Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
coaches24
DIS Veteran

Our experience with DL/DCA, PPH, AG, BBB, WOC, F! and grad night. Pics added

Changed the title of the thread and will add my reviews this weekend.

First here is my impression of the PPH. It seems to be the least talked about hotel and I guess its because its the least expensive (notice I didn't say cheapest). We were scheduled to arrive on Monday and check in time is 3:00 I believe. We left Sac at just before 2:00 am and arrived at about 8:15 am or so at the PPH. I let DW and DD out at the front entrance with the bags and went to park in the parking garage right in back. My only complaint about the parking garage is no elevators, but I knew that going in from reading the reviews so it wasn't unexpected which is why I knew to drop the bags off before parking. We had booked a standard view room but I made sure to have WDTC put a note that we were celebrating our 6th Wedding anniversary and two birthdays (both DW and myself have B-days 3 days apart mid May so we didn't do anything for our birthdays so we could spend the money on the trip, and same with our Anniversary which is early June). The CM who helped us was very nice and gave us plenty of tips (including how to get the elevators faster which I will get to later). But check in took quite a while as we were chit chatting with the CM quite a bit as well. She didn't immediately offer a room upgrade so I made sure to ask how much it would cost to upgrade to a park view room. She told me she would check and see if they had any available. She went in back and a few minutes later came back and went back to checking us in without saying anything so I asked again about the price for the park view room and she said that they were giving us a complimentary upgrade. She gave us the room keys and all the info they give you at check in but the room wasn't ready so they would text us when the room was ready, or call if they found a different room earlier. So we got our stuff together and headed to the parks with our bags checked at the hotel. It was about 1:30 or so when they called and left a message on my cell that they found another room and we could come by any time and exchange our room keys for the new ones. We had AG reservations at 2:10 so we decided to wait till after lunch to go back.

Ok so we get to the hotel, change our room keys and get our room number 1302. I am used to staying at motels that are 2 or 3 stories tall but I thought taller buildings always skipped the 13th floor. Dont they usually go from 12 to 14? Anyway no big deal as none of us are superstitious like that. We have our weird quirks but the number 13 doesnt bother us at all. The room is at the end of the hall so its not next to the elevator but its also not too far, good location IMO. The room was clean with 2 queen size beds, small sofa that pulls out to a bed (didnt try that), small fridge, safe, TV etc. No microwave if you were wondering. Room wasn't big but there was plenty of space for the 3 of us. We never felt cramped. I will tell you now we thought the beds were really comfortable. Soft and cushy which is what we like so we slept like baby all 4 nights.

But the big thing (and this really did make it more magical) was the view. Our room was over looking the paradise pier area with a great view of WOC, Screamin, GZ, Mickeys FW, etc. We could also see the cars land mountains behind everything (I will post pics later when I get them organized, CL looks very cool at night). We could not see DL well as we were on the wrong side of the PPH for that but could see the top of space if we put our face against the window.

DW liked the coffee maker and used it each morning (which means it must be easy to use because she is terrible with electronics). The water pressure in the shower was not great. Ive stayed at places with much worse pressure but I would have liked more when taking a shower. But it was adequate and got the job done so no complaints there. The rooms are quiet and we never heard talking from anyone in the rooms next to us. We could hear people in the hall way but the only noise we heard coming from inside other rooms were the toilets flushing and that was only in the middle of the night with everything off and I was in our bathroom. We could hear the fireworks but it wasn't real loud in our room, same with WOC.

Now about the elevators. I read some complaints in online reviews about how long it takes to get an elevator going down. Well the wonderful CM who checked us in made sure to tell us about this as well and said the secret is to push the up button instead of the down button. And after 4 nights there I can confirm that is the way to go. Push the down button and you might wait a long time for it to get there (especially on the higher floors), or if you are not as high in the hotel you may find all the elevators full by the time they get to you if you are trying to get to the parks at the same time as everyone else. But push the up button and you get the elevator much faster and usually no one is on it. You have to go up one floor before going down but it was definitely much faster and I never waited more than a couple minutes for an elevator.

Now the walk to DL and DCA. The resort guest entrance to DCA from the GCH is absolutely amazing for its convenience. Even staying at the PPH I cant tell you how awesome that entrance is. You go right in next to GRR and miss the crowds coming in along the construction area with all the walls and such. And if you go to DL through the GCH its much quicker than the route they tell you at the front gate which takes you through DDT. The GCH shortcut puts you in DTD but much closer to the security gates. We went through DTD on the way back to the PPH one night and it was close to 10 minutes longer going that way then cutting through the GCH. And its an easy route to figure out with signs pointing you in the right direction.

We only had one issue in the hotel and it was with other guests. There were two women on our floor who decided they didn't want to go down stairs to smoke cigarette's, so they used the emergency stairs right next to our room and that made the hall way smell like cigarette smoke. We complained at the front desk as we were leaving the first time we saw them and they told us they would send someone up there immediately. Then I saw one of the women again the next day I think it was and she looked at me while sitting on the floor talking on the phone and smoking her cigarette so I pointed at the non smoking sign posted on the door right next to her head and then went down stairs and told the front desk again. I saw that same women yesterday in the morning as we were passing each other and she ignored me so I did the same. But other than that I thoroughly enjoyed the PPH and would LOVE to stay there again. I'm not sure I could get my wife to stay at an offsite hotel anymore after this trip.

Here is our experience with BBB
Originally we had planned on doing the middle package for DD and buying a dress and acesseries at the disney store before our trip but it didnt work out because the Disney stores near us did not have any dresses we liked or that fit DD. I ended up calling about a week before our trip and asking if we could change to the castle package. They said that we could do that but that would change our appointment from 11 to 11:10. No issues there at all so I did that. And if we had been able to find a dress we could change back to our original package at the time of our apointment but we wouldnt have been able to show up and say we wanted the castle package without reserving it first. We arrived at BBB about 30 min early and they said we could look around but they wont get to us until our scheduled time. So DD decided on her dress (cinderella) and then we went and did the castle walk through and looked around FL for a few minutes. About 10 minutes before our appointment we went back to BBB and the FGMIT was calling out "Princess Katie" and had been looking for us for a couple minutes so they did get to us a little early which is always good when your ready. The FGMIT was very nice and very attentive to my DD. Her name was Sandra. First she helped DD pick out her acceseries (DD chose the purse and Gloves and the magic wand that lights up) and then she said the mice had to make her dress so it would be a few minutes. So we looked around the store some more until the mice had finished Cinderellas dress. Then Sandra led us back to the changing room where the dress and accesseries were all laid out nice and neet. DD was soo excited and couldnt wait to put her dress on. DW and I helped her get dressed and then we let Sandra know we were ready. Sandra led us to the chair where they do the hair and makeup. DD got to choose her style of hair and she chose Fairytale Princess. Here is my one complaint about the BBB process. There are 3 choices for hair. Fairytale Princess which means the hair is up in a tight bun, Disney Diva which wasnt too bad but not ideal (hard for me to explain), or Pop princess which includes coloring or extensions or both but looked terrible to me. I would MUCH prefer they do the Princess hair styles like the original princess. If you are going to be Cinderella then make her hair look like Cinderellas. I can see mix matching the hair styles between princesses but make the original princess hair stlyes available. Thats my rant and only real complaint (cant complaint too much about the price as I knew what I was getting into before hand). Ok so Sandra got started on the hair as Dw and I sat on a bench right behind them and watched (and video taped it). Part way through another FGMIT came and did DDs makeup and nails. DD was great throughout the whole thing. She wont let us brush her hair most times but does great when we take her for haircuts and such and this was no different. She screams bloody murder if we even approach her with a brush but Sandra could pull and tug on her hair as much as she wanted and DD never said a word or cried at all. It is amazing the amount of "product" they put in her hair to make it hold. And they use so much Glitter "Pixie Dust" that I swear we left a trail throughout the parks and I am sure housekeeping at the PPH hated us because of all the glitter left on the furniture and such. The good news is my wife says the products must be pretty good because they washed out very easily a couple days later when we gave DD a bath. It took about 20-30 minutes I am guessing as I didnt look at my watch and then it was finally time to do the big reveal. They have "magic mirrors" covered with curtains and a couple of little birdies that pull the curtain open after DD said the magic words. The Mirror has some lights that twinkle as the curtain pulls open and DD gets to see herself for the first time as a Princess. The look on her face is priceless and she is soo excited. Next step is we pay while waiting for the photo op which comes with the big package. They have a room with Cinderellas carriage and some forest animals and stuff like that that they took us to for our pics. They did several poses with various props and they allowed us to take pics as well which is great. Once that was over we were done and it took about 10 minutes for our pictures to be done. They gave us a pink folder with one of her pictures in it and the original Cinderella FGM on the inside cover waving her wand. They also gave us copies of some of the other pictures they took. All in all it was a good experience and DD was so thrilled. She didnt take the dress off, or touch her hair for two days. And then we had to forcefully remove her clothes to give her a bath because she was so dirty after 2 full days in the parks. This is a great once in a lifetime treat but DD wont be getting that again anytime soon. Pics will be coming soon of this as well.

Here is my original post from Thursday We have been in the land of the mouse since Monday and have had a great time. But we had a hiccup this morning so we decided to extend one more day before leaving for home tomorrow in the evening.

We are staying at PPH and we bought 4 day park hoppers which we first used on Monday. So we got up this morning to EE and were in the first 10 people in line at the gates after security. Then they open the gates and our tickets come up with no time left on them. Today is our 4th day of 4 day park hoppers. The CM makes a half hearted effort to get her sup over but never actually gets anyone's attention instead has us stand out of the way and starts letting everyone else go by. I could see the sup over by the exits but the CM wouldn't give me the tickets back to walk over and talk to the sup. About 10-15 minutes we stand there waiting. I complained again that we were missing our MM and she finally got the sups attention. He takes our tickets and goes to another terminal and 5-10 min later comes back to tell us that there was a glitch in the system earlier this week that charged us for 2 visits in one day when we were park hopping and that made our ticket come up used up after only 3 days. So we finally get into the park and we have maybe 25 minutes of MM left. DD had a melt down as we entered after all that waiting so we had to sit down near the flag pole and de-escalate that situation. Finally we went to Fantasy land and PP line started near BBB, DD didn't want to ride dumbo, and Alice wasn't running yet because I guess a CM was running late or something. We were very frustrated so we went to tomorrow land and DW went to ride space while I took DD on astro blasters. After AB I took DD toward space and a huge crowd of people is walking out of space but not from the normal exit. Finally DW comes out and says that they were in line and moving and then without any CM saying anything to the people in like they led the people out an exit and sent them on their way. Turns out it was having some kind of issue and they didn't know how long it would be. We were very frustrated and our plan of action had been completely blown up. We were determined to calm down and have a good time and we have salvaged our day fairly well with FP collecting and strategic park movement.

We got hungry about 11:00 and wanted to try PI fried chicken I have read about on here quite a bit but they don't start lunch till noon so we decided to go to city hall and vent a little as well as see about adding one more say to our park hopper so that we weren't leaving on this sour note. Took a while and they had to have us go to guest services outside the park but we did get that extra day added as well as a special FP good on any ride except star tours (FP ride or not, she said we could use it on PP even ).

Now we did have some highlights today after all the issues this morning. DD has been scared to ride anything fast until today. She went on GGC for her first roller coaster and liked it so we were able to talk her into trying BTMRR a little later and she liked that as well (smiles through most of it and had her hands up for the first half of the ride). Then we finished with Splash (used our special FP because the line was 75 min or something like that.

We decided to take a break after that and DD fell asleep in the stroller on the way to the hotel and is still napping. We will head back after she wakes up. So I decided to get on my phone and vent a little while we rest in our room.

Tomorrow we will hit rope drop and ride our favs as well as do a little shopping and then head home. We are determined to make tomorrow a great day so we can end on a high note and not let this mornings issues be the thing we remember most on what has been an otherwise outstanding trip for us. I will post some updates and hopefully some pics of our trip this weekend or next week when we are home. I want to give my opinions on the PPH and on AG as well as some grad night observations for those of you who are going in June.

Last edited by coaches24; 06-03-2012 at 10:00 PM.
coaches24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
disneegrl4eva
now we just need a secret handshake or sign...
...because I'm special like that

well I for one am glad that you were able to get an extra ph day out of it...that really stinks that you had to go through that but hopefully tomorrow will be an amazing day for you with little to no meltdowns
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
coaches24
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneegrl4eva View Post
well I for one am glad that you were able to get an extra ph day out of it...that really stinks that you had to go through that but hopefully tomorrow will be an amazing day for you with little to no meltdowns
The PH day we payed for, we got the FP for our troubles. They couldn't get the add on to work with our tickets for whatever reason and then wanted to charge us close to normal full park hopper price instead of the difference between a 4 day and 5 day. The CMs that helped us were very nice and understanding, they just had some issues getting the computer to work with our WDTC tickets. Finally they just issued us paper ticket 5 day hoppers and left one more day on it for tomorrow and we paid just the difference which is about $12 per person.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
coaches24
DIS Veteran

Bump, here are my thoughts on the PPH. Will add more gradually.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
Hound 109
So non-screamin' family members can pass the time enjoyably while the Hound gets his Screamin' fix in

Excellent detailed review of the PPH.

I've stayed there 3 times & like you it's because it's the chea....... er, i mean the least expensive on site hotel. I've also stayed off site 5 times, but if the PPH is within $60-80 of offsite, i normally go with the PPH.

I agree with your take regarding it being an overall nice hotel & is incredibly convenient when using the GCH route to & from the parks.

GREAT tip on the elevators (didn't know that). I also stayed on the 13th floor DCA side once & agree the view is fabulous. Coaches, it sounds from other posts you did some solid research prior to your visit (on touring, the hotels, logistics etc.) & i'm glad it paid off.

Thanks again for the PPH review.

Not for the faint of heart, but LOTS of info for the WDW Vet visiting for one or two days:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1975805

Hound 109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
coaches24
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound 109 View Post
Excellent detailed review of the PPH.

I've stayed there 3 times & like you it's because it's the chea....... er, i mean the least expensive on site hotel. I've also stayed off site 5 times, but if the PPH is within $60-80 of offsite, i normally go with the PPH.

I agree with your take regarding it being an overall nice hotel & is incredibly convenient when using the GCH route to & from the parks.

GREAT tip on the elevators (didn't know that). I also stayed on the 13th floor DCA side once & agree the view is fabulous. Coaches, it sounds from other posts you did some solid research prior to your visit (on touring, the hotels, logistics etc.) & i'm glad it paid off.

Thanks again for the PPH review.

Thanks, and yes research is what I call it. Obsessed is what DW called it. But she wasnt complaining when we were getting on ride after ride with out long lines.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
coaches24
DIS Veteran

Added our BBB experience. Will try and get some pics up tonight of PPH and BBB.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
TigerlilyAJ
DIS Veteran

Yes, please try to get some pics up. Would love to see CL from PPH, especially at night.
TigerlilyAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
coaches24
DIS Veteran

There are some pics of our view and room.

Here are some of us at BBB.

Before

This isnt blurry on our Iphone darn it.

That ring lasted about an hour or so before we realized she lost it on the walk from BBB to DCA.

And this one I have to throw in. Its the end of the 2nd day after F!. I promise we tried to lay her back in the stroller but she wouldnt let us.

Last edited by coaches24; 06-03-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
coaches24
DIS Veteran

More pics

Ariels Grotto review

Now about AG. We had a 2:10 reservation. I had read up a little on AG and knew sort of what to expect, and I saw a few videos on you tube of the princesses being announced but I really didnt understand all of it until we went. I didnt know that I didnt understand until we were there. We showed up 30 minutes early to check in not realizing that they basically have the set system for how this all works. They put down that we were there but said we would be seated at close to 2:10. A few other families with the same time res checked in around the same time as we did. Ok so they call us to get seated (or page us I guess it was) and we go down stairs and see Ariel for some pics and then they seat us. At the closest table to the stairs and as it turns out the farthest inside table from where the princesses come out. Not ideal but not a big deal either. We sat down and looked at the menus and figured out what we wanted and a few minutes later our server came and asked about drinks and such. While he was getting the drinks another server brought out our appetizer tray. The food was good and all 3 of us had some things we liked and disliked on the tray so it worked out well. DW and I got our drinks but DD did not get hers. We ordered our entrees and still no drink for DD. It wasnt until our entrees came and we asked another server that we got DDs drink. We also didnt get bread till about we were half way done with our entrees. I had the Herb Crusted Chicken and that was very good. DW had the tri-tip and said it was good. The mash potatoes and gravy was good as well. I dont like green beans so I gave those to DW. We were almost done with our entrees before the princesses started being announced. This is where I didnt understand the process very well. I was thinking it was more like Minnies where they come out and mingle and interact a while throughout the meal, but that was not the case at all. They come out about half way through the meal, make one brief stop at every table and then head outside where they are announced again for those seated out on the patio. So first Princess was Aurora, then Belle, then Cinderella, then Snow White. Each one stopped long enough for pic and to sign our book but none said more than a few words to DD and Cinderella was the only one who asked any type of question of DD, I guess its because DD was dressed as Cinderella.

After the princesses were done they started bringing out the dessert trays. The brownies were a little dry and hard like they had been sitting out a while but the lava cake was very good. DD and DW liked the cookies they gave us but I wasnt a fan. None of us like white chocolate so we didnt eat the White Choc shell but that was the only thing we didnt eat.

Overall I was not overly impressed with AG. Mostly the service and lack of real interaction with the princesses was what disapointed me most. The food was good, and the look on DDs face when they announced all the princesses was priceless. I would give it another try since the food was good and because DD LOVES the princesses making this better than waiting in line for PFF. I know you can get bad service anywhere so hopefully that was not normal.

I dont have pics of the food but I know there are plenty around since the food is basically the same for everyone. I do have pics of DD with each princess. We didnt buy the 30 something dollar picture they took of DD with Ariel at the begining though the folder and presentation looked very nice. We decided to stick with our own pics. We also saw Ariel next to the castle right after we finished BBB and we knew those pics turned out well. The ones of Ariel in AG are a little blurry though.

Last edited by coaches24; 06-03-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #11
rmom
Mouseketeer

Your Princess is adorable!!!!!
rmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #12
mmlover74
Mouseketeer

How cute she is!! Glad the BBB was a hit. I wonder if they have adult dresses since I have 1 son.
mmlover74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #13
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

Sounds like you guys had a blast. Your DD is adorable. You are lucky Cinderella was at AG when you went. During our trip in April, DD chose Cinderella also at BBB. Cinderella wasn't at AG for our lunch time. In fact, we didn't see her the whole trip.
The view from your room is outstanding.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #14
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

This thread is really more of a Trip Report so I moved it over to the Disneyland TR section.

By the way, I've also stayed at the PPH - in fact, at this point I have lost count how many times I've stayed there over the last 11 or 12 years - and I'm glad you have a good experience there too!

Often times I think the PPH is frowned upon simply because it's across the street from the main hub of activity, and people see the walk as being sooo far when it's really not. Walking from the GCH to the parks is easy and seems close, so the extra distance you get in staying at the PPH simply involves crossing the street at the light to walk from the PPH to the GCH. That's really all there is to it.

Also, on my last 2 PPH stays I've had that same wonderful DCA view that you had (I was blessed with free upgrades as well) - it really did make a huge difference in how much I enjoyed the room. In 2010, every time I was in the room I kept gravitating towards the window to look at the wonderful view. At night it's just gorgeous.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #15
mommamonster
Mouseketeer

You guys were lucky to catch BTMRR! I was there last week and all but one time we passed it, it was broken down. One of the CM's told my son the goat with the dynamite got loose, haha. I really had hoped that I could take my son on it for the first time (it was my favorite ride as a kid). We also missed Space Mtn. although I would've just rode it single rider since my son was not interested. And I never saw Splash under a 70 minute wait, so you guys were smart to use your special FP for it!

Your little princess is adorable. I have two boys so I will probably never set foot in BBB or AG but it was interesting to read about your experiences!

Also, thanks for the input on PPH. We had breakfast with Mickey there on our last day, and I have to admit I think the hotel is very cute and am hoping to splurge on it next visit if money allows

DLR - May/June 2012, October 2013, A free pass day in April 2014
mommamonster is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: