Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #871
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittypatBR View Post
Hope you are enjoying your weekend in Hot Springs. We were there a month ago visiting friends and picking up my grandchildren from camp. My friends live on the lake and have a party barge, so we had a lot of fun.
I am so proud of Hunter for trying the escargot. I have had them twice, both times on a cruise! Mine were in a garlic butter sauce, and all you could taste was the sauce, so I liked them. It is kind of like eating a chargrilled oyster - it is what is on it that is important! I love to try different things, so I really like the smaller portions they serve. My grandchildren are very adventurous in their food choices - they even like all kind of sushi as well as lots of ethnic foods. And we all love calamari!
I think you might like a cruise on a smaller ship. The ones I have been on carry fewer passengers so you don't get that overwhelming multitude of people!
We usually camp when we are in Hot Springs but it's too hot to camp right now. I can imagine that living on the lake there would be fantastic!

The escargot were in a garlic buttery type sauce too.

When my kids were younger, they would try anything and everything. Now...not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLiz View Post
Escargot has been on my "to try" list for a while. I will definitely have to try the mushroom ones since I love mushrooms!

Love the porthole pics! I completely agree about needing a window or verandah. I know that a lot of people don't like to spend a lot of time in their staterooms, but I love to be able to get away from the crowds and still have a beautiful view.

We are already looking at the menus for our cruise to see what we can force our girls to try. My youngest isn't quite at the point where she is nervous about trying new things but my oldest can freak out sometimes. It's hilarious, but she knows that the rule is to try at least three new things on every vacation.
If you like mushrooms, then I think you'd like the escargot.

I am so glad that I continued upgrading our stateroom until we ended up with the one that we had. The whole thing felt and looked bigger with that big porthole on the end.

Oh I like the rule...three new things on every vacation. We usually stick to just one new thing but I like the three better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytothreeboys View Post
Hey Lisa. I'm back and all caught up once again!

The boat tour looks cool! I know neither Jeff or I would have been able to handle the submarine part of the trip. The close quarters would have been too much for him and I'm not sure my stomach would have been happy about it! Looks like you saw some cool stuff though!

The driving in Nassau is definitely crazy! I had already known that before we arrived because I had taken a mission trip to Jamaica and they drive the same way! LOL! Jeff was not prepared though and was a bit frightened on our taxi trip across the city to the zoo!

We did the Nassau part of the tour on foot. We LOVED it! We saw all the same things that you did on your bus tour, but we were able to go at our own pace. We took a pic of that "protect ya tings" sign...do you remember it from my TR?? FUNNY!

Sorry you missed the Straw market...it is definitely an experience!

Good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone and eating some different foods! That's what a trip like this is all about!

Oh.....and the elephant towel creation is adorable!
I thought about you as soon as I stepped foot in Nassau! I remembered the cruise that you guys took and your tour through town.

Wasn't the elephant cute!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 08-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #872
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy-rella View Post
Love the Newsboys! Can't wait to hear about pirate night.
Pirate night was a blast and one of the highlights of the entire cruise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I had intended to order the escargot prior to the trip and totally spaced! I suppose they do taste like mushrooms (which I love) but I'd never thought about it! I think Royal Palace is very pretty, we really enjoyed our meal there and good for all of you for stepping outside your comfort zone!

Love the porthole pics. While conceptually the virtual porthole seems cool, I need to see outside and would have a hard time with an inside room. I think for a first cruise, the 3 night would be hard. You are just getting your bearings and then off the ship. I found that the 4 night felt short and probably would have been far more disoriented had we not been on a 7 night before. If you do cruise again, you might like the smaller ships better too. I didn't find the Dream to really feel that much bigger...just taller.
Yeah, I don't think I would have enjoyed the room with the virtual porthole. I'm thinking that we would enjoy a four night cruise more if we ever go back. Like you said, it takes a while to get your bearings and I didn't really do enough research in order for us to really know what was going on and what we needed to do.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #873
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Thank you all for the anniversary wishes! We went to Hot Springs, Arkansas this weekend and had a great time. I took pictures (like ya'll would ever question whether I would or not ) and will do a mini-trip report when I get a little more time. Work is pretty busy today.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #874
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Thank you all for the anniversary wishes! We went to Hot Springs, Arkansas this weekend and had a great time. I took pictures (like ya'll would ever question whether I would or not ) and will do a mini-trip report when I get a little more time. Work is pretty busy today.

Glad you had a fun anniversary get away! Your pictures peaked my interest in Hot Springs!! It has been a long time since I have been there!
Old 08-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #875
Coconuts
DIS Veteran

Just caught up on all of your updates. I was thinking about taking the same excursion in Nassau so I was glad to read your review.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #876
MEK
DIS Veteran

Got a little behind with my trip to the beach last week. Can't see your pictures from the last update, but that meal sounds fantastic, even if you didn't like the caviar! (Did I spell that right? I don't think so....). Not sure if I have ever tried it.

With your descriptions of the food, I seriously can't wait for my first cruise. Looking forward to your pirate costumes.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 08-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #877
DisBamaGirl
Earning My Ears

Just dropping a note to say that I love reading your trips reports! Your writing style is fantastic....it's just like you're having a little chat with all of us! Thanks for sharing your trips with us!
Old 08-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #878
Chrissi Khris
Earning My Ears

Hello! Just thought I'll say hi ! I read all of your trip report, I think there brilliant and help me with my disney withdrawals . It sucks to live so far away from disney!!

2002 All star Moives, 2004 All star Moives, 2005 Pop Century, 2007 All star Moives,2008 All star Music, 2009 All star Music.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #879
Bridora
DIS Veteran

Almost not even worth posting! This was my first plate from lunch at Cabana's on Thursday, May 24: some bread, veggies, and I can't remember what that was at the top! You can see a slice of pizza, too, probably on Luke's plate! I guess I was too busy eating the rest of the time because that's the only picture I took!

Glad you had a good time in Hot Springs - thought about y'all while we were shopping!
2003-My 1st Trip to Disney!-All Star Movies ** 2004-Pop Century ** 2005-All Star Movies ** 2006-Caribbean Beach ** 2007-Caribbean Beach (without the kids!) ** 2008-Port Orleans Riverside ** 2009-Polynesian (we became DVC owners!) ** 2010-Bay Lake Tower**2011-Boardwalk/Beach Club**2012-Dream & Kidani Village**2013-Old Key West
Old 08-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #880
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I'm coming back to do replies but I wanted to post an installment while I could.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #881
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Arrrgh! Shiver Me Timbers! Itís Arrrrrkansas!

***Something that I forgot to mention before and I am remembering now was the fact that Hunter had gone to the teen club, Vibe, the night before. He had a blast! The boy can make friends with a stranger faster than you can count to 1. Yep, I said 1. Thatís pretty darn quick. When he got to the club, they changed out his boring room key with one that had VIBE on it. He said that they had all sorts of video games and they had trivia contests and boy vs. girl games. He really enjoyed it.

Believe it or not, we found our room pretty easily. (I donít hold it against you if you thought that weíd gotten lost. I was pretty surprised that we didnít too. )

We found gold dubloons and a navigator on our bed:

And this hanging in the sitting area of the stateroom:

Looks like Mr. Ape Man had one to many cocktails....he was swinging from the hangers and shielding his eyes from the bright light by wearing Hunterís sunglasses!

Here I am imitating Vanna White again:

Before the cruise, I had read that all guests were invited to dress in pirate costume if they wanted but I knew that there was no way that Iíd get my bunch to dress up. So, I didnít even try. I know how to pick my battles and asking my men to don pirate garb wasnít a battle I wanted to choose. Instead of puffy pirate shirts or wench outfits, we changed into t-shirts and shorts and our pirate bandanas. Oh my gosh! We were all in tears trying to get those tiny bandanas on our heads. Thank goodness we arenít self-conscious folks or we would have walked around wondering why our heads were bigger than the average Joeís. Note to Disney Cruise Line: Please produce bandanas that are a bit larger.

Wanna see why we were laughing so hard? Of course you do!

Hunter looking like a little old German woman :

John looking like the Pope :

We never could get Johnís bandana around his head but we were able to tie it around his ballcap and then he forced the cap on his head. I sat the camera on one of the shelves by the mirror and took a group picture using the timer on the camera.

Doing our best pirate impression! ARRRRRRGH!

**Continued in next post

Last edited by mickeystoontown; 08-15-2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Arrrgh! Shiver Me Timbers! Itís Arrrrrkansas!
Old 08-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #882
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Once we were all decked out (pun intended), we left our stateroom and made our way to where the evening’s festivities were being held. The spots right along the railing were already taken but we could see fairly good and the whole thing was on the Jumbotron too.

As we were standing around waiting on the party to get started we spotted Arrrrrrkansas! We chatted for a while sharing our thoughts on the cruise. Without giving too much away because Bridora hasn’t gotten this far into her trip report yet, I’ll just say that her family and my family felt pretty much the same way about the cruise at that point in time...it was a Disney cruise but it certainly wasn’t Walt Disney World. And, again, without going into too much detail, our thoughts on Nassau lined up with one another’s too. (Link to Bridora’s trip report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2972347)

The fireworks started a little bit later and I was able to take some decent pictures:

Who would have ever thought that we’d be viewing fireworks from a cruise ship? For that matter, who would have ever thought that kids would be able to watch a movie in a car? Or play games on a little bitty handheld device? Or that we’d have phones that could go with us anywhere? Or that an airplane would be able to fly across the sky? Or a heavy cruise ship could stay afloat in the ocean? Okay, so I’m getting carried away with my “Or that...” but seriously, it was very cool watching fireworks in the middle of the ocean.

Okay, back to the pirate party. As I said, most of the good spots along the railing were taken but we could see the goings-on on the Jumbotron. I tried taking pictures but they turned out pretty bad. See:

Jack Sparrow making his grand entrance:

This one isn’t that bad:

Hunter moved up further to take pictures with his phone. (Or that....a person could take pictures on a phone that can go with you anywhere?)

I am so happy that Bridget remembered to have us take a picture before we parted ways ‘cause I totally forgot. She’s looking good and I’m looking like a hot mess!

***Up next: Bustin’ a move and dancin’ like nobody’s looking....except a few hundred people!

Last edited by mickeystoontown; 08-15-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #884
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

Love the pirate family pictures! So fun!

That's awesome that Hunter enjoyed the teen club so much. It seems that DCL really does their clubs for the youngsters right.

Great fireworks pictures! How fun to see them in the middle of the ocean! Did you notice any other cruise lines' ships lingering around yours? I've hear on other TRs that can happen on fireworks night.

DH really wants to go on DCL, but I've been too afraid that I'd miss the parks. Your TR is kind of reinforcing that for me. Maybe someday, but I'm happy with our WDW vacations for now!
Old 08-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #885
BelleTinkMom
DIS Veteran

Hi Lisa. I'm all caught up. Summer has been crazy over here!

Happy Anniversary!! Sorry I'm a little late

Great TR so far. We had a blast on our cruise and we are going back in 2014.

Y'all look like y'all have so much fun!!
I am nuts....for bringing the in-laws-a May/June 2011 TR. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post41825167

Tags
caribbean beach resort, disney dream cruise

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: