Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #76
jenneth79
DIS Veteran

I'm a late arrival to the party, but hey Dee, really looking forward to reading all about this one!

I'm 100% with you regarding counting things over and over to make sure they are all there. My DH sometimes makes fun of me over it, but we haven't lost any important paperwork (yet)!

Got me worried about that EMT comment......
Old 06-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #77
jakeybake
DIS Veteran

Hey Dee!!

I'm subscribing! I need something to tie me over until my BC trip in August!!

Looking forward to reading up!!

Jay
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #78
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Wow no electronics for 5 days!
My DS15 wouldn't make it. I would love to see him do that though!
Is the DDP different for the YES program? The DDP should just include every restaurant if you ask me.
Keeping track of that many kids even w/ 6 adults must be stressful
It must have been nice having someone else that's in the know. At least you didn't have to do it ALL yourself
Can't wait to hear MORE!!!!
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
Old 06-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #79
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15isto2 View Post
No electronics for 5 days.... is that legal????
Fortunately, the prohibition on electronics applied only to the students!

I was still able to text and surf away!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenneth79 View Post
I'm a late arrival to the party, but hey Dee, really looking forward to reading all about this one!

I'm 100% with you regarding counting things over and over to make sure they are all there. My DH sometimes makes fun of me over it, but we haven't lost any important paperwork (yet)!

Got me worried about that EMT comment......
Counting. Counting. Counting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeybake View Post
Hey Dee!!

I'm subscribing! I need something to tie me over until my BC trip in August!!

Looking forward to reading up!!

Jay

Glad to have you here! Looking at my chapters, it really could take me until August to write this report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddluvsdisney View Post
Wow no electronics for 5 days!
My DS15 wouldn't make it. I would love to see him do that though!
Is the DDP different for the YES program? The DDP should just include every restaurant if you ask me.
Keeping track of that many kids even w/ 6 adults must be stressful
It must have been nice having someone else that's in the know. At least you didn't have to do it ALL yourself
Can't wait to hear MORE!!!!
The kids did really well not hooked up to their devices! Never heard one complaint. They were probably too tired!

It really, truly was stressful to have a group that large, even though they were good kids. Yes, it was nice to have someone to bounce ideas off of, even if we didn't always agree.

The coupons were similar to the QS dining choices- you get an entree, drink and dessert for one coupon. I didn't see any restrictions on what we could order. I wanted to try out the lobster roll at Columbia Harbor House, but we didn't dine there.

Not many of the countries in EPCOT took the coupons. So that is different from the dining plan.

Last edited by natebenma; 06-11-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #80
Feckless
DIS Veteran

I think the no electronics rule was awesome! I can totally imagine why they did that.

I'm in awe of you keeping track of all that stuff. It would be enough to drive me to the brink! I was stressed enough with my two and their KTTW cards, gift cards and arcade cards.

Looking forward to the next installment!

Latest TR in progress: FROM SUNSTROKE TO A CONCUSSION: a Yacht Club Disney "Trip" to Remember http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post50508748

SMILES, SAND AND SUNSTROKE: A May 2012 Beach Club Trip of a Lifetime! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2927334

First Pre-Trip Report: From the North Atlantic to the World http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post43102751
Old 06-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #81
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

First of all, thanks so much for the plug for my backsacks. It's good to see that your bag has made it through yet another one of your trips. It's a well traveled bag isn't it?

Second, just looking at that stack of vouchers makes me do one of these . I agree with another poster, I stress out over keeping up with just our group's stuf so I would be super duper stressing if I had been you. But, I'm betting that you were a great choice to be the "Keeper of the Vouchers".

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 06-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #82
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom View Post
Just started back on the boards while im recovering from surgery. This is just the medicine I need. I can't wait to read about the trip!
Ninja Mom, wishing you a speedy recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
welcome back, you survive! I can't believe how tall he is!!!

Some interesting chapter titles there my friend, this should be interesting to say the least. All I know is you are a brave brave soul, I can barely survive living with one middle schooler.
Hi Cynthia! Just had to let you know how invaluable your trip report continues to be for our Alaska cruise in August! I sometimes think of posting a question, and then just refer back to your trip report for advice. (Questions like, "What kind of pants should we bring/buy?") Since our older two boys will be 12 and 13 on the cruise, your report is so helpful. Dee, sorry for the OT post - back to the regularly scheduled trip report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
:
My project was a yellow sundress, oh so many years ago.
Dee, I see your yellow sundress, and I raise you an ice cream sundae shaped throw pillow! OK, I'm developing a more realistic view of a class trip to Disney! The lack of predictability is already making me nervous! EMT???? I'm REALLY interested to know how you felt about it in the end. But I know I'll have to wait and read on . . .
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

August 2014: Last Minute WDW (ASMu)
January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL, GF, BWI!)
August 2015: DL Half Marathon!
Old 06-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #83
MHTeacher
DIS Veteran

First, I am cracking up at the pillowcase. Typical boy--He just grabbed two fabrics and got it done!

I was the teacher chaperone during our eighth grades trip last October to Washington, DC. I applaud y'all for not allowing cell phones, etc. I'm amazed that the kids could go that long without their electronics! I understand the stress of being "in charge" of the vouchers/tickets, etc during the trip. But I'm sure you handled it with no problems.

Hold my umbrella while I find your poncho-May 2012 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...64&postcount=1
Disney Dining, DIS Meets, and WAIT-Why is that lady holding onto my husband?May,2010 TR http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=1
DON'T CRY OR WE'LL RIDE DINOSAUR AGAIN! March, 2010 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post35995716
A 16th Birthday/New Years Celebration(with 75000 of our closest friends) Dec. 2009 TR-http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34927152

All Star Sports 2001 Coronado Springs 2003 Wilderness Lodge 2005 Polynesian 2007 POR- 2007 POR 2008 Polynesian 2009 Yacht Club 2009 POR 2010 Beach Club 2010 Polynesian 2012 POP 2013
Old 06-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #84
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feckless View Post
I think the no electronics rule was awesome! I can totally imagine why they did that.

I'm in awe of you keeping track of all that stuff. It would be enough to drive me to the brink! I was stressed enough with my two and their KTTW cards, gift cards and arcade cards.

Looking forward to the next installment!
The no (web-based) electronics was a safety feature. We had no control of the students when they were in their rooms and we didn't want them off roaming the web out of our sight.

They all did fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
First of all, thanks so much for the plug for my backsacks. It's good to see that your bag has made it through yet another one of your trips. It's a well traveled bag isn't it?

Second, just looking at that stack of vouchers makes me do one of these . I agree with another poster, I stress out over keeping up with just our group's stuf so I would be super duper stressing if I had been you. But, I'm betting that you were a great choice to be the "Keeper of the Vouchers".
Glad I could give your backsacks a shoutout! One of my DIS friends (Janetmom) actually mentions my "travel light with a backsack to avoid bag check lines" tip in her trip report.

I did have a minor malfunction. Bag was overloaded and somehow the knot came out of the grommit. I didn't notice what the issue was until I got home, but it was easy peasy to fix. Even I could figure it out myself!

Maybe the students should all make backsacks in Life Skills class- something useful!

Yes, I was the right choice as "Keeper of the Stuff", but it came at a price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
Ninja Mom, wishing you a speedy recovery.

Hi Cynthia! Just had to let you know how invaluable your trip report continues to be for our Alaska cruise in August! I sometimes think of posting a question, and then just refer back to your trip report for advice. (Questions like, "What kind of pants should we bring/buy?") Since our older two boys will be 12 and 13 on the cruise, your report is so helpful. Dee, sorry for the OT post - back to the regularly scheduled trip report!

Dee, I see your yellow sundress, and I raise you an ice cream sundae shaped throw pillow! OK, I'm developing a more realistic view of a class trip to Disney! The lack of predictability is already making me nervous! EMT???? I'm REALLY interested to know how you felt about it in the end. But I know I'll have to wait and read on . . .
Hijack away on my thread! I love Cynthia's reports too and find them very informative!!!

Oh, I am picturing the pillow!

This trip was definitely Disney Done Differently!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHTeacher View Post
First, I am cracking up at the pillowcase. Typical boy--He just grabbed two fabrics and got it done!

I was the teacher chaperone during our eighth grades trip last October to Washington, DC. I applaud y'all for not allowing cell phones, etc. I'm amazed that the kids could go that long without their electronics! I understand the stress of being "in charge" of the vouchers/tickets, etc during the trip. But I'm sure you handled it with no problems.
I don't know if I would say there were no problems. I didn't lose anything important- except my mind!

Old 06-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #85
HockeyMomR
DIS Veteran

The responsibility of that packet is making me nervous just reading about it! I am the planner but DH has always been our holder of the tickets when the kids were younger. So you are better person than me!

* 01/01 - BC * 11/01 - BC * 04/03 - BC * 04/04 - YC * 03/05 AKL / BC * 05/06 - AKL/Poly * 07/07-WL/YC/GF *
*01/08 (mother/daughter trip)-POR*08/08-YC*4/09 (ladies trip)-Dolphin*07/10-BC*9/13-YC*4/14-WL*8/14 BC*
Old 06-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #86
Laffites Landing
Mouseketeer

Dee:

Just loving the report so far! I agree with other posters. No electronics for FIVE days!!! Can you say a denial of Constitutional Rights?? Hello Cruel and Unusual punishment! And this from a Mother living in Massachusetts! Shame

And as to why I can't sleep and am up in the middle of the night here on the west coast.... Just look at my ticker. I'm stressed and excited at the same time!

Looking forward to hearing about the EMT!

Me (42) DW DS (11) DD(7)
Old 06-12-2012, 03:55 AM   #87
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMomR View Post
The responsibility of that packet is making me nervous just reading about it! I am the planner but DH has always been our holder of the tickets when the kids were younger. So you are better person than me!
I know, right?!?

Mark is usually the one who keeps our tickets (keycards) and FP when we are at the park. Here we(I) had plastic room keys, paper tickets (this is an issue on the last night), meal vouchers and ID cards for the boys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laffites Landing View Post
Dee:

Just loving the report so far! I agree with other posters. No electronics for FIVE days!!! Can you say a denial of Constitutional Rights?? Hello Cruel and Unusual punishment! And this from a Mother living in Massachusetts! Shame

And as to why I can't sleep and am up in the middle of the night here on the west coast.... Just look at my ticker. I'm stressed and excited at the same time!

Looking forward to hearing about the EMT!
OK, Um, we're all losing sight of the real denial of personal rights- I survived the 5 days without booze. 'Nuf said!!!

I hear you on the sleep issues. I have frequent insomnia, not just around trip times. Glad to have you spending your waking moments here!
Old 06-12-2012, 04:37 AM   #88
natebenma
DIS Veteran

We Haven't Even Left the Airport, and the EMTs show up!

12 Noon: When we arrived at the airport, we learned that our flight was delayed until 3:30.

Our group of 20 checked in at the Jet Blue Counter and proceeded to the security gate. We had been well-prepped by those organizing the trip how to comply with the liquids rules to make it through security without any issues.

Beep! Beep! Beep! One of our students triggered the metal detector. This was the first time this boy had flown. They took him off to the side and asked if he was comfortable with a pat down. He wasn’t. His parents were not chaperones on the trip. What to do?

As it turns out, he had a game boy in his pocket, one of the older, non-web based games. Allowed on the trip, but not through the metal detector! Once this was removed, he went through the metal detector again without triggering it. Phew!!!

After we arrived at our gate, we stayed in our walking groups. Our boys took over one set of seats and then occupied themselves with card games, snacks and games of water bottle toss. Didn’t love that one. Another group of boys were playing penny soccer. The girls’ groups were mostly sitting and chilling out.

The other passengers who were not part of our group stayed very far away in another part of the gate area.

Here’s me:

Around 1:30, the people working the Jet Blue desk announced that they were bringing out snacks. They brought a beverage cart filled with juices and water (no soft drinks) and boxes of the onboard snack offerings and let us have at it:

Really, really nice touch!!!

They also said that because of our long delay, we could take pairs of the headphones without paying the $2 fee.

Sometime around 2:15, I saw Airport Medical personnel enter the gate area and go over to the group of girls who were across the aisle from us. In addition to the chaperones, teachers and administrators on this trip, we take along a nurse- we actually had two on this trip- and she was attending to one of the students while the EMTs were monitoring her vital signs. At this point I didn’t know what had happened, but rumors were swirling that it may have been an allergic reaction.

It turns out that the girl had fainted, perhaps due to dehydration, or a lack of food, or nerves or possibly a recent illness. The nurse and one of the teachers in charge of the trip called the girl’s parents to find out what they wanted to do. The girl’s vital signs were in an acceptable range, and everyone decided she would continue on the trip, under the close watchful eye of the nurse on our flight.

After that bit of drama, we continued to wait around until it was time to board the plane, around 3:30 PM.

We also were offered free movies on the flight due to the delay.

I’ll finish off this post with a combination of texts between Mark/Ben and me and a few pictures:

2:59 We should be boarding in a few minutes. Already had a visit from airport medical. Dehydrated girl. Think she is ok. Good start…

3:10 PM Have a great flight, I’ll be thinking of you

6:58 PM Landed!

Our luggage arrived at carousel A10 for pick up. Because most of our plane was filled with our group, there wasn't enough carryon space and in addition to the chaperone bags, several of the kids' bags were gate-checked.

7:07 PM Welcome to Orlando hope you had a good short flight. Hope the delay didn’t make you cry- Benjamin (last name)
- that’s how he signed the text.

7:32 PM Thanks for the message Ben. No crying. Can’t find Magical Express. We are in Term A. It’s in B people!!!

7:33 PM LOL-Mark

7:56 PM Magical Express Underway

7:58 PM Glad to hear you’re on the final leg

I was in great position for the WDW sign, but it was not my best work!!!

8:29 PM @ All Star Movies

8:31 PM Enjoy the show and have some supper.

The rest of the night involved a "pizza - boxes of pizza on a bench and napkins, a swim for everyone, quick chaperone meeting in the Winners Circle, and settling into the room. Before heading to bed, I checked out the room where "breakfast" would be served and helped with some of the prep for that.

Next Up: So Ya Wanna Be in Movies, Kid?

Last edited by natebenma; 06-12-2012 at 04:57 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:16 AM   #89
JanetMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
The other passengers who were not part of our group stayed very far away in another part of the gate area.

Trip Report - March Break 2012 at the YC http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post44422655
Trip Report - March Break 2010 at CR – with stops at Poly, GF, WL, BW, BC, YC, MK, Epcot, HS, DD, and TL http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post35923604
Trip Report - Solo trip - A brief stay at CSR with a stop at AKL (with pics!) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36750372

FW - 1972 (I think, I was little then!); WL - 2004; WL CL - 2007; CR CL - 2010; CSR - 2010; YC CL - 2012
Old 06-12-2012, 05:16 AM   #90
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Thankfully the EMT visit ended up being nothing serious. Hmmm. Starting off with a flight delay and a medical emergency? Sounds like one of my trips!

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: