Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #136
Queila
DIS Veteran

Wow that is a fast pace moving TR! Trying hard not to fall behind. Again.

Loe the pictures of the hotel. Did not know they had fridges in the room in the Value now. Nice add on.

Q
Old 06-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #137
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Wow I would definately stay there. Now just to talk DH into a value.....NOT!
There is more attention to detail than I expected.
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #138
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTtinkerbell View Post
Looking forward to reading more......
I'm glad you are enjoying the report and that I could give you a laugh!

Wow, your trip is rapidly approaching!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queila View Post
Wow that is a fast pace moving TR! Trying hard not to fall behind. Again.

Loe the pictures of the hotel. Did not know they had fridges in the room in the Value now. Nice add on.

Q
Well, I'm trying to whip out those chapters so that my convalescing friends have something to entertain them!

I think all of the All Stars got the fridges this spring. I stored some water in there and some other treats I had purchased for home.

I don't know if Pop is getting them, or if they recently got them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddluvsdisney View Post
Wow I would definately stay there. Now just to talk DH into a value.....NOT!
There is more attention to detail than I expected.
At the resort, or from me???

The biggest issue I had with the resort was the size of the beds/room. Too small for my family. It worked ok when they were younger, but the rooms would not work for us now.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #139
MHTeacher
DIS Veteran

Wow---I'm gone for 1 1/2 days for my daughter's college orientation, and I miss a 3 part update! Caught up though now!

I like the bow-tie on the Mickey towel!

Hold my umbrella while I find your poncho-May 2012 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...64&postcount=1
Disney Dining, DIS Meets, and WAIT-Why is that lady holding onto my husband?May,2010 TR http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=1
DON'T CRY OR WE'LL RIDE DINOSAUR AGAIN! March, 2010 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post35995716
A 16th Birthday/New Years Celebration(with 75000 of our closest friends) Dec. 2009 TR-http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34927152

All Star Sports 2001 Coronado Springs 2003 Wilderness Lodge 2005 Polynesian 2007 POR- 2007 POR 2008 Polynesian 2009 Yacht Club 2009 POR 2010 Beach Club 2010 Polynesian 2012 POP 2013
Old 06-15-2012, 04:43 AM   #140
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHTeacher View Post
Wow---I'm gone for 1 1/2 days for my daughter's college orientation, and I miss a 3 part update! Caught up though now!

I like the bow-tie on the Mickey towel!
Well, most of the updates were pictures, so hopefully the catchup was not too painful.

I just read about your incredible AK day. Fun!
Old 06-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #141
natebenma
DIS Veteran

You all know by now that one of the conditions of chaperoneship was a ban on alcohol during the trip. To be honest, I don’t drink much, so although I have been joking around, this rule was not an issue for me.

But there was another problem I had to overcome. A different addiction I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to satisfy.

For me, the worst thing about staying at a value resort is the lack of a coffee maker in the rooms. When we stayed at All Star Music back in 2008, I brought a brand new 10 cup Mr. Coffee with me for our stay. Before our trip, I had prearranged to donate it to an ongoing fridge swap when we checked out. As some of you may know, my very first post on the Beach and Yacht Club FAQ thread was: “What kind of coffee makers are in the rooms?”

I considered bringing a coffee maker again this year, but instead I decided I would try to make do with a refill mug. I just didn’t know if I would be able to get coffee early enough in the morning, so every night, I made sure I had some coffee to put in the fridge for a morning ice coffee, while I waited for my real coffee. I prefer hot coffee in the morning, and I drink it black, but I need to add cream and sweetener when I am having it cold. I added cream to my cup, stashed the refill cup in the fridge and added ice each morning.

Bedtime was around midnight on our arrival day. The following morning, I woke up around 4:30. I was pretty sure I couldn’t fall back to sleep, so I decided to get up, grab my coffee, grab my camera, grab my phone (to check up on the DIS) and head out for a walk to the lobby area.

First stop was to the check-in desk. I wanted to add charging privileges to my key card. The CM was able to do that BUT it was too early for her to print me a new card. I would have to check back later.

At some point I finished my first coffee and I was pleased to discover that although the food court was not open yet, the coffee machine was accessible and functioning. I poured myself a cup and wandered the resort. Many of the early morning resort pictures in the previous posts came from this morning.

Some time later, I checked on the breakfast room. The teachers were just starting the preparations, so I jumped in and helped, washing and cutting fruit and setting up the food on the tables.

We had special, chartered buses to take us to the MK this morning for our Y.E.S. program. We boarded at 8 am for a 9 am opening at the park.

I did a much better job taking a picture of the MK sign this morning, than I did with the WDW sign the previous night:

The buses let us off at the TTC. I haven’t been here since 2004!

I never mind a ride on the monorail!

Here are a few of the views as we approached the MK:

We entered the park, and met up with our Y.E.S. instructor, Donna.

We waited around to see if any other students would join our instruction group, but it ended up “just” being our 14 boys and 3 chaperones. The other chaperones had free time in the park and had the mission of gathering FP for us to use during the afternoon.

Next Up: Energy and Waves and the only attraction in Disney I Dis

Last edited by natebenma; 06-15-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #142
15isto2
DIS Veteran

Is that pizza at breakfast?

Old 06-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #143
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran

Nice!! I'm likin the Pizza for breakfast!!!

I can imagine that some sage on the trip realized the object was to get them to eat ANY remotely nutritious foods to keep them stoked for the morning. The worst thing you can do is to let them not eat something in the morning. It would be melt down city for sure later in the day!

Was that Pizza cold from the night before?

~NM
Old 06-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #144
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15isto2 View Post
Is that pizza at breakfast?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom View Post
Nice!! I'm likin the Pizza for breakfast!!!

I can imagine that some sage on the trip realized the object was to get them to eat ANY remotely nutritious foods to keep them stoked for the morning. The worst thing you can do is to let them not eat something in the morning. It would be melt down city for sure later in the day!

Was that Pizza cold from the night before?

~NM
Yes, and Yes!

I may have grabbed a slice myself. I can't remember.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #145
MHTeacher
DIS Veteran

I'm liking the fact that y'all had a "breakfast room." Anything to help ease the OOP money for food that parents have to send with their kids is great! Did y'all order from a grocery service and have all that delivered? I'm guessing you all didn't load that up in luggage and check it at the airport!

Hold my umbrella while I find your poncho-May 2012 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...64&postcount=1
Disney Dining, DIS Meets, and WAIT-Why is that lady holding onto my husband?May,2010 TR http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=1
DON'T CRY OR WE'LL RIDE DINOSAUR AGAIN! March, 2010 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post35995716
A 16th Birthday/New Years Celebration(with 75000 of our closest friends) Dec. 2009 TR-http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34927152

All Star Sports 2001 Coronado Springs 2003 Wilderness Lodge 2005 Polynesian 2007 POR- 2007 POR 2008 Polynesian 2009 Yacht Club 2009 POR 2010 Beach Club 2010 Polynesian 2012 POP 2013
Old 06-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #146
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHTeacher View Post
I'm liking the fact that y'all had a "breakfast room." Anything to help ease the OOP money for food that parents have to send with their kids is great! Did y'all order from a grocery service and have all that delivered? I'm guessing you all didn't load that up in luggage and check it at the airport!
In addition to parent chaperones and nurses, we had one administrator, 4 8th grade teachers, 1 7th grade teacher and 1 5th grade teacher. Only a couple of them were responsible for a group of kids- the rest were "floaters/free agents" who helped out in the event that a student couldn't go to a park, or had to come back. I think there was one rental car (van???). The teachers made daily trips to a nearby Sam's Club to purchase most of the items.

When the teachers first arrived in Florida, they got 24 cases of water, muffins, fruit, cereal, milk, juice, granola bars, pretzels, cheezits, etc.

Then on the following days picked up anything they needed to restock, like 36 cases of water on Day 2!!!

They told parents/kids that the only money they would need to bring, on top of what we had paid for the trip ($775 per person) was money for food at the airport on our arrival and departure days. Of course, many students had additional money for snacks, the arcade, souvenirs, etc...
Old 06-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #147
JanetMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
In addition to parent chaperones and nurses, we had one administrator, 4 8th grade teachers, 1 7th grade teacher and 1 5th grade teacher. Only a couple of them were responsible for a group of kids- the rest were "floaters/free agents" who helped out in the event that a student couldn't go to a park, or had to come back. I think there was one rental car (van???). The teachers made daily trips to a nearby Sam's Club to purchase most of the items.

When the teachers first arrived in Florida, they got 24 cases of water, muffins, fruit, cereal, milk, juice, granola bars, pretzels, cheezits, etc.

Then on the following days picked up anything they needed to restock, like 36 cases of water on Day 2!!!

They told parents/kids that the only money they would need to bring, on top of what we had paid for the trip ($775 per person) was money for food at the airport on our arrival and departure days. Of course, many students had additional money for snacks, the arcade, souvenirs, etc...
That sounds incredibly well organized!

Trip Report - March Break 2012 at the YC http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post44422655
Trip Report - March Break 2010 at CR – with stops at Poly, GF, WL, BW, BC, YC, MK, Epcot, HS, DD, and TL http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post35923604
Trip Report - Solo trip - A brief stay at CSR with a stop at AKL (with pics!) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36750372

FW - 1972 (I think, I was little then!); WL - 2004; WL CL - 2007; CR CL - 2010; CSR - 2010; YC CL - 2012
Old 06-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #148
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post

I was wondering where the food came from too. Since you guys were setting it up I thought it was the school who arranged it- that was great!

Hey maybe I can teach one of the Y.E.S programs! if I don't find a job around here. I probably would have seriously done that a few years ago but now that the boys are the ages they are I'd hate to pull them out of their schools and have them leave their friends.
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
Old 06-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #149
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Love the pizza for breakfast!
Love all the pics of All-Stars! As a family of 5 I can't imagine we'll stay there soon. It's interesting to see the details of the resort.

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
Old 06-16-2012, 02:50 AM   #150
luvpoohandcompany
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you had all the bases covered! Love the breakfast set up-laughed when I read about the water as I was shocked the first time we went to florida just how much water we drank!!
I love that you managed to organise fastpass runners even without your husband there You should definitely persuade Mark to join you on Ben's trip when the time comes! You would be awesome together organising those kids and I would be in awe this side of the Atlantic reading every tiny detail(just sayin)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: