Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #121
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Glad the girl was ok. Not a good way to start a school trip.
DS15 had a bottle of water in his backpack when going through security this year ( he should've known better-teenagers!!) I think it was in CT, security was really good about it though PHEW!!!
Nice tour of All Star Movies. We've never stayed at a value. It looks really nice. My BIL and family are staying there in August.
OMG That was a really LONG delay!!
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
Old 06-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #122
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom View Post

This trip chaperoning business sure has got me thinking. At first glance I think that a Disney trip is something that I would definitely sign up for to be a chaperone. Now I'm not so sure. Intellectually I know that a trip like that would have to be on a whole different set of terms and I wonder if I would have the patience to deal with that. On the other hand I would love to share my knowledge and enjoyment of Disney with kids other than my own, knowing that even though they may not be able to express their appreciation of the experience, I would still be making an impact on them in some small positive way.
~NM
My thoughts exactly! I think I have the patience, but I think the difference for me would be having to use it in one of my happiest places. I will say that unpleasant real-life circumstances have entered a few of my Disney trips, and they have yet to impair the magic!

I can only relate as a high school student on a WDW trip in the 80s! I went through significant TS withdrawal and had to stay off-site (gasp!) We had one free day at WDW and had to choose between Epcot and MK. As I'm an Epcot girl, the choice was clear. The challenge was rallying friends to join me. But I launched a successful Epcot campaign (it's new, there's nothing like it elsewhere, I will develop a plan for everyone, etc.) and we had a great day, despite my TS withdrawal!)

Dee, looking forward to your concluding thoughts regarding ASMovies. Did you know that I was booked there once when M was tiny and before we were an official Disney Family of Five? Wanted to save money and thought it would be fun for the boys. I chickened and switched to BC a few weeks before the trip. Everyone was happy with that decision. But I'm interested to know what you think of ASMovies in a pinch for a short budget stay (always thinking about my on-the-way-to-the-airport stops at WDW!) And how did Nate handle deluxe-to-value? Did he pay less attention because it was a school trip, or did the differences have an impact?

Love Ben's texts! Love the photo of the boys at the airport - nice work! I vote the jack-in-the-box THE creepiest thing at Disney, no question. (And the masks at POFQ in the food court are second, but they didn't really bother us when we were there.)

As a frequent chaperone of school trips (but nothing like this yet!) I'm wondering about the kids - by age 14, do they talk to you at all or do you just chat with fellow chaperones most of the time?
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/BWI!)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #123
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333disneymom View Post
Great resort pics! I really like the No Electronics Rule. It probably made your job a little easier. Sounds like a really large group. I would definitely be counting and recounting. That's a lot of responsibility! Luckily, they had you in charge. On our last trip, any time I had to take out a card for a discount, I had to keep counting to make sure all my cards - room key, Visa, DVC card, passholder, etc. were in place.

As the relative of a family member with a food allergy, that was my first thought too. Glad to hear that was not the case.
Thanks! The kids knew going in that they wouldn't have their phones and I never heard a complaint. We did share our phones to let the kids call home... when we remembered to remind them!

I have many close friends with children who have allergies and I am very sensitive to the issues families have to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMomR View Post
Dee - thanks for taking us on the tour! Wow, you are right, creepy creepy - jack-in-the-box? I have to say the gardens are pretty, never toured a value resort.

Love the Mickey waffles. Reminds me of years ago when BC and BW Bakery had large Mickey donuts. My kids loved them and then one year they just stopped serving them.
You are welcome! So I either have never seen Fantasia, or it has been a long while, but I think the Jack-in-the-box comes from that. I think Disney would have made a better choice putting a Dancing Hippo there.

MMMmmm Mickey Waffles. I actually ended up splitting it with Nate, one of the dads and his son. I think I had an ear and a smile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
What great resort pictures! I've always thought the value resort theming was so bright and colorful and that we might enjoy them. But, I can't get over the fact that there's just one big bus stop and they aren't covered. I know that's an odd thing to worry over but it's kept us from trying a value resort.
Thank you!!! The theming at Movies is definitely Disney, it was fun seeing all the giant icons. The bus stop situation, a cover would be nice as would a few more benches/seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
I love the TR via text message technique! Your family knows you so well.

Despite some bumps in the road (EMTs, plane delays, people who don't know MCO ), you guys have safely made it to Disney! What did you think of All-Star Movies?

That is a lot of tickets/vouchers to keep track of. I hate having to keep track of mine and Franklin's when we're there, I can't imagine multiplying that by seven.

ETA: Oops! I hadn't seen the walking tour of the resort before I posted...I'll post more after I finish those chapters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Thanks for the tour of the resort. I love all the icons at the values, they are just so festive. You got some fabulous photos!

I also find myself envious of value food courts, you just don't get those kind of options at the Deluxes.

Can't wait to hear more.
A couple of the text message exchanges cracked me up!

We stayed at All Star Music back in 2008- I don't think the theming was quite as impressive at Music. The grounds at Movies were nice and even though we were in one of the back buildings, I didn't find the size overwhelming.

I don't think the four of us would be comfortable with the room size. I'll post the room pictures in the morning. It was fine for the two adults/room for this trip, and for the 4 teens (although I think in many rooms 2 used beds, 2 slept on the floor and then they switched the next night).

I really liked the colors in some of the early morning pictures- the downside, the reason I got those shots is because I was awake at 4:30 that morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishinon3stars View Post
Great pictures of the resort! I love the theming of the hotel especially for families with younger children.

Totally agree with your opinion of 2nd creepiest thing at Disney!

Great trip report writing!
Thanks so much! I'm glad you are enjoying the report and pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddluvsdisney View Post
Glad the girl was ok. Not a good way to start a school trip.
DS15 had a bottle of water in his backpack when going through security this year ( he should've known better-teenagers!!) I think it was in CT, security was really good about it though PHEW!!!
Nice tour of All Star Movies. We've never stayed at a value. It looks really nice. My BIL and family are staying there in August.
OMG That was a really LONG delay!!
I usually "forget" that I have a tube of Chapstick in my pockets or fanny pack when I go through security on the way home from someplace sunny. I didn't push my luck on this trip (but still managed to deal with security on the flight home)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
My thoughts exactly! I think I have the patience, but I think the difference for me would be having to use it in one of my happiest places. I will say that unpleasant real-life circumstances have entered a few of my Disney trips, and they have yet to impair the magic!

I can only relate as a high school student on a WDW trip in the 80s! I went through significant TS withdrawal and had to stay off-site (gasp!) We had one free day at WDW and had to choose between Epcot and MK. As I'm an Epcot girl, the choice was clear. The challenge was rallying friends to join me. But I launched a successful Epcot campaign (it's new, there's nothing like it elsewhere, I will develop a plan for everyone, etc.) and we had a great day, despite my TS withdrawal!)

Dee, looking forward to your concluding thoughts regarding ASMovies. Did you know that I was booked there once when M was tiny and before we were an official Disney Family of Five? Wanted to save money and thought it would be fun for the boys. I chickened and switched to BC a few weeks before the trip. Everyone was happy with that decision. But I'm interested to know what you think of ASMovies in a pinch for a short budget stay (always thinking about my on-the-way-to-the-airport stops at WDW!) And how did Nate handle deluxe-to-value? Did he pay less attention because it was a school trip, or did the differences have an impact?

Love Ben's texts! Love the photo of the boys at the airport - nice work! I vote the jack-in-the-box THE creepiest thing at Disney, no question. (And the masks at POFQ in the food court are second, but they didn't really bother us when we were there.)

As a frequent chaperone of school trips (but nothing like this yet!) I'm wondering about the kids - by age 14, do they talk to you at all or do you just chat with fellow chaperones most of the time?
OK, is this a post or an essay test???

Too funny about EPCOT. Mark and I went to EPCOT as high school seniors in 1984. I think the two of us started there, while the rest of the class went to MK first. We loved it!!! Still do. Then we went to MK when everyone else was off someplace else and we visited Busch Gardens while our classmates got fried in the sun at Daytona Beach.

Nate was totally not impacted by staying value. His friends were there and that was all that counted. He is normally not interested in pool time, he is strictly a social swimmer, so he spent lots of time in the pool on this trip.

I was impressed by the food court. Lots of great selections. I had a decent turkey dinner one night, there was sliced beef, another chaperone had salmon one night and a chicken pot pie with puff pastry crust another and said it was very good.

Fantastic dessert options, but I kept sticking with the Mickey Bars. You can get a sundae anywhere, but There's only one place you can properly enjoy those!!! And it was nice to have it without it dripping down my hand.

The lack of a large food court at the Beach Club does not bother me. With Sunshine Seasons, Tangierine Cafe, the French Boulangerie and many more places a quick walk away, I have never been wanting.

I wouldn't stay at one of the All Stars with all 4 of us.

I liked that photo of the boys at the airport. I had to blur out two of their faces.

I mostly chatted with the other chaperones, but some of the kids would talk to me for a little while. Not my son, of course, but some of the other boys.

Last edited by natebenma; 06-13-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:44 AM   #124
natebenma
DIS Veteran

For today's installment, you have to go back to Post 112, Room 7763

Here's the link: Room 7763

Next Up: Magic Kingdom: Energy and Waves
(The Only Attraction in Disney I Dis)
Old 06-14-2012, 05:31 AM   #125
JanetMom
DIS Veteran

Great pictures! I love the way they do up the buildings and grounds at the All Star resorts. And the room looks great.

I would be quite happy staying there. (If only they could add balconies on the rooms, a full-service restaurant, CL dessert buffets, Teena... oh, and make it walking distance to Epcot! If they did all that, I'd so be there!)

Did you have to share a room with another chaperone, or was that your own little peaceful oasis? (If you shared - did she snore or hog the bathroom?)

Trip Report - March Break 2012 at the YC http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post44422655
Trip Report - March Break 2010 at CR – with stops at Poly, GF, WL, BW, BC, YC, MK, Epcot, HS, DD, and TL http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post35923604
Trip Report - Solo trip - A brief stay at CSR with a stop at AKL (with pics!) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36750372

FW - 1972 (I think, I was little then!); WL - 2004; WL CL - 2007; CR CL - 2010; CSR - 2010; YC CL - 2012
Old 06-14-2012, 05:46 AM   #126
MickeyT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
I really liked the colors in some of the early morning pictures- the downside, the reason I got those shots is because I was awake at 4:30 that morning.
Ah. That is so my mode of operation. At least half my mornings I am wondering around the resort with my camera watching the place come to life.

Which reminds me. If there are any particular pic's you need for 'the other thread' just let me know.

Loving the TR!

Old 06-14-2012, 06:01 AM   #127
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMom View Post
Great pictures! I love the way they do up the buildings and grounds at the All Star resorts. And the room looks great.

I would be quite happy staying there. (If only they could add balconies on the rooms, a full-service restaurant, CL dessert buffets, Teena... oh, and make it walking distance to Epcot! If they did all that, I'd so be there!)

Did you have to share a room with another chaperone, or was that your own little peaceful oasis? (If you shared - did she snore or hog the bathroom?)
ITA!!! It would be nice if a version of Stormalong Bay was added too.

I shared the room with one other chaperone. The room was a good size for two adults. I wouldn't have wanted to add anyone else to the mix.

No snoring or bathroom hogging. I was usually out of the room for most of the early morning- walking around the resort, sitting outside with my phone catching up on the DIS and helping with breakfast prep. Then I would hop into the shower about 30 minutes before leaving for the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyT View Post
Ah. That is so my mode of operation. At least half my mornings I am wondering around the resort with my camera watching the place come to life.

Which reminds me. If there are any particular pic's you need for 'the other thread' just let me know.

Loving the TR!
Can't think of anything. Maybe of the cupcakes in the Marketplace.

If it is easy to update your Marketplace price list, that would be great! I don't need a live price update, if you could make note of any changes and let us know when you get back. Thx.

Have a wonderful time!!!
Old 06-14-2012, 06:20 AM   #128
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

I think you took as many pictures as I did when I was there...love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
What great resort pictures! I've always thought the value resort theming was so bright and colorful and that we might enjoy them. But, I can't get over the fact that there's just one big bus stop and they aren't covered. I know that's an odd thing to worry over but it's kept us from trying a value resort.
Thats the positive about Values to me....one bus stop. But being covered would be nice.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #129
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

I'm here and all caught up. So glad the girl was ok, and hope she enjoyed the trip.

6 parents and 14 students would be nice for me. Our Busch Gardens trip was 7 boys and me. But, it was just one day and not all week. And I know the counting, that is what I do at least once between rides.

Glad the flight went smoothly once you were on the plane. Love the sunset picture and all the pics of the resort. I hadn't seen that creepy pic before. I would think that would scare small children and some adults.

And I love the school districts logic about splitting up into two planes.
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014
Old 06-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #130
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I think you took as many pictures as I did when I was there...love it!

Thats the positive about Values to me....one bus stop. But being covered would be nice.
Because of my work on the BC/YC FAQ, I tend to take pictures of ALL the details. Someone out there somewhere wants to know!

I posted the room pix to the photo thread this morning. I'll add the resort pictures, along with "bonus tracks"- ones I haven't posted here, from other sections of the resort and many more from the food court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmskinner View Post
I'm here and all caught up. So glad the girl was ok, and hope she enjoyed the trip.

6 parents and 14 students would be nice for me. Our Busch Gardens trip was 7 boys and me. But, it was just one day and not all week. And I know the counting, that is what I do at least once between rides.

Glad the flight went smoothly once you were on the plane. Love the sunset picture and all the pics of the resort. I hadn't seen that creepy pic before. I would think that would scare small children and some adults.

And I love the school districts logic about splitting up into two planes.
So glad to have you here following along.

We saw a lot of other groups while we were there- one of them had a pretty clever counting technique- The chaperone would yell "Count Off" and each kid had been assigned a number and would call theirs out, in order.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #131
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We saw a lot of other groups while we were there- one of them had a pretty clever counting technique- The chaperone would yell "Count Off" and each kid had been assigned a number and would call theirs out, in order.
That is a great idea, except for the ones we were behind one day at Soarin' that proceeded to count off continuoulsy in line.
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014
Old 06-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #132
luvpoohandcompany
DIS Veteran

Loving the tour of the resort-oh and Micky waffles-yum! Makes my toasted pancake seem so lame this morning
Old 06-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #133
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

Great pics Dee!

I'm waiting with baited breath for the next installment.

140 middle school kids -
You are my hero! Some days I can barely stand the two
that are mine!!!!

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
Old 06-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #134
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmskinner View Post
That is a great idea, except for the ones we were behind one day at Soarin' that proceeded to count off continuoulsy in line.
Oh, that does not sound like fun! We have had a couple of incidents with tourists of a certain country who were chanting in the queue line for Pirates- um, that really echos! and another group in a People Mover car next to us screaming their heads off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvpoohandcompany View Post
Loving the tour of the resort-oh and Micky waffles-yum! Makes my toasted pancake seem so lame this morning
I'm not a big fan of waffles in general, but when they are Mickey-shaped...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomx7 View Post
Great pics Dee!

I'm waiting with baited breath for the next installment.

140 middle school kids -
You are my hero! Some days I can barely stand the two
that are mine!!!!
I think we will finally get to a park with my next chapter!
Old 06-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #135
BLTtinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Ben's concerns may have been valid though. Here is another text exchange with home:

Thursday
5:24 PM: Packed!!! How are my kitties?

5:27 PM: They are doing fine. Oreo is STILL fat. But Monster is hitting everyone.
5:28 PM: By the way, BEN is FINE.

Hahaha! Thanks for the laugh!

This is SO going in the trip report!!!

This sounds like something Marlton Mom would say!
Looking forward to reading more......

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: