Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2012, 05:16 AM   #151
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMom View Post
That sounds incredibly well organized!
The trip was extremely well organized (even though it was not by me)!

The school has been doing the Disney trip for 10 years now. As I have said before, many parents object to this location for a class trip- expense, perceived educational value, etc. After experiencing this trip, I can see why this is the right choice- it is really the best, safest and I believe most cost effective trip for our group.

There is no way the teachers would be able to head to Sam's Club every day if we were in the middle of NYC or Washington, DC. I can't imagine what the food costs would be for a trip like that. And 8-10 hours on a bus with teenagers??? I'll pass on that, thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddluvsdisney View Post
I was wondering where the food came from too. Since you guys were setting it up I thought it was the school who arranged it- that was great!

Hey maybe I can teach one of the Y.E.S programs! if I don't find a job around here. I probably would have seriously done that a few years ago but now that the boys are the ages they are I'd hate to pull them out of their schools and have them leave their friends.

It was really a great way to handle breakfast. The "breakfast room" was occupied by Nate's math teacher and lots and lots of food! They took around 5 or 6 tables from other rooms in our groups, 5 fridges (I think in the past they had to rent them) and several of the trash pails which they filled with ice to keep the waters cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
Love the pizza for breakfast!
Love all the pics of All-Stars! As a family of 5 I can't imagine we'll stay there soon. It's interesting to see the details of the resort.

Amanda
Pizza for breakfast worked for me, too! I also loved that the extra didn't go to waste. We must have finished it all, because I didn't see it any other morning.

I thought the resort was really cute. I loved the details in all of the sections. I didn't post the pictures of the other sections of the resort here, but it cracked me up that the walking paths in Dalmations has painted bones on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvpoohandcompany View Post
Sounds like you had all the bases covered! Love the breakfast set up-laughed when I read about the water as I was shocked the first time we went to florida just how much water we drank!!
I love that you managed to organise fastpass runners even without your husband there You should definitely persuade Mark to join you on Ben's trip when the time comes! You would be awesome together organising those kids and I would be in awe this side of the Atlantic reading every tiny detail(just sayin)
A LOT of water!!! Unfortunately, they ran out of bottled water for us the first day, which was the hottest of our trip. They encouraged us to take a bottle or two to the park with us, but there was no more by the time my group came looking for some.

Mark may come along on Ben's trip. We will have to see what happens when that gets closer. Ben would love to have Dad there. But there is no way that Mark would room with someone he doesn't know. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind bunking with me.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #152
JanetMom
DIS Veteran

I should clarify that when I said "well organized", I meant from the class trip point of view - things like the Sam's Club breakfast, having a room assigned for breakfast, lots of chaperones etc.

I know there is noooo waayyyyy this trip could possibly be well organized from a best way to hit WDW point of view. You would have kicked there butts when it comes to organizing things like best way to get from point A to point B contest, best way to win the who's got the most Fast Passes contest, best way to get back to the Resort while seeing the most other places in WDW and riding the most rides along the way. I assume they couldn't possibly have done that right.

Some parents are never going to be happy with the choice of location for a class road trip. They think the entire trip should simulate being in a classroom when really the trip is about learning how to be out and about in the world without constant parental supervision (unless they come with you , but even then he had to learn to live with his room mate, get up on time etc.) I think the best trips are the ones where the kids learn a tiny bit of traditional educational stuff, and learn a whole lot about how to conduct themselves socially and have some fun.

Up here in Ontario, our grade 8 trip is to Ottawa. It involves a 6-hour bus ride (I did not chaperone my son's!). I do still remember my grade 8 class trip to Ottawa - it was the first time I stayed in a nice hotel and I loved the experience and still remember havng a great time sharing the room with my friend Barb. I don't remember much about the museums we saw, but I remember having fun on the trip.

Trip Report - Dining with Disers 2014
Trip Report - March Break 2012 at the YC http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post44422655
Trip Report - March Break 2010 at CR – with stops at Poly, GF, WL, BW, BC, YC, MK, Epcot, HS, DD, and TL http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post35923604
Trip Report - Solo trip - A brief stay at CSR with a stop at AKL (with pics!) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36750372

FW - 1972 (I think, I was little then!); WL - 2004; WL CL - 2007; CR CL - 2010; CSR - 2010; YC CL - 2012; BC - 2014
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #153
15isto2
DIS Veteran

Do the teens share two or four to a room?

Old 06-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #154
BLTtinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
I'm glad you are enjoying the report and that I could give you a laugh!

Wow, your trip is rapidly approaching!!!
I enjoy your writing style!
Looking forward to my trip! So many things to do & yet here I am on the Dis!

Old 06-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #155
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I should clarify that when I said "well organized", I meant from the class trip point of view - things like the Sam's Club breakfast, having a room assigned for breakfast, lots of chaperones etc.

I know there is noooo waayyyyy this trip could possibly be well organized from a best way to hit WDW point of view. You would have kicked there butts when it comes to organizing things like best way to get from point A to point B contest, best way to win the who's got the most Fast Passes contest, best way to get back to the Resort while seeing the most other places in WDW and riding the most rides along the way. I assume they couldn't possibly have done that right.

Some parents are never going to be happy with the choice of location for a class road trip. They think the entire trip should simulate being in a classroom when really the trip is about learning how to be out and about in the world without constant parental supervision (unless they come with you , but even then he had to learn to live with his room mate, get up on time etc.) I think the best trips are the ones where the kids learn a tiny bit of traditional educational stuff, and learn a whole lot about how to conduct themselves socially and have some fun.

Up here in Ontario, our grade 8 trip is to Ottawa. It involves a 6-hour bus ride (I did not chaperone my son's!). I do still remember my grade 8 class trip to Ottawa - it was the first time I stayed in a nice hotel and I loved the experience and still remember havng a great time sharing the room with my friend Barb. I don't remember much about the museums we saw, but I remember having fun on the trip.
You hit the nail exactly on the head!!!

I was very nervous with the group of boys in our group. They are not kids who normally hang around together and I was concerned about how they would treat one another, but the biggest surprise was how they interacted- respectfully, cooperatively and without complaint or ridicule.

I am more proud of seeing the social lessons that than anything they "learned" in the organized classes.

I was very impressed with the organization of the trip, from start to finish (except for assigning me to a a group of 14 boys- all of the other groups were much smaller and more manageable).

I set aside my commando soul for this trip, and I was ok with that. There was no other way. I may have even "enjoyed" *cowers in embarassment* the afternoon breaks a tiny little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15isto2 View Post
Do the teens share two or four to a room?
The teens were 4 to a room. The adults were two to a room.

After bed check for each room, we placed a pair of magnets on the doors to the kids' rooms. If they opened the door during the night, the magnets would be displaced and there is no way to set it back up from inside.

The school also hires security guards overnight to watch the hallways while everyone is asleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTtinkerbell View Post
I enjoy your writing style!
Looking forward to my trip! So many things to do & yet here I am on the Dis!
Thank you so much!!!

For some reason, I hate the "finality" of the last minute preparations for a trip, and I always put too many things off until the last minute.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #156
15isto2
DIS Veteran

The magnets are a brilliant idea I do sympathise with a group of 14 teen boys, I can feel the testosterone from here lol

Old 06-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #157
cfw213
DIS Veteran

Hello! I just read all your posts so far - sounds fun! My school has a trip to Disney our senior year - we had about 250-300 17/18 year olds...pretty crazy!

Can't wait to hear the rest!

September 2012 TR - COMPLETE- Are you Push?? Our sister trip around the World - A September 2012 TR
October 2013 TR - IN PROGRESS- Where are we going? What are we doing? An engagement/anniversary extravaganza! - An Oct 2013 TR

Old 06-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #158
JanetMom
DIS Veteran

Love the magnets! They made me laugh. Perfect way of "locking" them in while allowing the door to be open in an emergency.

Trip Report - Dining with Disers 2014
Trip Report - March Break 2012 at the YC http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post44422655
Trip Report - March Break 2010 at CR – with stops at Poly, GF, WL, BW, BC, YC, MK, Epcot, HS, DD, and TL http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post35923604
Trip Report - Solo trip - A brief stay at CSR with a stop at AKL (with pics!) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36750372

FW - 1972 (I think, I was little then!); WL - 2004; WL CL - 2007; CR CL - 2010; CSR - 2010; YC CL - 2012; BC - 2014
Old 06-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #159
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15isto2 View Post
The magnets are a brilliant idea I do sympathise with a group of 14 teen boys, I can feel the testosterone from here lol
The magnets are a winner!

I have to say, the boys we had were really good. Most of the time. Compared to some of the other, smaller walking groups I saw, we lucked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfw213 View Post
Hello! I just read all your posts so far - sounds fun! My school has a trip to Disney our senior year - we had about 250-300 17/18 year olds...pretty crazy!

Can't wait to hear the rest!
Thanks for your kind words!

Do you take any of the Y.E.S. classes or is it just a class trip?

My first trip to Disney World was with members of my high school class (which included my DH).

I want to say at that time the drinking age was 18 in Florida, and we may have had one or two students who "qualified". But I could be wrong.

Quote:
Love the magnets! They made me laugh. Perfect way of "locking" them in while allowing the door to be open in an emergency.
According to the teachers, the magnets have been a very effective method throughout the years to avoid any nocturnal wanderings.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #160
jenneth79
DIS Veteran

I have to say, I almost enjoy cold pizza for breakfast more than fresh pizza!!! Especially if it's pineapple and pepperoni.... mmmm....

Great idea regarding the magnets! I will have to tell my friend about that. She gets a separate room for her three teenage daughters each time they go on trips, and always worries about them sneaking about.

MK looks super crowded! Was that just for the opening show or did it seem pretty packed? My only fear with traveling in the summer....I've gotten spoiled going off season, but we do miss out on a lot.

Glad you were able to get some coffee, I cannot live without mine now and have some starbucks via packs on hand at all times (though no coffee maker, wow, that just turned me off from Value resorts for forever. Moderates still have them, right?)

Looking forward to seeing which ride was 'dis'ed.... could it be a little Blue Alien???
Old 06-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #161
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenneth79 View Post
I have to say, I almost enjoy cold pizza for breakfast more than fresh pizza!!! Especially if it's pineapple and pepperoni.... mmmm....

Great idea regarding the magnets! I will have to tell my friend about that. She gets a separate room for her three teenage daughters each time they go on trips, and always worries about them sneaking about.

MK looks super crowded! Was that just for the opening show or did it seem pretty packed? My only fear with traveling in the summer....I've gotten spoiled going off season, but we do miss out on a lot.

Glad you were able to get some coffee, I cannot live without mine now and have some starbucks via packs on hand at all times (though no coffee maker, wow, that just turned me off from Value resorts for forever. Moderates still have them, right?)

Looking forward to seeing which ride was 'dis'ed.... could it be a little Blue Alien???
I think the crowds depicted in my photos were mainly due to the opening show- nobody had been let into the park yet.

I do have a crowd picture that is quite scary from noon that day, near the narrow It's a Small World/Peter Pan corridor.

Hmm, that's right, you are a Stitch-lover!
Old 06-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #162
hcoker1
Mouseketeer

Location: Woodstock Ontario, half way between Detroit and Toronto.

Thanks for the update! I'm impressed with how well the trip is organized and just might have to steel the magnet idea for my future music dept. trips.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #163
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

OMG the magnets are genius!!! that is awesome. Have they always done that or did somebody just think of that??
My DS15 said they didn't do anything like that for his 8th gr. trip. He's convinced they could get around magnets lol.
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
Old 06-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #164
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Okay the magnets are just genius! I had friends that went to Disney with our high school's band (this was about 15 years ago, at this point) and the chaperons used the old-school tape method and it didn't work at all. I don't think any of my friends stayed in their assigned rooms or got much sleep at all!

Pizza, the vacation breakfast of champions. I'll echo what PPs have said, kudos to the planners for the breakfast setup. I'm sure it was much easier than scrambling to find CS breakfasts for those boys.

I'm curious to hear how the FP collecting went with the new FP policy in place....
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Old 06-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #165
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

That was a great breakfast spread. And love the magnet idea. Have to remember that for future trips if we ever had kids in their own rooms.

This trip sounds amazing!
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013, GF Sept 2014

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014

Minions take over the MK and cause havoc at Gringott's

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: