Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #211
runnintink
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaerv View Post
I went over to Fleet Feet this morning and had a nice young woman named Geneva assess me. She chose 5 pairs of shoes, I tried on 4 of them and found the perfect fit. They are a little ugly, but I hardly notice them on my feet because they feel so natural. I also bought 4 pairs of running socks (hoping to avoid blisters).

Starting my C25K program tomorrow, run a couple 5Ks in September and October, start the Jeff Galloway Tink program in late September. By the time January comes around I'll be a running freak!

Now to book my flight and my hotel. We still haven't decided if we're going to make this a family trip or a solo one. I kinda want to go alone, but feel guilty for thinking it.
Jessica, I am in the exact same boat, except I'm starting c25k on Monday! Neat to see that someone else is going to be in the same situation as me.. I think it's the perfect amount of time to stay motivated, but not so close where I'm freaking out.
runnintink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #212
runnintink
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leskash75 View Post
The candy cane is 20 more a night but seems like be worth it
I am staying at Stovalls.. I chose it because of its closeness to the start/finish. I am really torn, though - some of the hotels (like the Candy Cane) look a lot nicer. However, we really won't be in the room for anything except sleeping. It's really hard on those review websites when the reviews seem to be mixed - I'm honestly not very nitpicky about things BUT I *am* a light sleeper, so noise would be my major concern.

Just out of curiosity though, where do you see that it's only 20 more a night? I booked 4 nights at Stovalls for 430, but the same amount at Candy Cane was going to be in the upper 600s..
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #213
Leskash75
Mouseketeer

I did the reservation at candy cane inn website. It is 685 for five nights this is 2 queens. The Stovalls for five nights is about 552.
Leskash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #214
runnintink
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceNWonderland View Post
When I stayed there last year for Tink our room was very clean. They had a nice mini breakfast buffet open for us before the race started.
You're talking about Stovalls, right? Talk me down from my ledge b/c I'm so paranoid I made a bad choice..
Old 07-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #215
AliceNWonderland
This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation. I -- I hardly know, sir, just at present -- at least I know who I was when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnintink View Post
You're talking about Stovalls, right? Talk me down from my ledge b/c I'm so paranoid I made a bad choice..
Yes, BW Stovalls. Whatever happens you're going to have a wonderful time.

June 2002 offsite Portofino Bay
June 2009 WL
June 2011 POR

AliceNWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #216
AliceNWonderland
This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation. I -- I hardly know, sir, just at present -- at least I know who I was when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then.

It was really cold in the am last year but perfect weather once you started running. I can never decide on a costume. Every Disney race I'm like, I am going to dress up for this one and I never do. Silly me. Great ideas BTW!

June 2002 offsite Portofino Bay
June 2009 WL
June 2011 POR

AliceNWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #217
indygirl99
DIS Veteran

I am having fun training and realizing what I can do.

Got a Fitbit to see where I am going and what I have done and it is amazing what I really do activity wise and how much I don't do at work. Eventhough I am on my feet for 12 hours I am amazed that I don't walk more steps than I do. I really like the sleep analysis it does.

I was able to run/walk a 5K at the beach last week in 57 min. Boy running on sand is difficult. We did go walking both Fri and Sat this week on the beach and I think it is helping me to strengthen my ankles.

Ran my "long" run today on the treadmill and was able to run/walk 5K in 53min 35 sec so an improvement over last week. I am also able to run a little longer before I have to walk.

I also realized that running after working a 12 hr shift at the hospital is slower as I don't have as much reserve as I wish. So I will have to look at my schedule and switch my run/walk days and my cross training days so that my runs are on non work days. And the weeks I work 3 days straight I may have to get up early and do my runs at the gym before work. This will be fun planning.

The thing I am debating now is staying at PP sat and sun night.
I have ressies at Hojo's with the retro rate so 4 days for what one day at PP would cost. BUT do I want to walk to Hojo after running/walking 13.2 miles?
Decisions decisions.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #218
specialks
Quickly becoming a Disney addict!

Quote:
I am staying at Stovalls.. I chose it because of its closeness to the start/finish. I am really torn, though - some of the hotels (like the Candy Cane) look a lot nicer. However, we really won't be in the room for anything except sleeping. It's really hard on those review websites when the reviews seem to be mixed - I'm honestly not very nitpicky about things BUT I *am* a light sleeper, so noise would be my major concern.

Just out of curiosity though, where do you see that it's only 20 more a night? I booked 4 nights at Stovalls for 430, but the same amount at Candy Cane was going to be in the upper 600s..
Quote:
I really thought the Stovalls was a great basic motel. Updated linens and clean pool; however it is an older motel and the walls are thin. We had asked for a room farther away from the road, but when we got in the last room from the end, I couldn't get a wifi signal. So, we moved closer and experienced higher road noise. We could hear the person next to us muffled talking and drawers opening and closing (had a connecting door). I think they could hear our tv bc they kind of stared into our room one time when we had the curtains open(weird).

I would consider myself having a bit of trouble getting to sleep with sound and very mommy alert, but I felt well rested and didn't have a problem. Could have been all the busy walking and running a half. However, it did bother me and makes me a bit hesitant to rebook there.
WDW Wine & Dine 1/2 Nov 9-11, 2012 - ASMovies ~~ Jan 26-31, 2012 DLR Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon - BW Stovalls ~~ DLR Oct 23-26, 2011 - GCH ~~ DLR Dec 7-14, 2010 TR - ResInnGarGrv ~~ DLR Sept 19-26, 2009 - HomSteGarGrv ~~ DLR Sept 13-20, 2008 - HomSteGarGrv
specialks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:08 AM   #219
runnintink
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialks View Post
I really thought the Stovalls was a great basic motel. Updated linens and clean pool; however it is an older motel and the walls are thin. We had asked for a room farther away from the road, but when we got in the last room from the end, I couldn't get a wifi signal. So, we moved closer and experienced higher road noise. We could hear the person next to us muffled talking and drawers opening and closing (had a connecting door). I think they could hear our tv bc they kind of stared into our room one time when we had the curtains open(weird).

I would consider myself having a bit of trouble getting to sleep with sound and very mommy alert, but I felt well rested and didn't have a problem. Could have been all the busy walking and running a half. However, it did bother me and makes me a bit hesitant to rebook there.
Ahhh!! This is what I am worried about... I don't know what to do. My roommate (who is also running the half) is a light sleeper as well - she automatically sleeps with earplugs if she stays in a hotel. I was going to bring my white noise machine. Truthfully, neither one of us is rich, so it is hard to justify going somewhere more expensive just because of the possibility of noise.

Now, if someone could guarantee me that there is a GN hotel with soundproof walls, that would change things a bit!
Old 07-16-2012, 12:43 AM   #220
Leskash75
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indygirl99
I am having fun training and realizing what I can do.
Awesome job. I did a mud "run" this weekend even though I did not run much.

After all discussions I think I'll use candy cane reservations. I think I want quiet room and closer to entrance for the rest of my trip.
Leskash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #221
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ahhh!! This is what I am worried about... I don't know what to do. My roommate (who is also running the half) is a light sleeper as well - she automatically sleeps with earplugs if she stays in a hotel. I was going to bring my white noise machine. Truthfully, neither one of us is rich, so it is hard to justify going somewhere more expensive just because of the possibility of noise.

Now, if someone could guarantee me that there is a GN hotel with soundproof walls, that would change things a bit!
I always bring ear plugs when I travel!! Never leave home without them!
I was lucky enough to get the Hojo's ENT rate for 2 of our 3 nights so thats definitely where we'll be staying.

For my training I'm currently doing 2 30 minute runs during the week and then my "long" run on teh weekend. This past Saturday I did 55 minutes. Just increasing it by 5 minutes every week until I do my 10K in September. I'm excited to do a full hour this coming weekend! For my long runs I'm following Jeff Galloways method and doing 2:1 (mainly) intervals for the most part. AFter my 10K I'm not sure if I'll start actually folowing his Tink training plan then or if I'll just keep adding sometime onto my long runs each week.

Kirsten
kirstie101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #222
MotoXPrincess99
Yep, mine is new too
I just googled
Drive-by girl
Today is a GOOD DAY!

I'm staying at BW Stovall's. It's where I've stayed for the past few Halfs. I've never had any complaints and I like how close it is to the Start/Finish line. Also like that they open the free breakfast room early on race day.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #223
jessicaerv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Jessica, I am in the exact same boat, except I'm starting c25k on Monday! Neat to see that someone else is going to be in the same situation as me.. I think it's the perfect amount of time to stay motivated, but not so close where I'm freaking out.
Started this morning. Walked my 30 minutes and went 1.79 miles, so about an 18 minute/mile pace. Not bad for my first time out, but I sure know I have a long way to go. The whole time I was thinking to myself "At this pace I'll be picked up by the sweepers!"
How'd you do, Runnintink?

I had a discussion with my DH about whether to make this a family trip or not. He told me he wants to be there to support me and cheer me on, and I said "At 5 in the morning in January with a 3 year old?" He pretty quickly conceded to making it a solo trip after that.

So the agenda for today is to make my plane and hotel reservations, but I keep going back and forth between BWPPI and Stovalls. BWPPI has the better reviews, but Stovalls is closer to the starting line so I don't have to walk too far pre-race. Anyone want to weigh in on this?

Speaking of weighing, I got on the scale this morning to check my starting weight. I'd like to lose 70 pounds to get into a healthy range, and hopefully 20 of it by Tink. Is anyone else in the same boat?
Old 07-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #224
BayAreaMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indygirl99 View Post

The thing I am debating now is staying at PP sat and sun night.
I have ressies at Hojo's with the retro rate so 4 days for what one day at PP would cost. BUT do I want to walk to Hojo after running/walking 13.2 miles?
Decisions decisions.
Last year I stayed at HoJo for the tinkerbell half and will be staying there again this year. YES, the walk is long. In the morning I was really nervous because it was so flippin early and dark. But literally from the moment I stepped into the lobby there were tons of racers all around. I felt very safe walking over in the dark. The walk back was tough, but i will say its a good cool down for your legs. That said, another alternative would be for any friends/family to meet you at the finish and drive over to DTD from HoJo so they can drive you back. I may ask this of DH this year...we'll see....
BayAreaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #225
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaerv View Post

So the agenda for today is to make my plane and hotel reservations, but I keep going back and forth between BWPPI and Stovalls. BWPPI has the better reviews, but Stovalls is closer to the starting line so I don't have to walk too far pre-race. Anyone want to weigh in on this?

Speaking of weighing, I got on the scale this morning to check my starting weight. I'd like to lose 70 pounds to get into a healthy range, and hopefully 20 of it by Tink. Is anyone else in the same boat?
I'll "weigh" in with you... lol Same boat- almost same numbers needed to lose as well. I am hoping for 20lbs before race day, honestly, I would like 25, but I am not going to go too crazy with expectations! Lets go for 20 together and see what happens!

Stovalls is where I picked- for the free breakfast AND the proximity to start and finish. The rest looked ok to me, I can deal with ear plugs if I need them. And walking to and from the parks doesn't concern me as much as making sure I wasn't miles away from the finish in particular. After my 13.1, I want to get back and stretch, hot tub, eat, relax, etc.... and if I can save walking 15-20 min to do so, a happier person I will be!

If I was going to the parks with family, I would pick the other option to be closer. But since it's just me, I can swing getting back and forth to the parks without issue as needed.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: