Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #586
khiguchi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstie101 View Post
Kim - YES the weather was just beautiful! Sorry it took you so long to get out of there though. That would have driving me crazy!
And adorable shirts! I hope they'll be at the expo this year so I can check them out in person!

Sarah - thanks! Yea thats what I told myself to feel better about my time...it wasn't my best but the crowds were the reason.

Caseysmommie - Congrats on your first 5K!!! And I think thats a great time!

Khiguchi - Welcome!
Thanks, Kirstie!

Gearing up for 2013 Wine and Dine Half Marathon, BQ Attempt #3 at Space Coast Marathon, the Inaugural WDW 10K and my third go at runDisney Mom!

SHIAWASE LIFE : MY BLOG ABOUT RUNNING, DISNEY & LIVING A HAPPY LIFE! / Follow me on twitter at @krissymmurphy

2013 DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON AND DUMBO DARE TRIP: GRAND CALIFORNIAN - 2013 TINKER BELL HALF MARATHON TRIP: GRAND CALIFORNIAN & PARADISE PIER - 2013 WDW MARATHON TRIP: BAY LAKE TOWER & BEACH CLUB VILLAS -PRINCESS 1/2 TRIP: BOARDWALK VILLAS 2012 - AULANI 2011 - DL HALF TRIP: THE VILLAS AT DISNEY'S GRAND CALIFORNIAN 2011 - WDW 1/2 TRIP: SARATOGA SPRINGS 2011 - THE VILLAS AT DISNEY'S GRAND CALIFORNIAN 2010 - CORONADO SPRINGS 2010 - DISNEY MAGIC 2009 - GRAND FLORIDIAN 2009 - DISNEY WONDER 2009 (FEB & MAR) - DAKL 2009 - POR 2008 - DISNEY WONDER 2008 - WDW GUEST RELATIONS & TOURS 2007-2010 - DISNEY WONDER 2007 - WDWCP 2006-2007 - POP CENTURY 2005 -
khiguchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #587
BabieDuckie
Earning My Ears

Hi Everybody! Happy Monday! Hope everyone is doing well.

I ran 4 miles on Saturday, which is the longest distance I've ever run. I used a 2:2 interval which seemed to have been nice and comfortable. I guess that means it's time to increase the run time by 30 seconds and see how that goes.

I finished the 4 miles in just over an hour. My average pace increased from the typical 18-something minute/mile I usually get on my 30 min run days. I did notice that the first mile went by really slow, but after the 2nd I was well warmed up and the running portions seemed fairly easy. My speed even increased a little at the end!

This Saturday's long run is only 2 miles which is what I typically do in about 30 minutes, but the Saturday after that is 7 miles. Maybe this is the time to buy the running belt I've been considering for Tink. It'll give me plenty of time to test it out to see if I like it. I should probably order my "sweatyband" and sparkle skirt too to see if those are going to work for me. I'll take any excuse to buy new clothes!

I enjoy reading everybody's progress, so please keep updating as you go!
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #588
jessicaerv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabieDuckie View Post

I ran 4 miles on Saturday, which is the longest distance I've ever run. I used a 2:2 interval which seemed to have been nice and comfortable. I guess that means it's time to increase the run time by 30 seconds and see how that goes.

I finished the 4 miles in just over an hour. My average pace increased from the typical 18-something minute/mile I usually get on my 30 min run days. I did notice that the first mile went by really slow, but after the 2nd I was well warmed up and the running portions seemed fairly easy. My speed even increased a little at the end!

This Saturday's long run is only 2 miles which is what I typically do in about 30 minutes, but the Saturday after that is 7 miles. Maybe this is the time to buy the running belt I've been considering for Tink. It'll give me plenty of time to test it out to see if I like it. I should probably order my "sweatyband" and sparkle skirt too to see if those are going to work for me. I'll take any excuse to buy new clothes!

I ran 4 miles too! Well, my iPod (which I still haven't recalibrated) tells me I ran 4.62 miles, but I don't believe it - the darn thing has been lying to me for months!! I just figure it was about 4 miles or just a little under because it took me 52 minutes, and that's about the pace I logged for the 5k last weekend. I was able to run about 3/4 of it and walk the rest. I was very happy with that, especially since I ran for 30 minutes straight before I took a walking interval.

I plan on using the short 2 mile run next weekend to go to the local high school track and recalibrate my iPod then. Does anyone know how often those things need to be calibrated?

Oh... and I guess I should report on the weight loss front since I was such an enthusiastic forerunner on that one. Sad to say I've only lost a couple pounds since we started. Guess I'll need to incorporate a better diet (boo!). Starting tonight with a green salad for dinner with some lean chicken breast. Maybe I can still lose that 20 pounds before Tink?
Old 09-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #589
Skpnw
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone

I am running the Tinkerbell half as well - question re: training. I am using a modified Galloway training plan. I have run one half marathon in the past and used a different training plan and basically combined the two. Ok, my question - are any of you incorporating any strength training and/or different cardio a few days a week?

The reason why I ask is that I did some strength training for the first time the other day (first time in a few months) and my legs are so sore that it is affecting my runs (can't run smoothly, as "fast", etc). I know that if I keep up with the weights, I won't be sore, but is it worth it to start now or wait until the end of January

I know that it is still early in the training plan that I guess I could have a few weeks of slow, painful runs until I get past this muscle soreness. Just wondering from those in the same boat or those that have gone thru this in the past.

thanks
Skpnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #590
bonedoc
Fairy Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skpnw View Post
I know that it is still early in the training plan that I guess I could have a few weeks of slow, painful runs until I get past this muscle soreness. Just wondering from those in the same boat or those that have gone thru this in the past.
The strength training should be built into your training early, then taper off a 1-2 months before the run. It should also be done the same day after your runs to give time for recovering. Strength training before running or the day before running will dramatically affect your running. It will usually force you to compensate with a more straight knee run (causing pain after the run under the knee cap, on the inner part of the knee, and on the inner part of hamstring). This will set you back instead of making gains, so timing is important.

bonedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #591
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedoc View Post
The strength training should be built into your training early, then taper off a 1-2 months before the run. It should also be done the same day after your runs to give time for recovering. Strength training before running or the day before running will dramatically affect your running. It will usually force you to compensate with a more straight knee run (causing pain after the run under the knee cap, on the inner part of the knee, and on the inner part of hamstring). This will set you back instead of making gains, so timing is important.

Good info! Thanks!
Can I ask what you all do for strength training? I dont belong to a gym. On my non run days I sometimes ride the bike for cardio. And I'll do some situps, push ups and lunges but thats about it. I've actually stopped doing the lunges cause they were bothering my knees.

Kirsten
kirstie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #592
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabieDuckie View Post

WTG! I'm so excited for you and your progress. Running gear is my favorite. Have fun shopping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaerv View Post
I ran 4 miles too! Well, my iPod (which I still haven't recalibrated) tells me I ran 4.62 miles, but I don't believe it - the darn thing has been lying to me for months!! I just figure it was about 4 miles or just a little under because it took me 52 minutes, and that's about the pace I logged for the 5k last weekend. I was able to run about 3/4 of it and walk the rest. I was very happy with that, especially since I ran for 30 minutes straight before I took a walking interval.

I plan on using the short 2 mile run next weekend to go to the local high school track and recalibrate my iPod then. Does anyone know how often those things need to be calibrated?

Oh... and I guess I should report on the weight loss front since I was such an enthusiastic forerunner on that one. Sad to say I've only lost a couple pounds since we started. Guess I'll need to incorporate a better diet (boo!). Starting tonight with a green salad for dinner with some lean chicken breast. Maybe I can still lose that 20 pounds before Tink?
calibration should only need to happen once- in theory. LOL I have a terrible time with mine. I use the GPS on my phone. I had the sensor before and it was always off as well. Good luck.

Weight loss- keep it up! Nutrition is so key, so try to look at that. You have the exercise working, so now look to the food and see what you can do better! GL!

I'm focusing on food right now, and it was tough the first couple days. Once I got the junk out of the house, it's been much easier. No access to it, can't eat it, right?

Quote:
Hi everyone

I am running the Tinkerbell half as well - question re: training. I am using a modified Galloway training plan. I have run one half marathon in the past and used a different training plan and basically combined the two. Ok, my question - are any of you incorporating any strength training and/or different cardio a few days a week?

The reason why I ask is that I did some strength training for the first time the other day (first time in a few months) and my legs are so sore that it is affecting my runs (can't run smoothly, as "fast", etc). I know that if I keep up with the weights, I won't be sore, but is it worth it to start now or wait until the end of January

thanks
For me, doing the strength training makes me faster. I have done halves without any cross training and did just fine, but I have noticed a BIG difference in speed in my lower miles now that I do weight cross training. Personally, I'd keep up with it. I did P90X and really saw improvement when I was doing the legs and core workouts. My runs felt effortless. Seriously. But I had to pick the right day to do the leg workouts- because I was so crazy sore (lots of squats and lunges- holy ouch!)

I'd doing 3 days of running (2 short, 1 long) and 3 days of weight workouts. When I do the short runs, I include speed work. It's my made up program loosely following Galloways plan and mileage work ups.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #593
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

Thought I'd share this here just in case anyone is interested in running the Nike womens marathon in SF on 10/14. If you are a Nike+ member you can currently register for a limited # of spots at this link https://www.signmeup.com/site/online...stration/83030 registration for the full or half are both currently open. I have no clue how many spots are available.

Kirsten
Old 09-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #594
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I add both. I usually do lower body once during the week and then after my longer run on Sunday. W/ the Sunday workout, I switch to lower weight but higher reps. The other days at the gym are upper body and core/lower back just b/c that helps a lot later on in the race.

Quote:
Can I ask what you all do for strength training? I dont belong to a gym. On my non run days I sometimes ride the bike for cardio. And I'll do some situps, push ups and lunges but thats about it. I've actually stopped doing the lunges cause they were bothering my knees.
You could do calf-ups off a step or the sidewalk. Planks are good too. You mentioned the lunges were hurting your knees, but what about squats? You could do them against a wall and that might help. Another leg one would be leg raises for outside and inside of thighs. If you have a chair w/ a high back, you could do plies. A good 1 for the front of the calf/shin splints ~ if you have something heavy, place it on your toes while sitting down and lift your toes/foot and the weight, keeping your heal on the floor. Kinda the same motion if you were tapping your foot, just slower. It strengthens that muscle in front.

Quote:
Thought I'd share this here just in case anyone is interested in running the Nike womens marathon in SF on 10/14.
That's so funny you posted that ~ someone on the WISH side posted that, and I... got suckered in again. I'm not looking forward to the hills, but that necklace just lured me in again. That, and when I looked at my Goofy schedule that week I'm supposed to do a 12 miler, so why not do that and get a necklace for it. And who knows, maybe a sexy fireman. Did you find a hotel for Sat or are you just driving in Sun?

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #595
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

Kim - woohoo! So glad you got suckerd in hehehe. And I think that every 12 mile run should earn us a Tiffany necklace. I doubt I can convince DH of that though I did get a room at the Pickwick in Union Square. Even with AAA its like $325 for a room with 2 double beds though. Splitting it 3 ways with a couple friends will help but still pricey! I wish I could take Friday off work and come in a day early for the Expo but I decided I'd probably appreciate the Monday after off even more!

Kirsten
Old 09-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #596
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Kim - woohoo! So glad you got suckerd in hehehe. And I think that every 12 mile run should earn us a Tiffany necklace. I doubt I can convince DH of that though I did get a room at the Pickwick in Union Square. Even with AAA its like $325 for a room with 2 double beds though. Splitting it 3 ways with a couple friends will help but still pricey! I wish I could take Friday off work and come in a day early for the Expo but I decided I'd probably appreciate the Monday after off even more!
Yeah, I was going to do the Pumpkin 10k in Half Moon Bay, but this one just sounded better. And next year is their 10th and I can't do next year's b/c I'm diong NY so I figured I'll just get another necklace this year! And don't worry about missing the expo ~ there is none. It's a tent where you pick up your bib and that's it. All the race merchandise is across the street at the Nike Store. I'm not sure if they're doing it this year, I know they did 2 years ago, if you're close enough to the city or near Stanford, they have stuff before race weekend. That way you can pick out what you want and the size before all the other runners race weekend.

Oh! And if you're staying over til Monday or even after the race if you have time, they do engraving of your necklace at the Nike Store post race. And the weather was perfect last year and 2 years ago before the rain started, so fingers crossed it's great again this year!!

Old 09-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #597
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim3339 View Post
Yeah, I was going to do the Pumpkin 10k in Half Moon Bay, but this one just sounded better. And next year is their 10th and I can't do next year's b/c I'm diong NY so I figured I'll just get another necklace this year! And don't worry about missing the expo ~ there is none. It's a tent where you pick up your bib and that's it. All the race merchandise is across the street at the Nike Store. I'm not sure if they're doing it this year, I know they did 2 years ago, if you're close enough to the city or near Stanford, they have stuff before race weekend. That way you can pick out what you want and the size before all the other runners race weekend.

Oh! And if you're staying over til Monday or even after the race if you have time, they do engraving of your necklace at the Nike Store post race. And the weather was perfect last year and 2 years ago before the rain started, so fingers crossed it's great again this year!!
I WISH I could stay Sunday night! I'm pretty sure 1 night is all DH can handle the 2 kids by himself! I'm near Sac so we have a Nike outlet which of course isn't anywhere near as much fun as Niketown but still better than nothing I guess. I was actually in Fleet Feet last week and they had some NWM gear out on one of the tables which kinda suprised me. I have to admit I'm super excited to see my name on the store window inSF!

Kirsten
Old 09-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #598
kim3339
DIS Veteran

I don't know if the outlets have stuff beforehand, but check afterwards. In '10, I got a really nice pullover for $25 or $30. And I saw some of the sweatshirts last year. Sizes and product won't be as big, but the prices can't be beat. I didn't see anything online yet, but I remember last year they had some stuff.

And don't forget to bring gu or anything that you need w/ you. I can't think of any stores around Union Square that might have them, and I don't remember them on the course. Take that back~ just got an email from Sports Basement and they opened a store in Union Square. They said it's at Fifth & Market if that's not too far from your hotel. It's across the street from the mall a few blocks down from the square, the one w/ the huge Old Navy across the street from where you catch the trolley. They'll have the Chocolate Mile around 12 - 12 1/2.

Last edited by kim3339; 09-18-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #599
Skpnw
Mouseketeer

Thanks to everyone re: advice on strength training. I will definitely continue with it but I will change my training plan in order to not do the weights the day before - which is what I have been doing!

Again, your knowledge is appreciated!!

k
Skpnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #600
LuvSulley
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Good info! Thanks!
Thanks for asking this! I didn't realize I should be doing strength training too. Would yoga work as strength training? I been meaning to start/learn it.

For food, I was thinking about joining weight watchers. Anyone here ever try it? I really want to lose 20+ lbs by race time!
LuvSulley is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: