Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #76
CamoMama
DIS Veteran

It still says 51% full. Not sure if it just hasn't updated or if this is accurate. I hope it stays that way until the middle of July!

Today was my rest day, didn't do much resting, but that's okay. Skipping the gym tomorrow in favor of emptying my garage into my backyard, taking a sledgehammer to the old rotten cabinets and work bench and adding metal shelves. I think that counts as strength training. Back to running on Tuesday!

Feb/Mar 2014 - DLR Diva Trip - GCH
Feb/Mar 2013 - DLR Diva Trip - HoJo's
July 2012 - DLR - Anaheim Carriage Inn (never again)
May 2012 - DLR - Motel 6 ~ Read my solo trip report here!
February 2012 - CBR
July 2010 - DLR - Embassy Suites
1978-1990 - DLR - multiple trips, all offsite
CamoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #77
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

I'm seeing a PT today for some hip pain. I've been off running for about 6 weeks hoping I just strained/pulled something that needed rest. Well, it's 80% better, but it still hurts some days. I am very leery of running on something I don't know if I am making it worse or not!

My motivation? Going to Disney. That means I have to run half marathons to get to go to Disney. So I *have* to be healthy enough to start real training in Sept. Hoping PT is able to assure me it's ok to start running again, and gives me stretches to help fix it.

I do the foam roller and that helped a ton, but since it lingered so long, I figure it's time to get it checked.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #78
liesel
DIS Veteran

I am still on the fence about doing this race. I want to preserve my legacy status and we will be moving to norcal this summer so this will be the cheaper alternative. OTOH, I also really want to do marathon weekend (just the half for me, I want to be able to enjoy the parks too!). Anyway, I am so tempted to do both, but we will have to see how the finances work out after we move.

I did want to respond to questions about where you have to get to in order to avoid being swept. We had specualted last year that it was once you get into DCA (mile 11.5 and the last water station) and that turned out to be the case. A friend of mine who was in the back was told that once she got to this point she would not be swept. I also paid attention to the road closure times that were posted in the race program as a general guideline for when I needed to be out of those areas.

DLR: many times as a local 1984-1995, June 2009, December 2009, June 2010, October 2010 (day trip), October 2011, January 2012 Tinker Bell Half Marathon, July/August 2012, August/September 2012, January 2013 Tinker Bell Half Marathon, March 2013, Dumbo Double Dare August/September 2013, Tinker Bell Half Marathon January 2014

WDW: 1980, September 2008, February 2014 Princess Half Marathon-first coast to coast

Upcoming DLR trips: August 2014 Dumbo Double Dare 2: Liesel Strikes Back and first 10K with my DS, November 2014 Avengers Half Marathon (because I have a problem saying no to inaugural events), January 2015 Star Wars Half Marathon (see Avengers), May 2015 Tinker Bell Half Marathon and birthday trip

liesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #79
LuvSulley
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim3339 View Post
How'd you do yesterday? I liked it, glad it wasn't too hot. Really liked going through Kelly Park, I haven't been there since I was a kid and being shaded really helped.
It took me 51 mins to finish the 5K. I hate that it took me that long! My goal is to finish the SF one in 30 minutes and run most of the way. How did you do? I liked the park too! I never been there before and thought it was neat to have stuff to look at during the run.

I signed up for the Tinker Bell half so I have a lot of work to do before then to get ready. Are you signed up for any other Bay Area runs? I'm thinking about signing up for the mini San Jose Rock N Roll (5 miles) and then the Hot Chocolate 15k.. it seems like a good way to help build up to a half. Is that what you did to prepare for your first half?
LuvSulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #80
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSulley View Post
It took me 51 mins to finish the 5K. I hate that it took me that long! My goal is to finish the SF one in 30 minutes and run most of the way. How did you do? I liked the park too! I never been there before and thought it was neat to have stuff to look at during the run.

I signed up for the Tinker Bell half so I have a lot of work to do before then to get ready. Are you signed up for any other Bay Area runs? I'm thinking about signing up for the mini San Jose Rock N Roll (5 miles) and then the Hot Chocolate 15k.. it seems like a good way to help build up to a half. Is that what you did to prepare for your first half?
You still finished, so that's an accomplishment! No RnR SJ for me. I work on 1st Street, and live by SCU, so I'm on a lot of the route almost everyday so I skip that one. I've done it twice, but the last one was my last, the course was just to boring for me, but is was my 1st 1/2. Double check on the Hot Chocolate run, I wanted to do the one in SF, but I thought I saw that they weren't able to do this year's. But you might be doing one somehwere else. I am doing the Color Run next month at the Stick. Super excited for that one, the videos get me so stoked. Just trying to figure out how I can keep the car clean when I drive home.

Doing other runs that increase in distance is a good way to get you ready for the 1/2. I just jumped from a 5k to the 1/2, and my 1st training program was 16 weeks w/ the gym. But now I just do 12 weeks.

Heads up if you haven't registered yet, reg jumped to 63% this morning.

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #81
LuvSulley
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim3339 View Post
You still finished, so that's an accomplishment! No RnR SJ for me. I work on 1st Street, and live by SCU, so I'm on a lot of the route almost everyday so I skip that one. I've done it twice, but the last one was my last, the course was just to boring for me, but is was my 1st 1/2. Double check on the Hot Chocolate run, I wanted to do the one in SF, but I thought I saw that they weren't able to do this year's. But you might be doing one somehwere else. I am doing the Color Run next month at the Stick. Super excited for that one, the videos get me so stoked. Just trying to figure out how I can keep the car clean when I drive home.

Doing other runs that increase in distance is a good way to get you ready for the 1/2. I just jumped from a 5k to the 1/2, and my 1st training program was 16 weeks w/ the gym. But now I just do 12 weeks.

Heads up if you haven't registered yet, reg jumped to 63% this morning.
Aww, thanks for letting me know about the SF Hot Chocolate run. I always go straight to the San Francisco site and they still have 11/10/12 as the race date even though the main page says it cancelled. Hope I can find something else.
LuvSulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #82
pirate_smiles
Watching the world through the eyes of my kids in California

Registered for Tinkerbell 1/2 in 2013. This will be my first half marathon. Running with 3 of my girlfriends :-)

We are doing the Jeff Galloway run/ walk training plan. We are up to running 8 minutes, walking 1 minute, with a distance of 8 miles.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #83
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_smiles View Post
Registered for Tinkerbell 1/2 in 2013. This will be my first half marathon. Running with 3 of my girlfriends :-)

We are doing the Jeff Galloway run/ walk training plan. We are up to running 8 minutes, walking 1 minute, with a distance of 8 miles.
You are going to rock it if you are already at 8 miles! Great job!

PT says I am fixable- should be back to running in a couple of weeks. Yay!

Lisa- thanks. I found a blog (maybe your friends?) where the bike lady told her around 11ish miles she was going to finish. That's pretty much the same at Princess, and I am really good with that. I do not expect to be in trouble as I should be able to run in the 13-14 min miles this year (last year I was still carrying a lot of baby weight) but it's always GREAT to hear that this is a "safe" zone.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

My No-Guilt Life
Old 06-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #84
DreamWeaver2002
Earning My Ears

Tinker will be my first Half Marathon

I am so excited because I have gotten registered and our villa is booked! Now for the distance training--I hope Tink will send me some Pixie Dust
Old 06-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #85
indygirl99
DIS Veteran

I just started C25K last week so I am in no way a runner but plan to be by the time Tink rolls around.

So my question is about the talk of the walk being to far from Hojo's to PP for the start. Wouldn't a 30 min walk be a good warmup for the run?

I know I will be the one crying after the run walking back but I figure I have all day to make it back and the occasional rest stop in the park will not be a hardship.

I plan on being there for 5 days so the entire stay at Hojo's is what one night at PP would cost even with the race discount on the room. Am I making a big mistake staying at Hojo's?

On another note I signed up for my first ever 5K.
It is an Ocean beach fun run/walk on 7/7. Of course I will run/walk as I will only be finishing week 3 of the C25K. But it is a good excuse to go to the coast for the weekend and I get to take a crabbing class on the friday. yum yum
Old 06-19-2012, 12:37 AM   #86
nisseriffic
Earning My Ears

Can't wait!

I am so so excited for this race!! Just need to book our room! This will be my first half, and I can't wait!! Was going to do the DL in Sept, but I waited too long to sign up, and it sold out.

Last edited by nisseriffic; 06-19-2012 at 12:57 AM. Reason: More to add!
nisseriffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:04 AM   #87
pirate_smiles
Watching the world through the eyes of my kids in California

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
You are going to rock it if you are already at 8 miles! Great job!
Thanks! Not too shabby for just starting to run since January. Totally credit the Galloway plan for helping me be successful

Quote:
Originally Posted by indygirl99 View Post
I just started C25K last week so I am in no way a runner but plan to be by the time Tink rolls around.

So my question is about the talk of the walk being to far from Hojo's to PP for the start. Wouldn't a 30 min walk be a good warmup for the run?

I know I will be the one crying after the run walking back but I figure I have all day to make it back and the occasional rest stop in the park will not be a hardship.

I plan on being there for 5 days so the entire stay at Hojo's is what one night at PP would cost even with the race discount on the room. Am I making a big mistake staying at Hojo's?

It is an Ocean beach fun run/walk on 7/7. Of course I will run/walk as I will only be finishing week 3 of the C25K. But it is a good excuse to go to the coast for the weekend and I get to take a crabbing class on the friday. yum yum
I was thinking the same thing about it being a good warm up LOL! We are staying at the Fairfield Inn (using points) so will have a warm up walk too! I don't see it being much of a big deal to walk that far.

YAAAAY! For your first 5k!
Old 06-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #88
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

It's not a huge deal, honestly. At the Princess in WDW you have no choice- you end up walking about 30-45 min total just to get to the race start from the parking lot where the buses unload you. 10-15 to the staging area, then another 20-30 to the corrals. It does kinda suck, though, I won't lie. I hate that walk.

For me, it's just a preference. I want to save my legs the extra walking if I can. Plus after the race, I am REALLY looking for the shortest route between me and the ice bath that I can find. (ok, I'll admit, the hot tub. Had a much better recovery with the hot tub last year than the ice bath the year before) Plus if I don't have the 30 extra minutes to walk, I can sleep in a tad bit more if possible.

It's not a BAD thing to walk 30 min before you get to the starting line- or even to walk back after (good for the legs to keep moving) It's just that *I* don't want to do it.

I would be at HoJo over PP because of the cost too. No questions. It's great to be right there at the start (had 2 friends stay there for the race last year and they LOVED it) but the cost... oh man, the cost!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 06-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #89
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by indygirl99 View Post

I started with C25K in Feb or March and loved the program! I'll be runing my 2nd 5K race on the 30th and hope to improve my time over my first one.

As for Hojo's I'll be staying there as well as are quite a few people on the WISH thread. Love Hojo's and the price couldn't be beat. And I'm with you, I'm thinking it will be a good warm up. The trick will be staying warm once we're in the corrals and waiting for the start!

Kirsten
kirstie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #90
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
It's not a BAD thing to walk 30 min before you get to the starting line- or even to walk back after (good for the legs to keep moving) It's just that *I* don't want to do it.
That's me too! If I wasn't running the weekend before and need all of my legs I can salvage, I would be staying at HoJo's too.

But the one big downside to staying over on Harbor is that we have to go through security on the way back. I really, really hate that part, especially if the lines are long. I get that they need to check bags, but we're not going into the park, we just want to get back to our hotel, take a shower and relax for a few minutes. And they will check our bags even though they are see through and can tell we just ran a race. I keep telling them in the post race surveys that they need to add a runners' only line so we can just keep going.

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: