Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #931
sherylcin
Mouseketeer

Had to go out of town for work last week so I'm playing a little catch up. Belated happy anniversary to you and John! Can't wait to read about your trip to Hot Springs. I love the bonus trip reports in your trip report! Those pirate bandanas are a hoot. You all do make a roudy looking bunch in your "pirate pic". Love it! I'm a fireworks girl so I can only imagine how cool it would be to see them over the ocean. I agree with you about missing WDW though. I don't think a cruise could take the place of the parks for me.
2008 - DVC Members! Animal Kingdom Villas/Boardwalk Villas; 2009 - Offsite at Marriott's Grande Vista; 2010 - Grand Californian Villas in Disneyland; 2011 - BLT and Beach Club; 2012 - Ashton's Surprise 13th BD Trip at POP; 2013-OKW and BC in January then Offsite for Thanksgiving at Sheraton Vistana Villages; 2014 - Offsite at Marriott's Cypress Harbour for quick unplanned surprise trip.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #932
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherylcin View Post
Had to go out of town for work last week so I'm playing a little catch up. Belated happy anniversary to you and John! Can't wait to read about your trip to Hot Springs. I love the bonus trip reports in your trip report! Those pirate bandanas are a hoot. You all do make a roudy looking bunch in your "pirate pic". Love it! I'm a fireworks girl so I can only imagine how cool it would be to see them over the ocean. I agree with you about missing WDW though. I don't think a cruise could take the place of the parks for me.
Thanks for the anniversary wishes! I just uploaded half of the Hot Springs pictures and am looking for my other memory card so I can upload the water park pictures.

The fireworks over the ocean were super cool! I love watching fireworks from any place too.

I did find myself missing WDW many times during the cruise but at least I knew that we were headed there afterwards.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #933
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleTinkMom View Post
The fireworks at sea are amazing. My kids were amazed.
They certainly were amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornton0511 View Post
Hey Lisa just wanted to tell you that I am all caught up on your report and lovin it!! Oh and Happy Anniversary!!! My husband and I just celebrated our number 12 on August 12 so yay for weddings in August!!
Hey there! Happy belated anniversary to you guys too! It does seem that were a lot of weddings happening in August. I know that I have at least two or three readers with August anniversaries and my daughter and her husband celebrated their first wedding anniversary yesterday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj11 View Post
Oh wow I have been behind on your report. But I'm caught up now ! Loved the pictures John took of you posing in the porthole Hunter was looking at you like what is she doing ?
Hunter did have that look on his face didn't he. I have no idea why he was surprised.....I'm always doing something silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytothreeboys View Post
The McBride's make great PIRATES! AARRRGGGHH!!
Of course, I was the leader since I tried to stow away an iron!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!

Old 08-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #934
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Morning! Sorry I haven't been around in a couple of days. As always, it's been busy at the office and at home.

Hunter had his first official half day of school yesterday and was talking a mile a minute when I picked him up. He was a tad bit nervous about going simply because the school is soooooo big and they warned the Freshmans that they may get to their classes and know absolutely no one. Surprisingly, even though they have 630+ Freshman this year, Hunter had friends in each and every one of his classes.

They didn't have school today but he will start full days tomorrow. I'm hoping that the excitement of a new school year doesn't wear off too soon and we start the whole "did you REALLY do you homework" spiel sooner rather than later.

John went to the doctor yesterday for a check-up and to find out what they are going to do about his medicine. He's losing an average of three hours a week off work due to lots of facial twitching and partial seizures in the mornings. Some days, he can't go in until Noon and then he'll go for a week and have no problems at all. I'm thinking that they need to adjust his nightly meds because, obviously, the dose that he's taking isn't getting him through the night. They drew blood yesterday and are supposed to call me when they get the results and we'll go from there. September will mark the 20th year that we've been dealing with this darn epilepsy. I know that we have it a lot better than some epilepsy patients. At least John's seizures are mostly controlled and he hasn't had a grand mal seizure since Hunter was born. Praise be to God!

Mama is at the eye doctor now. They are doing an evalation and will be scheduling her catarac surgery and then an eye lift on both eyes. The drooping eyelids are hampering her vision so they suggested the eye lifts. I am waiting on her to call me and let me know what they said and when the surgeries are.

Hum.....any good news to share? Oh yeah, Lacey and Jesse celebrated their first wedding anniversary yesterday! They are following along in their mother and father's footsteps and did the romantic road trip. They spent time visiting with some of their fellow Master's Commission students, their Mission parents and the Mission leader and pastor in Georgia. They then went on to Helen, Georgia and spent the day there at the hotel where they stayed on their honeymoon. I talked with them this morning and they are going to head back to Tennessee later this evening because they both have to work tomorrow.

Oh well, I need to see if all of my Arkansas pictures have uploaded to Photobucket. I wanted to write a mini-trip report for our Arkansas trip and then write another installment on our Disney trip. I need to get a move on because my boss will be back from court soon. Be back in a bit with an Arkansas trip report installment.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #935
sewmess
DIS Veteran

School started around here yeaterday & we've gotten so slow (I work at a science center) I have time to check up on the DIS! Good luck to your new freshman!

Keeping both John and your mom in my thoughts for the best. It's amazing that he hasn't had a grand mal seziure for 15 years! Hallelujah for modern medicine.

I'm looking forward to your TR about Arkansas because I've never even been near it.
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS 2014: Sick Trip
Old 08-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #936
megan511
Mouseketeer

Sorry to hear of your husband's health issues. Hopefully his medication can be adjusted for better results. I hope your mom's surgery goes well.

School starts here in 2 weeks. I'm not ready! It will be my first time with an empty house, DS starts kindergarten & DD is in pre-school.

Happy Anniversary to your daughter & son in law!
Old 08-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #937
Bridora
DIS Veteran

I hope they can get John's meds worked out. And I hope everything goes well for your mama. I'll be thinking about & praying for you guys!

Hope Hunter enjoys his school year! Our kids started school yesterday. It was a move up to Jr High for Allison - lockers, switching for every class, and a bigger school, but I think it went pretty well for her. Luke's still at the same school, but he'll be switching classes once in the afternoons. They do grow up fast, don't they?

Can't wait to hear about your Hot Springs trip!
2003-My 1st Trip to Disney!-All Star Movies ** 2004-Pop Century ** 2005-All Star Movies ** 2006-Caribbean Beach ** 2007-Caribbean Beach (without the kids!) ** 2008-Port Orleans Riverside ** 2009-Polynesian (we became DVC owners!) ** 2010-Bay Lake Tower**2011-Boardwalk/Beach Club**2012-Dream & Kidani Village**2013-Old Key West
Old 08-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #938
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

My mom had the eye lift done a few years ago. At first she was really wide-eyed and I was a bit worried but after a few weeks she looked better. Her drooping eyelids (well actually between the eyelid and the eyebrow, which made the eyelids droop) were causing her vision trouble. She has no problems seeing now.

I'm sorry to hear your husband has epilepsy (fairly new to following you so I didn't know about this). I'm glad though that it has been controlled so well and I hope that they are able to get things adjusted for him.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #939
GrammyJudy
DIS Veteran

Happy Anniversary to Jesse and Lacey...ca't believe it has beeen a year...I can still picture all your photos of that beautiful day. I hope they can straighten out John's med and that you Mama has her surgery and can go back to Disney with you.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #940
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammyJudy View Post
Happy Anniversary to Jesse and Lacey...ca't believe it has beeen a year...I can still picture all your photos of that beautiful day. I hope they can straighten out John's med and that you Mama has her surgery and can go back to Disney with you.
I know! The year sure did fly by fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
My mom had the eye lift done a few years ago. At first she was really wide-eyed and I was a bit worried but after a few weeks she looked better. Her drooping eyelids (well actually between the eyelid and the eyebrow, which made the eyelids droop) were causing her vision trouble. She has no problems seeing now.

I'm sorry to hear your husband has epilepsy (fairly new to following you so I didn't know about this). I'm glad though that it has been controlled so well and I hope that they are able to get things adjusted for him.
That's what they told Mama...the eyelids were interferring with her vision. I'll be sure to tell her how well your Mama did.

Epilepsy sucks! I'm just thankful that John is relatively seizure free compared to others that I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridora View Post
I hope they can get John's meds worked out. And I hope everything goes well for your mama. I'll be thinking about & praying for you guys!

Hope Hunter enjoys his school year! Our kids started school yesterday. It was a move up to Jr High for Allison - lockers, switching for every class, and a bigger school, but I think it went pretty well for her. Luke's still at the same school, but he'll be switching classes once in the afternoons. They do grow up fast, don't they?

Can't wait to hear about your Hot Springs trip!
Thanks!

I hope that things go smoothly for Allison and Luke. They really do grow up waaaay too fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan511 View Post
Sorry to hear of your husband's health issues. Hopefully his medication can be adjusted for better results. I hope your mom's surgery goes well.

School starts here in 2 weeks. I'm not ready! It will be my first time with an empty house, DS starts kindergarten & DD is in pre-school.

Happy Anniversary to your daughter & son in law!
I too hope that they get the meds straightened out soon!

I'm telling you...kids grow up way too fast! It seems like just yesterday that they were babies. I'm sure that you'll adjust to the kids going to school and you being alone. Just imagine all the things you can get accomplished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmess View Post
School started around here yeaterday & we've gotten so slow (I work at a science center) I have time to check up on the DIS! Good luck to your new freshman!

Keeping both John and your mom in my thoughts for the best. It's amazing that he hasn't had a grand mal seziure for 15 years! Hallelujah for modern medicine.

I'm looking forward to your TR about Arkansas because I've never even been near it.
Hallelujah indeed! We'll take the facial twitches and missed work over grand mal seizures any day!

I'm about to post an Arkansas trip report now!

Old 08-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #941
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Road Trippin’ Anniversary to Arkansas!

Road Trippin’ Anniversary to Arkansas!

Our 28th wedding anniversary was August 10th so we decided to load up the car and take a road trip to Hot Springs, Arkansas and we were bringing Hunter along with us! What can I say? We are so romantic!

I get off work at Noon on Fridays so I was in charge of packing everything up and loading it into the SCAR. John would get off work at 2:30 and would need to come home, rest for a little bit and then take a shower before we could hit the road. When I got home around 12:30 or so, Hunter was still lazing around in bed. I had him get up and take a shower so that he could go with me to pick up something for us to eat before John got home. Our early dinner ended up being Subway sandwiches for John and I and a Subway cheese pizza for Hunter.

John made it home, ate his sandwich and sat down to rest for a few minutes before hopping in the shower. In the meantime, I made sure we had all the chargers packed, grabbed a few canned Cokes and bottled water and then put it all in the car. Even for just a weekend trip, we had two suitcases. Yes, I am an overpacker! But, in my defense, the forecast called for the high nineties to lower 100s and I can’t stand sweaty clothes so I packed an extra suit of clothes for each of us. We were also going to Magic Springs which is a water park and theme park combined. That meant I had to pack water park gear. Anyway, we ended up with two suitcases for a two night trip.

Mama walked over to give us goodbye hugs and assure us that she’d make sure Oddball (our dog) was fed and had plenty of water.

I’m not good at remembering what time we leave so I took a picture of the clock on the dash just as John was resetting the trip calculator/counter/thingie. Good gosh, I need to wipe off the dash of the SCAR:

The drive to Hot Springs is about 4 hours and we were itching to get there. I failed to take pictures of the scenery...wait a minute...there wasn’t much scenery. Just lots of woods and a two lane highway all the way to Gurdon, Arkansas which is where the first picture appears. For many many years, we passed through the little town of Gurdon and, every time, we wondered what in the world was the International Concatenated Order of the Hoo Hoo. Nestled in a little spot beside a Sonic Drive In is a dark brown/black log building which has a sign on it and a black cat with an arched back.

I took this one as we were approaching the Hoo Hoo. It’s just on the other side of the Sonic sign:

And I tried to get one of the building as we were driving past:

As I said, for years and years, we drove past the Hoo Hoo and wondered what went on there. Was it a place for witches and warlocks to meet? Was black magic being practiced behind the log walls? Ooh, the possibilities!

For some reason, up until about three, maybe four years ago, it didn’t occur to me to look it up on the internet. What did I find? Well, the International Concatenated Order of the Hoo Hoo is a fraternal organization of lumbermen and those in trades related to the lumber industry. Hoo Hoo is the oldest industrial fraternal organization in the United States. At the height of the organization’s popularity, membership totaled more than 13,000. The leaders certainly had a sense of humor because they named themselves Snark, Bo-Jum, Sr. High Hoo Hoo and Jabberwock and other whimsical names. Sounds like some fun guys to hang out with.

If you want to read more about the Hoo Hoos, here are a couple of interesting links:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/7541

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concate...der_of_Hoo-Hoo

We gave a salute to the Hoo Hoos and continued on towards Hot Springs. The next place that we passed that was of any interest was DeGray State Park. As you approach the park, the highway goes through a rocky area and then you drive across a long dam. This is where you get your first glimpse of the Ouachita Mountains (which you can’t see in the next set of pictures). I asked Hunter to snap some pictures:

On the left:

On the right:

Not so great pictures but pictures nevertheless. I had to take a tinkle break in Arkadelphia so we stopped at Wendy’s. We decided that ice cream was in order so John and I both got Frosties and Hunter got a vanilla shake. Ice cream in hand, we got back on the road. The frosties were good but Hunter said his shake tasted like carrots! Carrots? How the heck does a vanilla shake taste like carrots? He handed it to us to taste and it tasted bad...not like carrots...but bad. Apparently, the girl who made the shake put too much malt in the shake and it tasted nasty. Of course, we had a lot of laughs about the carrot shake and continued laughing all the way to Hot Springs.

We weren’t really sure where our hotel was but we had an idea. Still, we looked closely as we were getting into town.

We crossed the bridge over Lake Hamilton and Hunter snapped a picture of the sun setting over the lake:

The Comfort Inn was right where we thought it would be and I remembered to check the time. It took us just a little under 4 hours to get there.

*Continued in next post

Last edited by mickeystoontown; 08-21-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #942
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Check in was a breeze and we were soon checking out our room. The bathroom was immediately to the left:

The room:

Chair and ottoman in one corner:

Desk and chair in the other:

The indoor pool building and sitting area just below our window:

I’m not one for just sitting around in a hotel room when on vacation, especially on a short vacation. So, once we had our things in the room, potty breaks were made, we headed back down to the SCAR. Our plan was to drive into Downtown Hot Springs, walk the promenade and, if they hadn’t closed yet, tour one of the bathhouses.

If you don’t live in one of the States surrounding Arkansas, you may have never heard of Hot Springs National Park. Here’s a tidbit of info:

Established from Hot Springs Reservation, Hot Springs National Park is a 1. United States National Park in central Arkansas adjacent to the city of Hot Springs. Hot Springs Reservation was initially created by an act of the United States Congress on April 20, 1832, and the area was made a national park on March 4, 1921.[3] It is the smallest national park by area in the United States. Since Hot Springs National Park is the oldest federal reserve, it was the first to receive its own US quarter in April 2010 as part of the America the Beautiful Quarters series.

The hot springs flow from the western slope of Hot Springs Mountain, part of the Ouachita Mountain range. In the park, the hot springs have not been preserved in their unaltered state as natural surface phenomena. They have instead been managed to conserve the production of uncontaminated hot water for public use. The mountains within the park are also managed within this conservation philosophy in order to preserve the hydrological system that feeds the springs.

People have used the hot spring water in therapeutic baths for more than two hundred years to treat rheumatism and other ailments. While it was a reservation, the area developed into a well-known resort nicknamed The American Spa that attracted not only the wealthy but indigent health seekers from around the world as well.

The park includes portions of downtown Hot Springs, making it one of the most easily visited national parks. There are numerous hiking trails and camping areas. Bathing in spring water is available in approved facilities at extra cost. The entire Bathhouse Row area is a National Historic Landmark District that contains the grandest collection of bathhouses of its kind in North America, including many outstanding examples of Gilded Age architecture. The row's Fordyce Bathhouse serves as the park's visitor center; the Buckstaff and Quapaw are currently the only facilities still operating as bathhouses. Other buildings of the row are currently in various states of interior restoration or are used in other capacities.

The park has become increasingly popular in recent years, and recorded over 1.5 million visitors in 2003, as well as nearly 2.5 million non-recreational visitors.

If you are interested in reading more about the Park, here’s a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Springs_National_Park

In 1990, flash flooding in Hot Springs sent two separate walls of water, four to six feet high, coursing down Central Avenue. Carpenter Dam Bridge over Lake Catherine was washed away. More than 300 homes outside the Hot Springs area had to be evacuated. Central Avenue is the main street that goes through the center of town. Nearly all of the buildings, bathhouses and business in downtown Hot Springs were destroyed and it took years and years and year (they are still rebuilding some) to rebuild the downtown area.

As I mentioned in the Disney portion of the trip report, John is still very protective of the SCAR so we knew that we needed to find a parking spot on the end of Central Avenue because parking along the street is bumper to bumper and very hard to get into since the street is so very busy. We parked on this hill near Old Navy Hospital, now the State of Arkansas Department of Rehabilitation:

One of the settings on the waterproof camera that I bought before the cruise is the “drawing” setting which we thought was pretty neat:

There are many fountains along Central Avenue where people can get a feel for just how hot the water is that’s coming from the springs. By the way, the water is 147 degrees F.

Several of the fountains have a tap on them so that the public can come and fill up containers with what is believed to healing spring water. The shops dotted along the left (as you go North into town) sell empty gallon jugs for the tourist who come empty handed.

The light was waning and we wanted to walk along the mountain promenade which we thought closed at dark (but found out later that it stayed open until 10 p.m.) so we decided to walk towards the promenade first, them come back and see the rest of town.

Another fountain:

Look at the green stuff growing despite the fact that the water is so hot:

We turned the corner and were officially on “bathhouse row”. The entire right hand side of the street is made up of bathhouses.

We noticed that the Visitor’s Center was still open and that they had made a small shop in the lobby so we popped in to have a quick look around:

Hunter doing his best Park Ranger imitation:

**Continued in next post

Last edited by mickeystoontown; 08-21-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #943
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

We continued on and looked at the beautiful bathhouses and the details on the buildings:

I walked up to one of the bathhouses to see their hours and they had just 20 minutes before they closed. We figured we better do the self guided tour now or we might not make it back before we left for home. The lady at the desk told us to start on the third floor and make our way down since they closed the third floor first, then the second and the first last. The elevator was one of the old time elevators with the metal doors:

I meant to bring the flyer with me so that I could give more details on each of the rooms but I forgot so I’m going to post the pictures and try to remember best I can. I did take pictures of some of the signs so that’ll help.

This was one of the tubs where you sat on a board and they submerged you up to your neck. It was a really really deep tub:

We then moved on to the massage and lounging rooms:

The next room we visited was the gymnasium:

Several of the rooms had no furnishings or fixtures because they were getting ready to refurb the rooms and had removed the items from the rooms so I didn’t take pictures. We moved on to the room which had the glass display cases:

Back in it’s heyday, famous people from all across the country flocked to Hot Springs and it’s healing waters:

Amongst those who frequented Hot Springs was Al Capone who stayed at The Arlington Hotel and Spa. For quite some time, his car was on display in the lobby of The Arlington. I do have to forewarn any of you who are even thinking about going to Hot Springs....do NOT stay at The Arlington! I don’t care that it’s a historical landmark. I don’t care that it’s touted to be one of the best places to stay in Hot Springs! I have picture proof that you do NOT want to stay there. The wallpaper is coming off the wall, the furniture is scuffed, the electrical outlets were hanging from the walls, the walls are paper thin. I took pictures of our room, burned them to a C.D., sent a certified letter and the C.D. to the Manager and was refunded every time of my money without even asking for it. ‘Nuff said.

Back to the bathhouse tour. This was the men’s locker/shower area:

The podiatry room:

This was another area just for the men. Look at the beautiful sculpture in the middle of the room and the gorgeous stained glass ceiling. Some of the following pictures were taken by me and some were taken by Hunter with the waterproof camera using different settings.

**Continued in next post

Last edited by mickeystoontown; 08-21-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #944
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

The showers and tubs in the huge men’s room:

From there, we continued on to the room where they housed these contraptions:

You know you want to see what they looked like inside! We did too so I held my camera in the opening and took a couple of pictures:

Another set:

After reading this sign about the “contraption” I can’t believe nobody died in those things!

The next set of pictures were taken in the ladies’ pack room:

The men had bronze sculptures and stained glass ceilings. The women had little bitty stained glass windows:

An announcement was made that the bathhouse would be closing in just a few minutes and that guests should finish up their tours and make their way to the lobby. I had Hunter take a picture of the anniversary couple:

On the way out, we saw the neat fans on the wall and I took a picture:

**Continued in next post

Old 08-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #945
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

We thanked the lady at the desk and walked back out onto the sidewalk pausing long enough for me to take a few more pictures of the building’s details:

It was getting darker so we figured we better pick up the pace if we wanted to see while walking along the promenade. Another one of the hot springs that come out from the side of the mountain:

Pictures taken from the promenade with some looking down on the city. Again, some were taken by me and some were taken by Hunter:

I sat the camera on one of the little ledges and took a family picture which didn’t turn out too bad considering there wasn’t much sunlight:

Hunter and John on the promenade:

We walked all the way to where we parked and walked back down the street where we came across yet another hot spring:

Because it was getting pretty late, many of the shops had closed or were about to start closing up but we were able to duck into a few. Most of them were typical tourist shops...3 t-shirts for $10.00 and were stocked with plenty of gaudy items. We did find one really cute beaver made of logs:

By the time we were done, only the small eateries and bars were open and most of the folks out and about were motorcyclist or car/truck enthusiast. We were ready for something to eat so we headed back to the car and went in search of food. We didn’t really know what we wanted but we knew that we were very limited because of the late hour. It was a little after 10:00 p.m. I spied a Pizza Hut and pulled in. One of the delivery drivers pulled in at the same time and we asked him what time they closed. We were in luck, they didn’t close until 11:00 p.m. Two pizzas and a few Mountain Dews later, we were ready to hit the sheets. Tomorrow, we were headed for Hot Springs!

**Up next: Roller coasters and lazy rivers!

Tags
caribbean beach resort, disney dream cruise

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: