Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #796
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundergod View Post
I am going to pass along this for those of you who have issues with shin splints, foot pain etc.

I ran my first half marathon last April in the OKC Memorial marathon. Wanna know how I trained up to the month before the marathon? An eliptical.
I have suffered through knee and foot pain for years while running and decided I didn't wanna chance it while training so I used an eliptical.
I did an hour four to five days a week and at the end of each month did an hour and a half. When I did my first actual run I knocked off 10 miles at a 9 minute mile clip. Not record breaking speed but still good enough for me.

Then from mid March to mid April I used the eliptical as I had before except for once a week I would do an actual run. After my first 10 mile run I did the entire 13.1 the next three weeks. My pace was just over 9 minute miles.

I ended up running the half in okc in just over 2 hours... Took me a little longer because I started in the back quite a ways and spent the first hour trying to get through a huge crowd of runners/walkers.

So, just my opinion that if you have issues with pain you might wanna try training as I did. It's how I am going to do it again for this coming April
Interesting!!!! Keep all the training tips coming ladies! I know lots of us are working through injuries right now and I know I can use all the advice/tips/hints I can get!

Kirsten
kirstie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #797
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananana View Post
It was about 2 days prior to race day that we finally got a course and the package pick up info. HTH!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
Grrrrr.... It band is hurting again. Trying not to freak but no way can I train on this. I mean, I can but it just makes it worse, so not what I need to be doing. Going to try to see PT and get it worked on so I can salvage Tink. I was really hopeful for a huge PR (trust me, I had lots of room to improve!) but now I don't know how it's going to happen

Totally bummed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundergod View Post
I ran my first half marathon last April in the OKC Memorial marathon. Wanna know how I trained up to the month before the marathon? An eliptical.
Patty ~ that was going to be my suggestion too. It's the same motion for your legs but w/o the pounding and stress of the road. Another idea would be swimming. Not the same motions, but there is no stress on any of the joints/muscles. Also, it works wonders for cardio ~ in the 1 hr once per week during the summer when I did it, it was crazy how fast you notice the changes. I know you've mentioned see a dr and a pt, but do they have any sort of braces or wraps that might be able to help?

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #798
rosermama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundergod
I am going to pass along this for those of you who have issues with shin splints, foot pain etc.

I have suffered through knee and foot pain for years while running and decided I didn't wanna chance it while training so I used an eliptical.
I did an hour four to five days a week and at the end of each month did an hour and a half. When I did my first actual run I knocked off 10 miles at a 9 minute mile clip. Not record breaking speed but still good enough for me.

Then from mid March to mid April I used the eliptical as I had before except for once a week I would do an actual run. After my first 10 mile run I did the entire 13.1 the next three weeks. My pace was just over 9 minute miles.

I ended up running the half in okc in just over 2 hours... Took me a little longer because I started in the back quite a ways and spent the first hour trying to get through a huge crowd of runners/walkers.

So, just my opinion that if you have issues with pain you might wanna try training as I did. It's how I am going to do it again for this coming April
Thanks this is so great!!! I think I might add this to my crazy 8 week training once the Dr releases me. This might be better for me cause my joints won't be liking all the pounding on the pavement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note using DISBoards
rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #799
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

We didn't address braces but she had mentioned KT tape at one point. But she was able to fix me so easily (took about 3 weeks before I was totally pain free) that I think we hoped it wouldn't be needed. But that might be an option too

I have to call about getting in again. I'm not sure if I can refer myself or if I have to see pcp first so I need to check on that.

The PT felt awesome last time i did it. I just can't not work out. So I need to get this on track ASAP.

Going to try to add swimming and elliptical and get back on track with my leg exercises from PT. I was feeling so good that I hadn't been focusing on them as much. Now I see that's not an option.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #800
Thundergod
Mouseketeer

one slight issue I need to mention with using an eliptical. You're foot might wanna fall asleep. Mine does after a half hour. Don't hesitate to step off and get the feeling back. Typically I just let it fall asleep until I can't stand it. Sure beats the pain running leaves me with over the next four or five days
Thundergod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #801
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Did 2 pain free miles on elliptical

Yay!

Great tip- thanks again

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

My No-Guilt Life
Old 11-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #802
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Did 2 pain free miles on elliptical

Yay!

Great tip- thanks again
So happy that worked for you!!!

Got another email from Raw Threads today. They are determined to take all the $ I'm trying to save for WDW & Tink!! They've started the "good girls" shirts. So far they have a yellow one for Belle and blue one for Snow. No Cinderella or Auroa yet, but if they do...

Good luck w/ training runs this weekend girls!! Trying my 1st Krav Maga fitness class this Sat, really excited, but kinda scared not knowing what to expect. Hopefully it'll be fun and I'm not too sore for Sun's long 1.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #803
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim3339 View Post

Got another email from Raw Threads today. They are determined to take all the $ I'm trying to save for WDW & Tink!! They've started the "good girls" shirts. So far they have a yellow one for Belle and blue one for Snow. No Cinderella or Auroa yet, but if they do...

Good luck w/ training runs this weekend girls!! Trying my 1st Krav Maga fitness class this Sat, really excited, but kinda scared not knowing what to expect. Hopefully it'll be fun and I'm not too sore for Sun's long 1.
I saw them on Twitter. ADORABLE. I bought the Castle to Castle one- have you seen it? And the Cheshire Cat shirt. Love the way these shirts feel!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 11-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #804
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim3339 View Post

I LOVE the Belle and Snow White ones. How does their sizing really run? I think the XL says its a 14 and I'm a 16 currently....I'm working on getting down to a 14 by Christams but I'm scared to order.

Kirsten
Old 11-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #805
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

I ordered XL in the v-necks and they are totally comfy. Not too right at all. I wear a L or XL in most women's shirts- 14 or 16 depending on cut

My No-Guilt Life
Old 11-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #806
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I ordered XL in the v-necks and they are totally comfy. Not too right at all. I wear a L or XL in most women's shirts- 14 or 16 depending on cut
Awesome to know! Thanks!

Kirsten
Old 11-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #807
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I saw them on Twitter. ADORABLE. I bought the Castle to Castle one- have you seen it? And the Cheshire Cat shirt. Love the way these shirts feel!
Saw the Castle to Castle 1. Have to see at Tink which 1 I like better ~ the Disney 1's or the Threads. Although I could get the C2C Dis sweatshirt and the Threads t-shirt... We'll have to see how good I am at the WDW Expo the week before. I love the feel of them too! They are so soft. I wore my Hook 1 when I was in DL during Halloweentime when it was really hot and it was a perfect shirt. And I love the little "run" and character image at the bottom of the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstie101 View Post
I LOVE the Belle and Snow White ones. How does their sizing really run? I think the XL says its a 14 and I'm a 16 currently....I'm working on getting down to a 14 by Christams but I'm scared to order.
Quote:
Agree w/ Patty, their sizing is good. I'm usually an XL and the XL fit great ~ not too tight and noot too loose. And I love that the sleeves are a bit longer than the traditional cap sleeves that you get w/ most women's cut tops. But then, I'm self-conscience (sp?) about my arms, if only running could shape them like my legs...

Old 11-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #808
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran

Help a girl out here - what shirts are we talking about? It sounds like I may need one!

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

My 2007 WDW pre-trippie is all grown up - its a trippie now!

July 1994 - Disneymoon at Dixie Landings Feb 1996 - Dixie Landings October 1999 - Belle's first trip Dixie Landings Feb 2001 - Tink's first trip Dixie Landings Sept 2007 - POP with free dining! Dec 2008 - POP July 2011 - Disneyland! Jan 2012 - POP

Up next - Tink 1/2 marathon and Princess 1/2 marathon Coast2Coast baby! Uh oh - Dumbo Double Dare
kindakrazy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #809
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Rawthreads.org

Great shirts! Great customer service too. Soooo soft!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 11-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #810
indygirl99
DIS Veteran

Okay still learning to love those hills. Been doing my weekday runs to include some hills but today did my long run with my Galloway group and we ran Tewilliger.

This lovely road in Portland goes up and up and up and did I mention it goes UP. We had a 5 mile out and back planned, I made it slightly over 2 up and then turned around and came back. So ended up being 4 for me but I can say I did much better than my disasterous run at the gold course.

The good thing about a road that goes up endlessly is that when you turn around to go back it is DOWNhill.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: