Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #811
lilybell08
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13

I feel so awful that I introduced myself a little while back and then never checked back in. I do have a question for anyone familiar with the Tink Galloway training though. I set out to do my 10 mile run today and made it only about half way because of dizziness. Would it be okay if I tried the 10 miles again next weekend even though it was two weeks ago today that I did 8.5? I'm not sure what to do or how to move around my long runs for the remainder of training. Sorry for being such a weirdo about this. I am a beginning runner who is on the slower end and is very concerned about training to outrun the sweepers.
lilybell08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #812
kim3339
DIS Veteran
 
kim3339's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,388

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybell08 View Post
I feel so awful that I introduced myself a little while back and then never checked back in. I do have a question for anyone familiar with the Tink Galloway training though. I set out to do my 10 mile run today and made it only about half way because of dizziness. Would it be okay if I tried the 10 miles again next weekend even though it was two weeks ago today that I did 8.5? I'm not sure what to do or how to move around my long runs for the remainder of training. Sorry for being such a weirdo about this. I am a beginning runner who is on the slower end and is very concerned about training to outrun the sweepers.
Doing 10 next weekend shouldn't be a problem as long as you keep your running up the rest of this week to keep your cardio up. Just do the 10 in place of whatever distance your long run next weekend was supposed to be. Then you can jump back onto the schedule the following weekend. And don't worry about missing 1 weekend! It happens and you still have a long way out ~ if you're doing 10 next weekend, you'll do great in Tink!

And speaking of missing long runs, I am so glad tomorrow is a fed holiday and there will be less people on the road, b/c I could not get my run in this morning and need to go out tomorrow. I am so sore from that Krav Maga class yesterday, I'm wearing my compression socks as we speak. Couldn't even go to the gym this morning! But the class, as hard as it was, was awesome!
__________________

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #813
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran
 
kindakrazy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,201

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
Rawthreads.org


Great shirts! Great customer service too. Soooo soft!

Thanks! I think....my credit card does not thank you! lol!
__________________
Sarah

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

My 2007 WDW pre-trippie is all grown up - its a trippie now!

July 1994 - Disneymoon at Dixie Landings Feb 1996 - Dixie Landings October 1999 - Belle's first trip Dixie Landings Feb 2001 - Tink's first trip Dixie Landings Sept 2007 - POP with free dining! Dec 2008 - POP July 2011 - Disneyland! Jan 2012 - POP

Up next - Tink 1/2 marathon and Princess 1/2 marathon Coast2Coast baby! Uh oh - Dumbo Double Dare
kindakrazy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #814
longhorns2
DIS Veteran
 
longhorns2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin-ish, TX
Posts: 1,802

Ha! I hear ya. They took the "good girl" shirts down or I would have been sporting a few more new items next week.

So after a week on the elliptical I felt like I *had* to run... so I did. I got on the treadmill with a new plan. Instead of my quick intervals which gave me a lot of starting and stopping 30:30, I went to 4:1 for my run today. In order to do that I had to slow way down- and can really only truly pace myself on a treadmill. So that's what I did. Slow sucks, but it had to be done.

I went 5 miles pain free. My leg still had tightness- I felt it, it wasn't "normal" but I was NOT in pain. My plan was to try for 3, but it felt ok so I went for 5. I could have done more (technically needed a 10 miler today- oy) but was afraid of pushing it. I've been stretching and rolling and icing all day and it feels ok. Not normal, but not like I did anything to make it worse! I call that success! lol I'm sure my PT wouldn't agree, but man, I just can't stop running for 6 weeks at this point. Tink is too close!

So I think the elliptical + my longer slower intervals will be the game plan here on out. I'll do my short "runs" on the elliptical and then every other week do the long runs on the treadmill or outside if my leg is feeling good.

All this is contingent on my leg not hurting worse tomorrow! If it hurts tomorrow, then I'm off to the PT again and just going to have to get it fixed. But fingers crossed!

I was slower than my usual time by about 30 seconds per mile. So it wasn't a terrible crash and burn on the time, but I'm not happy about it either. No one wants to get slower. But I suppose if my choice is slow or not running, I'll take slow!
__________________
Patty, aka Mommy to DS 1 DS 2 DD 1 DS 3 and DD 2

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #815
Thundergod
Mouseketeer
 
Thundergod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
Ha! I hear ya. They took the "good girl" shirts down or I would have been sporting a few more new items next week.

So after a week on the elliptical I felt like I *had* to run... so I did. I got on the treadmill with a new plan. Instead of my quick intervals which gave me a lot of starting and stopping 30:30, I went to 4:1 for my run today. In order to do that I had to slow way down- and can really only truly pace myself on a treadmill. So that's what I did. Slow sucks, but it had to be done.

I went 5 miles pain free. My leg still had tightness- I felt it, it wasn't "normal" but I was NOT in pain. My plan was to try for 3, but it felt ok so I went for 5. I could have done more (technically needed a 10 miler today- oy) but was afraid of pushing it. I've been stretching and rolling and icing all day and it feels ok. Not normal, but not like I did anything to make it worse! I call that success! lol I'm sure my PT wouldn't agree, but man, I just can't stop running for 6 weeks at this point. Tink is too close!

So I think the elliptical + my longer slower intervals will be the game plan here on out. I'll do my short "runs" on the elliptical and then every other week do the long runs on the treadmill or outside if my leg is feeling good.

All this is contingent on my leg not hurting worse tomorrow! If it hurts tomorrow, then I'm off to the PT again and just going to have to get it fixed. But fingers crossed!

I was slower than my usual time by about 30 seconds per mile. So it wasn't a terrible crash and burn on the time, but I'm not happy about it either. No one wants to get slower. But I suppose if my choice is slow or not running, I'll take slow!


Did you say treadmill? My how I hate treadmills. I find it harder on my knees than running on concrete with Tanya Harding hired bullys hitting my knees with bats.
Treadmills for me not only hurt but just the concentration of staying in place wears me out. I can run a half marathon and feel better than running 2 miles on a darn treadmill.

Trust me. Stay with the eliptical program and do a real distance run once a week and you will be good to go.
Thundergod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:50 AM   #816
longhorns2
DIS Veteran
 
longhorns2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin-ish, TX
Posts: 1,802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundergod View Post
Did you say treadmill? My how I hate treadmills. I find it harder on my knees than running on concrete with Tanya Harding hired bullys hitting my knees with bats.
Treadmills for me not only hurt but just the concentration of staying in place wears me out. I can run a half marathon and feel better than running 2 miles on a darn treadmill.

Trust me. Stay with the eliptical program and do a real distance run once a week and you will be good to go.
I'm not a TM hater as long as I have good TV distraction! I have to be in the right frame of mind to spend hours on it, but shorter distances are totally doable. During training I usually have a DVR stocked with good running shows. Yesterday was Glee (yay music!) Totally works for me- and I am a MAJOR mental runner. I get bored pretty easily.

Treadmill at the gym- no go. At home with my own shows- I don't find it harder on my knees at all, but I don't find outside particularly hard on them either.

So this morning--- I feel GOOD! Less pain today than when I woke up yesterday, so it's an improvement for sure. I'd even say no pain, just some tightness that should be able to be rolled out. I have a tightness up in my groin that is the only area I would say feels different than my good leg, but I dont think that was the run. I did some leg workouts on Saturday and I might have stressed something a bit there because I felt it yesterday morning.

Anyway---- success! Thank you for the elliptical tip! I think that's going to get me through Tink. I am going to do elliptical during the week for 3-4 miles, then do one real run a week, progressively longer each week. Should put me in ok shape for Tink. I'm guessing slower than I planned since my speed work won't be there, but hey, I'll take it.
__________________
Patty, aka Mommy to DS 1 DS 2 DD 1 DS 3 and DD 2

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #817
rosermama
DIS Veteran
 
rosermama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,193

Can someone explain to me the way the start up works do they stager the corrals or does the whole go at once?

I am training at about 15 min mile and am worried if I need to focus on better than that to account for being at the back and the slow start.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note using DISBoards
rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #818
kim3339
DIS Veteran
 
kim3339's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,388

They do have corrals. I think they go off every 5-7 minutes. The 3:30 time limit does start until the last person crosses the start line. If you have a race time up until the expo, you can show them at the expo and get moved up a corral or 2. If you don't have any race times, make sure you're at the front of your corral and that will give you some leeway. Also, somebody mentioned somewhere back in the thread that if you get past a certain point, between 9 1/2 & 10 1/2 (not sure exactly where) they'll let you finish.
__________________

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #819
rosermama
DIS Veteran
 
rosermama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,193

Next corral question which may have already been covered. My husband and I are running the race together but not as a team. Partly because we signed up at different times and my husband is running for a charity.

We both put 3 hrs on our expected time to finish. What the chance we will have the same corral?

If we don't can they put us together?

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note using DISBoards
rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #820
kim3339
DIS Veteran
 
kim3339's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,388

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosermama View Post
Next corral question which may have already been covered. My husband and I are running the race together but not as a team. Partly because we signed up at different times and my husband is running for a charity.

We both put 3 hrs on our expected time to finish. What the chance we will have the same corral?

If we don't can they put us together?
You'll probably be in the same corral. The only way you might not would be in there were so many 3 hour time registrations that they had to split up the times. They did that w/ DL this year. If you are in separate corrals, the person in the higher corral can move down to the person w/ the lower corral, but not vice versa. Also, don't think it'll be a problem w/ the 3 hour time, but w/ Tink, the earliest corral men can start in is c even they have a lower time (the whole femal race thing).
__________________

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #821
rosermama
DIS Veteran
 
rosermama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim3339

You'll probably be in the same corral. The only way you might not would be in there were so many 3 hour time registrations that they had to split up the times. They did that w/ DL this year. If you are in separate corrals, the person in the higher corral can move down to the person w/ the lower corral, but not vice versa. Also, don't think it'll be a problem w/ the 3 hour time, but w/ Tink, the earliest corral men can start in is c even they have a lower time (the whole femal race thing).
Ok great I know he can run faster than me but he is doing this for me so I don't have to be alone, so he wants to start and finish with me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note using DISBoards
rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #822
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner
 
MinnieDiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oak Harbor, WA
Posts: 1,667

Ok, how many here are going for a coast to coast and doing the princess? I noticed there are still slots available and am trying to convince my husband I need a solo trip.....
__________________



Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #823
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran
 
kindakrazy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,201

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieDiva View Post
Ok, how many here are going for a coast to coast and doing the princess? I noticed there are still slots available and am trying to convince my husband I need a solo trip.....
I'm doing it! Solo too!
__________________
Sarah

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

My 2007 WDW pre-trippie is all grown up - its a trippie now!

July 1994 - Disneymoon at Dixie Landings Feb 1996 - Dixie Landings October 1999 - Belle's first trip Dixie Landings Feb 2001 - Tink's first trip Dixie Landings Sept 2007 - POP with free dining! Dec 2008 - POP July 2011 - Disneyland! Jan 2012 - POP

Up next - Tink 1/2 marathon and Princess 1/2 marathon Coast2Coast baby! Uh oh - Dumbo Double Dare
kindakrazy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:54 PM   #824
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner
 
MinnieDiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oak Harbor, WA
Posts: 1,667

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindakrazy2

I'm doing it! Solo too!
Well, I just registered for the race. I guess I'm in...
__________________



Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #825
kirstie101
DIS Veteran
 
kirstie101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,185

Hi everyone! Just wanted to check in real quick.
Looks like everyones training is going pretty good! I can't believe how close we are getting!!!! I'm on day 5 of resting a pulled muscle. I'm hoping another 5 days or less will take care of the issue cause I need to get my mileage back up! I haven't had a long run in almost a month now! Eeek! Training for a half is harder than I imagined...not that I thought it would be easy, but it didn't dawn on me that injuries could/would happen so often and be the cause of so many set backs!
__________________




Kirsten
kirstie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: