Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #931
333disneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma

I was experiencing a serious case of "Planner's Pout" on this trip. As much as I tried not to picture how the trip should go, it is an occupational hazard of a Disney Commando.
I think one of the toughest parts of any trip where you travel with people who are not family, is expectations. You always have an idea of how you want it to go, and the more people you travel with, the tougher it is to live up to those expectations/goals. Sounds like you did a great job being flexible with the groups' plans, while trying to bring your expertise to the groups' planning.

Quote:
The dining area at Flame Tree is beautiful!
Love Flame Tree's seating area, but the last trip we avoided it because of the birds. My family does not find it relaxing to try and dine while birds are pacing behind and beside you. Not sure if you had that problem, but we have always found the birds too close for comfort.

Quote:
The chocolate mousse was ok, but from reports I have read here, and from what I recall from our meal in 2008, the Key lime dessert is nasty.
The Key lime dessert is indeed nasty.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #932
luvpoohandcompany
DIS Veteran

Loving the view from your table Dee Such a shame the food wasnt up to standard! We ate at Yak and Yeti in july and really enjoyed our meal-even my fussy boys were happy. We had sweet and sour chicken and honey chicken. The boys got fries as usualtoo (you know just for a change) The fried rice was a really tasty snack too
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #933
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Well I know the others didn't have a great view like you did!
We usually have lunch there. I like the pork sandwich.
I probably would have been aggrivated too.
Don't you wish it would have rained?? Well maybe not on Nate.
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
Old 09-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #934
Pastina Noodle
Earning My Ears

Sounds like somebody needed a nap.... or in your case a giant coffee! Working with kids is tough, let me tell you. At least your group wasn't jumping on you and whacking each other like us noodles have to put up with.

I can't wait for the next installment of your report!

Fondly, Pastina
Old 09-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #935
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333disneymom View Post
I think one of the toughest parts of any trip where you travel with people who are not family, is expectations. You always have an idea of how you want it to go, and the more people you travel with, the tougher it is to live up to those expectations/goals. Sounds like you did a great job being flexible with the groups' plans, while trying to bring your expertise to the groups' planning.
I agree. I had an idea in my mind about how the trip would be. I knew it would be different pace from what I am used to with my family. I just didn't know how different everyone's style would be.

Quote:
Love Flame Tree's seating area, but the last trip we avoided it because of the birds. My family does not find it relaxing to try and dine while birds are pacing behind and beside you. Not sure if you had that problem, but we have always found the birds too close for comfort.
I saw some of the birds, but they weren't bothering us or begging for food. That does not make for an enjoyable dining experience!

Quote:
The Key lime dessert is indeed nasty.
Glad I didn't make that mistake, at least!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvpoohandcompany View Post
Loving the view from your table Dee Such a shame the food wasnt up to standard! We ate at Yak and Yeti in july and really enjoyed our meal-even my fussy boys were happy. We had sweet and sour chicken and honey chicken. The boys got fries as usualtoo (you know just for a change) The fried rice was a really tasty snack too
I loved the view, too! I was WOWed, even if nobody else was impressed!

Ben would love Yak & Yeti. We may try it on one of our trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddluvsdisney View Post
Well I know the others didn't have a great view like you did!
We usually have lunch there. I like the pork sandwich.
I probably would have been aggrivated too.
Don't you wish it would have rained?? Well maybe not on Nate.
No, it would have been ok if Nate got wet!

Once again, it was about the boys just wanting to hang out together, not really caring what was going on around them. Who cares that you can see Everest while you are eating BBQ? I'm sitting with my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastina Noodle View Post
Sounds like somebody needed a nap.... or in your case a giant coffee! Working with kids is tough, let me tell you. At least your group wasn't jumping on you and whacking each other like us noodles have to put up with.

I can't wait for the next installment of your report!

Fondly, Pastina
A giant coffee wouldn't have hurt!

You know, just when I think I have it tough, stories like yours about the tribulations in your life really bring it home. I can't imagine what it would be like walking a mile in your... um.. shoes? flippers?

Last edited by natebenma; 09-27-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #936
AnjieNet
DIS Veteran

Your Kali photos make me want to get a waterproof camera. I always get the pulled pork sandwich from Flame Tree. It's very good. DD is insisting on a Mac & Cheese Hot Dog from Restaurantosaurus this trip though. Does Flat Ben take his M&C Hot Dog with or without ketchup?
Old 09-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #937
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnjieNet View Post
Your Kali photos make me want to get a waterproof camera. I always get the pulled pork sandwich from Flame Tree. It's very good. DD is insisting on a Mac & Cheese Hot Dog from Restaurantosaurus this trip though. Does Flat Ben take his M&C Hot Dog with or without ketchup?
Thanks! I can't imagine not having the waterproof camera. We do a lot of snorkeling, and I love taking pictures underwater. I also like that I never have to leave the camera behind when I go into the ocean or on a water ride. Or get caught in the rain (spoiler alert- that comes up soon in the TR)

I seriously considered getting the pulled pork sandwich. I believe I chose poorly!

Just checked with real Ben- he says without. He doesn't usually put ketchup on his regular hot dogs, so he will take his plain. So I think I promised to get FB out to you this week, but it has been a busy one. But I know you are headed out toward the end of Oct, so I will get moving on that.

In other Flat Ben news- he is currently on an adventure with KatinGA and her DH on an anniversary trip, along with the flat versions of their two daughters. He was also in the world last week with Cindydare and family, and we will probably be seeing those pictures in a few days!
Old 09-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #938
natebenma
DIS Veteran

After our lunch, we headed toward Dinoland USA. Finding Nemo was starting in about 10 minutes, so I asked if any of the kids wanted to see the show. No takers. We all went to ride Dinosaur. Very short line, we were probably through the queue and boarding our time rovers in about 10 minutes.

I rode with one boy from our group. Everyone else must have been ahead or behind us.

I mentioned earlier in my report that on the way to the AK bus that morning, I caught up with Nate and a friend of his, and told him at some point during the day I would like a picture of the two of us together. Nate scowled, looked at me and said “No”.

I told him that I’m serious, I want one picture.

We had just exited the Dinosaur ride and we were waiting around, probably for kids in the bathroom, so I thought it would be a good time to take the picture since we were not doing anything at the time. I called Nate over, he stood next to me and I handed my camera over to someone.

As the photo was taken, the boy who was with Nate this morning during our talk photobombed our picture.

We took another- a different kid came up behind us.

At this point, Nate was done and I don’t blame him.

I am not a confrontational person, but this upset me so much that I decided to talk to each boy. I told the second photobomber I didn’t find his actions amusing or respectful. He apologized.

I found Nate’s friend and took him aside and told him the same thing, reminding him that he was there when I told Nate this was really important to me. I said that all of us were working really hard to make sure the kids had a great trip and this was the one thing I had asked for, and now because of what he did, I didn’t have a photo with Nate.

I asked him if he understood why I was upset and he said "Yes".

I asked him if he had anything else to say and he said "No".

I went behind a pole at Primeval Whirl and lost it.

I am not one who cries very often, but the stress of the past few days, lack of sleep, weight of responsibility I felt all came crashing down on me.

Although I tried to keep to myself, a couple of my fellow chaperones came by to see what was wrong, but I wasn’t really able to talk about it. I said it was ok, not anything that was a major issue, and I would be fine. A few minutes later, Nate found me and asked me what was wrong. I told him one of the kids upset me, it wasn’t him and he gave me a little hug and left me.

Eventually one of the chaperones came to talk to me and I was able to tell her what happened.

Once I had calmed down and could face everybody, either Nate or the chaperone suggested another picture. I was skeptical how I would look with red puffy eyes, but I wasn’t going to pass up the opportunity. These are the pictures we ended up with.

No, it is not the picture I posted at the beginning of the report. That was the second photobombed picture, with the boy cropped out. Apparently, he was not as “in” my photo as I believed.

So now I am going to repost the comments that Disneymomx7, Janetmom and bookgirl made about the photo I included at the beginning of my report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomx7 View Post
Do I detect a little gritting of the teeth in your photo. Believe me I recognize that look all too well!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMom View Post
Love the pic you chose. For you it seems to say "I'm in for Disney, but I'm worried they won't do it right, how can I improve things, I wonder if I can just manage to..." Nate of course is saying "hurry up, I don't want to have my picture taken standing beside my mom"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl View Post

Love the title Dee!

Also cracking up at the Picture. I swear you can see the words in the bubble.

Mom, my friends are watching don't make me have to have photographic proof that you were here and we're related.

Quiet kid and take the picture, you owe me for labor, vacations, and the fact that I am living through your teenage drama without a Grey Goose Slushie..I want proof that I didn't lock you down in a buggy at Nemo and Friends"

J/K...I know from your trips that the boys are sweet and you guys get along great.

I'm hitting the I don't know you/ I'm tolerating your presence for the slushie money age with my nephews. The little boys who used to act out the storming of Omaha Beach just so they could snuggle up against me within 3 seconds of me sitting down, now give me the death stare if I so much as look like I might reach out to pat thier shoulder. Teenagers suck!

Wait a minute is that an old picture....I swear I see a thumb splint....didn't he get rid of that.

Kudos for your powers of observation, ladies!

And, bookgirl- the splint is gone again! He took it off a day or two before he entered high school and I have high hopes that we have seen the last of it!

Last edited by natebenma; 10-04-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #939
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Oh Dee! I'm sorry you reached the breaking point. Teens! Did your son actually crack a smile in the last photo? Awww.. so glad that you finally got your photo.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #940
Queila
DIS Veteran

Oh Dee... I am so sorry you were brought to tears. I can certainly understand how upsetting that would be. I think I would cry too.

It is so hard when something does not live to our expectations and I can only imagine how much you wished you were there with your husband and kids only.

I think you are a hero for putting a brave smile and carrying on.

Q
Old 09-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #941
MEK
DIS Veteran

Oh Dee - I don't blame you for getting frustrated. All your hard work and all you wanted was a picture with your son. I would have reacted the same way.

Despite getting photobombed, I think you did a great job cropping.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 09-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #942
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

I so understand your frustration and have only done day trips. Can't imagine how stressed you actually were. Glad Nate did finally pose for a nice pic.
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014
Old 09-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #943
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Oh Dee! I'm so sorry that the boys messed up the pictures that you were trying to have taken of you and Nate. Coming from someone who broke down on the last night of the cruise, you know that I can understand how you were feeling. You ask for one gosh darn thing and then it gets ruined through no fault of your own. I commend Nate for seeking you out and agreeing to take more pictures.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 09-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #945
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Thanks, everyone!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Oh Dee! I'm sorry you reached the breaking point. Teens! Did your son actually crack a smile in the last photo? Awww.. so glad that you finally got your photo.
This certainly was the low point of the trip for me.

But yes, Nate does actually appear to be smiling in that second photo in front of Primevil Whirl. And he had given me a little hug, too. Unprecedented!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queila View Post
Oh Dee... I am so sorry you were brought to tears. I can certainly understand how upsetting that would be. I think I would cry too.

It is so hard when something does not live to our expectations and I can only imagine how much you wished you were there with your husband and kids only.

I think you are a hero for putting a brave smile and carrying on.

Q
It was really a shame that the incident happened. I was mostly pleased with the behaviour of all of the boys in our group, and up to this point I had told the other chaperones, and teachers, and administrators that but this put a damper on my outlook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Oh Dee - I don't blame you for getting frustrated. All your hard work and all you wanted was a picture with your son. I would have reacted the same way.

Despite getting photobombed, I think you did a great job cropping.
I gave Nate freedom during the trip, I treated the kids with respect and seriously, I ask for ONE thing...

I knew the second kid had photobombed, but I didn't realize that whoever had snapped the picture took one before he was behind us. Thus, I was able to crop that picture.

I haven't looked too closely at the two pictures of us at Primevil Whirl, but from a distance the pictures are not too bad considering I was bawling right before they were taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmskinner View Post
I so understand your frustration and have only done day trips. Can't imagine how stressed you actually were. Glad Nate did finally pose for a nice pic.
I think Nate was really freaked out seeing me in tears. I'm sure he has only seen me cry a few times, so he knew it was a big deal. I suspect the chaperone talked to him, but I never asked either one what she said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Oh Dee! I'm so sorry that the boys messed up the pictures that you were trying to have taken of you and Nate. Coming from someone who broke down on the last night of the cruise, you know that I can understand how you were feeling. You ask for one gosh darn thing and then it gets ruined through no fault of your own. I commend Nate for seeking you out and agreeing to take more pictures.
I learned, like you, that your emotions can go on super-high hair trigger setting when you are on a trip. Sometimes it seems like so much is at stake. A lack of sleep doesn't help the situation any!

But I think I have said it before- trips like this are like childbirth. You forget about all the pain and trouble and then you go and decide to do it all again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Oh Dee!!!

I could strangle those boys for you, Nate too.

So very sorry and so very understandable that you lost it.
You know, the thing that really bothered me was that the boy did not say he was sorry. Boys will be be boys, and what he did wasn't really meant to be disrespectful (I think), but when I told him that it upset me, I expected an apology.

Fortunately, there was just another half day of the trip and then travel time, so I knew, appropriately enough, that:

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: