Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #466
jessicaerv
Mouseketeer
 
jessicaerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedoggy View Post
We are doing the Tinkerbell 1/2 2013 in memory of our Daughter Lindsay who battled Leukemia and got her wings in Nov 2010.
We did Disney Princess 1/2 last Feb at WDW with Team In Training and it was
the most amazing experience. For anyone who hasn't experienced this, I highly recommend it.
I have bad knees, hips and feet, I'm 58 and my Husband 60... if we can finish, anyone can.

Join the group and Support those that are fighting for their Lives.
Oh Bluedoggy - I wish your running in the Tink was to celebrate remission rather than your beautiful daughter's brave battle. There are far too many lives lost to cancer of any type. One of my closest friends has been witness to way too much in her 30 years; her cousin (close as sisters) died as a young teenager after catching a secondary infection after a bone marrow transplant to battle leukemia. Her father fought hard against ALS but lost his battle a few years ago. Last year her 9 month old daughter was diagnosed with a rare, aggressive cancer and recently finished her 45 week course of chemo and radiation. The good news is Lily is now in remission, but we all know that cancer is insidious and can come back. This woman is the strongest woman I know to have dealt with everything she has and stay standing.

Long story short - I admire those who can fight through the enormous weight of grief and move forward. Hugs to you and your husband.
__________________
Jessica
jessicaerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:05 AM   #467
indygirl99
DIS Veteran
 
indygirl99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,053

It's official my DH thinks I'm crazy.

I have been looking for (and finding) local races to run for training. An 8K in sept, and 10K's in oct and nov. He even agreed to sign up as a volunteer at one of the races.

But when I printed off copies of the tinkerbell t-shirt (from a previous post) and posted them in about 10 different places in the house to use as motivation all he could say was okaaaaay.

Good thing he is so supportive of me.
__________________
indygirl99 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #468
BabieDuckie
Earning My Ears
 
BabieDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 69

It's been a few weeks since I've posted here. Just a quick update along with everybody else....

I missed 3 days of running because I came down with an infection and needed antibiotics. Today, I ran/walked 2.09 miles and my average pace was 18 min/mile. Monday the 27th is the 9th (and last) week of the C25k program I'm doing, then the week after I start the Jeff Galloway Tinker Bell training program.

I'm still not able to run for the full 30 minutes like I'm supposed to. I have to stop and walk multiple times in between. I get really discouraged when I don't make any significant progress week after week, but my boyfriend keeps telling me that I'm being too hard on myself. He also noticed that my pace has increased and that's why I'm running out of breath faster and more often. I didn't notice the increase in pace; it just felt natural.

Well, less than 5 months to go! I just have to stay positive and stick with the training. I've been hearing that race day is often times easier than training. Crossing my fingers that it's true for me!
__________________
BabieDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #469
Leskash75
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 76

I don't think you should be sad that you walk in 30 min. Galloway encourages/mandates walking. Right now my daughter and me are doing 30 sec run/45 walk. Which is about 15 min pace. Like Galloway says I have noticed my pace goes up when don't try to run whole time.

Today was supposed to be 12 mile day (1st half in September) but started late so got too hot and we only did 9.5. But was good
Leskash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #470
jessicaerv
Mouseketeer
 
jessicaerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 459

Ran my second Magic Mile yesterday and finished in 12:22; shaved 2:07 off my first Magic Mile.

However, I didn't complete my interval training for this week satisfactorily, so I will be repeating it.

Looking into Sept 5ks and Oct 10ks. I can't believe how motivated I am!

Question about the Galloway method. When he says 45 run/15 walk, does he really mean seconds? If I'm accustomed to running 5 to 10 minutes at a time would that mean I should run for 10 minutes and then walk for 4 (assuming a 3:1 ratio)?
__________________
Jessica
jessicaerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #471
bonedoc
Fairy Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 37

Keep up the good work, Jessica!

The 45/15 really is minutes. But it has more to do the resting and recovery while using other muscle groups. If you start to get muscle fatigue at 20 minutes and you need a 3:1 ratio to recover, then you should be doing something like 15/5. If you're at 10 minute runs, then consider going down to 6/2 for now.
bonedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #472
jessicaerv
Mouseketeer
 
jessicaerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedoc View Post
Keep up the good work, Jessica!

The 45/15 really is minutes. But it has more to do the resting and recovery while using other muscle groups. If you start to get muscle fatigue at 20 minutes and you need a 3:1 ratio to recover, then you should be doing something like 15/5. If you're at 10 minute runs, then consider going down to 6/2 for now.
Thanks, Bonedoc. That makes more sense. I just couldn't see how a run could be completed if the pacing is constantly shifting from jog to walk every 45 seconds!

The training plan I'm on now (5k101) has me at 12 min jog/3 min walk intervals (x2). I'm finding I can do the first jog interval no problem but apparently am not pacing myself correctly because I couldn't finish the second interval jog. So I'm repeating the week until I can get through it. I would really like to keep my current pace and just train until I can maintain it, and THEN increase my pace again.

This week I have to tackle the nutrition portion of the training plan. I'm 70 lbs overweight so I have plenty of fluff to lose. Anyone have any suggestions on where I can find a really good, really easy to follow beginner runner nutrition plan?
__________________
Jessica
jessicaerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #473
indygirl99
DIS Veteran
 
indygirl99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,053

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaerv View Post
Ran my second Magic Mile yesterday and finished in 12:22; shaved 2:07 off my first Magic Mile.

However, I didn't complete my interval training for this week satisfactorily, so I will be repeating it.

Looking into Sept 5ks and Oct 10ks. I can't believe how motivated I am!

Question about the Galloway method. When he says 45 run/15 walk, does he really mean seconds? If I'm accustomed to running 5 to 10 minutes at a time would that mean I should run for 10 minutes and then walk for 4 (assuming a 3:1 ratio)?
Here is a quote from Jeff Galloways training.

Here are my recommended ratios of running and walking, based upon your pace per mile.
Remember that long runs should be run at least 2 min/mi slower than your projected finish pace in the marathon. An additional slowdown should be made for increased temperature: 30 sec per mile
slower for each 5 degrees of temperature increase above 60F. It is always safer to walk more often.

Run-walk-run ratio should correspond to the training pace used:
8 min/miórun 4 min/walk 35 seconds
9 min/mió 4 min run-1 min walk
10 min/mió-3:1
11 min/mió2:30-1
12 min/mió-2:1
13 min/mió-1:1
14 min/mió30 sec run/30 sec walk
15 min/mió30 sec/45 sec
16 min/mió30 sec/60 sec


So yes he really does mean seconds. I am working up to the 2min run 1 min walk. Right now I am able to run 1 min walk 1:30. I still need the extra 30 sec to recover. 30/30 made me dissy.

Maybe try the 4min/1min and see if your pace is right and how your stamina is for the full 30 min?
__________________
indygirl99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:40 PM   #474
scrappingpickle
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 41

Tinkerbell thread from 2012

Is there a thread about the Tinkerbell half from this year? I would like to read people's experiences and can't find anything. Or does anyone know of any tr about the Tinkerbell half?

Thanks
scrappingpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #475
bonedoc
Fairy Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by indygirl99 View Post
So yes he really does mean seconds. I am working up to the 2min run 1 min walk. Right now I am able to run 1 min walk 1:30. I still need the extra 30 sec to recover. 30/30 made me dissy
You are right about the seconds if you are at a 14+ min mile. This is all about endurance.

Jessica, if the cardio part is doing fine, then more often the problem can be quad muscle fatigue. Especially since you're knees have had trouble in the past.

In this case, working in some cross training with some exercise bike or quad exercises can dramatically reduce fatigue and give you huge yields compared to trying to push through with running.
bonedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #476
kirstie101
DIS Veteran
 
kirstie101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,332

Anyone know what time the kids dashes are on Saturday? I signed DD up but I dont think we'll be able to pull it off. She doesnt get out of school til 11:30 on friday so no way will we make it to the Expo on Friday. And if its like last year and doesn't open til 10 on saturday then theres no chance I'd be able to pick up her race packet. Bummer!
__________________




Kirsten
kirstie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #477
kirstie101
DIS Veteran
 
kirstie101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,332

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabieDuckie View Post
It's been a few weeks since I've posted here. Just a quick update along with everybody else....

I missed 3 days of running because I came down with an infection and needed antibiotics. Today, I ran/walked 2.09 miles and my average pace was 18 min/mile. Monday the 27th is the 9th (and last) week of the C25k program I'm doing, then the week after I start the Jeff Galloway Tinker Bell training program.

I'm still not able to run for the full 30 minutes like I'm supposed to. I have to stop and walk multiple times in between. I get really discouraged when I don't make any significant progress week after week, but my boyfriend keeps telling me that I'm being too hard on myself. He also noticed that my pace has increased and that's why I'm running out of breath faster and more often. I didn't notice the increase in pace; it just felt natural.

Well, less than 5 months to go! I just have to stay positive and stick with the training. I've been hearing that race day is often times easier than training. Crossing my fingers that it's true for me!
And it does get easier with time! I bet if you slowed your pace down you'd be able to run longer lengths of time.
I admit that when I run btwn 2.5-3 miles I do run the whole thing. But on my long runs I run intervals and I fully intend to run intervals on race day!
__________________




Kirsten
kirstie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #478
kim3339
DIS Veteran
 
kim3339's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,579

Quote:
Originally Posted by indygirl99 View Post
But when I printed off copies of the tinkerbell t-shirt (from a previous post) and posted them in about 10 different places in the house to use as motivation all he could say was okaaaaay.

Good thing he is so supportive of me.
I do the same thing!! If there is a race ad in Runner's World or postcards from the Disney race expos that I have coming up, I put them on closet door in my room as well as the course map, along w/ some running quotes that I like. That way I see it every morning and if I don't do something it's staring me in the face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappingpickle View Post
Is there a thread about the Tinkerbell half from this year? I would like to read people's experiences and can't find anything. Or does anyone know of any tr about the Tinkerbell half?
Don't know if there was a TR from last year, but here's a link from the WISH Thread for this past year's. Posts from the beginning of race week start on page 55 and I think the 1st post has some info as well.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....+bell+marathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstie101 View Post
Anyone know what time the kids dashes are on Saturday? I signed DD up but I dont think we'll be able to pull it off. She doesnt get out of school til 11:30 on friday so no way will we make it to the Expo on Friday. And if its like last year and doesn't open til 10 on saturday then theres no chance I'd be able to pick up her race packet. Bummer!
I think 9am. If you want, I could pick up the kids packets for you and meet you either when you get in on Friday night or after the 5k on Saturday before the kids races. I'm doing that this Friday for someone who can't make the expo in time.
__________________

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #479
jessicaerv
Mouseketeer
 
jessicaerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedoc View Post
Jessica, if the cardio part is doing fine, then more often the problem can be quad muscle fatigue. Especially since you're knees have had trouble in the past.

In this case, working in some cross training with some exercise bike or quad exercises can dramatically reduce fatigue and give you huge yields compared to trying to push through with running.
Thanks again, Bonedoc. I had planned to start cross training (with an exercise bike as you suggested) but I haven't fit that into my plans yet. I'm finding it difficult to make myself get up an hour early on my off-training days, but its becoming clear I just have to do it.
__________________
Jessica
jessicaerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #480
Shananana
Mouseketeer
 
Shananana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Home of the Bolts
Posts: 239

Has anyone seen a picture of the Commemorative necklace? How do I get one of them if I've already registered?
__________________
Mommy Daddy DD (7) Josephine DD (3) Violet
Shananana is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: