Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #796
PhoenixStrength
Waiting for my fairytale!

That sign is....interesting?

Too bad Nassau is not as nice as you would hope. I'm not too surprised by the bank thing though, the Carribean seems to be a popular place to hide money lately, if you listen to the news anyway!

Can't wait to read the next installment.

Heat, humidity and a great Mother/Daughter trip! A May TR
Alien Encounter gave me PTSD!! A Dec '14 PTR

Old 08-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #797
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixStrength View Post
That sign is....interesting?

Too bad Nassau is not as nice as you would hope. I'm not too surprised by the bank thing though, the Carribean seems to be a popular place to hide money lately, if you listen to the news anyway!

Can't wait to read the next installment.
I knew that the sign was somewhere in Nassau but I didn't remember where. It was raining when we passed it so I didn't get a good picture so I borrowed the one that I posted from the internet.

I couldn't believe how many banks there were in Nassau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvasMommy526 View Post
Ahhh Nassau Looks so pretty from the safety of the water lol!
Lke I previously said we are going in October but I made the decision this time to stay just on Paradise Island.....Atlantis, Riu, Blue Lagoon is where you will find us When we went on our cruise we did our excursion and then explored Nassau and it was just me and my mom and we got turned around, and it's not totally frightening but it's definitely not home either.....a gentleman from our cruise actually ran into is and stayed along with us till we got back to port (which we greatly appreciated!)
Glad you made it back and Disney had warm towels for you, love those Disney touches
It did look okay from the ship but when we got into the Nassau itself, it was pretty dirty and I didn't care for it much.

I dont' know that I would have been scared to tour Nassau alone but I would exactly feel comfortable either.

Yep, you gotta love the Disney touches. Those warm towels felt good after being out in the rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Sounds like your tour of Nassau was not entirely enjoyable!

We took an afternoon tour of the city during our trip in April (I haven't posted that chapter in my Atlantis report yet, I am totally neglecting finishing that one up until my Disney trip report is over). We drove past Fort Fincastle, but we stopped and toured Fort Charlotte. We also spent a few minutes at Fort Montagu. Really glad we did, Ben loves forts.

It was just the 4 of us, and another couple along with our van driver.

Even in the good weather, most of our tour was driving past sites and having the driver tell us what they were.
Fort Fincastle wasn't big at all so you didn't miss a lot there. We passed by the Queen's staircase (I think that's what it was called) and I wish we had had time to go there instead of the Fort.

Even though the tour bus was pretty yucky, we did enjoy the information that our tour guide gave us.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #798
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretames1 View Post
Sorry you had such a rainy day for your excursion. And yucky bus seats...

So far, not impressed with Nassau. I know that it's a poverty stricken area, but I think I'd stay to the beach and ship.
The bus was pretty yucky and I was thanking myself for making sure I had the hand sanitizer in my purse.

I am glad that we did the See and Sea tour. When we got to the dock after the semi-sub tour, I noticed that several people didn't follow the tour guide to the bus. I thought that they had changed their minds about the bus portion of the tour and stayed behind. Now I wonder if they had done the tour before or had talked with someone who told them to skip the bus part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren_elizabeth View Post
Aw man! That totally stinks that it had to rain so much when yall were in Nassau! But holy cow.... 65% tax when you buy a car?!

I've never heard of these rum cakes! Which one was your favorite?
When the bottom fell out of the sky, it really fell out. It was raining really hard.

Yep, 65% tax on a car. It's totally understandable why a lot of the locals don't own a car.

The rum cakes were all good. I don't think I had a favorite though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom&RN View Post
Years ago (I'm not saying how many) my folks and my sister and I spent a christmas vacation sailing around the caribbean. We rented a "bare" boat (no captain or crew, we did our own sailing) which was, at the time, a fairly affordable way to see the caribbean. I still remember that the water was beautiful, the natural scenery was gorgeous but the popluated areas were not the "paradise" we may all picture, most were poor and fairly "ramshackle". I don't mean that disrespectfully, I grew up in backwoods Vermont so I'm pretty familiar with ramshackle! Somehow, going down there I think we all picture that everything is going to be as gorgeous as the scenery!
Oh my! I can't imagine doing that now-a-days. Too many bad guys out there. But, I bet it was an adventure that you'll never ever forget.

I certainly don't want anybody to think that I'm putting down the people of Nassau either but it really was a pretty dirty place.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!

Old 08-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #799
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Too bad that the rain messed up your plans!!! At least you were able to get some sightseeing in!
I'm glad that the rain held off until we were able to do the first and second portions of the excursion. The rain really started when we were on the third part so at least we were able to do some things without the rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Buzz Lightyear View Post
I agree banana rum cakes are to die for!!!!
I don't even think they had the banana rum cakes in the Customs House. Now I'm wishing I had one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan511 View Post
I just got all caught up.

I liked seeing the excursions. That submarine does look like the 20'000 Leagues Under the Sea ride. Looks fun!

I'm sorry the Nassau tour didn't go perfect. Between the rain and the bus...I laughed about the Amazing Race. The driving on that show stresses me out!

How were the rum cakes? I have heard they are really good.
I am so serious about the driving/traffic in Nassau. There were people everywhere, horns honking, people shouting. It was just like on The Amazing Race.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #800
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncycat View Post
Alright, just sat here and read the whole thing!! Yep. I'm WAAAY behind in reading stuff. Don't think I finished your PTR either. I do keep in touch on FB, so I guess I'm not THAT bad of a Dis friend!!

Anyways, few pointers, dang girl, you made me homesick with the Canaveral pictures!! UG! We should close on selling our house in a couple of weeks, so no more residents of that house BOOHOO!! LOVE the CBR pics, I remember when we stayed there once, we had all sorts of wildlife, and a snake by our rooms, but of course we had boys that wanted to play with it, Chris included!! HAHA

LOVE how you had a CG ship in your pics, I'm sure you didn't realize it, but it did make my day, and when Chris came home, I told him all about it. Of course he asked what I was doing, told him reading, and remember the people we met outside of Soarin that just got off a cruise? He said yep, and I said their trip report. AH...cool. That's what I got LOL Our boys are SOOO similar, they both have to have their games/ipods/phones and whatever else is hip that particular day.

I took a cruise and stopped in Freeport Bahamas when I was 16, and the taxi driver we had was CRAZY, but you know what? NYC cabbies are worse!!

The underwater excursion was really cool. We LOVE looking at the marine life! There's SOOO much in that part of FL. We had a boat, yea, had to sell that too, and remember seeing dolphins, and a manatee chewing on the motor. Yep. Couldn't move until that bugger left us!! So, after making me homesick, I am gonna tell ya Awesome updates, all of it!! I soo miss WDW, not going back until my 40th birthday in 2014. So....gotta learn to live thru others!! Keep the updates comin girl!!
Hey Christie! You're not a bad Dis Friend at all! I can certainly see why you would be missing Florida right now. It's so beautiful there. I know that it's gotta be tough getting settled into a new home all the way across the country.

Even though the bus portion of the tour was a bit yuck, we still enjoyed the See and Sea tour. If I were to ever do it again, I'd skip that part of the excursion. It's one of those "been there-done that" things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
So glad you got your tour in before the rain!

The strawmarket isn't that great, you didn't miss much.

The rum cakes, girl, what were you thinking?! The banana rum cakes are to die for!
I'm glad to hear that I didn't miss much by not going to the straw market. The things that the vendors were selling by the Fort weren't all that great either so we didn't buy anything there.

I didn't even know there was a banana rum cake. I didn't see them in the store in the Customs House.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLiz View Post
Great updates!!! (Since I haven't been around in a bit)

I've been to Nassau once. I went from the ship to the Dolphin Encounter and back to the ship. That was way back in 2001. Geez, that was a long time ago!

I can't wait to get on one of those Disney ships myself in 8 months!!!!
If we ever go to Nassau again, I'll do one of the other excursions and not go into town.

I know that you're counting down the days until you're on your Disney cruise!

Old 08-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #801
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
I didn't even know there was a banana rum cake. I didn't see them in the store in the Customs House.
Do you have a Bass Pro Shoppe near you? They sell Tortuga Rum Cakes!
Old 08-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #802
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Good morning! I'm going to try and get another installment posted today or tomorrow.

Our 28th wedding anniversary is Friday and we are going to Hot Springs, Arkansas just to get out of town and get in one final trip before school starts. Yes, you're thinking correctly, Hunter is going with us on our anniversary trip. What can I say? We are such romantics!

I made our hotel reservations last night and now we need to decide what we are going to do while in Hot Springs. We'll either go to Magic Springs which is a combination of theme park and water park (with just one admission price and the concerts are free) or we may decide to tour the old bathhouses downtown (one is supposed to have a ghost there), play mini-putt, go on the dinner cruise or maybe just relax. I'm thinking we'll end up at Magic Springs. The Newsboys, a Christian band, are in concert on the 11th and, if we are already at Magic Springs, we may wander over and catch a bit of the concert.

As I said, we have no firm plans other than to get the heck outta Dodge.

'Nuff babble, let me get back to work. I'll work on that installment as soon as I can.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #803
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
Do you have a Bass Pro Shoppe near you? They sell Tortuga Rum Cakes!
There's a Bass Pro Shop about 100 miles from our house that we visit a couple of times a year. I'll have to make sure I look for the rum cakes next time we are there. Thanks!

Old 08-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #804
cheekypoppins
DIS Veteran

OMG!!!!! I just signed on here yesterday but I recognise you n ur family from a TR I read of you'rs on another site where "momma" was with you and you stayed at CBR then too,actually that was the reason I chose Cbr last September!!! I also see another poster here from that site in the comments,how cool I'm loving your tr keep it coming .

Old 08-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #805
Bridora
DIS Veteran

Such an interesting bus tour does make for some great memories, though!

How awesome that there were CMs waiting to greet you with warm towels!
2003-My 1st Trip to Disney!-All Star Movies ** 2004-Pop Century ** 2005-All Star Movies ** 2006-Caribbean Beach ** 2007-Caribbean Beach (without the kids!) ** 2008-Port Orleans Riverside ** 2009-Polynesian (we became DVC owners!) ** 2010-Bay Lake Tower**2011-Boardwalk/Beach Club**2012-Dream & Kidani Village**2013-Old Key West
Old 08-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #806
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

First of all...Happy (early) Anniversary!! That's so funny you mentioned bringing Hunter along. Our anniversary is Sunday and we decided to go camping for the weekend and the boys are coming along and also my parents and brother. Definitely not romantic...oh well. Anyways, I hope you have a great time in Hot Springs.

I'm glad you were able to get a few things done before the rain started. Yuck about the seats on the bus though. That sign is definitely interesting. I remember seeing it posted before in another TR....maybe Missy's?

Yay for warm towels! What a great touch.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #807
addictedtothemouse
DIS Veteran

That sign I laugh because I work with a guy that grew up on Trinidad and he says he speaks the " Da Queens English, mon." Yes he says mon......A LOT! And he actually says tings like "I was doing tings and such, mon."
Old 08-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #808
bouncycat
DIS Veteran

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! Our anniversary is friday as well!! We hit 15 years, so you got us there Glad you're going away, and taking Hunter with you, we don't do anything without Tyler. We'll probably just go to the zoo. Chris was able to take the day off, so that's a good thing. Have fun in Hot Springs!! Will be thinking about ya'll!!

Old 08-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #809
Bethislucy
DIS Veteran

oh the newsboys are good.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #810
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Hmm... Interesting tour. I would have giggled like a 12-yr-old schoolboy at that sign, though.

Happy (early) anniversary!!

May 2016 Pre-Trip Report <--Also includes a Mini Trip Report of our March 2014 trip to Asheville/Gatlinburg

May 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report and
The AutoTrain, Disney World and More! Trip Report

October 2008 - Caribbean Beach
Pre-Trip Report and Trip Report

Tags
caribbean beach resort, disney dream cruise

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: