Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
mrjimbodisboards
Earning My Ears

Bikini exposure on cruise?

All,

This is my very first post, and that's because I REALLY WOULD LOVE to take my family on a Disney cruise by next year. I am kind of eyeing Sept 2013. I understand that is the least expensive time of the year to go. So, I would very much like to lock in the low rates by July or August and then start paying monthly payments.

First of all, I would like apologize to anyone that I may offend about bringing this up. But, it is a question that has been bothering me about cruises in general, because I (nor my wife) have not been on a cruise before. Also, I am really swallowing my male pride asking this question.

Anyway, because I believe strongly about modesty and that I am male, I am a little concern of women in bikinis walking all over the ship. Now, I understand that if I am near the pool deck, of course I would encounter this. I would definitely avoid this area during the trip. Besides, I would be just happy grazing by the wonderful looking food.

Nevertheless, do women walk around all over the ship in their 2-peice? (in fact, is there a 'dress standard' for swimsuits? No thongs, right?)

Or, am I "safe" if I just stay away from the pool?

Just trying to control my eyes!

Jim
Old 06-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

There is no standard for swimwear for either males or females. MOST remember that it is a Disney (family oriented) cruise, but some do not. I've been shocked by some of the attire both on formal night and around the pools.

However, I've not encountered shocking "lack of swimwear" anywhere but the pool deck. People don't usually run around the ship in swimsuits other than going back to their cabins, and then they typically wear a cover up of some sort or a towel.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
There is no standard for swimwear for either males or females. MOST remember that it is a Disney (family oriented) cruise, but some do not. I've been shocked by some of the attire both on formal night and around the pools.

However, I've not encountered shocking "lack of swimwear" anywhere but the pool deck. People don't usually run around the ship in swimsuits other than going back to their cabins, and then they typically wear a cover up of some sort or a towel.

I agree with you....to most of us, the few that we see doesn't SEEM like a lot....or most people may not pay attention because we're kind of used to it, but on the last couple of cruises, I seem to have noticed more and more than people are forgetting that Miss Manners calls for a cover-up in any public place other than right at the pool.
Along with the dining room dress code, this has also gone on a downward spiral. It seems that no one has taught their teen daughters about modesty.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

It does seem like you would be better off on DCL because it is more family oriented, but I am sure there are always all types of people on the cruise.

Have you thought about looking into Alaska? I am guessing there are lots of layers!

Me DH DS 5

Last edited by Momma2Jax; 06-08-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
tinkerbellerina
Mouseketeer

I think the itinerary you chose would lessen the chance of seeing something that you do not wish to see. Alaska for example might be a good choice. You definitely would not want to go to the beaches, especially those on St. Maartin.

I do think most people know that it is a family ship and wear cover ups to and from the pool area. However, you never know what you will see, just like you never know what you will see walking down the street.

Also, there are loungers on the top deck (of the Wonder and I assume the other ships as well) where people can sunbath.

Last edited by tinkerbellerina; 06-08-2012 at 11:19 PM. Reason: need to add info about top deck and beaches
Old 06-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellerina View Post

. . . Alaska for example might be a good choice.
Or the Baltics.

Woody
Old 06-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #7
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Then you better plan on staying away from any of the beaches including Castaway Cay. Definitely do not go to Orient beach in St. Maartin.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #8
extechie rbd/wdt
DIS Veteran

You do know that Ariel wears a two piece right????

[IMG][/IMG]

Ex Techie
Old 06-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #9
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by extechie rbd/wdt View Post

[IMG][/IMG]

Ex Techie

Not to minimize the concerns of the OP, but that's cute!
Old 06-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #10
justmestace

I actually know a very beautiful woman, who looks WAY better than a Barbie doll, and is the sweetest, dearest person....and she does wear a thong bikini on Disney. She does NOT, however, walk around uncovered.
I heard a lot of negative comments from people who didn't know that I was friends with her, though. I think it's false for people to think that just because it's Disney, that people will "cover up" or wear something more modest.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #11
reimero
DIS Veteran

By and large, based on the cruise we were just on, I'd say the majority of people on board were pretty modest. Outside the pool decks, people were dressed or wore cover-ups. On the pool decks, the swimwear I observed wasn't particularly scandalous either. I guess without knowing what your threshold of modesty is, it's hard to give a particularly effective description. But I will say that (not that I was looking for it) I did not see any swimwear better suited for dental purposes than swimming purposes.

What I would say is that what people wear is more typical of what families would wear to the local pool than what one would expect to see in, say, Brazil. Seriously, I wouldn't worry about it on the ship. But, as mentioned before, I would steer clear of Orient Beach in St. Martin.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #12
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by extechie rbd/wdt View Post

To the OP, honestly, on any cruise ship, you're going to see women wearing two-pieces. You'll see children wearing two-pieces. Most people in their suits will be by the pool or on the beach. Most adult women, I notice, tend to wear some form of a coverup--at least for their lower half.

If you're that concerned, and you still want to cruise, I'd pick either a smaller cruise line aimed at older cruisers, or an itinerary to Alaska (or other colder destinations). But I'd say it's impossible to completely avoid seeing people in their suits when you're all in one inclosed, isolated space.

Your concern and chivalry is admirable, but you'd probably spend a lot of time on your vacation avoiding the swimsuits around you if any vessel has a pool.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #13
DakotaDisneyLover
Mouseketeer

No, people do not walk all over the ship normally with just swimsuits on. Usually they have a cover up on if they are anywhere but the pool/sundeck area during the day. I haven't seen anyone in thongs on the ships or Castaway Cay either. You will see tons of people walking around Castaway Cay in their swimsuits. And, depending on which other island(s) you visit, you may see more revealing swimsuits. Not sure why you are so modest, but I guess everyone is different. Skimpy swimsuits don't bother me or my husband, as it doesn't interfere with our religion and we are very secure in our marriage. If you are going to tropical islands, you will see people dressed for tropical weather and beaches, obviously. If this doesn't work for you, Alaska is the answer as other posters have pointed out.
*Disney Wonder 2010
*Disney Fantasy February 2013
Old 06-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #14
Minnie321
DIS Veteran

I have not cruised Disney yet but if this is a big issue you may want to stay away from cruises or the beach for that fact - I am sorry but really it is a cruise. I can tell you this from experience - last summer at Blizzard beach there was a group of girls walking around topless - and I mean girls in the 11 to probably 14 or 15 age. Well needless to say it made my children 9 amd 13 uncomfortable so I complained to a lifeguard. I was told because it was their custom and they were minors they were not allowed to tell them anything - only if the adults were to take their tops off were they allowed to ask them to leave - so I am not sure how they would handle that situation on the cruise.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #15
bdoyledimou
Pop Road Warrior -Travelling they way they did in the 60's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie321 View Post
I have not cruised Disney yet but if this is a big issue you may want to stay away from cruises or the beach for that fact - I am sorry but really it is a cruise. I can tell you this from experience - last summer at Blizzard beach there was a group of girls walking around topless - and I mean girls in the 11 to probably 14 or 15 age. Well needless to say it made my children 9 amd 13 uncomfortable so I complained to a lifeguard. I was told because it was their custom and they were minors they were not allowed to tell them anything - only if the adults were to take their tops off were they allowed to ask them to leave - so I am not sure how they would handle that situation on the cruise.
Don't come to Canada -- where woman have equal rights. You would be really uncomfortable here. Maybe one day the American woman will have equal rights too.. some day.
14th Trip with our Foster Kids!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: