Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #856
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis6306 View Post
I think the picture of you in a ball in the window is actually very sweet and lovely! When I saw it, I thought it was beautiful that John caught that moment!

I LOVE me some Lobster… really, I'm all for any kind of shellfish!!
I was still a bit cold and I was all huddle up in the window.

The lobster was good and I'd try it again for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Jetson View Post
Sorry you had to see the drunk man as soon as you got there I would hate for River to have to see that. I would have been a nervous wreck with that bus driver. As for that sign I guess it IS important to protect Ya Tings I think if I ever to get to take a cruise I will skip going into Nassau I had no idea it was like that. Do they have a lot of other things to choose from?

What a nice touch to have the cms waiting with warm towels for you!

I really liked your pictures in the porthole.

I don't think I could have been that brave trying snails. Like you said I don't cook the bugs from my garden. But I'm glad you all tried new thing and liked them!

Happy Anniversary and I hope you all have a fun trip this weekend!
If we ever go back to Nassau, I'll book a different excursion or even do the first and second part of the See and Sea tour and skip the bus portion.

I had to brace myself for the first bite of the snail but it was actually pretty good.

I'm ready to hit the road as soon as John gets home and cleaned up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEASONK View Post
Enjoyed the update! I know whatcha mean about stepping out of your comfort zone with those food choices. I have only been exploded to caviar once, and that was enough for this country girl. People are surprised that I enjoy some good gulf shrimp over lobster.

Enjoy your Hot Springs trip, we spent a couple days in May up there, but we didn't make it to magic springs. I have promised my son, Briar, a Magic Springs trip next year.
If I had to chose between shrimp and lobster, I'd take shrimp anyday. I guess it all depends what you are raised on.

I didn't buy the online Magic Springs tickets yet because I want to wait and see how the crowds are in town. Oh and see how the weather is. I'd hate to buy $150 work of tickets and then not get to use them.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 08-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #857
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretames1 View Post
I think I would love to sit in a big ole porthole and just watch the sun go down.

The ship is just so beautiful, I love seeing everyone's pictures of her.

SNAILS! You would have to tie me up and force feed me, NO HOW, NO WAY would even consider eating them! Just knowing what they are, I would gag if I even tried.

The rest of your food looked very good, and desert Mmmmmmm.
I spent a lot of time sitting in the porthole. The views were always amazing.

I thought that I might get a little gag on when I tried the snails but I was surprised by their texture and taste. Not at all what I was expecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie12591 View Post
Whew! Finally caught up!

Great TR as always. I love reading about your family, y'all have such a great time together.

Reading along with your posts about the cruise has convinced me more than ever I would not like taking a cruise. I'd rather stay in my own little "Disney world," while at Disney World, and leave the ships to everyone else.

I'm glad you are sharing the good, the bad and the ugly, and that you aren't trying to sugar coat this cruise. It really has helped me to see things that I wouldn't have known about other wise. Sorry to sound like a downer, your transparency is helping me to make a really well informed decision.

Can't wait to read more about your trip!!

Glad that you're all caught up and ready to read the rest (when I get to it). When I write my trip reports, I do like to post very honest opinions about everything just like you said, the good, the bad and the ugly. (Hate to admit it but all of those come up on our last night aboard the ship). If I didn't post my honest opinion, then others wouldn't learn from my trip reports. I'd rather have an honest opinion than a sugar coated one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Yay for being adventurous that night with your food! It's fun to try new things, even if you don't end up really liking them. That said - I don't think I'd be brave enough to try escargot! (Especially now that you say they're like mushrooms - one of my least favorite foods!)
It is fun to try new things especially when you know that the waiter will bring out something else if you don't like the "adventurous" foods. I was surprised that the escargot wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #858
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407-W-DISNEY View Post
Hi Lisa,
Happy Anniversary to you and John! Have a wonderful weekend!!!
Thank you! We intend to enjoy every minute away from home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddstratton View Post
I like the porthole pictures! Also -- kudos to John for getting pics of the room details.

Ordering escargot -- very brave! I'm not sure I would... But I bet my DD would. She's one to try anything once.
Thanks! I didn't remember your daughter being an adventurous eater. So you think she'd try the escargot?

Old 08-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #859
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Yup, I think she'd try it. If someone suggested it to her. She's not one to go out looking for new things to try, but if offered - she'll give it a shot.

May 2016 Pre-Trip Report <--Also includes a Mini Trip Report of our March 2014 trip to Asheville/Gatlinburg

May 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report and
The AutoTrain, Disney World and More! Trip Report

October 2008 - Caribbean Beach
Pre-Trip Report and Trip Report
Old 08-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #860
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddstratton View Post
Yup, I think she'd try it. If someone suggested it to her. She's not one to go out looking for new things to try, but if offered - she'll give it a shot.
If she ever does try escargot....take picture proof!

Old 08-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #861
Cindy-rella
Mouseketeer

Love the Newsboys! Can't wait to hear about pirate night.

DH :Me DD10 DS8
2007 - Fort Wilderness Campground
2009 - All Star Movie
2011 All Star Sports

Old 08-11-2012, 02:04 AM   #862
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

I had intended to order the escargot prior to the trip and totally spaced! I suppose they do taste like mushrooms (which I love) but I'd never thought about it! I think Royal Palace is very pretty, we really enjoyed our meal there and good for all of you for stepping outside your comfort zone!

Love the porthole pics. While conceptually the virtual porthole seems cool, I need to see outside and would have a hard time with an inside room. I think for a first cruise, the 3 night would be hard. You are just getting your bearings and then off the ship. I found that the 4 night felt short and probably would have been far more disoriented had we not been on a 7 night before. If you do cruise again, you might like the smaller ships better too. I didn't find the Dream to really feel that much bigger...just taller.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #863
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

Hey Lisa. I'm back and all caught up once again!

The boat tour looks cool! I know neither Jeff or I would have been able to handle the submarine part of the trip. The close quarters would have been too much for him and I'm not sure my stomach would have been happy about it! Looks like you saw some cool stuff though!

The driving in Nassau is definitely crazy! I had already known that before we arrived because I had taken a mission trip to Jamaica and they drive the same way! LOL! Jeff was not prepared though and was a bit frightened on our taxi trip across the city to the zoo!

We did the Nassau part of the tour on foot. We LOVED it! We saw all the same things that you did on your bus tour, but we were able to go at our own pace. We took a pic of that "protect ya tings" sign...do you remember it from my TR?? FUNNY!

Sorry you missed the Straw market...it is definitely an experience!

Good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone and eating some different foods! That's what a trip like this is all about!

Oh.....and the elephant towel creation is adorable!
Old 08-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #864
MissLiz
DIS Veteran

Escargot has been on my "to try" list for a while. I will definitely have to try the mushroom ones since I love mushrooms!

Love the porthole pics! I completely agree about needing a window or verandah. I know that a lot of people don't like to spend a lot of time in their staterooms, but I love to be able to get away from the crowds and still have a beautiful view.

We are already looking at the menus for our cruise to see what we can force our girls to try. My youngest isn't quite at the point where she is nervous about trying new things but my oldest can freak out sometimes. It's hilarious, but she knows that the rule is to try at least three new things on every vacation.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #865
PittypatBR
DIS Veteran

Hope you are enjoying your weekend in Hot Springs. We were there a month ago visiting friends and picking up my grandchildren from camp. My friends live on the lake and have a party barge, so we had a lot of fun.
I am so proud of Hunter for trying the escargot. I have had them twice, both times on a cruise! Mine were in a garlic butter sauce, and all you could taste was the sauce, so I liked them. It is kind of like eating a chargrilled oyster - it is what is on it that is important! I love to try different things, so I really like the smaller portions they serve. My grandchildren are very adventurous in their food choices - they even like all kind of sushi as well as lots of ethnic foods. And we all love calamari!
I think you might like a cruise on a smaller ship. The ones I have been on carry fewer passengers so you don't get that overwhelming multitude of people!

First trip to DW June 1977, Dutch Inn with DH, DS8, DS6, DD4
July 1996, ASMovies; April 2002, ASMusic; June 2005, Coronado Springs;
May 5-12, 2007, Pop Century; May 30-June 6, 2010, Marriott Grande Vista;
First trip to DL Oct. 9-15, 2011 Anaheim Marriott

May 2007 Pre-trip and trip report: NO COMMANDO?? . . . .ARGHH! Can I do this?
Old 08-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #866
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

Looks like you had a fun photo session in the port hole, LOL. I must say that is an awesome port hole/window, huge!

The first cruise I ever went on was with my parents, I think I was about Hunter's age, it was 4 of us in the room, my parents, my aunt and myself, and it was much smaller than your room, the rooms back then were REALLY cramped, it was basically 2 sets of bunk beds and we had a port hole but you had to pretty much climb on top of the chest of drawers/dresser to see out of it and it was high up, we have a pic of my mom sitting up there to take pictures, LOL

That Royal palace is a beautiful restaurant.

Glad you ventured out of your comfort zone, but I must say I was most shocked at Hunter's choice! I applaud his bravery, LOL I don't think I could do it. I have had that red caviar and I agree it is VERY yucky!! The funny thing is, I didn't know that's what it was when I had it, it was on a cruise at a Captain's cocktail party and they had it on the little hors' dourves' trays that came around (I am pretty sure I butchered that, LOL) and I think I thought it was jelly on a cracker, Imagine my surprise when I popped that bad boy in my mouth!!! LOL

8/1985--Days Inn Sand Lake Rd, 8/1987-- Wilson World, 12/1987-- Contemporary, 8/1989-- Caribbean Beach, 12/1989-- Port Orleans (now POFQ), 7/1990-- Caribbean Beach, 6/1991-- Carribbean Beach (Senior Week!), 8/1992-- Port Orleans (Now POFQ), 9/1995--All Star Music, August 1998-- Dixie Landings -Alligator Bayou (now PO Riverside), 7/1999-- All Star Movies, 11/2004-- Pop Century, 5/2010 POR Magnolia Bend, 5/2011 Saratoga Springs Resort
Old 08-11-2012, 11:49 PM   #867
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

I love your porthole pics. Too cool.
I do like Escargot too. I try to order them on every cruise....because they are free. i did once at a fancy restaurant...and they weren't as good there and Skip kind of complained that I ordered them...so I will stick to getting them on cruise. LOL
Old 08-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #868
addictedtothemouse
DIS Veteran

Happy Anniversary!
I love the lamp shades. It's cool that they have a castle where all of the Disney parks are located.
Caviar? Escargot? Ok I admit I'm not a very adventurous eater, so I will leave the experimental eating to my DM and DD.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #869
caper4
Earning My Ears

All up to date and I love your postings. Since so many are old hatters at staying at the Caribbean Resort, can someone direct me where to see up to date pictures of the Jamaica section. I'm looking for inside pics of the room, how many floors and general, what's around that section. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #870
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper4 View Post
All up to date and I love your postings. Since so many are old hatters at staying at the Caribbean Resort, can someone direct me where to see up to date pictures of the Jamaica section. I'm looking for inside pics of the room, how many floors and general, what's around that section. Thanks.
Welcome! I have more pictures of Jamaica coming up soon! We've stayed in Jamaica quite a few times and we really enjoy that village.

Each of the CBR village buildings have two floors and, although there are no elevators, the stairs are easy to get up and down. Also in each village, there are quiet pools, laundry rooms, bus stop and sitting area. I believe there is also a small playground on the Jamaica beach.

If you have any more specific CBR questions, feel free to ask away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtothemouse View Post
Happy Anniversary!
I love the lamp shades. It's cool that they have a castle where all of the Disney parks are located.
Caviar? Escargot? Ok I admit I'm not a very adventurous eater, so I will leave the experimental eating to my DM and DD.
Thank You! We aren't very adventurous eaters either and usually stuck to what we know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I love your porthole pics. Too cool.
I do like Escargot too. I try to order them on every cruise....because they are free. i did once at a fancy restaurant...and they weren't as good there and Skip kind of complained that I ordered them...so I will stick to getting them on cruise. LOL
Had we not been on the cruise (and knew that there were other options available), we would have never stepped out of our food comfort zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmr2 View Post
Looks like you had a fun photo session in the port hole, LOL. I must say that is an awesome port hole/window, huge!

The first cruise I ever went on was with my parents, I think I was about Hunter's age, it was 4 of us in the room, my parents, my aunt and myself, and it was much smaller than your room, the rooms back then were REALLY cramped, it was basically 2 sets of bunk beds and we had a port hole but you had to pretty much climb on top of the chest of drawers/dresser to see out of it and it was high up, we have a pic of my mom sitting up there to take pictures, LOL

That Royal palace is a beautiful restaurant.

Glad you ventured out of your comfort zone, but I must say I was most shocked at Hunter's choice! I applaud his bravery, LOL I don't think I could do it. I have had that red caviar and I agree it is VERY yucky!! The funny thing is, I didn't know that's what it was when I had it, it was on a cruise at a Captain's cocktail party and they had it on the little hors' dourves' trays that came around (I am pretty sure I butchered that, LOL) and I think I thought it was jelly on a cracker, Imagine my surprise when I popped that bad boy in my mouth!!! LOL
I am soooooo glad that I upgraded our stateroom from an inside stateroom to one with the big porthole. We all loved looking out of the porthole and seeing the view.

The caviar was just plain gross to me! I can see how you were super surprised thinking it was jelly and it turned out to be caviar.

Tags
caribbean beach resort, disney dream cruise

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: