Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #811
deedeew80
Dreaming of My Prince

Hi Lisa! Great update as always! Nassau seemed interesting to say the least! Maybe a bit better to look at from aboard the ship! Anywho! So great that you are able to sneak in another small trip before the start of school!! Should be fun! Happy (early) Anniversary!!! Hope it's a good one!!!!

Old 08-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #812
megan511
Mouseketeer

Happy Anniversary (a little early.)

Enjoy your trip! It's always nice to get away.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #813
MHTeacher
DIS Veteran

Interesting tour of Nassau, it sounds like! You don't see the pictures of all that on the Atlantis commercials, do you?

Hope you have a happy anniversary and a fun, safe trip this weekend!

Hold my umbrella while I find your poncho-May 2012 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...64&postcount=1
Disney Dining, DIS Meets, and WAIT-Why is that lady holding onto my husband?May,2010 TR http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=1
DON'T CRY OR WE'LL RIDE DINOSAUR AGAIN! March, 2010 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post35995716
A 16th Birthday/New Years Celebration(with 75000 of our closest friends) Dec. 2009 TR-http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34927152

All Star Sports 2001 Coronado Springs 2003 Wilderness Lodge 2005 Polynesian 2007 POR- 2007 POR 2008 Polynesian 2009 Yacht Club 2009 POR 2010 Beach Club 2010 Polynesian 2012 POP 2013
Old 08-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #814
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post

Our 28th wedding anniversary is Friday and we are going to Hot Springs, Arkansas just to get out of town and get in one final trip before school starts. Yes, you're thinking correctly, Hunter is going with us on our anniversary trip. What can I say? We are such romantics!
I hope you have a very enjoyable anniversary!

Don't worry about bringing Hunter! Kadence has been along on all of our anniversary dinners and outings. We told her that when we hit 25 yrs, she has to stay home. She'll be eighteen and I think it may be time for us for once!
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931
First Ever Trip to Disney World 1/23/2009 (POR) 6 days
Back to Disney World 1/21/2011 (POR) 10 days

Shhh! Suprise MNSSHP Trip 9/21/2011 (POP) 5 days
Surprise...AGAIN! 11/1/12 (AoA) 11 days
ME: Carey DH: John DD: Kadence (10) DD: Samantha (20)
Old 08-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #815
francis6306
DIS Veteran

I LOVE the Newsboys! I have seen them several times! Have fun on your trip! I actually got to meet the one guitar player with the curly blonde hair. He was really nice. It was before he had his solo album back when I was in College.

July '14 Girl's Trip!! PTR

Mar 2014 PTR ~ Nov '12 PTR~'Dec '10:My Pretrip Report My Trip Report!~'05 Girls trip Pop Century~
'99 Magical Music Days~81-90's Various offsite/onsite trips
Old 08-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #816
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

I'm all caught up! It is true, cabanas is theoretically like Boma, with pods but if you ask me it's just too narrow to pull it off. I found if I avoided the hot foods and stuck to muesli with toppings or plain yogurt (which they'd get if you asked) I was pretty content. On our Nassau day I had a surprisingly decent eggs Benedict but the rest of the hot food left a bit to be desired. Loved the muesli and toppings though!

Neat excursion, I'd expected Nassau to be about how it was, couldn't convince Jeff we should just stay on the ship and sure enough, after about 2 hours they all wanted to go back. We also got dumped on, we were amazed by the lack of drainage in the streets! It looked like it was flooding. Glad you enjoyed the house tour and semi sub so much and were greeted by warm towels. Too funny on the ID!
Old 08-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #817
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Nope, I move as slow as a snail so you weren't behind.

I'd love to see the pictures of the water sloshing on the cruise ship. If you find them, post 'em here so we can all take a look see.
I am slow too so understandable!! I like slow!

I will see what I can do this weekend on those pictures! I hope your anniversary get away is so fun and relaxing!! We took Madison and Chris to Atlanta on our anniversary...we just hate to not have them with us!

Your description of that bus made me want to take a bath!! Gross!!!! The third leg sounds very un-magical!
Old 08-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #819
maryj11
DIS Veteran

I'm still keeping up

Old 08-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #820
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Sunsets, smiles & snails! Snails?

Sunsets, smiles & snails! Snails?

We used the wonderfully warm towels to dry off with and made our way back to our stateroom to rest a while.

I couldn’t pass by the lovely atrium without taking a picture of two:

I used the time to sit in the porthole and watch the others as they ran back to the ship. From what it looked like quite a few folks had decided to call it a day as well. Without my knowing it, John took a picture of me in the porthole.

Once I realized that he had taken my picture and I was all waded up in a ball, I told him that I’d strike a better pose for him:

How about this one?

Yeah, those pictures just go to show why I would never make it as a super model or a hostess lady whatever she is called on The Price Is Right.

Hunter turned on the television and I continued to watch the people walk back to the ship.

John asked me if I had taken pictures of the details in the room and I told him that I had not so he took a few for me to post on the Disboards:

By the time we realized it, it was almost time for the show to start and, again, we realized that there was no way we could be ready in time. So, we took our time getting ready and watched the sunset from our porthole:

It was then that we said we’d never go on a cruise again unless we had a room with a large porthole or a verandah/balcony.

We were all gussied up and ready to eat our dinner so we started out the door and decided to take the stairs again since we had found that the elevators on the 8th floor took quite some time to get there. Huh? Which way was it to the Royal Palace again? We saw another family who had the same look on their face. Apparently, we stood out like a sore thumb and a castmember, who happened to look very similar to Mr. White Uniform who almost took me to security, took pity on us. He asked where we were going and when we said to the Royal Palace, he said “follow me”. He took us right up to the door of the restaurant and we thanked him profusely. I don’t know that we would have ever found it had we taken the route that he took.

While we stood waiting for the doors to open, I took more pictures of the beautiful chandelier in the atrium:

And one looking up:

A castmember came around passing out the hand sanitizer wipes and told us that the restaurant would be opening soon.

I don’t know how all of you who have taken a cruise on the Disney Dream get pictures as you are walking into the restaurant. There were too many people around and it was all hustle and bustle and I couldn’t have snapped a picture if I had wanted to. So, I’ll borrow one from the internet so that you can see the entrance into the restaurant:

**Continued in next post

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 08-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #821
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Once we were seated, we could see that the table beside us would be empty, the guests that were to the left of us last night would seated in front of us and Mr. Camo Hat man and his group were seated behind us. Because our tables were not as cramped as they had been the night before and I didn’t have people sitting so closely to me, I decided to give taking pictures a try.

The napkins:

Menu (borrowed this picture because mine came out blurry):

The bread basket:

Hunter looking all snazzed up for the evening:

John and I:

Tonight we were going to be adventurous! We were going to go where no McBride had ever gone! We were going to order something way outside our comfort zone!

Hunter ordered.....are you ready for this? Hunter ordered the Escargots GratinésHerb-marinated Snails with Finely Chopped Mushrooms, topped with Garlic Butter and Breadstick . Yes, the boy was stepping waaaaay outside his food comfort zone.

I decided to order the Double Baked Spinach SouffléCoated with a Three-Cheese Cream:

and, because I hemmed and hawed a bit when ordering and I mentioned that I really loved salads, the waiter also brought out the Avocado-Citrus SaladWith Iceberg and Radicchio Leaves and an Orange Vinaigrette

John ordered the The Comtesse Du Barry's SoupRich Velvety Cauliflower Cream, topped with Salmon Caviar Croutons

and Iced Lobster and Jumbo ShrimpWhite and Green Asparagus, Micro Greens and Lemon-dill dressing with Horseradish Cream

Now, I know that ya’ll are probably thinking....how is eating lobster, cauliflower and salad stepping out of the food comfort zone? First off, we are crab and shrimp eaters, lobster doesn’t make it to our plates in Louisiana. John’s not a big cauliflower eater and if he does eat it, it’s steamed and has lots of cheese on top. Oh and the caviar that was on top of the crouton...yeah, haven’t ever tried caviar. And escargot....well, let’s not pussyfoot around it....they are snails people! I usually fling the snails off my flower pots, not cook ‘em.

Hunter mentally preparing himself for his first bite of escargot:

The fork is going in:

The verdict? “Well, it does take like a mushroom but I don’t like mushrooms. I’ll eat another one though just so I can say that I ate more than one escargot.” John and I both had two each and we agreed that they tasted like a mushroom. Would I go out of my way to order them again? Probably not but I wouldn’t snub my nose at them like I would have before trying them.

The spinach souffle was pretty good despite the fact that I can not stand spinach. The salad would have been a lot better had they taken the rind/white skin off of the oranges when they sectioned them. I am picky about that though when others might not mind the extra chewing. I tried the cauliflower soup and it was good. The caviar? Yuck! I didn’t like it one bit nor did John.

For our entrees, Hunter ordered the plain roasted chicken breast but did ask for fries as a side this time. John and I both ordered the Royal Palace Aged Angus Grilled Beef Tenderloin and Lobster Medallions. I’m looking at the menu on the Disney Cruiseline site and it has a different side than the one that we ordered. Our’s had a polenta cake on the bottom:

Our waiter commented on the fact that Hunter and I hadn’t finished our entrees and asked if we didn’t like them or wanted something else. We told him no that the food was fine, we were just full. He then asked if we wanted a dessert. Hunter said that he didn’t want anything but John and I went ahead and ordered despite the fact that we were both full.

I ordered the Sweet TemptationsA trio of Peanut Butter Mousse, Mango Cheesecake, and Tahitian Vanilla Crème Brûlée:

John couldn’t decide what he wanted so the waiter said that he’d bring out a special dessert for him. This is what came out:

The chocolate had Happy Anniversary on it. I had made a notation that we were celebrating our anniversary (even though it was a couple of months early) and, clearly, there was a notation on our dinner reservation.

The sweet temptations trio was great even though I’m not a big fan of mousse. It had just the right amount of peanut butter flavor and the cheesecake, well, it was cheesecake and I’m all over any type of cheesecake. The Tahitian creme brulee was our favorite of the three. The chocolate dessert that John had was a little too chocolatey for the two of us but it was still very good.

We definitely enjoyed our meal more than we did the meal at the Enchanted Garden. I believe it had a lot to do with the fact that we weren’t at a back table and we didn’t have the smooshed in feeling.

Tonight was pirate night and we wanted to make sure that we had time to change our clothes and find a spot on the deck so we left the dining room and made our way back to our stateroom.

**Up next: Arrrgh! Shiver Me Timbers! It’s Arrrrrkansas!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!

Last edited by mickeystoontown; 08-09-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #822
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Happy Anniversary!!! Have a fantastic trip to Hot Springs.

The only anniversary we have spent together without the kids (well, since they were born) was our 25th and that wasn't until 8 months after the actual anniversary!

Good to have you back safely on board the ship! I love all your pictures of and from the porthole. Beautiful sunsets. I'm with you, we will never cruise without a balcony or porthole.

I'm glad to hear dinner was a more enjoyable experience this time around. Good for you all for getting out of your comfort zone. Wow, Hunter. When you decide to step it up, you really step it up. Escargot ain't for the timid.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #823
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Lisa, I'm sorry....I've missed two updates.

Okay, Nassau certainly does not look like a place I really want to visit. And the bus? Seriously?

Your meal at the Royal Palace sounds yummy (minus the snails and the caviar; I don't like mushrooms so know I won't like snails).
Old 08-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #824
JessietheNCCowgirl
Yeehaw!

Thanks for the detailed updates. I've never been on a cruise, but after seeing your gorgeous sunset pictures I totally agree with your thoughts on having to book a stateroom with a large porthole/verandah!!

Way to go on venturing out on your food choices! Hunter is one brave soul trying those snails. I've never tried escargot but don't like mushrooms either so I'll just trust Hunter's opinion that they taste like mushrooms and spare myself from ever trying them!

The desserts looked yummy and it was nice of them to acknowlege your anniversary! I hope your upcoming anniversary trip is fun - it sounds like it will be. My DH and I will be celebrating our 20th anniversary at WDW in Oct and bringing my DD along so we're big romantics just like you and John.
Port Orleans-1992 & 1994 CBR & POFQ -2000 Coronado Springs-2001 Polynesian-2003 AKL & GF- 2004 WL & GF 2006 POFQ -2007 CBR-2008 Polynesian-2009 POR Aug & Oct 2010 POR Jan 2011, CBR Feb 2011, POFQ Aug 2011, POR Oct 2011, ASMo Dec 2011, Polynesian Feb 2012, Pop & POR May 2012, AoA and Yacht Club Oct 2012 BWI & YC Aug 2013, Poly Oct 2013, YC May 2014, BWI July 2014
Old 08-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #825
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeew80 View Post
Hi Lisa! Great update as always! Nassau seemed interesting to say the least! Maybe a bit better to look at from aboard the ship! Anywho! So great that you are able to sneak in another small trip before the start of school!! Should be fun! Happy (early) Anniversary!!! Hope it's a good one!!!!
If we ever go back to Nassau, we'll make sure to do an excursion that doesn't actually go into the middle of town. I'm glad that we did it though.

Thanks for the early anniversary wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan511 View Post
Happy Anniversary (a little early.)

Enjoy your trip! It's always nice to get away.
Thanks! We need a weekend away from home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHTeacher View Post
Interesting tour of Nassau, it sounds like! You don't see the pictures of all that on the Atlantis commercials, do you?

Hope you have a happy anniversary and a fun, safe trip this weekend!
No it certainly doesn't look like the Atlantis commercials. John and I both said "those folks at Atlantis have no idea what's nearby".

Thanks for the anniversary wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretames1 View Post
I hope you have a very enjoyable anniversary!

Don't worry about bringing Hunter! Kadence has been along on all of our anniversary dinners and outings. We told her that when we hit 25 yrs, she has to stay home. She'll be eighteen and I think it may be time for us for once!
Once, when we were in Disney on our actual anniversary, John and I went to dinner at the Grand Floridian Cafe while Lacey and Hunter went to Planet Hollywood. That was our time alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessietheNCCowgirl View Post
Thanks for the detailed updates. I've never been on a cruise, but after seeing your gorgeous sunset pictures I totally agree with your thoughts on having to book a stateroom with a large porthole/verandah!!

Way to go on venturing out on your food choices! Hunter is one brave soul trying those snails. I've never tried escargot but don't like mushrooms either so I'll just trust Hunter's opinion that they taste like mushrooms and spare myself from ever trying them!

The desserts looked yummy and it was nice of them to acknowlege your anniversary! I hope your upcoming anniversary trip is fun - it sounds like it will be. My DH and I will be celebrating our 20th anniversary at WDW in Oct and bringing my DD along so we're big romantics just like you and John.
The sunset from the porthole was gorgeous! The view was fantastic!

I had never tried snails before either but I have to say that they weren't bad like I thought they would be.

We are hoping to have a bit of fun away from home this weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Lisa, I'm sorry....I've missed two updates.

Okay, Nassau certainly does not look like a place I really want to visit. And the bus? Seriously?

Your meal at the Royal Palace sounds yummy (minus the snails and the caviar; I don't like mushrooms so know I won't like snails).
It's okay Kathy! I'm glad that we ventured into Nassau but we all said it was a "been there/done that" kinda place.

The meal at Royal Palace was good and the seating was much better than it was the night before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Happy Anniversary!!! Have a fantastic trip to Hot Springs.

The only anniversary we have spent together without the kids (well, since they were born) was our 25th and that wasn't until 8 months after the actual anniversary!

Good to have you back safely on board the ship! I love all your pictures of and from the porthole. Beautiful sunsets. I'm with you, we will never cruise without a balcony or porthole.

I'm glad to hear dinner was a more enjoyable experience this time around. Good for you all for getting out of your comfort zone. Wow, Hunter. When you decide to step it up, you really step it up. Escargot ain't for the timid.
Thanks! We won't have a whole lot of time to spend in Hot Springs but the whole goal is to just get away from home.

It's good to hear that we aren't the only ones who take our kids on our anniversary celebrations.

I can't imagine what it would have been like to be stuck in a room with no view.

Hunter definitely stepped outside the comfort box didn't he?!

Tags
caribbean beach resort, disney dream cruise

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: