Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #511
tinkermell
Th boards are going nuts!
Beware of the stalkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmike View Post
Thanks Melody. I missed the poster being confused on the Hotel Del vs. the Grand Floridian. Now I need to go back and see where that was. Thanks for the comments on the shots thus far.

My wife is feeling better. She had to go back to the oral surgeon yet again to get another tooth packed as she had two of the three have dry sockets! She goes back yet again Friday to finish everything up.

Hope you have a great trip down to DL next month. I miss the Haunted Mansion overlay.
I actually prefer the HM overlay to the original. I know....blasphemy!

Yikes, I have heard dry sockets are horrible! I hope they have healed by now.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #512
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Random Time again. I will try to finish up the report this weekend.

2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #513
KCmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkermell View Post
I actually prefer the HM overlay to the original. I know....blasphemy!

Yikes, I have heard dry sockets are horrible! I hope they have healed by now.
I am not afraid to say the same thing. I love the HM overlay. I prefer it to the original as well. Maybe because of the novelty of it all but it is so much fun. When we rode it the first time we didn't realize there would be an overlay when we did DL for the first time. We went back home and watched the movie again because of the ride and ever since we've been hooked. I hope we can get back someday with the kids and do it again. When my wife and I celebrated our 20th Annivesary back in 2010 we got to do it again and I think we rode it 3 or 4 times in one day. So much fun!

My wife went back again to the dentist to repack her teeth for the third time. Her discomfort is not bad but I can't believe how long this is going on!
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Old 09-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #514
KCmike

Caught this one as the sun was setting on ToT in DCA when I was walking out of DL.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #515
KCmike

Getting the pics ready for the final installment. Here's another random.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:59 AM   #516
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Whilst I am eagerly waiting for the next installment, I have to say that I am equally as happy waiting......with those randoms you keep posting. FANTASTIC!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #517
KCmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Whilst I am eagerly waiting for the next installment, I have to say that I am equally as happy waiting......with those randoms you keep posting. FANTASTIC!
Your very sweet.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #518
KCmike

One last random entry before I start the final day (plan is to start posting on this tomorrow). I got to spend a little time in the Court of Angels in New Orleans Square. As I was there shooting from different angles, one of the security guards came up to me and asked if I would like to climb the stairs to get a few shots from there. I looked at him and said may I? So I climbed the stairs and got some shots that we rarely see....from the top and looking back the other way. The security guard walked away for a brief moment and one of the shop keepers walked out and saw me out there at the top of the stairs and called for me to come down. I told her the security guard allowed me up there and then she was cool with that. These are not the greatest shots I have ever acquired from this area of Disneyland but it sure was fun to get new angles. I'm always on the lookout for new areas of the park or something I have never seen before that I can actually get to. Anyways on with the show.

Alright till next time I want to say thanks to all that have commented or followed along. I am honored that you would take time out to do so.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #519
nzer
Earning My Ears

Just finished reading your TR. LOVE your photos!!
I've recently bought a Canon 7D and can't wait to use it on our first family trip to San Francisco, PH, Grand Canyon, San Diego, & Anaheim for 5 weeks this Christmas. Last time I was there was in 1994!!- and that was before DH and DDs'.
Can't wait to get to DL and DCA. We are staying at Hojos for 13 nights and luckily, being from New Zealand, we can get 14 day passes. We will of course be spending time away from Anaheim, but will certainly have time to have a really good look around. I've already told my DH that I will be disappearing to take photos on my own.
At this stage I only have one lens 18-135. I'm keen to add to this, maybe 70-300mm. They sell for about $1000NZ, so still thinking about it.
Wish it was December!!!!!

First visit to Disneyland Easter 1994

First visit to Disneyland Paris 1993
nzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #520
KCmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzer View Post
Just finished reading your TR. LOVE your photos!!
I've recently bought a Canon 7D and can't wait to use it on our first family trip to San Francisco, PH, Grand Canyon, San Diego, & Anaheim for 5 weeks this Christmas. Last time I was there was in 1994!!- and that was before DH and DDs'.
Can't wait to get to DL and DCA. We are staying at Hojos for 13 nights and luckily, being from New Zealand, we can get 14 day passes. We will of course be spending time away from Anaheim, but will certainly have time to have a really good look around. I've already told my DH that I will be disappearing to take photos on my own.
At this stage I only have one lens 18-135. I'm keen to add to this, maybe 70-300mm. They sell for about $1000NZ, so still thinking about it.
Wish it was December!!!!!
Thanks nzer. How awesome would it be to take off for 5 weeks! What is PH? The 7d is a nice camera.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:12 AM   #521
nzer
Earning My Ears

Oops, sorry...meant PCH (Pacific Coast Highway)

It's our summer holiday at Christmas and we figured that for the price we are paying for flights, we might as well make the the most of it..my DH has been saving his holidays and the girls and I have 6 weeks off (I'm a teacher), so why not. So looking forward to it....so much to do in that 5 weeks though

First visit to Disneyland Easter 1994

First visit to Disneyland Paris 1993
nzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #522
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

I'm looking forward to the next installment but I'm bummed it is the last one. I didn't know you could go up those stairs in NOS. Sweet pics!
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #523
KCmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
I'm looking forward to the next installment but I'm bummed it is the last one. I didn't know you could go up those stairs in NOS. Sweet pics!
Your not suppose to go up there but the security guard had the same camera as me and said that if I was quick about it that I could take a few shots.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #524
KCmike

Last Day.

So to recap: We drove into Colorado to catch cheaper flights from the Denver Intl Airport. We saw Colorado Springs. We then flew into LAX and spent three days in San Diego. A quick drive up to Anaheim and spent a glorious six days there with a side trip to Catalina. All in all it was a total of over 12 days on vacation. This was our longest vacation ever in our history. In retrospect I have to say that were tired after this trip. We probably could have done without Colorado Springs but I am glad to say that we knocked out that part of the country. My wife and I had been to the Rocky Mtns before but we wanted the kids to see it as well. We had talked about visiting Yosemite Natl Park again but after all the hantravirus stuff going on I am glad we didn't.

So on our last morning we ended up sleeping in yet again. There was no sense of rush or going "commando" this time around. In fact the last day turned out to be a "let's soak it in" as much as we can type of day. Last days are killers to me. We always spend them in our favorite parks at Disney. In WDW its always got to be the Magic Kingdom. Of course at DLR its DL. So we made our way to IHOP this morning. We typically ate at McDonalds most mornings and did vary it up one time and ate at the Riverbelle Terrace. IHOP is usually good but I have to say that the prices there on Harbor for IHOP are substantially more expensive than any other IHOP I've ever eaten at.

We wanted to take in as much as possible today. It's funny that in the planning phases of going to DL that you pack in so much. You think I'm going to ride Pirates at least 4-5 times. When we actually get there its more like 2-3 times. I guess its kind of like when your hungry you order lots of food but when you start eating you find out that your eyes were bigger than your stomach. I think taking as many photos as I do it takes away from my ride time. I love photography so much that I don't mind. I do have to balance my photo time with the family time. I don't want it to become a burden to them. They are pretty good about my shooting time.

So we started out our day headed towards Pirates, HM, and Splash. I don't know about everyone else but Fantasyland and this part of the park are just draw me in. I tend to always go left at DL vs. towards tomorrowland.

I love the outside of HM.

But after leaving the building I saw this:

We then got fast passes for Splash and took a quick ride on...

From here we took a little break and found this little spot that we like to go to relax at DL........

Stay tuned.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #525
KCmike

So the tucked away little area is the Hungry Bear Restaurant. Everyone knows its a great little spot for the views especially downstairs when the Columbia Ship or Mark Twain pass by or even the hard paddling canoe passengers but I have never gone to the far edge before. If you walk to this far edge you will see that there are stairs that go upstairs to the top floor. I have never been over there and found it very interesting. The pathway that leads to the area is very tranquil and peaceful.

They hide the sea-doos over here for Fantasmic!. They put some green camouflage tarps on them.

Another of my favorite hidden spots is the pathway that leads away from Splash Mountain when walking back up the hill from Winnie the Pooh. It is just left after you see the many carts peddling food and mdse. Take that left and you find a back way around the area that leads out to the Harbor area.

From here we went back up towards Big Thunder Mtn Railroad. I personally don't think BTMRR is as good in Disneyland as it is in WDW. Maybe that's why they are choosing to close it for an extensive refurbishment? I heard they will completely put new track in and make other enhancements. I really enjoy the que at WDW. The ride to me feels smaller at DL but I do still enjoy it. I took some time here to really soak in the area and feel like I came home with some real keepers. I'm trying to save many photos that I have for pic of the day thread so I can keep interested in the boards while I have my long absence.

BTMRR shots and the family decides to head back to the hotel to swim and relax and I go COMMANDO with the camera!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: