Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2012, 05:30 AM   #91
luvpoohandcompany
DIS Veteran

Ok Seriously Dee-I have been scared by many things in my life-take my word for it but BLUE CRISPS Maybe that poor teen girl caught sight of them and fright took over
Have to ask (given that I'm of a curious-no, not nosey-nature) what flavour were they?

Medical emergencies are not fun at the best of times but even more so when it's someone elses kid in your care! Glad all was ok in the end

Our kids are not allowed to bring electrical items that can access the web on school trips either. They arent allowed to turn on mobile phones of any type on school grounds and have to have signed parental permission to bring one to school. My eldest son brings one so that he can phone me if there are any problems en route to school or home

Totally agree with you that you were the most deprived doing without grey goose slushies for a trip to epcot.
Love all your pics as usual but I think I detected a certain yearning for the Beach Club as you sailed by

Love that Ben felt the need to put his full name on his txts-just in case you'd forgotten lol
Old 06-12-2012, 05:47 AM   #92
natebenma
DIS Veteran

The blue crisps- chips- tasted like potato chips. No unusual flavor. I liked them.

I had one at the aiport, took one for the flight (ate it later during the trip), asked for one during the flight with my tomato juice during drink service. I think that is what I requested on the return flight home, too.

I was afraid that the girl was having an allergic reaction to one of the snacks provided, but that turned out not to be the case.

Every time we passed by the BC on the way to a park, I tried to get a glimpse of the resort. The Swalphin is easy to see, but the BC/YC is hidden behind trees. I do get to see my beloved home on the last night of the trip!

Last edited by natebenma; 06-12-2012 at 05:58 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #93
cmcadoo66
Mouseketeer

Wow! What an adventure and all before you had even left the airport!!

Having been on many Girl Scout adventures, I can completely relate to the counting and recounting that you had to do. It does add a lot of stress to the trip but they made the right choice picking you!

No cell phones for 5 days would be amazing! That's why I can't wait for our Fantasy cruise next Christmas (yes, a long time from now ). Okay, so I can't wait for many reasons but my DD not being able to use her cell phone is going to be an added benefit!!

I'm glad the girl was able to continue her trip and that whatever it was that occurred was nothing too serious. Hopefully a rough start would mean smooth sailing the rest of the trip but I have a feeling that is not the case......

Looking forward to the next installment!

Upcoming: Fantasy 12/13
Previous trips: BCR 7/13, POR 4/13, AoA 02/13, POP 01/13, AoA 11/12, POP 10/12, POR 9/12, BCR 8/12, Magic Eastern 11/11, BCR 7/11, CBR 8/09, Pop 7/08, ASM 6/06, Pop 4/05, Pop 4/04
Old 06-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #94
lynn46356
DIS Veteran

Dee, glad it wasn't anyone in your group who needed the EMT attention. I imagine that might have caused some stress on top of the counting! Looking forward to more!!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #95
MHTeacher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post

The other passengers who were not part of our group stayed very far away in another part of the gate area.
Why, I ask you?

I think I remember the few non-school people who were on our flight to DC wanting to stay far away from us too!

That had to be scary for the girl and chaperones. Hope she was ok. Sounds like y'all had a long day--know you were glad to finally make it to the All star sports.

Hold my umbrella while I find your poncho-May 2012 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...64&postcount=1
Disney Dining, DIS Meets, and WAIT-Why is that lady holding onto my husband?May,2010 TR http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=1
DON'T CRY OR WE'LL RIDE DINOSAUR AGAIN! March, 2010 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post35995716
A 16th Birthday/New Years Celebration(with 75000 of our closest friends) Dec. 2009 TR-http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34927152

All Star Sports 2001 Coronado Springs 2003 Wilderness Lodge 2005 Polynesian 2007 POR- 2007 POR 2008 Polynesian 2009 Yacht Club 2009 POR 2010 Beach Club 2010 Polynesian 2012 POP 2013
Old 06-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #96
Couchy
DIS Veteran

I would cry if my flight was delayed for sure casue that would mean less time in WDWb and of course trying to keep teens occupied in an airport

Glad the young lady was able to continue on the trip because that would have been terrible for her if she had to go home !

4 trips as a kid.2002-Westgate, 2004 -Hilton DTD, 2005 -Westgate, 2007 -Royal Sun DTD, 2008 Hilton DTD, April 2011 -Swan, Dec 2011-Dolphin/ Yacht Club , Feb 2012 -Solo@Swan , April 2012-Dolphin with our friends, june/july 2012 - Beach Club
Old 06-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #97
WDW2012
Mouseketeer

You are a brave, brave woman. While I sometimes think it would be cool if my kids went to WDW for a school trip and how I would of course have to chaperone, the logical side of me realizes that it has to be a lot of work and not always fun! Looking forward to reading about your adventures.

'80/'83/'90 off-site; '93 CBR; '96 ASM; '98 Dolphin; '05 off-site; '09 THV; '10 YC; '12 SSR

Old 06-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #98
jakeybake
DIS Veteran

Nothing like a health scare to get the pre-flight nerves going!! Hopefully you got the worst of it out of the way before landing in Orlando.

JetBlue really is the best. I can't imagine any other airline going to such measures to make up for a simple flight delay. I know first hand that Delta doesn't do anything at all.

Looking forward to the next installment! Hopefully you made it over to our beloved BC and said hello to our very most favorite friend in the lobby there!!

Jay
Old 06-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #99
Katesdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeybake View Post
JetBlue really is the best. I can't imagine any other airline going to such measures to make up for a simple flight delay. I know first hand that Delta doesn't do anything at all. Jay
Jay, not that I feel the need to stand up for Delta, but I can personaly attest to their generosity of providing drinks, snacks and headsets to passengers when delays happen (as recently as two months ago in DC to be exact along with other experiences). I am a flight delay expert becuase it seems that if I'm booked on a flght I can guarantee that there will be a delay (maybe that is because I mostly fly Delta and we know they are the experts at delaying passengers). Having to keep three teens occupied was enough for me over the years. Couldn't imagine having to deal with 14.

Keep it coming Dee, waiting for a picture of the All Star resort and Teena the greeter (heard she moved over there).
Old 06-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #100
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcadoo66 View Post
Wow! What an adventure and all before you had even left the airport!!

Having been on many Girl Scout adventures, I can completely relate to the counting and recounting that you had to do. It does add a lot of stress to the trip but they made the right choice picking you!

No cell phones for 5 days would be amazing! That's why I can't wait for our Fantasy cruise next Christmas (yes, a long time from now ). Okay, so I can't wait for many reasons but my DD not being able to use her cell phone is going to be an added benefit!!

I'm glad the girl was able to continue her trip and that whatever it was that occurred was nothing too serious. Hopefully a rough start would mean smooth sailing the rest of the trip but I have a feeling that is not the case......

Looking forward to the next installment!
I do agree that I was the logical choice to be the official pack mule of "Team Dee"

I'm glad the girl could continue the trip. I can't imagine waiting all year for this and then it not be able to go just an hour or two before the classes' departure!

Nate had some cell-free practice back in April while we were at Atlantis. The roaming charges there are obscene so he left his phone behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn46356 View Post
Dee, glad it wasn't anyone in your group who needed the EMT attention. I imagine that might have caused some stress on top of the counting! Looking forward to more!!!!!!!!
Me, too!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHTeacher View Post
Why, I ask you?

I think I remember the few non-school people who were on our flight to DC wanting to stay far away from us too!

That had to be scary for the girl and chaperones. Hope she was ok. Sounds like y'all had a long day--know you were glad to finally make it to the All star sports.
On the way back to Boston, there was a guy sitting in our area of the gate when there were only 1 or 2 teens there. The rest were off getting something to eat. I enjoyed watching him to see how long he would stick it out as more and more boys started to show up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchy View Post
I would cry if my flight was delayed for sure casue that would mean less time in WDWb and of course trying to keep teens occupied in an airport

Glad the young lady was able to continue on the trip because that would have been terrible for her if she had to go home !
I was not happy to be on the later flight to begin with, then I found out that the flight I thought was our flight was the early flight! Getting to Movies at 8:30 was not ideal, but at least we were there.

The class who went earlier had some nice pool time before we arrived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW2012 View Post
You are a brave, brave woman. While I sometimes think it would be cool if my kids went to WDW for a school trip and how I would of course have to chaperone, the logical side of me realizes that it has to be a lot of work and not always fun! Looking forward to reading about your adventures.

Despite all of the headaches and stress, I wouldn't have missed it for the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeybake View Post
Nothing like a health scare to get the pre-flight nerves going!! Hopefully you got the worst of it out of the way before landing in Orlando.

JetBlue really is the best. I can't imagine any other airline going to such measures to make up for a simple flight delay. I know first hand that Delta doesn't do anything at all.

Looking forward to the next installment! Hopefully you made it over to our beloved BC and said hello to our very most favorite friend in the lobby there!!

Jay
Well, let's just say that it was really good that we had nurses along for this trip.

We arrived Monday (after 8:30 PM), and we left on Friday morning so Teena was not working at all while I was in Florida. I didn't really have free time during the trip, so I wasn't able to meet up with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katesdad View Post
Jay, not that I feel the need to stand up for Delta, but I can personaly attest to their generosity of providing drinks, snacks and headsets to passengers when delays happen (as recently as two months ago in DC to be exact along with other experiences). I am a flight delay expert becuase it seems that if I'm booked on a flght I can guarantee that there will be a delay (maybe that is because I mostly fly Delta and we know they are the experts at delaying passengers). Having to keep three teens occupied was enough for me over the years. Couldn't imagine having to deal with 14.

Keep it coming Dee, waiting for a picture of the All Star resort and Teena the greeter (heard she moved over there).
No, she is actually over at Pop. Right, Jay???

Pictures of ASMovies tomorrow.

Last edited by natebenma; 06-12-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #101
Laffites Landing
Mouseketeer

Good one Dee! Glad to see the EMT wasn't something serious! I want drama in this trip, just not like that. I hate to say it but so far, everything has gone so smoothly, it's been kind of boring! (j/k)

I'd like to see pictures of ASM. I doubt I'll ever stay there but I have this idea of the All Star resorts being there huge gaudy places with huge gaudy figures everywhere.

Thanks for sharing so far.

Me (42) DW DS (11) DD(7)
Old 06-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #102
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
Ninja Mom, wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thanks dear!

Dee I think you are doing a great job with the timely updates so thanks a million for keeping me sane as I recover from my surgery. I'm sure Nannette and I would be the worst patients in the hospital ward, banging on the bars, demanding to be set free from our troubles. Your trip reports and the reports from Feckless and Janet sure do put a wag in my tail especially since I'm still having my good moments and rough moments in recovery.

This trip chaperoning business sure has got me thinking. At first glance I think that a Disney trip is something that I would definitely sign up for to be a chaperone. Now I'm not so sure. Intellectually I know that a trip like that would have to be on a whole different set of terms and I wonder if I would have the patience to deal with that. On the other hand I would love to share my knowledge and enjoyment of Disney with kids other than my own, knowing that even though they may not be able to express their appreciation of the experience, I would still be making an impact on them in some small positive way.

You are a saint for taking this on this chaperone responsibility. I love the fact that you are sharing this with us! This just adds a whole new dimension to all those things that make up visiting WDW. I'm sure the insights and adventures you will be sharing in this trip report will be of further benefit to all of us who love WDW.

THANKS!

~NM
Old 06-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #103
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran

I have traveled as a chaperone on several trips and one to Disney when I was in college (but the kids were also older so it was different). I know it can be stressful but you did great!

I think the no electronics rule for the kids is great! I don't know if I could do 5 days though so I am glad you could stay connected, even without alcohol!

Glad the girl was OK. On a Disneyland trip in high school we had a girl have a medical emergency on the flight. Turned out to be dehydration too but it did get us priority landing on a day when most planes were circling the airport waiting!
Old 06-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #104
JanetMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom View Post
Thanks dear!

Dee I think you are doing a great job with the timely updates so thanks a million for keeping me sane as I recover from my surgery. I'm sure Nannette and I would be the worst patients in the hospital ward, banging on the bars, demanding to be set free from our troubles. Your trip reports and the reports from Feckless and Janet sure do put a wag in my tail especially since I'm still having my good moments and rough moments in recovery.

This trip chaperoning business sure has got me thinking. At first glance I think that a Disney trip is something that I would definitely sign up for to be a chaperone. Now I'm not so sure. Intellectually I know that a trip like that would have to be on a whole different set of terms and I wonder if I would have the patience to deal with that. On the other hand I would love to share my knowledge and enjoyment of Disney with kids other than my own, knowing that even though they may not be able to express their appreciation of the experience, I would still be making an impact on them in some small positive way.

You are a saint for taking this on this chaperone responsibility. I love the fact that you are sharing this with us! This just adds a whole new dimension to all those things that make up visiting WDW. I'm sure the insights and adventures you will be sharing in this trip report will be of further benefit to all of us who love WDW.

THANKS!

~NM
Awww. And the Nicest Post Ever award goes to... NinjaMom!

Dee - I agree with everything Ninja said. You are a saint for taking on this role, and we love you for sharing it with us.

NinjaMom - hope you get a bit better each day (you too Nan!)

Trip Report - March Break 2012 at the YC http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post44422655
Trip Report - March Break 2010 at CR – with stops at Poly, GF, WL, BW, BC, YC, MK, Epcot, HS, DD, and TL http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post35923604
Trip Report - Solo trip - A brief stay at CSR with a stop at AKL (with pics!) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36750372

FW - 1972 (I think, I was little then!); WL - 2004; WL CL - 2007; CR CL - 2010; CSR - 2010; YC CL - 2012
Old 06-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #105
BLTtinkerbell
DIS Veteran

This would be me, if I had to be "keeper of all things" I couldn't take that stress!

Glad the girl was ok and hopefully there were no more medical issues.

Funny that your son included his last name! Maybe he thought you might forget him!

Enjoying your trip report and looking forward to reading more.....

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: