Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #91
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Nice to hear from you Mike. Can't wait for your update.

The New 2nd All in One Disneyland TR Thread

A Fantasmic Summer at the DLR with my Aunt - June 23 - 25, 2014, Going Back Down South with Bro and his Girl - July 26 - 28, 2014, Just in Time for Halloween Season in September - September 14 - 16, 2014

Pictures of my Trip to the DLR on July 26th to 28th, 2014

Videos of my Disney Trips on Youtube
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #92
MommyLove
The sleep-deprivation is causing low mental bandwidth
Did someone say TURKEY LEG? yum!

Hi, I hope you had a beautiful time with your family! I can't wait to hear all about it!

I just started checking out the POTD #4 thread since we are planning our first DL trip in three years and I'm starting to get super excited. I'm still early in the thread and the pics I'm looking at are from a year ago (I'll get caught up soon ) but I am really enjoying your beautiful photos. You have a great eye and a fantastic technical talent too. It's super inspiring. This next trip will be the first time since I got my dSLR. I still have a kit lens, but I'm excited to learn more and improve my photography. Anyway, just wanted to give you props for your great photos. I love seeing them!
April '13 (BWPPI), May '13 (BWPPI), July '13 (Stanford I&S), Oct. '13 (BWPPI), Dec. 29, 2013 - Jan. 4, 2014 (BWPPI), April '14 (HoJo Kids Suite)
MommyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #93
pas130
DIS Veteran

Welcome home Mike! Can't wait for the details...and pics

JungleCruiser*Sarah,forever in my heart*
pas130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #94
kylie71
Can't wait for more!
I love mexican food, sooo Much!

Welcome back Mike!! We have ben waiting....

Can't wait to hear all about your journey, and see your pics too!!!

Get some rest...

Lori
kylie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #95
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Day 1 Trip Report.

The first day of the trip was to drive from KC to Colorado Springs, CO. or as far as my wife's back would allow. We started out around 1:45pm and headed out on I-70 West to Colorado. Our first stop was in Hays, KS where we stopped for a bite to eat. We ended up at a place called Montana Mike's steakhouse. It was decent and well needed as we had drove around 5 hrs to get there. From there we thought we would drive a bit further down the highway and try to stop somewhere around the KS/CO border. I ended up seeing a billboard that stated "The quickest route to Colorado Springs" and asked the wife what she thought. We decided to go for it. For those that don't know I-70 is a four lane highway that crosses straight through KS to Colorado. This quickest route was a two lane highway with little or no stops along the way. Think end of the earth with no living beings to ever be seen.

Huge diesels would pass by giving us gusts of wind trying to knock our minivan off the road. We ended up driving this road to another road then to another road and then to yet another road with little hope in sight. Long story short we made Colorado Springs just short of Midnight Mountain Time. Yes we gained an hour heading into CO. One of the scariest parts of the trip was in the middle of nowhere as we were racing towards our destination, we saw what turned out to be cows in a field looking over a wire fence with what looked like red eyes. It reminded us of the movie scene in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles where Steve Martin and John Candy are headed down the wrong side of the highway and they turn to each other and Steve Martin see's John Candy as the Devil. We were very thankful to had made it. It was a long first day journey. We should have stayed on I-70 and stopped somewhere by the border. Lesson learned, never trust the billboard that states fastest route to your destination again.

Here are a few photos of the daylight portion of the Day 1 journey. Amazingly we saw huge windmill farms along our path. Does anyone know exactly what they are doing with this energy they are housing especially in the middle of Kansas?

Up next will be Garden of the Gods and the Manitou Springs Cave dwellings...

2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #96
KCmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyLove View Post
Hi, I hope you had a beautiful time with your family! I can't wait to hear all about it!

I just started checking out the POTD #4 thread since we are planning our first DL trip in three years and I'm starting to get super excited. I'm still early in the thread and the pics I'm looking at are from a year ago (I'll get caught up soon ) but I am really enjoying your beautiful photos. You have a great eye and a fantastic technical talent too. It's super inspiring. This next trip will be the first time since I got my dSLR. I still have a kit lens, but I'm excited to learn more and improve my photography. Anyway, just wanted to give you props for your great photos. I love seeing them!
Your very kind. Congrats on the upcoming trip. There's so much to learn with the slr and you will find so many capable people here on the disboards willing to help with any questions you might have. I think I brought home some "keepers".

2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Old 07-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #97
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

I think that farming electricity must be a money maker because I see a lot of farm land in our area being used for that instead of the crops they did before.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:04 PM   #98
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Joining in! I have friends who used to live just north of Denver. I went out a few years ago to visit and we did all the same things! It was breathtakingly gorgeous!
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:58 AM   #99
MommyLove
The sleep-deprivation is causing low mental bandwidth
Did someone say TURKEY LEG? yum!

Cool first day report!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmike View Post
I think I brought home some "keepers".
Can't wait to see them!
April '13 (BWPPI), May '13 (BWPPI), July '13 (Stanford I&S), Oct. '13 (BWPPI), Dec. 29, 2013 - Jan. 4, 2014 (BWPPI), April '14 (HoJo Kids Suite)
MommyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:15 AM   #100
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Wow, that was certainly a quick start to your TR!

And yes, I can attest to what a mind-numbing drive that is. We didn't get started until around 10 the morning we left. But I'm impressed you could do it all in one day starting at 1:45!

I don't even remember the route we took into Colorado Springs. I know we didn't go through Denver, so it was probably the same you took. We had the same issue going home, not being able to decide on the best route home. And once we did, we encountered a "road construction ahead, highly advise taking detour" sign......... and out in the middle of nowhere...... the detours are a whole new route, not just a few extra turns.

I actually like being in the middle of nowhere like that........altough we usually don't travel after dark. My family knows I'd never stay awake to drive!

Can't wiat to hear more!
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #101
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

Mike, thought I would join. We have about 5 weeks left before we head south. Love the 10mm so far, hopefully I will be able to at least get some photo's as good as yours. Have a great day.

Jack

Last edited by blackjackdelta; 07-05-2012 at 10:47 AM.
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #102
I'm mikey
DIS Veteran

Mike, happy you had a safe trip, looking forward to the rest of your report.
I'm mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #103
KCmike

Day 2

We woke up kinda late today. Too be expected right? The day's itinerary was to include Garden of the Gods, Manitou cave dwellings, and Pike's Peak. Then drive up to Denver to find our next hotel and get ready for the flight to California.

The day started out with me getting a map of our surroundings. We did have my wife's I-phone in case of any emergencies but the hotel lobby had some nice surrounding maps to help guide the way. We were lucky that where we ended up was close to all the attractions we wanted to take in. It was a very quick drive over to the Garden of the Gods. It was in the high 90's when we got there. They have a building with a movie, cafe, and other history aspects about the place but we opted to just go right for the main show. You can see the rocks as your driving up so it was not really any surprise to what was up ahead. It is a free attraction which is nice. What's free anymore? You can hike through the trails or drive around the park and stop at each rock formation. We opted at first to start hiking but soon realized that in almost 100 degree temps that this would be a mistake. We went about 50 yards and headed back for the car. We decided to drive around and take it in that way. Here area few misc. shots.

Racing to the sunlight

Beginning of the journey

From the road

Zoomed in

Last edited by KCmike; 07-05-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #104
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Now.... now.... I know for a fact there was a "no stopping or parking" sign in front of that "Garden of the Gods" sign! My family gave me unending grief about stopping long enough just for a shot of the sign!

We got lucky being there a few weeks ahead of you. The weather was much milder so we were able to do some short hikes.

We also saw some climbers out on the rocks. I had to pass on a photo though since I had the wrong lens on.

I'll be curious to hear about the cave dwellings. Drew really wanted to do that, but we ended up there too late in the day and had to bypass it.

And ......... love your son's Missouri shirt! If he was in a KU shirt, I might have had to unsubscribe from your TR!
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #105
KCmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Now.... now.... I know for a fact there was a "no stopping or parking" sign in front of that "Garden of the Gods" sign! My family gave me unending grief about stopping long enough just for a shot of the sign!

We got lucky being there a few weeks ahead of you. The weather was much milder so we were able to do some short hikes.

We also saw some climbers out on the rocks. I had to pass on a photo though since I had the wrong lens on.

I'll be curious to hear about the cave dwellings. Drew really wanted to do that, but we ended up there too late in the day and had to bypass it.

And ......... love your son's Missouri shirt! If he was in a KU shirt, I might have had to unsubscribe from your TR!
Never saw the sign Janet? There were several behind me waiting for me to clear to get their picture taken as well. Hmmm. As far as the Missouri shirt it is sort of weird. I was born in Kansas but have always been a Missouri fan. I grew up watching Norm Stewart and loving all of his basketball teams. My youngest daughter is a KU fan but I won't share any photos with her shirt she occasionally wears.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: