Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #406
jessicaerv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indygirl99 View Post
I went out to run my first "magic mile" this morning to get an idea of where I am at right now. The verdit is that I made it in 14:14 that was run/walk/run intervals. I still can't run a mile straight yet.

So not yet fast enough to keep from being swept but still faster than my very first 5K. But at least I now have a point from which to improve. And I do have 5 months to work on that improvement.

I think the rest of my runs this week I will head North from my house instead of south. If I go north I am at the top of a small (very small), hill that will add just a little bit more exertion effort. I think the total elevation change is 65 ft. Unfortunately it is down first then up but maybe up at the end is what I need.
Hey Indygirl -- don't look now, but WE'RE DOING IT!!!!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #407
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Way to go ladies! You are DOING IT!!!!!! YEEEHHHAAWWWWWW!!!!

I did a mile yesterday- not a magic mile, but using it as a starting point. I'll start doing the real MMs with the official training plan--- which is starting SOON! Eek!!! My mile yesterday was an intervals training of 15 seconds sprint and 45 seconds walk. I was surprised how fast I finished doing this- 12:40. Honestly, that sprinting for even 15 seconds was tough!!! But I am using this number as a base point to see where I stand.

According to Galloways calculator- http://jeffgalloway.com/resources/gallracepredict.html -- this would have me finishing in 3:19, which is one minute faster than my PR time from last year. Nice to see I am on the right track! My goal is to finish under 3 hours--- there, I said it. It's out there man, I gotta do it, right? It would be a big time improvement, but that's what I am shooting for.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #408
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaerv View Post
Magic Mile in the books. Ran a 14:17 pace. Not too shabby for this old gal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indygirl99 View Post
I went out to run my first "magic mile" this morning to get an idea of where I am at right now. The verdit is that I made it in 14:14 that was run/walk/run intervals. I still can't run a mile straight yet.
Congrats ladies!!! That's awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstie101 View Post
Well I haven't run in an entire week now! I took a fall last week and unfortunately landed on my knee. It was sore for a few days and seems ready to go now. I'd like to run tonight but its supposed to be 107 today so I doubt it will even be cool enough at 8:00 to run. Tomorrow should be a few degrees cooler though so at least then for sure!
Sorry about your knee! I'm right w/ you. I have a small tear in my MCL and was told to shut it down for 2-3 weeks and right before the DL 1/2. Hope it gets better soon for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
According to Galloways calculator- http://jeffgalloway.com/resources/gallracepredict.html -- this would have me finishing in 3:19, which is one minute faster than my PR time from last year. Nice to see I am on the right track! My goal is to finish under 3 hours--- there, I said it. It's out there man, I gotta do it, right? It would be a big time improvement, but that's what I am shooting for.
I answered your ? on the WISH side about the pacers, but your post here reminded me. If there are no pace groups at Tink and you want to finish in 3 and think you need a pacer to keep on track, I have an ironman watch that I use where you can set your goal time and keep on track that way. You hit 1 of the buttons every mile and it'll let you know if you're going too fast or too slow. I really like it and it's easy to use. I forget the model right now, but I can check at home if you want. It was $89 and small like a normal watch, not like 1 of the bulkier IM watches.

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #409
disneyaway
Mouseketeer

Ooh- another Tink thread- yay! I signed up for Tink and for Princess and am hoping to get my coast to coast this year

I am flying to Ca on a solo trip- in Fri and out Sun, with plans to do the 5k and the half. I am trying to figure out what to do with the rest of my Saturday. I was originally going to do the buffet advertised on the rundisney website. And then I realized the buffet is as much as a park ticket, so now I am torn. Hitting the parks sounds like fun, but I am worried about overdoing it before the half.

So I am hoping to get ideas from everyone else for their plans for Saturday.

Sounds like everyone's training is going well, too. Awesome!
disneyaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #410
jessicaerv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
My goal is to finish under 3 hours--- there, I said it. It's out there man, I gotta do it, right? It would be a big time improvement, but that's what I am shooting for.
Way to put it out there... now you're committed! Should I put your goal in my signature as further motivation for you?
Old 08-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #411
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim3339 View Post
Sorry about your knee! I'm right w/ you. I have a small tear in my MCL and was told to shut it down for 2-3 weeks and right before the DL 1/2. Hope it gets better soon for you!

I answered your ? on the WISH side about the pacers, but your post here reminded me. If there are no pace groups at Tink and you want to finish in 3 and think you need a pacer to keep on track, I have an ironman watch that I use where you can set your goal time and keep on track that way. You hit 1 of the buttons every mile and it'll let you know if you're going too fast or too slow. I really like it and it's easy to use. I forget the model right now, but I can check at home if you want. It was $89 and small like a normal watch, not like 1 of the bulkier IM watches.
Gah! Sorry about your legs, ladies! And Kim- right before DL? Ugh Ugh Ugh!

Yes--- I would love to know what watch you use! I was just looking at the ironmans yesterday because my old HR monitor watch I used to wear crapped out. If it can pace me like that, I would love it! Very cool- please post when you get the chance the name/model number

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyaway View Post
Ooh- another Tink thread- yay! I signed up for Tink and for Princess and am hoping to get my coast to coast this year

I am flying to Ca on a solo trip- in Fri and out Sun, with plans to do the 5k and the half. I am trying to figure out what to do with the rest of my Saturday. I was originally going to do the buffet advertised on the rundisney website. And then I realized the buffet is as much as a park ticket, so now I am torn. Hitting the parks sounds like fun, but I am worried about overdoing it before the half.

So I am hoping to get ideas from everyone else for their plans for Saturday.

Sounds like everyone's training is going well, too. Awesome!
I'm also doing C2C with the Princess! Good to meet you! My friend and I are thinking about volunteering for the 5K. Just to have the experience. I'll probably do no more than 2-3 hrs of the parks, because I am an addict and HAVE to go to them, ha ha ha... but I won't go all day. I know I need to save my legs for Sunday.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

My No-Guilt Life
Old 08-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #412
disneyaway
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Gah! Sorry about your legs, ladies! And Kim- right before DL? Ugh Ugh Ugh!

Yes--- I would love to know what watch you use! I was just looking at the ironmans yesterday because my old HR monitor watch I used to wear crapped out. If it can pace me like that, I would love it! Very cool- please post when you get the chance the name/model number

I'm also doing C2C with the Princess! Good to meet you! My friend and I are thinking about volunteering for the 5K. Just to have the experience. I'll probably do no more than 2-3 hrs of the parks, because I am an addict and HAVE to go to them, ha ha ha... but I won't go all day. I know I need to save my legs for Sunday.

Hi! I am doing the 5K mainly for the pictures, lol. I am so slow that I am worried I won't have time during the half so I figured i would do the 5K. And since I have no kids to bug me, I can chill the rest of the day. I am worried if I go to the parks, I will want to just keep going since I would only have that one day and then I will be exhausted on Sunday. I am thinking I will just do the buffet so I get a little more Disney experience or maybe a meal at one of the hotels and just head back to relax in my room.

And you are in Texas, I assume? I live in houston. So howdy, fellow Texan!
Old 08-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #413
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi! I am doing the 5K mainly for the pictures, lol. I am so slow that I am worried I won't have time during the half so I figured i would do the 5K. And since I have no kids to bug me, I can chill the rest of the day. I am worried if I go to the parks, I will want to just keep going since I would only have that one day and then I will be exhausted on Sunday. I am thinking I will just do the buffet so I get a little more Disney experience or maybe a meal at one of the hotels and just head back to relax in my room.

And you are in Texas, I assume? I live in houston. So howdy, fellow Texan!
What part of Houston? I went to HS in Spring! I currently live in georgetown, north of Austin.

I did that the first year for the princess- I had such a fun time with the 5K and took lots of pictures! I would love to do that for this year at Tink, but I have a time goal in mind, and I don't want to worry about my legs. The 5Ks are loads of fun- you will love it!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 08-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #414
disneyaway
Mouseketeer

Quote:
What part of Houston? I went to HS in Spring! I currently live in georgetown, north of Austin.

I did that the first year for the princess- I had such a fun time with the 5K and took lots of pictures! I would love to do that for this year at Tink, but I have a time goal in mind, and I don't want to worry about my legs. The 5Ks are loads of fun- you will love it!
I am pretty excited about the 5k. I signed up for the princess one as well, but now I am kind of wishing I hadn't. I got swept away with excitement, I think. Or the thought of spending all of that money made me lightheaded, lol.
I grew up in the southwest side --59 and gessner. But now we live in SugarLand. I know of Georgetown; I went to college in San Antonio and we used to head to Austin a lot
Old 08-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #415
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'll check tonight and let you know.

Quote:
I am doing the 5K mainly for the pictures, lol. I am so slow that I am worried I won't have time during the half so I figured i would do the 5K. And since I have no kids to bug me, I can chill the rest of the day. I am worried if I go to the parks, I will want to just keep going since I would only have that one day and then I will be exhausted on Sunday. I am thinking I will just do the buffet so I get a little more Disney experience or maybe a meal at one of the hotels and just head back to relax in my room.
That's what I use the 5k for too! As for Saturday, I go in the parks for a little bit too. In the parks, I don't do it all. I usually pick 1 side of the park like Frontierland/NOS/Critter Country or Fantasyland/Tomorrowland so I'm not going all over the parks. I also use it to go down and enjoy the stores on Main Street. Not sure what type of tix you're looking at, but b/c I have an AP, after a few hours in DL, I hop over to DCA for a bit and do a little there. I go over to the Hollywood area hop on TOT and watch Aladdin. And the upside to watching a show is that you're in the parks, but you're not walking~ you're sitting! Now that Buena Vista Street is open, I'll probably wander a bit then it's back to the hotel. I usually get back to the hotel around 3. After that, I'll go to the meet, pickup dinner to go and it's back in the hotel for the rest of the night w/ my feet up on pillows.

I think as long as you take it easy w/ the 5k and don't try to do everything in the park, you'll be fine for Sunday.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #416
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim3339 View Post
Congrats ladies!!! That's awesome.

I can't imagine injuring myself so close to a race! That would be sooo frustrating!

Kirsten
kirstie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #417
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstie101 View Post
I can't imagine injuring myself so close to a race! That would be sooo frustrating!
Yah, not really happy, b/c I was hoping to PR this 1, b/c my next races are Goofy and Tink right after so no PR in those. But the good side is that I'm on the back end of it so I have more good days than bad. And besides, I'll still be at DL so as long as I have ice, KT tape and a brace, you can't go wrong. And the 5k finishes in Cars Land and I'm holding out going over there until the race so the finish line is my 1st experience w/ it. That'll definitely be pulling my through. Although getting through Friday knowing it's right there is another thing...

Old 08-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #418
jessicaerv
Mouseketeer

Completed my first workout from Week 5 (5k101.com) this morning. Intervals jumped from 4 min jog/1 min walk up to 8 min jog/2 min walk, three times. I figured there was no way in H-E double hockey sticks I was going to get through 8 minutes of straight running, let alone 3 times, but I did! My left leg is kinda sore now and I feel worn out, but at least I know I can do it.

Saturday will be a 4 mile run. I guess I'll be ready to register for a 5k soon.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #419
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaerv View Post
Completed my first workout from Week 5 (5k101.com) this morning. Intervals jumped from 4 min jog/1 min walk up to 8 min jog/2 min walk, three times. I figured there was no way in H-E double hockey sticks I was going to get through 8 minutes of straight running, let alone 3 times, but I did! My left leg is kinda sore now and I feel worn out, but at least I know I can do it.

Saturday will be a 4 mile run. I guess I'll be ready to register for a 5k soon.

GREAT job!!!!!!!

Kirsten
kirstie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #420
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

GOoooooooo Jessica!!!!

Did 3 today, plan on 3 on Thurs, and then 4 on Sat.

My No-Guilt Life

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: