Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

The Traumatized Toddler and the Quinn-cess Do Disney - February 5-11 2013

Dates: February 5-11, 2012
Resorts: ASMu and AoA LM

The People:

Sarah: Me! The Disney planner, the obsessed, the one who thinks that a trip with a toddler and an infant will be FUN! Favorite character: Pluto

James: My ever patient husband. He enjoys Disney, but wouldn't be heartbroken if we never went again.

Callum: 2.5 years old. My buddy. Active, friendly, opinionated. Doesn't do so well with change and overwhelming situations (aka being a toddler!). Favorite character: Nemo.

The Quinn-cess (Quinn): 8 months old. Sweet, social, growing a stubborn streak. Babywearing enthusiast. Favorite character: budding Rapunzel fan.

Why?

We were living on the west coast and it has been awhile since our last Disney World trip. We did a couple Disneyland trips in 2011, but we weren't expecting to get to WDW for a few years. And then we got transferred to Toronto in March, and we thought maybe January (marathon weekend!) 2014, once Callum was almost 4 and Quinn was almost 2. I was content with that idea. And then SWA had their crazy Black Friday sale.... And I couldn't turn down $50 flights from Buffalo! And so here we are, making the trip with a newly potty trained toddler and a baby! Whoops! But it's going to be FUN!!!

We booked ASMu for 5 nights with the DDP and 4 day park hoppers. We added on an extra night at AoA just to check it out, too. I originally had the QSDP with the Stay/Play/Dine package, but James asked me to upgrade so we could do some fun meals.

The Schedule

Here was our loose schedule, before Callum became the Traumatized Toddler and we had to change everything around.

February 4: Drop dogs at kennel in the morning. After dinner, get kids in pjs and drive the 90ish minutes from Toronto to buffalo. Check in at airport hotel and hopefully get everyone to sleep.

February 5: Early to the airport for our 7:35 flight to MCO. Arrive at MCO at 10:25. DME to ASMu. Spent the rest of the day relaxing, maybe swimming if weather permits, maybe DD for some shopping.

February 6: MK. Crystal Palace for breakfast. Leave when people get tired and come back in the afternoon for more.

February 7: DHS in the morning. Play & Dine character breakfast. Epcot in the afternoon

February 8: AK in the morning. Lunch at Tusker House. Probably sticking it out as long as we can and heading back early. Possibly MK in afternoon if we do take an afternoon nap.

February 9: MK in morning. Epcot in afternoon. Biergarten for dinner.

February 10: Check out of ASMu in morning and head to DtD for a couple hours. Check in to AoA and spend the rest of the day exploring AoA. Dinner at food court.

February 11: 8:30 flight back to Buffalo.

Fort Wilderness May 2014, Inaugural DOPEY CHALLENGE 2014, AoA February 2013, DLR (Christmas trip!) December 2011, DLR (DL Half Marathon) September 2011, AKL Kidani (WDW Half Marathon) 2011, CSR and the GOOFY 2010, WL and the WDW Half Marathon 2009 (2:29), Disneyland Resort Paris 2007, Off-Site 2006, ASMu 2002, Dixie Landings 2000
Old 03-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

And here's the point where I share off some of the custom stuff that I made for this trip.

So, I like to sew and I like babywearing. Seems like the perfect solution is for me to sew my own carriers, right? :D So, I made one for each kid for this trip.

Here is Quinn's Minnie Mouse carrier. This was my first carrier I'd ever sewn and I'm thrilled with how it turned out. It is a baby-sized mei tai made of linen, with a hoodie style sleep hood. SO EXCITED! :D

And here is Callum's Nemo carrier. I had a lot more experience with making carriers at this point, but appliqueing was all new to me. Nemo was my first applique project, and I learned a lot from it. I'm not entirely happy with how it turned out, but I'm still proud of it for a first shot. It is a toddler sized mei tai, also from linen, with a flat sleep hood.

And here is Quinn's Nemo outfit. Appliqued onesie with "anemone" tutu.

And Callum's Nemo shirt. "MINE!!!"

Callum and Quinn's "sibling" shirts.

The front:

And the back:

And then I realized that Quinn doesn't have any shoes (just warm winter boots suitable for a Canadian winter - those would be pretty overkill for Orlando!) in her current size, so I found myself some patterns...

Minnie Mouse soft soles:

And Rapunzel Mary Janes:

I also made a number of "toy leashes".... pretty much all of which were lost on DME from the airport.

Fort Wilderness May 2014, Inaugural DOPEY CHALLENGE 2014, AoA February 2013, DLR (Christmas trip!) December 2011, DLR (DL Half Marathon) September 2011, AKL Kidani (WDW Half Marathon) 2011, CSR and the GOOFY 2010, WL and the WDW Half Marathon 2009 (2:29), Disneyland Resort Paris 2007, Off-Site 2006, ASMu 2002, Dixie Landings 2000
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

Day 1 - Monday, February 4

The Plan: Dogs to the kennel, finish packing, head to Buffalo after dinner to check into the fabulous Buffalo Airport Days Inn.

I had my alarm set for 6:30, so I could attempt to get everything that needed to get done! Got up, had a quick shower, and got my coffee ready before the kids started waking up. We had to leave at 9:15 to drive the dogs to the kennel - one of my dogs is a high needs German Shepherd who has been kicked out of two dog kennels (one for "enforcing" rules that didn't exist with younger dogs, and one for digging great big craters in the play yard), so we have to drive 45 minutes to a kennel that will take them. :rofl:

Now, we didn't have any snow in Toronto, but as I started driving northwest out of the city, I quickly started hitting more and more snow on the sides of the highway. Our kennel is at the end of a dirt road, up a hill, and so I was mortified, but not particularly surprised, when my minivan got stuck half way up the hill, and I couldn't move at all! Callum was giggling in the back, the dogs were freaking out..... *sigh* So, I left the van where it stopped, uploaded the dogs, and walked them into the kennel. After handing the dogs off, I came back out to the car to grab the dog food and the kids, and brought them into the office with me while I filled out the forms and paid.

Callum quickly started getting agitated and asking, "where dogs go???" and then tried to break into the back of the kennel to get to the dogs - oops! He then opened up the container of food and started shaking a cup of food to try to call the dogs. I was pretty frazzled at this point, and balancing Quinn on my hip while I signed forms, and the guy who runs the kennel (who I really do love, but I was pretty annoyed with at this point!) kept laughing at the idea that I was taking my crazy toddler to Disney World. :P And to top it all off, I had to ask him to push my minivan up the hill to get out of his driveway! :rofl:

Alright, the dogs were dropped off and it was time to head back home! Quinn immediately fell asleep (yay!) and Callum had a snack during the 45 minute drive home. I stopped to fill up the van with gas and wash the salt off the windshield/windows (Callum excitedly yelled that "Mommy clean car!") on the way home, and then we headed home for lunch and nap time.

Ok, so Callum was down for a nap (and not sleeping), Quinn was asleep, and it was time to finish all the last minute packing! I finished packing, put the cloth diapers in to wash, washed dishes, lanolized my wool diaper covers (they take 2-3 days to dry, so this was the perfect time to get it done), cleaned Perry the Canary's cage.... and then I had run out of busy work and started going nuts. :D

I got Callum up from his "nap" at 3:00 and Quinn woke up at 4:00 - so I gave both kids their bath, and then started making a super healthy dinner of chicken strips and hash browns. James finally got home from work at 5:30, and he quickly ate dinner and we started packing up the minivan. I changed both kids into their PJs and we put them in to the car with blankets and their loveys for the drive.

My goal was to get out of the house between 6:30-7:00, and we were on the road at 6:50 - YAY! Both the kids were loud and hilarious in the back seat - Quinn kept squealing at Callum, and Callum kept laughing at Quinn.... The kids' were both so excited - neither knew what was going on, just that they were in the car at bed time in their pjs, and that was weird! - but it added to the fun "we're going on vacation!" atmosphere in the car. And then, 20 minutes down the road, I realized that we forgot the camera bag. :P Alright, so we were back on the road at 7:15 and on our way to Buffalo. It was a very uneventful 1:40 drive to Buffalo - even crossing the border, all we were asked was how many people were in the car and where we were going. We arrived at the hotel around 9:00, and the kids were both dead asleep - James and I were hungry because I hadn't had dinner (too busy flapping around, trying to get ready!) and chicken strips and hashbrowns aren't really the most filling dinner ever for a 30 year old male. We decided to drive back to an Arby's we had passed, and went through the drive thru for a snack - welcome to the beginning of poor food choices! Oh well, we were on vacation. :D

We checked into the hotel around 10:00, and James took the luggage up to the room. We tried to get the kids in asleep, but they both woke up. Callum probably would have gone right back to sleep, but Quinn was excited and squealing and she woke him up fully. It ended up being midnight before Callum fell asleep again, and 12:30 for Quinn. Oy.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

Day 2 - Tuesday, February 5

The Plan: Get up at 4:30 and take the 5:30 shuttle to the airport. Fly to Orlando. Spend the day vegging by the pool.

I'll be honest, I didn't really sleep at all that night - I was too wound up and excited. Quinn woke up at 4:00, and since the alarm was set for 4:30, we all just got up. We packed up the little bit of stuff we had unpacked, and ate a fabulous Days Inn continental breakfast, and then caught the 5:30 shuttle to the airport. We will definitely fly from Buffalo again in the future, but next time we'll just put the kids to bed at their regular time at home, and get up at 3:00 to drive to Buffalo. We'll all get more sleep that way!

The flight was entirely uneventful. We boarded with family boarding and had no trouble getting Callum's car seat installed in the seat (we bought an Evenflo Tribute for this trip, because the Britax Boulevard that we use for every day is a big pain to install on a plane!). Callum had been talking for weeks about how he "get go on airplane" - if someone asked him if he was going to go see Mickey Mouse, he would answer "No, I get go on airplane!". He was pretty excited to finally get on the airplane! Quinn slept for almost the entire flight, and Callum snuggled into his car seat with my iPhone and a pair of ear phones, and watched Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and ate a few snacks. James and I even managed to catch a few minutes of sleep! The flight left on time at 7:35 and got in a few minutes early at 10:15.

Once we arrived at MCO, we got to ride the first "ride" of the trip - the airport tram! Callum was again, thrilled. :D

We went straight to DME and we were led to a bus almost immediately. This was the third really exciting part of the day - we live right next to a bus stop, but Callum had never been on a bus before! He was so excited to get to board the "Mouseketools Bus" and he had a lot of fun looking out the window and watching the video on the ride. ASMu was the second stop after Coronado Springs.

We got off the bus and went straight for the online check in line. There was no one in line, so it took us no time for us to get all checked in and ready to go to our room. I had requested a ground floor room in the Broadway section, but we got a top floor room in the Country section, in the farthest building from Melody Hall. Grrr! I wasn't seriously annoyed, but James was kind of put off. We later found out that the resort was completely full due to the National Cheer Competition.... ooops! This cheer competition would become central to our trip in later days. LOL!

Alright, so we walked past the guitar and the piano pool on our way to the Country section. Callum was riding in the back of our Sit and Stand stroller as we walked over the room, so we weren't sure how much he was paying attention. But, as soon as we got to our room, he immediately started taking off his shoes and socks. Fair enough. Then off came his pants and underwear..... maybe he needed to use the potty? And then finally his shirt, and he ran over to the bathroom to grab a towel. We have a pretty funny picture (that I won't post for obvious reasons!) of Callum standing at the door buck naked, with a towel wrapped around his waist, and trying to open the door to escape. It took us a few minutes to realize that he wanted to go swimming! DUH!!!! :rofl:

Of course, Mama was really stupid when she did the packing, and all of our swimsuits were in our luggage with DME..... and our plan for the day was to go swimming! *sigh* So, we got Callum dressed again, and headed to the food court for lunch. We used our first two dining plan credits on a Philly steak sandwich (James) and a taco salad (me) and got our refillable mugs. James got a muffin as his dessert, and I got a Mickey rice krispy treat. Callum shared the salad with me, and I fed Quinn some sweet potato baby food. Lucky girl. :S

On our way back to the room from the food court, we came up with our plan for the rest of the day. We decided to go spend a few hours at Epcot - so we packed up our bag and headed for the bus stop. I was wearing Quinn in the woven baby wrap that I had brought, and she fell asleep in the wrap on the bus.

Once we arrived at Epcot, James decided that he wanted to try out the Nemo baby carrier that I had made for Callum. It was really cute!!!

With our little Nemo in tow, we decided to go to The Seas to ride the Nemo ride - Callum is a HUGE Nemo fan, and a big fan of fish in general, so we knew this would be a big hit. Callum was really excited about the "MINE!" seagulls in front of the entrance, so we stood there for a few minutes so he could watch them. When we finally tried to go into the pavillion, Callum started crying that, "I get more seagulls!" :rofl:

Alright, so I figured the ride would be a big hit, but I completely forgot about the dark and scary part with the angler fish. Callum let out a blood curdling scream and woke up Quinn, who woke up from a dead sleep in a dark and loud place where there was a giant fish trying to eat us. Cue two kids freaking out! Whoops! That was definitely my bad parenting moment for the day!

We got off the ride and got both kids calmed down, and then we walled around to visit the fish and the manatees. Callum started getting really sleepy, so James put him back up on his back, and Callum quickly passed out. So, what do you do at Epcot when you have a sleeping toddler on your back???

Grey Goose slush, that's what!

We also got a few Photopass photos with Callum fast asleep on James' back, which turned out kind of funny.

We walked around World Showcase, and then headed to the bus stops to get a bus back to ASMu. James woke up Callum on the bus, and the poor kid was SO TIRED and cranky. Our luggage had arrived in our room, so we decided to go for a quick swim before dinner, which helped perk up the kid. James wanted to go to the guitar pool so the kids could play in the splash pool. It was a good decision because they both had a lot of fun (Callum made friends with a little girl with a beach ball, who started referring to him as "My Funny Boy" LOL!) but it also meant we had to carry two tired grumpy kids back to the room after they were done, with Callum wailing "I get POOL!" all the way back.

I had ordered a box of baby food, a rain cover for our stroller, and a noise machine from Amazon.com, and tracking showed that our order had arrived that afternoon. While James got the kids showered off and in pjs, I went to Melody Hall to pick up my box and to get some food for dinner. The person at the front desk at ASMu told me that he couldn't find our box, but that it would be delivered to the room the next day. *sigh* I really wanted that white noise machine! :rofl: I went on to the food court and used another CS credit on an individual veggie pizza and a fruit cup.

We split the pizza and the fruit cup, and then put the kids to bed. The kids were asleep by 6:30 and James and I were asleep by 8:00.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

Wednesday, February 6

I had a wake up call set for 6:45, but Quinn was awake at 6:00 - this would become a theme for the trip! The girl sleeps until 8:00 at home, but she was up bright and early all week!

We were showered and dressed and on the bus to MK by 7:30. I was wearing Quinn in the Minnie Mouse mei tai baby carrier that I made for her. We arrived at the MK shortly after 8:00, and were through the gates. A CM offered to take our picture in front of the entrance with no people around, so we stopped for photos there, and again on Main Street.

We checked in at Crystal Palace around 8:15, and took a few more pictures while we were waiting for our table.

Our table was called after a few minutes, and we headed in to have breakfast with Pooh and friends! I was a little anxious for this meal, as I had no idea how Callum would react to the characters. We did a character breakfast in Disneyland when Callum was 15 months and it was the highlight of the trip (he shared a waffle with Rafiki!) but he was a lot younger then. We were seated at our table, and James went off to get food for the kids - melon, hard boiled eggs, and a croissant. I also went up to get some dry cereal for Quinn to munch on; I was hoping for some Cheerios, but the closest I got was Fruit Loops. :P

James and I took turns grabbing plates with our food - I took some fruit, bacon, puffed french toast, and corned beef hash. I also went back for breakfast lasagna for my "dessert" course. The first character to come visit us was Tigger, followed by Piglet, Eeyore, and Pooh. Neither kid really knew what to make of the characters - Callum wasn't exactly freaking out, but he definitely did not want the characters anywhere near him!

We also took my favorite picture of the kids, of the whole trip:

After breakfast, we decided to head straight for our real goal of the day - getting a picture of Mini Rapunzel with the real Rapunzel! The wait for the princesses at Town Square Theatre was less than 10 minutes and then we were ushered in to meet Rapunzel, Aurora and Cinderella. This was my first meet and greet with face characters, it was a lot more fun than I imagined it would be!

That's a bit too much huggin, Rapunzel!

Rapunzel was super cute with Quinn, but Cinderella was overall the best with the kids. Both kids really liked her! Callum was just so-so about the other princesses.

As we were exiting the meet and greet, someone noticed Callum's t-shirt and chuckled, "Haha, Boba Fetch!" YES!!! Someone got it!

Next, over to New Fantasyland to check it out. Oh man, it's going to be so cool once all the phases are open!!! We were especially excited to see Rapunzel's tower peaking out from behind the construction walls near IASW. We grabbed fastpasses for The Little Mermaid on our way past, but I didn't notice until the machine had already spit them out that the time was already for 1:50-2:50. It turns out the ride didn't open until 1:00 that day - no idea why, because it opened when everything else did on the other day we visited MK. Oops!

We walked around New Fantasyland, checked out the line for BOG (not happening!), and also decided not to wait for Enchanted Tales with Belle because it was already at 60 minutes. We never did manage to get to that, which was a disappointment, but it'll be more fun once the kids are older, anyway. We tried to talk Callum into visiting with Gaston, but he was not convinced!

We wandered back into "Regular Fantasyland" and Callum and James rode the carousel while Quinn and I watched. We went over to ride IASW, and then decided to track down Dumbo. The Dumbo FP time was only 45 minutes away, so we grabbed a FP, and James decided to ride the Barnstormer with Callum, who was just barely tall enough. Apparently Callum thought it was the most awesome ride ever....until is started going down the drop! So, apparently my toddler was that kid on Barnstormer yelling, "I get DOWN!" the entire way through the ride. :rofl:

We needed a bit of "down time", so Callum played in the water at the Casey Jr water play area for a little while - it's kind of cool, but it's not hugely "little kid" friendly, as all the squirting water is up high. After he was done, we got on the train around the park, which was definitely Callum's favorite ride of the day!

It was time for our Dumbo FP, so we got into line. The line is pretty neat, with the "waiting area". We had a FP so we skipped most of it, but I wouldn't mind doing the standby line one day! On Dumbo, James and Quinn took one elephant, while Callum and I took the other. He was very excited about the ride, and loved using the control lever.... until he held the lever at the top when we were already all the way up, the the elephant gave a bit of a shudder and a jerk. We spent the rest of the ride with another round of "I get DOWN!!!!" wailing. Ooops!

At this point, James suggested that since the train was such a hit, we should ride the Peoplemover! We made the trek over to Tomorrowland and as soon as Callum saw the Peoplemover up the tracks, he was fascinated. We boarded our car, and the ride started out great.... until we entered Space Mountain and it was pitch black, and Callum started to scream. *sigh* Do you notice a trend, here? Poor kid.

It was time for our Ariel fastpasses, so we went back over to FL to ride. We rode this ride OVER AND OVER when we were in Disneyland in December 2011 - it was definitely one of Callum's favorites! This time.... he loved the Under the Sea room, but was traumatized by Ursula and her eels.

We decided to find a "quiet" place to hang out, and thought maybe Callum would fall asleep in the stroller if we walked over to the Contemporary. It was a nice walk and a nice quiet break for Callum, but he didn't fall asleep. So we decided to get on the monorail. We did the loop around, and then got off at the TTC on the second loop. The monorail was definitely the hit ride of the day for Callum! LOL! Hmmm..... so we were one for one for transportation - how about a BOAT RIDE!!?? We got on the ferry back to the MK and Callum was thrilled by the ferry ride. Ok, so slow and public transportation-y it is. Got it. We walked from the ferry dock over to the bus area and got on a bus back to ASMu.

My Amazon.com box was waiting for us in the room - yay! We changed into our swim suits and went for a swim in the piano pool, and then I ran to the food court to grab a large pizza for dinner. We ate about half the pizza, and the rest went into the fridge for snacks later in the week. A few books, and then the kids were asleep.

Last edited by Sarah_Rose; 03-18-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

Thursday, February 7

Today was another 6:45 wake up call.... which for some reason never went off! Luckily, Quinn was awake at 6:30, so we were up, but it was weird that the phone never rang! We got dressed and were on a bus to DHS pretty quickly.

We stopped for a few photos in the entrance area of DHS, before heading over to Hollywood and Vine.

We checked in at H&V and were seated almost immediately. We actually ended up with one of the best tables in the entire restaurant - right front and center from where the characters did their song and dance every 20 minutes. Not that it did us any good, because....

Callum freaked out. He freaked out big time. He cried and fought and screamed every time a character came near him. He asked to use the potty (because it was quiet and away from the characters) about 8 times during breakfast. He HATED this character meal. And it seemed like the more he liked a character on TV, the more traumatic it was to meet them in real life. Handy Manny (who Callum LOVES) just got in a sheepish wave before running off.

I don't remember at all what we ate, but I do remember that there was coffee and our wonderful server kept it coming!

Alright, let's get out of here!!!!

We walked towards TSMM, but the line was already too long and the fast passes were too far out. Whatever. We strolled around the backlot area, which was pretty much dead at this time of the day, as everyone else rushed to TSMM. We went over to the Cars M&G, but Callum had a great big freak out about the lights and loud noises in the M&G area. Darn.

Well, at this point James had a sobbing whining toddler on his back in the Tula baby carrier and the day was quickly going down hill. Quick, time for a playground!

The HISTK playground was a lovely way to turn around our morning! Callum had fun running and splashing and climbing ("I get up spider web!!!!") and I let Quinn climb around in the big dog print for awhile, even. The one down side was that her shoes ended up being permanent stained black from the rubber surface of the playground, and weren't salvageable. Ooops!

After about an hour of play time, Quinn was starting to fade, so we talked Callum out of the playground with promises of snack. We realized that there wasn't going to be much left for him to do at DHS - the Disney Junior show was closed for rehab, and he was having a great big freak out at anything dark or loud or involving characters.

So, we did what any other self-respecting toddler-toting family would do.... and high-tailed it for AK.

We spent quite a bit of time looking at the animal exhibits in the Oasis.

And then jumped into line for the Safari. The line was less than 10 minutes, and then we were in our safari jeep. The trip was pretty good this time - we got stopped by animals on the road in the savannah area, and we spent a long time watching the giraffes in that area. The driver went into a lot of detail on how to tell the difference between Reticulated and Masai giraffes - I found that very interesting because giraffes are one of my favorite animals and I had no idea that there two distinct types!

The hippos were napping out in the open, which I've never seen before.

After the safari, we considered doing the Pangani Forest Trail, but everyone was getting cranky. Instead, we used a snack credit for some ice cream, and James and Callum shared it, while Quinn munched on some apple wagon wheels.

After our snack, we decided to head back to ASMu for a break. James got Callum dressed in his swim suit and took him to the pool, while I nursed Quinn down to sleep and put her in her crib. After about an hour, Callum and James came back, and Callum immediately grabbed my hand and tried to take me to the pool! I ended up spending another hour with him at the piano pool. While Callum and I were playing in the pool, I started seeing huge groups of cheerleaders entering the resort..... uh oh! It was at this point that I learned the phrase "Cheer Week". LOL! It turned out that we not only picked the week of the National Cheer Championship, but we also picked the resort that most of the cheerleaders were staying at. I will say upfront that the VAST majority of the cheerleaders that we encountered were very polite and well-behaved. We didn't have a single problem with a cheer group at the parks, the resort, or on the buses. However, it was quite daunting to have HUGE groups of cheerleaders at the bus stops, pools, and food court. I think this is true of any huge group, though.

Callum and I played in the pool until 4:00, and then got out and went back to the room to change for dinner. We had to wake up Quinn to get her moving, and she wasn't very happy about that!

We had a 4:45 reservation at Coral Reef, and we arrived a few minutes late, after waiting for a bus to Epcot for about 20 minutes. We were seated immediately in a table at the end of the top section. The view of the fish was ok, but it wasn't enough to hold Callum's attention, and he became cranky pretty quickly. He started his periodic trips to the bathroom as an excuse to get up every 10 minutes. Blah. Despite the tired cranky toddler, we did really enjoy the food a lot! James ordered a steak, and I ordered the sustainable seasonal catch. The fish was a type of fish I had never heard of (and I can't remember the name, now!) and it was very flavorful and delicious! The smoked gouda grits were to die for, and it also had rock shrimp and sausage in the sauce. OMG. SO GOOD! This was definitely my favorite meal of the trip! I also ordered the Blood Orange Cheesecake for dessert, but I wasn't that impressed - the cheesecake didn't have much flavor and was kind of "fluffy" and had more of a mousse texture than cheesecake.

After dinner, we decided to check out Turtle Talk - Callum spent a good portion of the show quietly whining "I get push B!" after we tore him away from the Pop Quiz computer game in the waiting area. *sigh* The show was cute, as always.

We took some time to watch the seagulls outside the pavillion.

And then decided to call it a night, as it suddenly started to drizzle.

We waited with about 50 cheerleaders to catch our bus back to the resort, and then we were on our way back "home". Once again, the kids were both asleep within minutes of getting to the room.

I left the room to go fill up my refillable mug, and while i was out of the room, I got an exciting phone call and an exciting Facebook message. The first surprise was that my parents had just checked in at POR! My parents had been on vacation in FL for several weeks, but we weren't sure if they were going to meet up with us during the trip. It turns out they had driven up from Key West that day, and were going to come join us at AK the next morning! The exciting message was from a good friend that I met through the DIS, who lives in St Petersburg - she and the 6 year old that she takes care of (she's worked as a live-in nanny for the family since the girl was a baby) were going to come meet us at MK on Sunday! YAY!!! This friend is a member of the WISH running group, and we had both run the Goofy in 2010. We had tried to meet up a few times since then, but it never worked out. We weren't planning on going to the parks on the Sunday of our trip, but our plans quickly changed and I popped in to Melody Hall to add a couple more days on to our park hoppers. Twist my arm.

Back to the room, and then off to bed!

Last edited by Sarah_Rose; 03-18-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
appleorchard
DIS Veteran

Great report! We were there around the same time, Feb 3-9th. But we weren't staying with the cheerleaders lol! your kids are very cute and my DGD was the same way as your son on his first trip--and he was five! His 2 year old sister loved everything. Go figure!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleorchard View Post
Great report! We were there around the same time, Feb 3-9th. But we weren't staying with the cheerleaders lol! your kids are very cute and my DGD was the same way as your son on his first trip--and he was five! His 2 year old sister loved everything. Go figure!
Thanks so much for reading! And oh man, Callum won't grow out of his fear of anything loud or dark or fast or large or....? I suspect as much, knowing his personality! It seems like instead of getting two kids who were somewhere in the middle of the spectrum, I was given two at opposite ends to balance each other out.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
epsmith921
Mouseketeer

Fun report! Love the shoes and such you made! Totally cute.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #10
Dreamer & Wisher
DIS Veteran

Great report! You are very talented. Those carriers are adorable! I really like the Nemo shirt and tutu you made.

Hope you write some more.

We just came home from our 11th trip, a week at Pop Century!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: