Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #826
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstie101 View Post
Hi everyone! Just wanted to check in real quick.
Looks like everyones training is going pretty good! I can't believe how close we are getting!!!! I'm on day 5 of resting a pulled muscle. I'm hoping another 5 days or less will take care of the issue cause I need to get my mileage back up! I haven't had a long run in almost a month now! Eeek! Training for a half is harder than I imagined...not that I thought it would be easy, but it didn't dawn on me that injuries could/would happen so often and be the cause of so many set backs!
I hear ya. Training for the half is hard enough but throw in any injuries and it REALLY gets hard.

I'm doing better - ran over 2 miles today with my kids and while it wasn't fast, it also was NOT painful. I'm happy about this!

I need to do a long run this weekend. In theory it should be 10 to make up from last week, but I'm thinking more like 6-7 for leg purposes. Just trying to be smart about this. Don't want to over do it! Even if I follow the Princess training plan I can do Tink and be fine with a few adjustments. So I'm in an ok place.

I won't be as fast as I hoped, but it will be ok.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #827
Shananana
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstie101 View Post
Hi everyone! Just wanted to check in real quick.
Looks like everyones training is going pretty good! I can't believe how close we are getting!!!! I'm on day 5 of resting a pulled muscle. I'm hoping another 5 days or less will take care of the issue cause I need to get my mileage back up! I haven't had a long run in almost a month now! Eeek! Training for a half is harder than I imagined...not that I thought it would be easy, but it didn't dawn on me that injuries could/would happen so often and be the cause of so many set backs!
Yeah... injuries are the worst. I've found that the foam roller makes me cry but is extremely helpful in stretching out muscles.

The other thing is I keep telling myself not to push myself. I know I'm training, but as you know, if I push myself too much, I won't be able to train at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
I hear ya. Training for the half is hard enough but throw in any injuries and it REALLY gets hard.

I'm doing better - ran over 2 miles today with my kids and while it wasn't fast, it also was NOT painful. I'm happy about this!
Running with kids! It's something that puts things in perspective. I can't run fast when I do it, but I definately get a work out.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #828
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Yes! It's the entire freaking kindergarten. Lol. We all ran together and since I had my 18 month old they all had to "help" by holding onto the stroller. Oy. Repeat with the 2nd grade. My 4th grader runs much later and I didn't make that one

Was a good workout.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

My No-Guilt Life
Old 11-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #829
indygirl99
DIS Veteran

Went out for a long run today since my running group is doing a magic mile this weekend.

I had so much fun. Had a squirrel shake water down on me from the tree both going out and coming back. It was so very funny if somewhat cold.

I will have to do better looking for a bathroom for those long runs. I thought I could make it to the club but ended up at the gas station so as not to embarass myself or anyone else and the owner was not happy that all I bought was a lottery ticket. Boy will he sing a different tune saturday when I win.

I think I also found my sweet spot. I really started enjoying myself at 4 miles. Who knew it would take the looong ones for me to figure that out.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #830
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Great job! I have to get past 2 and sometimes 3, then I usually enjoy it too.

My No-Guilt Life
Old 11-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #831
rosermama
DIS Veteran

Just got back from a 3 mile walk where I averaged 14:55 a mile. Feeling good that next week when I can run I can do 4 miles in about that average or better. Feeling better that I can do the Tinkerbell with no problems! !!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note using DISBoards
rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #832
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Great job! You'll get there!

I did 2 with the kids at school and then 2.5 today. Hoping to go 6+ tomorrow. Would love to hit 8 but I'm not surety leg will go there. We shall see!

Switched to 3:1 and it feels fine but I'm averaging a good 30-40 seconds slower per mile. I'm not happy about it but hopefully it will get better

My No-Guilt Life
Old 11-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #833
Peace.love.mickey
DIS Veteran

IN!!!!!!!!

1/2-Anabella!!!! Sooo excited to do it again!!!
Old 11-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #834
indygirl99
DIS Veteran

Went out with my running group today. Ran 1 mile to the highschool, did some warmups then ran our magic mile and then ran back to the cars.

Of course living in the Pacific NorthWet it would be raining for our run, nice soggy, cold, rain.

I managed to do 15:15 for my magic mile. Not bad but I do need to pick it up before Tinkerbell or I will be meeting the balloon ladies.

DH, who is not a runner, came with me and did 12:08 for his mile.
Can I say he ran on the track team in school (40 years ago) so that is why he did better than me. .

I will be working a little more on speed this week since last week I worked on hills.

Now I am off to a girls night out fashion show of the new sports fashion offerings for 2013 for women courtsey of my DH. I think he just wanted to watch the football game in peace I'm not fond of his college team.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #835
lilybell08
Earning My Ears

I did the 10 miles I was supposed to do last weekend today. If my slow easy pace is really 2 minutes slower than my race pace then I will be okay. Otherwise, I'm not going to make it past the sweepers. My weekday runs are in the 14:30 realm but my long runs are so much slower. I'm so jealous of those of you who could walk within the required pace.
lilybell08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:03 PM   #836
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

Leg feels good and I think it's ready for a run. You ladies are inspiring! Hopefully I'll have sometime, and maybe even a break in the weather, tomorrow to do an easy 3 miler!

Kirsten
kirstie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #837
Jeffreelancer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybell08 View Post
I did the 10 miles I was supposed to do last weekend today. If my slow easy pace is really 2 minutes slower than my race pace then I will be okay. Otherwise, I'm not going to make it past the sweepers. My weekday runs are in the 14:30 realm but my long runs are so much slower. I'm so jealous of those of you who could walk within the required pace.
Your long workouts should always be at a pace 1-2 minutes slower than your expected race pace. Long workouts are all about time on your feet and speed does not matter. I have been doing all my workouts at a 16:00 minute pace and I completed a half in October at a 13:20 pace. Do you mid-week workouts at a faster more intense pace and you will be fine.
Jeffreelancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #838
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

I did 9 today. I ran out if time for that extra mile to get back on plan but I think I'm in a good spot for now.

If my long run is really 2 min faster than I'll be looking at a killer PR. Buuuutttt I doubt it. Lol. The idea of maintaining that speed for 13 miles seems crazy! But I know that's the rule... So here's hoping. I did this run pretty slow on purpose too (on treadmill) and came in just shy if 13:30 average. I guess we shall see in January!

Happy thanksgiving everyone. Hope you get a turkey trot in!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 11-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #839
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace.love.mickey View Post
IN!!!!!!!!

1/2-Anabella!!!! Sooo excited to do it again!!!
Got you down o the list!

Did the Awesome 80s race yesterday and holy.cow. I thought people dressed up for Disney runs, but they've got nothing on yesterday. I can literally count on my hands, and no feet, the people that weren't dressed up, in neon or themed shirts, it was so much fun. And Patty!! I totally thought of you the whole time! The race was in Golden Gate Park, kinda like a smaller Central Park and it was hilly! It reminded me of your comment about avoiding SF races b/c of the hills. Loved the course though even though it was hillier than I thought, and this 1 took you where I haven't been before and it was really pretty. So much fun!!

As for me and running ~ this is my 1st big week. Tomorrow 5-7, Thur is 9-10, Sat is 7 and Sun is 17-18. Little worried, but if I can make it through this week and do the mileage I'm supposed to, then it'll make me a lot more confident for the next month and big mileage weeks.

Hope everyone has a great week and a good Thanksgiving!

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #840
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Hahaha! Too funny. I might do a hilly 5k for fun, but not a half! The 10k I like to do here in Austin has some big long hills. It's a lot of fun but last year I had my lethal weapon moment: I'm getting too old for this s***. My legs do not like them at all

Glad you had a good run!

My body has forgiven me- ITB feels fine. I'm so relieved.

My No-Guilt Life

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: