Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #646
BabieDuckie
Earning My Ears

I did the 5.5 miles over the weekend running intervals at 2:2. I've been meaning to up my running interval but just when I think I'm having a good running day, the next one is just horrible and I feel like I'm never going to get any faster than doing 2:2. My pace is improving at this interval though, which makes me think it's time to up the running by at least 30 seconds. Maybe this week I'll give it a shot, but we're supposed to have 100° weather this week. Argh!

If I'm able to increase my average pace to fall within the minimum for the race, maybe I'll just keep training at this interval. I don't know, what do you guys think?
Old 10-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #647
LuvSulley
Mouseketeer

I did my 5.5 miles on Saturday.. took me 1 hour and 40 mins. I kept alternating between 3:1.5 and 5:2.5 intervals but I skipped/cut down a lot of the run time and just walked after the 4th mile. I normally don't bring water with me and that was mistake huge mistake! I ordered a belt from Amazon for the next long time.. I hope the long runs get easier!

I also ordered a Jillian Michaels yoga DVD for strength training
LuvSulley is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #648
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabieDuckie View Post
I did the 5.5 miles over the weekend running intervals at 2:2. I've been meaning to up my running interval but just when I think I'm having a good running day, the next one is just horrible and I feel like I'm never going to get any faster than doing 2:2. My pace is improving at this interval though, which makes me think it's time to up the running by at least 30 seconds. Maybe this week I'll give it a shot, but we're supposed to have 100° weather this week. Argh!

If I'm able to increase my average pace to fall within the minimum for the race, maybe I'll just keep training at this interval. I don't know, what do you guys think?
I personally fully intend on running intervals the entire race. I'll start out with 2:1's which is what Im most comfortable at. After the half way point I'll let myself run for longer stretches if its feeling right. I recover so much better when I stick to intervals. And my time with intervals is suprisingly close to my time without intervals.

Kirsten
kirstie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #649
BabieDuckie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstie101 View Post
I personally fully intend on running intervals the entire race. I'll start out with 2:1's which is what Im most comfortable at. After the half way point I'll let myself run for longer stretches if its feeling right. I recover so much better when I stick to intervals. And my time with intervals is suprisingly close to my time without intervals.
This makes me feel better! I know running intervals is common for races, but I just wanted to make sure that my intervals weren't too unreasonable. Good idea too... I should decrease my walking interval and see if that might work instead of increasing my running interval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSulley View Post
I did my 5.5 miles on Saturday.. took me 1 hour and 40 mins. I kept alternating between 3:1.5 and 5:2.5 intervals but I skipped/cut down a lot of the run time and just walked after the 4th mile. I normally don't bring water with me and that was mistake huge mistake! I ordered a belt from Amazon for the next long time.. I hope the long runs get easier!

I also ordered a Jillian Michaels yoga DVD for strength training
Ooh! I forgot to mention that I did the same thing by mistake, forgot to bring water. I went looking around town for the belt that I want but couldn't find it, so it looks like I'll be ordering online too before the 7 mile long run in a couple of weeks.

That also reminds me, I found some yoga stretches to do after a run on Pinterest. I have yet to try it out. Maybe after the 3 miles this Saturday I'll give it a shot and see if I can notice any difference in recovery.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #650
jessicaerv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedoc View Post
Keep trying. You're doing great and you'll make it. Remember your intervals and you won't feel it.

Thanks for the encouragement, Bonedoc.

I postponed my Saturday run to Sunday, and then was worried that I'd blow it off altogether (my standard MO) so I asked my neighbor to run with me to keep me on track. I didn't think until later that this neighbor is a man, about 6 inches taller than I (thus a much longer stride), who has been running almost daily for a couple years and is in excellent condition.

We started out on the route I had mapped and immediately I blew my pace by trying to keep up with him, although I know he was running as slow as he could to not outrun me. Then I was so embarrassed by running out of steam that I blew my intervals and couldn't get myself back on track. However, I was gamely running some kind of haphazard interval when I felt my hip muscle get strained. Perfect excuse to lay up and walk the rest of the way. BOO ME!!!

I did manage a decent walking pace though; the average pace over the just over 4 miles was 16:30.

I think I'll put in a longer run this weekend than the Galloway training calls for, both to make up for this last weekend and to compensate for the following weekend where I'll have to shorten the 7 mile run because I'll be heading to DLR for MHP (). Have to get the miles in somehow.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #651
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

I'm doing 1:1 or 30:30 intervals. I run faster overall with the short intervals. When I increase my run to 2:1 or more, I actually slow down overall

The perfect interval is what works for YOU. I'll probably do 1:1 at the race. I'm getting faster at that interval and feel great so no reason to mess with it!

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #652
lilybell08
Earning My Ears

Hi, everyone! As you can tell from my post count I have never posted here before. I hope that it's okay if I join you all here. I found out in March that Disneyland has a Tinker Bell half and I have been working hard ever since in order to finish the race. I am so excited but I am starting to get really nervous. My training has not been going well lately. I can't even make it through a mile doing 30:30 because my right shin and calf start hurting really bad. This past Saturday I ended up walking the whole 5.5 miles scheduled on Galloway's plan way below the required 16mm pace. I am trying some shin strengthening exercises and really hoping that it will help and I can get back to running soon. Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and hope that it's okay to join in here. Neither myself nor my husband have ever been to Disneyland or Disney World so we are so excited to take a mini vacation for the race and take our two little ones.
lilybell08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #653
Jeffreelancer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybell08 View Post
Hi, everyone! As you can tell from my post count I have never posted here before. I hope that it's okay if I join you all here. I found out in March that Disneyland has a Tinker Bell half and I have been working hard ever since in order to finish the race. I am so excited but I am starting to get really nervous. My training has not been going well lately. I can't even make it through a mile doing 30:30 because my right shin and calf start hurting really bad. This past Saturday I ended up walking the whole 5.5 miles scheduled on Galloway's plan way below the required 16mm pace. I am trying some shin strengthening exercises and really hoping that it will help and I can get back to running soon. Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and hope that it's okay to join in here. Neither myself nor my husband have ever been to Disneyland or Disney World so we are so excited to take a mini vacation for the race and take our two little ones.
You may want to look into using calf sleeves that are designed to help with shin splints. I can't post an actual HTML link since I don't have enough posts, but you can do a search on the following term to find the sleeves.

Zensah shin/calf compression sleeves

I have had problems with shin splints and I used these during a race for the first time and I had no problems with my shins and I PR'd the race. My wife has calf cramping problems and the sleeves helped with that as well.
Jeffreelancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #654
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

Quote:
When I started upping my mileage back in the spring I had a lot of trouble with shin splints. I went to my local running store and they did recommend I use more supportive shoe. What they also recommended was rolling my calves out to loosen them up. I bought the (not cheap) Trigger Point Therapy system (check amazon) and started using it daily. I now use it after runs and I try to remember to use it on other days as well. I think it has made a huge difference for me. I also bought compression socks. I dont actually wear mine during my runs but I do wear them after. http://www.procompression.com/ is one company that sells them. And they almost always have coupon codes out there so dont pay full price. And dont underestimate the power of resting! I did a 10K a few weeks back and really aggrivated my left shin/calf. I took two weeks off from running, just did walking instead, iced it most nights and wore my compression socks often and its back to normal now. I know how frustrating it is. You want to get out there and run as far and as fast as you can but your legs just wont let you. Hang in there. Take it slow. Give it some rest and you'll get back on track!

Kirsten
kirstie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #655
jessicaerv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
, Lilybell! Of course it's okay for you to join us here. I'm a first-time runner and have found these ladies (and gentlemen) to be incredibly encouraging and a wonderful source for knowledge, advice and inspiration.

How old are your little ones? There are so many fabulous things to do at Disneyland for kids (and adults) of all ages; I think you'll find yourself addicted to all things Disney. And congratulations on finding the DisBoards. These folks know EVERYTHING and

I hope your shin splints calm down soon, but don't worry -- you'll ROCK this half-marathon!!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #656
lilybell08
Earning My Ears

Thank you for your responses. I have a pair of CEP compression socks but since they don't seem to be helping I was thinking of looking at the sleeves instead. I think I am also going to give the Trigger Point Therapy a try. Jessica, my little ones are 4 and 2.
lilybell08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #657
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you for your responses. I have a pair of CEP compression socks but since they don't seem to be helping I was thinking of looking at the sleeves instead. I think I am also going to give the Trigger Point Therapy a try. Jessica, my little ones are 4 and 2.
WElcome Lilybell!

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #658
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Woohoo! Another Tink runner! Welcome to the group lilybell!

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

My 2007 WDW pre-trippie is all grown up - its a trippie now!

July 1994 - Disneymoon at Dixie Landings Feb 1996 - Dixie Landings October 1999 - Belle's first trip Dixie Landings Feb 2001 - Tink's first trip Dixie Landings Sept 2007 - POP with free dining! Dec 2008 - POP July 2011 - Disneyland! Jan 2012 - POP

Up next - Tink 1/2 marathon and Princess 1/2 marathon Coast2Coast baby! Uh oh - Dumbo Double Dare
kindakrazy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #659
jessicaerv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
My DD is going to be 3 on the 18th. If I could give you some advice on how to navigate the parks with little ones, I'd say go at their pace. Our first visit (we've been 3 or 4 times now) my DD was 13 months old, but a very "mature" 13 months. She was walking and absorbing and enjoying everything. But I had a very specific agenda in mind which, of course, came crashing down with her first melt down. I fled Disneyland to remove her in order to not disturb any other guests. The next day, I took her to DCA and let her play in Bugsland and had very few expectations for the day. We went were she wanted, walked at her pace, and generally just strolled through the park hitting the carousel and a couple other small rides in Bugsland. She had a wonderful time and I was much less stressed.

And don't let anyone tell you your 2 year old won't remember this visit because he/she absolutely will, if only bits and pieces. The pictures will be priceless!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #660
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi, everyone! My training has not been going well lately. I can't even make it through a mile doing 30:30 because my right shin and calf start hurting really bad. Neither myself nor my husband have ever been to Disneyland or Disney World so we are so excited to take a mini vacation for the race and take our two little ones.
Hi!!! You are going to have so much fun!!! And you'll have fun w/ the race too. Have you tried the KT tape for your shins? I swear by it, and use it all the time. The pro tape is better than the regular and worth the extra couple of bucks. It sticks a little better and in my opinion, works a little better too.

Headed up to the Nike store tonight. They're doing something pre-race stuff and you can pick up some race merch before next week. I'm thinking about trying the Lunar shoes. My dad just got a pair and did a marathon in them and says they're great. We'll see, I'm an asics girl and usually nike doesn't agree w/ my feet. Has anyone tried or use them?

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: