Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

Can my daughter use my credit card?

I want to give my daughter (18) my credit card to use at the mall. She doesn't "look" 18 so I'm worried the cashiers won't allow her to use it. Has anyone done this?
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
ADisneyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #2
Sabeking
DIS Veteran

I send my 15 year old in the grocery store all the time with mine while I am in the car. I told her to come get me if they needed my ID. No one has ever asked. I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #3
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

While I have let my kids use my card. If they are stopped they can take your card for fraudulent use. I found it was less stressful to get a card on my account in my kids names.

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
low-key
DIS Veteran

most places dont have a problem with it but a few cashiers wont let it happen
Old 11-07-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADisneyQueen View Post
I want to give my daughter (18) my credit card to use at the mall. She doesn't "look" 18 so I'm worried the cashiers won't allow her to use it. Has anyone done this?
It probably depends on the store, even the employee within that store and the type of card.
Some stores don't handle the card (the customer swipes it) and some ask for ID (which is fine, it's for my protection). I'm sure one employee might ask for Id and the next one might not. I don't know if I would send her with my Amex card for a $500 shopping spree (well, I couldn't because I don't have an Amex card ) but you get what I'm saying.
I let my kids use my debit card in Wawa or Walmart when they were older teens, and they never had any issues.

Junior Brody Stella Luna Louie Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #6
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom47 View Post
It probably depends on the store, even the employee within that store and the type of card.
Some stores don't handle the card (the customer swipes it) and some ask for ID (which is fine, it's for my protection). I'm sure one employee might ask for Id and the next one might not. I don't know if I would send her with my Amex card for a $500 shopping spree (well, I couldn't because I don't have an Amex card ) but you get what I'm saying.
I let my kids use my debit card in Wawa or Walmart when they were older teens, and they never had any issues.
If it is mastercard or visa, the merchant can ask but you can refuse the ID and they can't refuse to let you use the card if it is properly signed. It is against the merchant agreements that the merchant signs with visa and mastercard.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:48 PM   #7
bcla
DIS Veteran

I bought a relatively big ticket item once with my mom's credit card before I had my own. The merchant said they'd normally want a letter authorizing me to use the card, but they said they would go through with the transaction since I was a regular customer (usually paid cash). I repaid my mom in cash. I've heard of a few merchants who said that they would want to contact the credit card holder. These days it might not be so easy since they often ask to see ID, which implies that one can't use another person's credit card.

My mom gave me a gas station credit card once while I was in college. I only used it for buying my own gas and once to pay for an oil change. It was my parents' car. I never had a problem using it, even before pay at the pump.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:49 PM   #8
wenrob
DIS Veteran

As mentioned, some ask for ID, some don't. My stepmother sends my husband to buy tires and household appliances with hers. (way, way back when my grandmother used to send my sister and I to the store with a blank check and her ID ) I've sent my teen in with my card and never had a problem. However, this time of year they start asking for ID much more frequently, especially in the malls.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:49 PM   #9
Pamlur
newbies DO get tags!!

This just triggered an old memory. My daughter was shopping with my husband's credit card, it has to have been 25 or so years ago; we worked together and I usually answered the phone. A young woman called and asked to speak to my husband, and I did the normal "may I ask who is calling", she replied "his daughter". She was obviously, to me, NOT my daughter and I called her on it. Turns out, she worked at the store my daughter was shopping in, and was calling to make sure she had permission to use the credit card.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:38 PM   #10
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

Why not just add her as a authorized user and get her, her own card in her name?
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:42 PM   #11