Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #76
creativeamanda
One slithering around on me? No way, Jose!
Me? Snarky? Nah!
Why on earth would I want my summer vacation to go away that quickly

Starring Rolls and Chefs de France

Last time, I neglected breakfast! We were in Hollywood Studios that morning, so we naturally had to have the breakfast of champions. . .at Starring Rolls:

Sweetie had the Darth Vader Peanut Butter cupcake

I picked the Red Velvet Cupcake.

Both of us wanted to have some of the other cupcake, so we did this:

Now, I will say a few things about Starring Rolls. I won't so the service and all review, but it is definitely one of those places that have the appearance of being crowded. The location is really tiny--think the line at Starbucks, but smaller because there is no seating inside. But the line moves relatively fast and it's the one "must do" when I am at Disney.

Dinner that night was at Chefs de France.

I have had great experiences here and terrible ones. Sweetie likes this place because of the lobster bisque.

We were seated in a good location in the restaurant. We could see everyone as they were walking by.

Sweetie ordered this for her app:

Lobster bisque. This was not as good as she remembered. There was not as much lobster in the soup.

I had:

Onion Soup. It was delicious, as always.

Sweetie's entre:

Looking at it, it does not even look appetizing. She ate less than 1/4 of it, saying it just wasn't that good.

My entre:

St Jaques seafood.

This was terribly greasy. I had heartburn after this for the longest time.

Perhaps dessert would be redemptive:

Sweetie's mousse with biscotti

My creme brulee.

Both were delicious. We liked them and both of us felt afterward that if we ever came back to Chefs, we would not use dining credits, but would just pay for soup and dessert.

our ratings for Chefs de France:
Service: 2--the servers at Chefs always seem pretentious. I wonder if it is just a cultural difference.
Atmosphere: 4—nice environment, we had a nice table
Food Quality: 2--the soup and dessert just don't make up for the almost inedible entres
Value: 3--again, this really is not the best use of a credit, when the only good things are soup and the dessert. This is not the first time we've made this observation at Chefs.
Overall: 2.75 Definitely the big FAIL for the trip. I won't be returning soon.

creativeamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #77
creativeamanda
Me? Snarky? Nah!

Crystal Palace

This morning brought us to the last day of Disney dining. As is family tradition, we made breakfast reservations at Crystal Palace. Crystal Palace is a buffet that can be very busy due to the Pooh and friends character interaction. It truly is good character interaction, but we were there for the food. We were seated in the left dining room, in really an awkward location, with a great view of the drink machines.

But we were there for breakfast, and most specifically to me, the puffed Franch toast.

Sweetie's first plate:

Scrambled eggs, biscuits, and potatoes.

She devoured it all, so it must have been good.

Me:

Potatoes, sausage, potato casserole, egg frittata, puffed French toast, strawberry.

It was good. . .not as good as I recalled.

It was at this point we went about 15 minutes with no drink refills. This is my major complaint about this location, and it is typical. They have you there for an hour so you can see all of the characters, but the drink refills don't come. It has happened every time I've been at Crystal Palace.

Finally after a refill, we headed back:

Big eater Sweetie

Yummy!

More puffed French toast and potatoes.

After this, we had to be rolled out.

I have a doctor who believes that you should eat a big breakfast in the morning because those calories don't count. I hope he's proud.

On to the ratings:

our ratings for Chefs de France:
Service: 0--I'm sorry, but when you are at a buffet, your major job is to refill drinks. Our server didn't do it. This is one of the few locations that I gave the server only 18% and that was all.
Atmosphere: 2--I hope to never be by the drink refills again
Food Quality: 3--I was disappointed that they did not have a mixed fruit I am fond of--blackberries, blueberries, raspberries. In the past during the same week it was there and went really well with the French toast.
Value: 4--this is a real good choice for a meal and seeing the Pooh characters without waiting in long lines
Overall: 2.25--lower than Chefs, but the food was better which made Chefs still the big loser.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #78
creativeamanda
Me? Snarky? Nah!

Snack at Dinobites

At lunchtime, we had a couple of snack credits left and we were caught in a rainstorm in Animal Kingdom. Sweetie and I stopped by Dinobites to have some ice cream in a sheltered area:

I had a waffle cone, which is one of my favorite things in the world, and it was last on my bucket list of foods for the week:

Sweetie had a sundae.

Both were great, but it is hard to mess up ice cream. It made for a great place to get out of the rain, and we were grateful for that!

Old 02-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #79
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Sorry the meal at Chefs wasn't too great. I have yet to eat there even though it's always on my "to try" list. Seems like I always read mixed reviews about that place.

The breakfast at Crystal Palace looks delicious! Yet another place I still need to try.

I wish I had some of that ice cream right now!
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #80
creativeamanda
Me? Snarky? Nah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Sorry the meal at Chefs wasn't too great. I have yet to eat there even though it's always on my "to try" list. Seems like I always read mixed reviews about that place.

The breakfast at Crystal Palace looks delicious! Yet another place I still need to try.

I wish I had some of that ice cream right now!
Chefs is the only place that's been 50/50 for me.

CP is really, really good, but I think probably Boma is better.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #81
creativeamanda
Me? Snarky? Nah!

Yachtsman

Before I begin with my final review, I need to take people back to 2009. In 2009, I was on a solo trip and I had dinner at Yachtsman. I was super excited about this meal, and you can imagine my disappointment with the place:

Quote:
After an eh breakfast and lunch, I had 8:30 reservations at the Yachtsman Steakhouse.

By the time dinner had rolled around, I was starving. I drove over to the Yacht Club, knowing where it was, and decided to tour the resort for a while first. I enjoyed my trip, especially listening to carollers in the lobby at the Beach Club (I walked over there), and reported for my adr at 8:00pm so I could sit down for a while. It had been a long day.

I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

For 45 minutes past my ADR time. Yes, I was seated at 9:15pm. By that time, I was not hungry anymore. I was tired and just wanted to get through dinner. I ordered my app quickly. I had:

Lobster Bisque - Maine Lobster and Creme Fraiche finished with Brandy $9.00 (courtesy allears website)

Oh, my, goodness. This was heavenly. I could have meade a meal out of this and the bread.

But no, my entre was this:

Yachtsman Filet Mignon - 8-ounce Filet with Mashed Potatoes and a Red Wine Sauce $39.00

THe mashed potatoes were wonderful. The filet was tender. But it was NOT cooked to order. I asked for medium. I got well done. I was so tired, I did not want to even wait for another entre, so I ate it. And got my dessert to go.

Mango Cheesecake --with raspberry foam and artisan ganache $8.00

I did eat the cheesecake for breakfast a couple of days later, and I enjoyed it a lot.

I think the extreme wait, the fact that I was so tired, and my filet not being cooked correctly made my experience at Yachtsman less than magical. I'll try it again someday, but not anytime soon.

Overall:
Atmosphere: 5 out of 5
Service: 3 out of 5 I sat with an empty drink glass for a long time
Wait Time: 0 out of 5 Waiting 45 min after the adr time is not acceptable in my book. Others who waited that long reported to me later they were at least compensated in some way. I did not want compensation--I wanted and apology. I did not get one.
Food Quality: 3.5 out of 5 Thos would have been a 5 if my filet had been cooked properly.
Overall: 2.3 out of 5

I'm sorry to all of those who love the Yachtsman who loved it. I did not. Perhaps under different circumstances I would have, but that is a moot point now.
DIsney lovers, you can see how this was a risk for me not only to make a reservation at Yachtsman, but also for it to be be the last reservation of the trip. We came into Yachtsman and were seated almost immediately (okay, better) at a table at the window overlooking Stormalong Bay. Already things were looking up.

After placing our order, bread was brought out to us.

The onion bread was delicious, and I had to slow myself down just with the bread.

Sweetie ordered her app: lobster bisque

She declared it heads above Chefs and ate every mouthful.

I got the Heirloom tomato and mozzarella salad

Wow, this was delicious! I love tomatoes and this was a light way to start dinner, knowing I had a steak coming up.

Sweetie's entre:

Filet mignon with the red wine sauce on the side. I was able to have a taste, and it was definitely cooked to order. It was delicious and those potatoes were to die for.

My entre:

New York Strip with Augratin potatoes. Again, perfectly cooked. and a million times improvement.

We almost couldn't handle dessert, but did it anyway. Sweetie got the Yachtsman sundae:

This is a gelato trio--chocolate, cherry, and vanilla. She really liked it, even the cherry, which is not something she typically eats.

Our server, knowing I was full, offered me something off menu:

I think it was cherry, pineapple, and lemon. This was the perfect end to dinner.

So, this time, we had an attentive, but not overly so, server, a good seating location, steaks that were perfectly cooked. If not for California Grill, this would have been the best of the trip.

So it also goes to show you, if you have a bad experience at a restaurant, return. After Dec 2009, I sent a letter to Disney about my experience and gave suggestions for improvement. I won't go into it all, but one thing the server did when he brought us our steaks was wait to make sure they were cooked to our satisfaction. I noticed a few other things that I suggested, and it looks like Disney really does take their emails to heart

our ratings for Yachtsman:
Service: 4--we had an attentive, but not overly so server
Atmosphere: 5--nice atmosphere and the location where we were sitting was the best the restaurant has. Since I have an affinity for the Yacht/Beach Club area, it was wonderful for me to be next to SAB
Food Quality: 4--I also appreciate being able to order something off menu, and I wonder if it's usually reserved for special diets
Value: 4--only if using the DxDP. Definitely not an oop good value.
Overall: 4.25--Definitely not a mistake eating here for our last Disney meal.

All in all, we made a good decision in our choice doing the DxDP. We were able to order what we wanted without worrying about cost while on trip. This coming trip, I'm not doing the DDP for half of it, and I'll be able to compare.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #82
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

So glad you enjoyed Yachtsman this trip! We actually enjoyed it more than CG this time, but that's because CG was the one that disappointed us a little.

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #83
gardengirl628
I'm sorry I bit you....and pulled your hair....and punched you in the face.

Great reviews...thanks for sharing! We also had a less than stellar experience at Yachtsman 2 years ago. Maybe will consider trying it again after your review.

Dana
WDW-offsite 1977, 1984; Dixie Landings November 1998; CSR June 2007; AKL November/December 2009; BWV/Western Magic/BLT February 2011; BCV July 2011; BLT/3 day Dream October 2012; HHI April 2013; BW August 2013
gardengirl628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #84
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you made the right choice in giving Yachtsman a second chance! Everything looks & sounds delicious. That is a restaurant that has made it onto my "must try" list.
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: