Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #916
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Flare Up at Flame Tree

Flashback:

Prior to this trip, I had only been to the Flame Tree once. The experience wasn’t great, but again, it had more to do with my family than the restaurant itself. From reviews on the DIS, I knew I wanted to try it out.

Unfortunately, I didn’t pay attention to exactly where the restaurant was located. I thought it was in Africa. So after a long, hot walk from Asia to Africa, not finding the place we were looking for, we finally consulted a map and discovered that the Flame Tree was on Discovery Island.

Everyone was pretty grumpy at this point. Nate was an extremely picky eater at the time, and the only thing that appealed to him was fruit. I don’t even remember what the rest of us ordered.

On subsequent trips, my family has dined at Tamu Tamu (aka “The Restaurant that Guests forgot” since nobody ever talks about the place).

I was excited to try out the Flame Tree again. I knew that there was seating that overlooked Everest. How cool is that? Teens love BBQ. What could go wrong???

There was a fairly long line for placing lunch orders. I told one of the other chaperones exactly what I wanted, I grabbed everybody’s bags and backpacks and I reserved tables by the water with an incredible view. An added bonus was that the space was covered, and the sky was looking dark, so I was very pleased with our spot.

One of the issues with the location was to that our seats were to the right and down a set of stairs, so I was afraid that the first few people in our group wouldn’t be able to find me, and I didn’t really want to leave our stuff unattended. Finally, after a long while, I saw a couple of kids in our group and I directed them to our area. Then I went to alert the others where to find us.

On the way, I saw a couple of subgroups of our group sitting elsewhere. I told them that I had seating for everyone in another area, but they refused to move and join us. My son was in one of these groups.

Once again, I was getting agitated that we were all separated. Granted, we were all at the same restaurant, but the seating areas are on different levels and it was impossible to see the others from where we were.

A minor flare-up, mostly internal on my part, but that perhaps is the worst kind of all.

I heard rumbles of thunder in the distance and that just intensified my frustration that the others weren’t listening to me.

Let it rain on them! Serves them right!

But the rain didn’t come.

How was the food?

So-so. I debated between the ribs and the pulled pork sandwich. The ribs were really fatty and the portion was too big. I hate leaving food behind, I am a compulsive finisher, but I did have ribs leftover. The ice in my ice tea had melted by the time I started drinking. The beans and coleslaw were fine, I think. The chocolate mousse was good, but a little melty when it was time for dessert.

Overall, another meal that did not live up to my expectations.

But my view, however, was spectacular!

Next up: A Teen Reduces Me To Tears

Last edited by natebenma; 09-24-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #917
333disneymom
DIS Veteran

Great pics again! I would be really frustrated with the seating situation too. I hope the teen that reduces you to tears is not your son.
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #918
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

I've been in that situation as a chaperone where one group sits separately from the rest. I was frustrated too.

I've eaten at Flame Tree, but I never saw that pool of water, love those pics!

And I think you sat where we did because I remember being covered and having that view of EE.
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013, GF Sept 2014

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014

Minions take over the MK and cause havoc at Gringott's
Old 09-24-2012, 06:44 AM   #919
JanetMom
DIS Veteran

Beautiful pics of your seating view.

I think the experience didn't stand a chance once you had to break out the map to find the place. With teens, you make one false move and everything after can be doomed.

The meal looked good. It is always frustrating when ribs don't live up to how good they look. Beans however, are always reliable. (I'm sure there is a joke to be inserted here, but it is too early in the morning to come up with one.)

Trip Report - Dining with Disers 2014
Trip Report - March Break 2012 at the YC http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post44422655
Trip Report - March Break 2010 at CR – with stops at Poly, GF, WL, BW, BC, YC, MK, Epcot, HS, DD, and TL http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post35923604
Trip Report - Solo trip - A brief stay at CSR with a stop at AKL (with pics!) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36750372

FW - 1972 (I think, I was little then!); WL - 2004; WL CL - 2007; CR CL - 2010; CSR - 2010; YC CL - 2012; BC - 2014
Old 09-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #920
MEK
DIS Veteran

I think its hard to get good ribs. Sorry that weren't all that great. It's been years since I've eaten there, mostly because its always hot when I visit Disney world and I ate to eat outside in the heat (yet we did in June, go figure).

I had no idea you could find tables with such a remarkable view of Everest (probably because the last time I ate there was pre-Everest ). You got some great pictures and now I want to visit, if for no other reason than to take pictures.

Don't blame you for getting frustrated when you tried so hard to get good seating and the kids go and do their own thing. ugh!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 09-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #921
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

All caught up again! I cannot even begin to imagine how frustrating it would be to try to lead such a large group (of mostly teenagers)! I think you should have jumped back on a plane to Orlando when you made it back home!

Anxious to hear the story behind what reduces you to tears... and a bit surprised it took this long!
Old 09-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #922
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Wow! Dee! You were able to snag some really good seats at Flame Tree BBQ. Too bad some of the folks decided to sit in other areas and tht it was a little stressful for you. I think it's the mother hen in us wanting to make sure that all of our chicks are gathered around.

It's been a while since we've eaten at Flame Tree. It's not because it isn't good food, it's because I can't make myself eat a hot meal out in the heat. I need air conditioning!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 09-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #923
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

I've never eaten at Flame Tree because my family doesn't eat pork and that seems like the best stuff on the menu (although not based on your report!).
Sorry it was yet another frustrating experience for you.

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
Old 09-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #924
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Ugh, that stresses me out when folks get spread out like that and have differing agendas. I really liked the food there but it was HUGE. Bummer that they were too fatty. I agree on the portion size, ridiculously huge. Although for once Jeff didn't complain about it being too small.

Pretty spot for lunch though!
Old 09-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #925
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333disneymom View Post
Great pics again! I would be really frustrated with the seating situation too. I hope the teen that reduces you to tears is not your son.
You will be relieved to know that it was not my son who was the source of my waterworks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmskinner View Post
I've been in that situation as a chaperone where one group sits separately from the rest. I was frustrated too.

I've eaten at Flame Tree, but I never saw that pool of water, love those pics!

And I think you sat where we did because I remember being covered and having that view of EE.
I love the seating at the Flame Tree. So peaceful and zen. Or at least it should have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMom View Post
Beautiful pics of your seating view.

I think the experience didn't stand a chance once you had to break out the map to find the place. With teens, you make one false move and everything after can be doomed.

The meal looked good. It is always frustrating when ribs don't live up to how good they look. Beans however, are always reliable. (I'm sure there is a joke to be inserted here, but it is too early in the morning to come up with one.)
The view was the best part of the lunch. The food was good. Not great, but good.

Maybe we could work in a joke using my title (Flare up at Flame Tree), incorporating the beans, but then again, maybe we shouldn't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I think its hard to get good ribs. Sorry that weren't all that great. It's been years since I've eaten there, mostly because its always hot when I visit Disney world and I ate to eat outside in the heat (yet we did in June, go figure).

I had no idea you could find tables with such a remarkable view of Everest (probably because the last time I ate there was pre-Everest ). You got some great pictures and now I want to visit, if for no other reason than to take pictures.

Don't blame you for getting frustrated when you tried so hard to get good seating and the kids go and do their own thing. ugh!
It really was hot, even under the protective covering! Definitely did not make the meal appetizing.

The view from our tables was awesome! Too bad not everyone in our group enjoyed it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
All caught up again! I cannot even begin to imagine how frustrating it would be to try to lead such a large group (of mostly teenagers)! I think you should have jumped back on a plane to Orlando when you made it back home!

Anxious to hear the story behind what reduces you to tears... and a bit surprised it took this long!
Now there's a great suggestion!!! I did feel like a do over was in order.

Your comment about it taking so long for the crying to start made me laugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Wow! Dee! You were able to snag some really good seats at Flame Tree BBQ. Too bad some of the folks decided to sit in other areas and tht it was a little stressful for you. I think it's the mother hen in us wanting to make sure that all of our chicks are gathered around.

It's been a while since we've eaten at Flame Tree. It's not because it isn't good food, it's because I can't make myself eat a hot meal out in the heat. I need air conditioning!
I was very proud of myself for getting those great seats and I was excited to share them with everyone. Which turned out to be about half of our group.

Apparently, I have been taking this whole "chaperoning" thing a bit too seriously.

I was hoping I was going to have a really spectacular meal that would redeem the restaurant for us, but that wasn't the case. I thik we will stick with Tamu Tamu in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
I've never eaten at Flame Tree because my family doesn't eat pork and that seems like the best stuff on the menu (although not based on your report!).
Sorry it was yet another frustrating experience for you.

Amanda
Is there someplace you usually eat at in AK? I know Tom prefers sit down places to quick service in most cases.

The menu at Flame Tree is mostly pork. There is a roast chicken, but again, not a light meal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Ugh, that stresses me out when folks get spread out like that and have differing agendas. I really liked the food there but it was HUGE. Bummer that they were too fatty. I agree on the portion size, ridiculously huge. Although for once Jeff didn't complain about it being too small.

Pretty spot for lunch though!
The seating we had at the Flame Tree is probably the best view while dining in the park. This would be a great place to share a meal! Since my stomach was in knots from all of the stress, it really added to my inability to finish my meal.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #926
MHTeacher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
[SIZE="3"] What could go wrong???
I (correctly) sensed some foreshadowing here! It's so frustrating when things don't go the way we have them worked out in our head.

You did get some great pics of EE though. It's a really pretty dining area!

Hold my umbrella while I find your poncho-May 2012 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...64&postcount=1
Disney Dining, DIS Meets, and WAIT-Why is that lady holding onto my husband?May,2010 TR http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=1
DON'T CRY OR WE'LL RIDE DINOSAUR AGAIN! March, 2010 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post35995716
A 16th Birthday/New Years Celebration(with 75000 of our closest friends) Dec. 2009 TR-http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34927152

All Star Sports 2001 Coronado Springs 2003 Wilderness Lodge 2005 Polynesian 2007 POR- 2007 POR 2008 Polynesian 2009 Yacht Club 2009 POR 2010 Beach Club 2010 Polynesian 2012 POP 2013
Old 09-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #927
Queila
DIS Veteran

Oh Dee... I am sorry Flame Tree did not leave up to your expectations. I love ribs so I never have left overs when I go there. And the fact that they are fatty only add to my "Disney indulgence. One thing I learned is NOT to book a table service meal on AK day. I am never hungry at night after eating Flame Tree for lunch.

I doNt care about their dessert either. On our most recent trip we got stopped at the exit of AK and asked to fill up a survey about the food we had eaten that day. Our only complaint: Flame Tree needs decent desserts.

Can't wait to read more.
Q
Old 09-25-2012, 02:17 AM   #928
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Loved your comment Dee - let it rain on them! Sorry the ribs disappointed. The last time we got ribs there they were a bit on the fatty side as well... hmmm. Oh, and we sat exactly where you had saved tables. I think it is the farthest eating area for the place but what a view!

I'm already hoping the next installment turned out different...
Old 09-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #929
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

This last trip we ate at Pizzafari. I know it gets its share of criticism but I like it. Plenty of indoor seating. Bright colors. I had a really yummy sandwich there.
We've eaten at Rainforest plenty of times, too. The kids menu is extensive and the salads are huge and good.

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
Old 09-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #930
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHTeacher View Post
I (correctly) sensed some foreshadowing here! It's so frustrating when things don't go the way we have them worked out in our head.

You did get some great pics of EE though. It's a really pretty dining area!
I was experiencing a serious case of "Planner's Pout" on this trip. As much as I tried not to picture how the trip should go, it is an occupational hazard of a Disney Commando.

The dining area at Flame Tree is beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queila View Post
Oh Dee... I am sorry Flame Tree did not leave up to your expectations. I love ribs so I never have left overs when I go there. And the fact that they are fatty only add to my "Disney indulgence. One thing I learned is NOT to book a table service meal on AK day. I am never hungry at night after eating Flame Tree for lunch.

I doNt care about their dessert either. On our most recent trip we got stopped at the exit of AK and asked to fill up a survey about the food we had eaten that day. Our only complaint: Flame Tree needs decent desserts.

Can't wait to read more.
Q
I was really hoping I would like Flame Tree, but I'm not sure if I will be able to lure my family to Flame Tree on future trips based on my review.

The chocolate mousse was ok, but from reports I have read here, and from what I recall from our meal in 2008, the Key lime dessert is nasty.

We enjoy Tamu Tamu-they have yummy flatbread sandwiches (tuna, turkey) and my boys get burgers I think. You can get a milkshake for dessert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Loved your comment Dee - let it rain on them! Sorry the ribs disappointed. The last time we got ribs there they were a bit on the fatty side as well... hmmm. Oh, and we sat exactly where you had saved tables. I think it is the farthest eating area for the place but what a view!

I'm already hoping the next installment turned out different...
Yeah, things are starting to quickly unravel at this point. I am an extremely tolerant, patient person, but the early mornings and late nights were starting to catch up with everyone.

The amazing view of EE is not quite enough of a tipping point for me to encourage a return to the restaurant. I think Nate had a good meal, though. I believe he ordered the pulled pork sandwich and enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
This last trip we ate at Pizzafari. I know it gets its share of criticism but I like it. Plenty of indoor seating. Bright colors. I had a really yummy sandwich there.
We've eaten at Rainforest plenty of times, too. The kids menu is extensive and the salads are huge and good.

Amanda
We haven't been to Pizzafari or Restaurantasaurus. Haven't tried the Yak & Yeti Counter Service either. At least there are a lot of choices. Nate is the only fussy eater in our crew, and he is really starting to come around and expand his palate, so we don't have trouble finding something we like wherever we end up.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: