in the cul-de-sac. Ariel and Minnie let out shouts of joy and our names as we went down to see them. They were busy watching Scooby Doo, and plenty excited to get to start ďVacationĒ!

When everyone got in the van from our travel party and we pulled out of the driveway down the street it was 4:27 a.m. Our vehicle decided that next time we would say we were going to leave a half hour earlier than we wanted. To psych our own selves out I guess, since the family with young children were basically ready on time! I love that beginning time of the drive and make sure to be alert and awake at least until we are over the bridge and into Iowa. I usually stay up for a bit longer, but fall asleep before we hit the first rest stop.

That first rest stop is also where we had breakfast and stretched our legs. I believe for that stop we spent an hour there. Which is crazy nuts, because it no where felt that long! I had a picnic table cover that we used, and Cindy had a blanket for picnics that we used on the ground. Marie was laid out on it and I sat next to her while eating. It wasnít long before we noticed dog poo right on the outlying edge of the blanket. I do believe that many of us managed to step in it, after we noticed it! PC was kind enough to clean off my sneaker so that I could get back into Tink and PPís van for the rest of the trip However he also thought it nice of himself to try and give me a drink from the water bottle and I ended up spitting it up. I donít do well when choking on water to get it to go down for some odd reason By the end of that break Ariel was freaking out about bugs being on her, even when there werenít. . .poor girl!

We drove, and drove and drove again until we hit our lunch stop. Here Cinderella broke out the bubbles for Ariel and Minnie to play with. Snow stayed on the blanket with the Littles (aka-Ariel, Minnie, and Marie), while Cindy moved back and forth between the girls and the rest of us at the picnic table. The fear of bugs must have diminished by now, or I never heard about it. Minnie enjoyed running around like a crazy woman and having PP put her in the trees Lunch break was much shorter than Breakfast, and much warmer too!

Soon it was back to napping for me, wrapped in my Slanket and propped up on my pillow. Then I had one of those dreams where you canít seem to find a restroom and woke up with an urgency to get to a gas station or rest stop, and pronto! Well the British Chippy on the car navigation told us to turn off for gas, but we ended up driving through a nice suburb (and now I donít remember of where, I should have taken a picture of the town signs!!!)and found a Walgreens to stop into. Once my bladder felt much better it was back on the road. I decided to try and watch a movie, since the screen would be stationary. I had yet to watch Tangled, so I settled in and enjoyed myself. Not too long after the movie got over we had arrived at our destination for the evening.

Up next: Day 1, Part 2. . .and of course more pics!

Last edited by mindystar; 06-17-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
Stasieki
DIS Veteran

Great start!
Old 06-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
StitchIsOurHero
I was smart enough to marry a DH who does the laundry!
Dun-DUN! Has 8 Matthew McConaugheys at work!
The Rock, in his little man-bikini, is quite pretty!

I'm here!! So happy to be reading along! Love your beginning!!
Old 06-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
daisy_77
BL II - Blue Team
I had no idea that we shrink as the day goes on

I am loving your TR and looking forward to more!

Cute little ones too BTW

Old 06-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
mindystar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasieki View Post
Great start!
and thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchIsOurHero View Post
I'm here!! So happy to be reading along! Love your beginning!!
Whoo hoo! So glad you are here Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy_77 View Post
I am loving your TR and looking forward to more!
Cute little ones too BTW
Thanks, and as their aunt I think they are too
Old 06-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #8
mindystar
DIS Veteran

Fairfield Inn and Suites in Murfreesboro, TN would be our home for the evening. After waiting for what looked like people going to a wedding to get out of the entry to the hotel, mom and I went and checked in. I was holding a shoeless Ariel, and refused to let her put her feet on the ground. Tink checked her and Cindy in, as they had requested adjoining rooms. Their rooms were next to each other. Since I had linked my reservation to the other two the lady was ready for me at the same time. Since I had reserved a Queen Suite I was on the same floor but at the other end.

Once this was done I found Minnie was in the hotel now too. So I took my card key and holding both shoeless children, headed off to find my room. Tink was going to stay behind to help get the luggage. Onto the elevator we hopped and up to the fourth floor we climbed. Once off the elevator we veered left and quickly found room 407. I opened the door and then let the little ones down to explore the room. Ariel was very impressed with how big it was. I quickly threw back the comforters and they were having fun playing on the beds, and Minnie with the phone.

Everyone was soon in their rooms and I ran down with PP and PC to bring up the odds and ends from the van as well getting my luggage from Tink and PPís room. PC and Snow were going to head to Chik-Fil-A to grab everyoneís dinner. Snow brought down her iPad so I could look at the menu and make my decision. Cinderella came by and discussed the game plan. That Snow, Tink and PP would sleep in their room. After the Littles (well, the older two) ate they would go swimming and then come to my room for baths and to sleep. This way PC could have their room to himself and get some sleep. cindy, the girls and I would sleep in my room. At this time it was a little after 7, and since the front clerk had come and dropped off a pak-n-play in my room, Cindy brought over Marie so she could get her nap in and not be bothered by her sisters. My food was dropped off to my room, and before they got there I had a chance to check the Disboards right quick and say we were on the road.

I dined on the Chargrilled Chicken Club Sandwich (sans the bacon) and the waffle fries. There was a packet of Roasted Honey BBQ sauce in the bag along with the ketchup. Not being a BBQ girl myself, but wanting to try new things, I opened it up and took a dab. Oh my word, was that ever delicious!!! I used it as an accompaniment to my fries. Mmmmm!!! Banana Pudding Milkshake was so yummy, but even with a little help from Cinderella, I could only eat half of it.

Soon the girls were in the room with their Mommy, after they had some fun swimming with their Papa. Cindy gave the girls baths and then off to bed they went. We had thought that we would each end up with a girl in bed with us, but Ariel liked Minnie in her bed even though she was driving her nuts After some cajoling and time passed by, both girls were asleep and Cindy managed to get Marie to sleep. We both had showered, and I donít know how Cinderella can do it so fast! Marie was crying because I was holding her and mommy wasnít and the girls had just fell asleep. Once all the Littles were down for the count, Cindy and I fell into bed to sleep as well with a wake up call of 4 am, as we were to be on the road by 5.

Do you think we can do it? Well, if history is any indicator. . .

Last edited by mindystar; 06-17-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #9
MHTeacher
DIS Veteran

YAY for starting your trip report. I'm glad I'm reading along!

I happen to know someone else who has a hard time leaving at the time planned....for anything! I'll be waiting to see if you truly were on the road by 5 a.m!

Hold my umbrella while I find your poncho-May 2012 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...64&postcount=1
Disney Dining, DIS Meets, and WAIT-Why is that lady holding onto my husband?May,2010 TR http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=1
DON'T CRY OR WE'LL RIDE DINOSAUR AGAIN! March, 2010 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post35995716
A 16th Birthday/New Years Celebration(with 75000 of our closest friends) Dec. 2009 TR-http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34927152

All Star Sports 2001 Coronado Springs 2003 Wilderness Lodge 2005 Polynesian 2007 POR- 2007 POR 2008 Polynesian 2009 Yacht Club 2009 POR 2010 Beach Club 2010 Polynesian 2012 POP 2013
Old 06-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
mindystar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHTeacher View Post
YAY for starting your trip report. I'm glad I'm reading along! ME TOO!!!
I happen to know someone else who has a hard time leaving at the time planned....for anything! I'll be waiting to see if you truly were on the road by 5 a.m!
to my TR portion of the Disboards Thanks for joining!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #11
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Can I join in on the fun? It sounds like you're off to a good start!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 06-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
mindystar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Can I join in on the fun? It sounds like you're off to a good start!
Why of course you can! and thank you
Old 06-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #13
mindystar
DIS Veteran

Making Our Way to WDW! Day 2, Part 1

Day 2 Sunday May 27, 2012 TN-WDW

The next morning we all jump out of bed, take our bags that were packed up the night before and skip down to our rides to begin the final leg of the driving adventure. Oh wait, thatís not us? Oh yeah, ours went a little differently. Let me start over. . .

The next morning Cindy got up to her alarm and did what she needed in the bathroom to get ready for the day. Then she came back in the room and told me it was all mine. So short of jumping up, and only because we were going to WDW that day, I headed to the bathroom. I began putting on my rogue and squeezing into my girdle (love that line from the King of Queens). Well I did put on some make up and straightened my hair and started throwing my things back into their respective baggies and cases. Kammie had run down to her room and was back at 0430 to get the girls. Their papa (PC) had missed them and wanted them to get ready in his room. Luckily they had slept in their outfits so they just needed to get their bird nests on the top of their heads brushed out.

I finished packing up my things and getting everything together by the doorway when Snow came in. PP had already taken their things down to the van and was bringing the luggage trolley back up to help me bring my stuff down as well. I did a quick double check of everything with Snowís help. As she got to the ďBibleĒ drawer, she realized everything in there was missing. I told her that it was ok, Miss Minnnie had decided last evening that a better place for them was the top drawer of the dresser. She tossed in everything on the top of the nightstand and desk as well. Silly little organizer!
Dad took off with my things and I headed down to he and momís room where everyone else was. Apparently PC had already got his car washed after he filled it with their luggage. He was contemplating topping it off with gas too, but his wife reminded him that PP would need to do the same for our van. So he decided to wait until we were off and could stop together. I double checked my bill for the room to make sure it was fine and could leave without delay. Then we were all headed out to the vehicles. PP had made sure that everything would fit so that a seat in the far back was open. Snow wanted to sit there, I was going to sit in my middle captain seat and a granddaughter could sit in the other captainís seat. We were going to do the exchange at the breakfast stop though.

After moving some odds and ends around, we were finally in the van and off for topping off the gas tanks about 20 after, so not as bad as yesterday, but still not on time. I didnít stay awake too long after the sun rose. If felt like not too long after I started to snooze that we were pulling off the ramp to the rest stop for our second cooler breakfast of vacation! Iím pretty sure itís one that we stop at regularly, though I couldnít tell you what it was without checking with PP. After some tinkle breaks, dining on cheese sticks, bagels, bananas, apples, or Little Debbie breakfast goodies, and running around a bit we were ready to get some more miles behind us. PP had moved Minnieís seat from Cindyís vehicle to ours. As I donít do so great with motion/car sickness and a little one who would need things as well as the dvd player turned on and manipulated for her viewing pleasure, I really wasnít wanting to sit next to her. I knew Iíd do all those things and then feel crappy for the rest of the drive and day. So Tink sat in the middle with her granddaughter and I got to sit up front with PP. Of course looking out the front window definitely helps also with car sickness, so that was a bonus as well.

They watched Toy Story and Tangled and slept; and I listened and watched as the scenery flew by. PP pointed out a truck that had mine (and hisótheyíre the same) initials on it and so I snapped a pic. We saw the billboards for the pecan plantation and PP memorized the exit for the drive back. I saw the Tifton water tower. And it didnít seem all that long (or now it doesnít thinking back ) that we saw that glorious sign about reaching that beautiful state of Florida!!! Then I remember it was kind of long because we were eating lunch at the Florida Visitorís Center and everyone was very hungry by then.

Anyways we didnít getting parking spots next to each other and had to flag down the other family. While some of us headed off to the restrooms the others snagged two tables next to each other and next to the Florida sign for lunch. Once again we dined on deli meat sandwiches, individually bagged chips, string cheese, fruit and Little Debbie desserts. Then as a line was forming, Tink got a pic of all of us on her camera, so I have no pics from this part. However when some of us went in to get our orange juice and go to the bathroom once more, I did get a picture of a sweet little thing in this cutout by the kidsí area. Then it was back to the caravan to get a move on to our final destination. . .WDW!!!

This time Tink said she needed to sit up front so I got to resume my middle seat. And did do a lot of things for Minnie, that made my head feel off and not so great. I didnít get to really sleep it off either since she was missing her mommy and I was trying to find things for her to make her happy. So we put on the Muppets and I watch the part Iíve already seen and fall asleep a little after where we had stopped watching it before and miss the end of the movie. . .ugh! Of course I decide to watch Princess and the Frog, another movie I have not seen and I have it---aack! I still have not seen it either! They had just gotten to the good voodoo lady when to what did my wondering eyes did appear, but a Magical Sign and some characters!

Wonder what could be next
Old 06-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
StitchIsOurHero
I was smart enough to marry a DH who does the laundry!
Dun-DUN! Has 8 Matthew McConaugheys at work!
The Rock, in his little man-bikini, is quite pretty!

All caught up again! LOVE your updates! Your nieces are so cute! I am like you. . .I get motion sick in the car if I'm not really careful. I hope you eventually got to feeling a little better. . .getting to WDW always helps with that!
Old 06-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #15
mindystar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchIsOurHero View Post
All caught up again! LOVE your updates! Your nieces are so cute! I am like you. . .I get motion sick in the car if I'm not really careful. I hope you eventually got to feeling a little better. . .getting to WDW always helps with that!
Thank you They remind me of their mom when she was little, esp. Minnie she looks a LOT like Cindy did! WDW certainly helps with feeling better!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: