Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 05:40 AM   #871
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
Great Safari pics!!! I like the Safari and the Trails but... I guess we're spoiled. We live 15-20 min from the Bronx Zoo and we're members. And while the Bronx Zoo doesn't have the spectacular theming of AK, it is pretty awesome. We've seen lion cubs and baby giraffes and baby monkeys. I haven't seen the new tiger cubs uet because they were only recently introduced to th public. There's a monorail which is somewhat similar to the Safari (without the story but the ride is still narrated and has cool animals). My point is that I haven't learned to love AK as much as I love the other parks.

Amanda
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
Oh... As slightly higher than basic family members, we got to attend an early morning at the Congo exhibit this summer. We went an hour before Zoo opening and spent time at the Congo exhibit with the animal handlers. We asked tons of questions about gorillas and were fed breakfast at the same time! Gorillas are awesome!

Amanda
The Bronx Zoo sounds awesome and the early morning Congo visit sounds amazing! What a nice way to get up close and personal with the animals and the handlers.

I think one of the problems with Animal Kingdom is that guests are so focused on riding the rides they don't spend as much time just enjoying the animals. I know that is the case with us. I love the trail in Asia with the Tigers, Fruit Bats and Komodo Dragons, but we never spend enought time there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Now you have that song in my head..."And I just Can't wait to be king".....
That is my favorite song from The Lion King. I have never done Karaoke, but I have always wanted to do this song with one of my boys.

My second favorite is Scar's song: Be Prepared

"Yes, our teeth and amibitions are bared! Be Prepared!" Maybe not quite as catchy as some of the others, but the lyrics are killer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmskinner View Post
Love the pics from the trail. That is one of my favorites also.
Can't wait to see your pictures if you made it over to AK on your recent trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYorkDisneyFan View Post
There is or was one at the Toronto Zoo, one of the younger ones. The silver back we have Charles is one of the oldest animals at the Zoo he came here to Toronto from Gabon when he was about 3 years old. He is very protective of all of the Gorillas at the zoo though and is apparently a great father to them all.Despite the fact that he sits back a lot of the time when they are out
Gorillas have such distinctive personalities. Thanks for sharing the story about Charles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Ha! I was singing that in my head as well!

Dee: I love the gorillas and I agree they are fascinating to watch. It was cool to have the CM explain the ages of some of the gorillas that were out. Did you ever notice the .... ahem... smell that was so pervasive in the area? A very musky smell that the CMs explained were from the adolescent males I believe.
"Unfortunately" I did not notice the smell.

Um, did you miss my chapter titled "The Showering Habits of Teens?" I had my own issues with aromas from adolescent males to deal with!

Last edited by natebenma; 09-10-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #872
luvpoohandcompany
DIS Veteran

HI Dee-I finally have access to a computer again (for a wee while at least). Mine has packed up and gone but my daughter has gone out tonight so I pinched erm borrowed hers (what she doesn't know doesnt hurt).
I love the trails/animals at AK but it is my families least favourite park (and lets just say that makes them less than delightful to tour with!!) Enough said
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #873
AnjieNet
DIS Veteran

What great photos of the safari and trail. We've been lucky at times and unlucky other times. Our best safari was in the rain about a half hour before closing. All the animals were out and standing around. I'm curious to see if you saw the tigers outside of the glass on the other trail (not going to attempt to botch the spelling of that one!). We haven't yet and I'm bound and determined to catch them moving about someday!

So happy Flat Ben is having a good time. We are looking forward to his stay with us. Hope he doesn't mind a trip to Universal/IOA before heading to WDW and MNSSHP.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #874
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvpoohandcompany View Post
HI Dee-I finally have access to a computer again (for a wee while at least). Mine has packed up and gone but my daughter has gone out tonight so I pinched erm borrowed hers (what she doesn't know doesnt hurt).
I love the trails/animals at AK but it is my families least favourite park (and lets just say that makes them less than delightful to tour with!!) Enough said
Good to have you back. Sorry about the loss of your computer. That would send me into fits!

AK is my family's least favorite park, too. We are good for about 1/2 to 3/4 of a day there during a week long trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnjieNet View Post
What great photos of the safari and trail. We've been lucky at times and unlucky other times. Our best safari was in the rain about a half hour before closing. All the animals were out and standing around. I'm curious to see if you saw the tigers outside of the glass on the other trail (not going to attempt to botch the spelling of that one!). We haven't yet and I'm bound and determined to catch them moving about someday!

So happy Flat Ben is having a good time. We are looking forward to his stay with us. Hope he doesn't mind a trip to Universal/IOA before heading to WDW and MNSSHP.
I think time of day, and more importantly weather play a huge factor in how many animals are out and about. Cool and overcast/rainy seem to be the key.

Spoiler alert. We didn't spend any time on the trails in Asia, so we didn't see the tigers, Komodo Dragons or fruit bats. I think I have only seen the tigers against the wall, behind the glass, never out and about. We have always been on that trail in the late morning or early afternoon, in the summer = HOT!

Flat Ben will LOVE going to Universal/IoA! He is a real Gryffindork. I'll have to make a special version of FB for the occasion. Don't forget your Gringotts ATM card though, FB drinks his weight in Butterbeer. I'll get in touch with you by PM in the next couple of days to make the arrangements to get him to you, or you can email me at beachclubdee@yahoo.com
Old 09-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #875
MHTeacher
DIS Veteran

I had some catching up to do. Looks like you got some great pictures on the safari--I can't believe you saw three lions!

Your trail pictures are great too. I'm not prudish--just sort of grossed out by the naked mole rats. They're just a little too rodent-y for me! Love the gorilla pics. They are my favorite! I could watch them for hours!

Hold my umbrella while I find your poncho-May 2012 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...64&postcount=1
Disney Dining, DIS Meets, and WAIT-Why is that lady holding onto my husband?May,2010 TR http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=1
DON'T CRY OR WE'LL RIDE DINOSAUR AGAIN! March, 2010 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post35995716
A 16th Birthday/New Years Celebration(with 75000 of our closest friends) Dec. 2009 TR-http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34927152

All Star Sports 2001 Coronado Springs 2003 Wilderness Lodge 2005 Polynesian 2007 POR- 2007 POR 2008 Polynesian 2009 Yacht Club 2009 POR 2010 Beach Club 2010 Polynesian 2012 POP 2013
Old 09-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #876
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Are We There Yeti?

After we exited the trail, some of the kids went over to a gift shop while waiting for others to return from their bio breaks. Once we were all assembled (Count to 14), we walked from Africa to Asia to use our FP at Expedition Everest.

Looking at the time stamp on my photos, we left Africa at 10:27, got into the EE queue at 10:37 and boarded the ride at 10:43.

2 kids and 1 adult sat out the ride and waited for us.

Here’s some pictures as we buzzed through the FP line:

Let’s ride!

Next up: Who Gets Wet on Kali and Who Doesn’t?

Old 09-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #877
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHTeacher View Post
I had some catching up to do. Looks like you got some great pictures on the safari--I can't believe you saw three lions!

Your trail pictures are great too. I'm not prudish--just sort of grossed out by the naked mole rats. They're just a little too rodent-y for me! Love the gorilla pics. They are my favorite! I could watch them for hours!
I imagine things have been time consuming at school this year with some of the new curriculum you have. Hope it is going well!

I was so excited to see 3 lions. And actually get a picture of them.

Lions were Nathan's favorite animals when he was young and so they will always be a special animal to me. Hint, hint, sniff- my avatar is Nay Nay Roar, Nathan's favorite toy from the time he was 18 months old until, well, quite a while!

I agree with you- the naked mole rats just ain't right. But my pictures came out good!

The gorillas are so interesting. I got way behind my group because I spent a teeny bit too much time watching them...
Old 09-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #878
333disneymom
DIS Veteran

Dee- love your ride pics. That's one thing I never seem to get - I am always afraid of dropping my camera. You got some really good ones on Expedition Everest.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #879
MEK
DIS Veteran

Now that looks like one fun ride on EE. Great pictures. Everyone on your train looks like they are having a blast!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 09-13-2012, 04:41 AM   #880
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333disneymom View Post
Dee- love your ride pics. That's one thing I never seem to get - I am always afraid of dropping my camera. You got some really good ones on Expedition Everest.
Thank you!!!

I love taking pictures on rides. The only close call I have had with dropping my camera was on a zipline in Mexico as we were traveling over enclosures with cheetahs and alligators. I had the camera strapped to my wrist, but somehow I lost my grip on the actual camera and it flew up and hit me in the face.

We have a second ride on EE later that day, so I have a few more photos coming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Now that looks like one fun ride on EE. Great pictures. Everyone on your train looks like they are having a blast!
Yes, very fun ride!

For the record, none of the people in the photos on EE were part of my group. I believe I was at the end of our pack. Some of the arms in the air belonged to our teens, though.

Did I notice a recent visit from the Tag Fairy???
Old 09-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #881
AnjieNet
DIS Veteran

Expedition Everest is our favorite Disney rollercoaster. We always have to ride it multiple times. I have never thought to take photos on the ride though. I must this trip! Loved the "end of the track" pictures.

I e-mailed you about Flat Ben. He will be well accompanied in his love for Butterbeer at IOA. How do you think he'd feel about a princess dress for CRT?!? Eh, maybe that's going too far.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #882
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnjieNet View Post
Expedition Everest is our favorite Disney rollercoaster. We always have to ride it multiple times. I have never thought to take photos on the ride though. I must this trip! Loved the "end of the track" pictures.

I e-mailed you about Flat Ben. He will be well accompanied in his love for Butterbeer at IOA. How do you think he'd feel about a princess dress for CRT?!? Eh, maybe that's going too far.
Big Thunder is my favorite coaster, but EE is a close second. Ben is not a fan, he went on it once in 2008, I think and hasn't tried it again. But FB is up for the challenge!

I got your info. I don't think a princess dress will fly... I already have one son who doesn't talk to me But I could possibly do Flynn Ryder, or Sebastian the Crab or the Beast. Let me see what I can come up with.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #883
JanetMom
DIS Veteran

Love the EE pictures! I've never ridden it because I'm scared of backwards coasters (and feeling pukey). Riding it vicariously through you is great.

Trip Report - March Break 2012 at the YC http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post44422655
Trip Report - March Break 2010 at CR – with stops at Poly, GF, WL, BW, BC, YC, MK, Epcot, HS, DD, and TL http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post35923604
Trip Report - Solo trip - A brief stay at CSR with a stop at AKL (with pics!) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36750372

FW - 1972 (I think, I was little then!); WL - 2004; WL CL - 2007; CR CL - 2010; CSR - 2010; YC CL - 2012
Old 09-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #884
MHTeacher
DIS Veteran

Brave girl with all those EE pics! Love 'em!

Hold my umbrella while I find your poncho-May 2012 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...64&postcount=1
Disney Dining, DIS Meets, and WAIT-Why is that lady holding onto my husband?May,2010 TR http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=1
DON'T CRY OR WE'LL RIDE DINOSAUR AGAIN! March, 2010 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post35995716
A 16th Birthday/New Years Celebration(with 75000 of our closest friends) Dec. 2009 TR-http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34927152

All Star Sports 2001 Coronado Springs 2003 Wilderness Lodge 2005 Polynesian 2007 POR- 2007 POR 2008 Polynesian 2009 Yacht Club 2009 POR 2010 Beach Club 2010 Polynesian 2012 POP 2013

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: