Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 12:59 AM   #151
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by indygirl99 View Post
I have officially ran my first 5K, got my number and tshirt.

Okay I walked more than I ran but I finished in 57 min. Wohoo. I now have my baseline to improve on.

Congratulations on your first race! Its a huge deal to get that first one under your belt! You did great!

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

My 2007 WDW pre-trippie is all grown up - its a trippie now!

July 1994 - Disneymoon at Dixie Landings Feb 1996 - Dixie Landings October 1999 - Belle's first trip Dixie Landings Feb 2001 - Tink's first trip Dixie Landings Sept 2007 - POP with free dining! Dec 2008 - POP July 2011 - Disneyland! Jan 2012 - POP

Up next - Tink 1/2 marathon and Princess 1/2 marathon Coast2Coast baby! Uh oh - Dumbo Double Dare
kindakrazy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #152
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Okay I walked more than I ran but I finished in 57 min. Wohoo. I now have my baseline to improve on.

Some observations: Running on sand is definately different than streets or the treadmill. My ankles definately noticed the difference.
Congrats on your 1st race!!!

Running on sand is definitely different. But if you have weak ankles, it's a good way to strengthen them.

Congrats again!

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #153
BabieDuckie
Earning My Ears

Quote:

Some observations: Running on sand is definately different than streets or the treadmill. My ankles definately noticed the difference.

Agates on the beach must be scooped up quickly or race time suffers.
I made DH grab a few of them (he ran/walked with me).

Spending 4 hours throwing and retrieving crab traps on the beach the day before a race is not the best pre-race activity. But boy did those little suckers taste great. Nothing better than catching your own supper.

I will be sore tommorow (more my arms from throwing the traps than anything) but I did the race and finished which was the goal afterall. I will sign up for another 5K that is connected to a local 1/2 the first week of August and continue my training. I have to be ready by January.

I also think I will go pickup the Big book of marathon running that I read about somewhere here in the DIS. Nutrition is going to be a big part of this training.
YAY!! Congratulations!! I don't even know you and yet I'm so proud of you!! I'm looking for a 5k to sign up for locally, but only after I get a little further into the C25k program. I'm starting my 2nd week today and the thought of doing a 5k is still terrifying to me! But, on the advice of others, I think it would be fantastic to try a couple of 5ks before the Half in January.

, get the Runner's World Big Book of Marathon and 1/2 Marathon training! I got it last week and haven't gotten too far into it (oops!), but so far it's been fantastic. Really inspiring, and really informative!

Congrats again!!
Old 07-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #154
jessicaerv
Mouseketeer

Indygirl99 - You'd better believe you're an inspiration!! I believe in you, and I'm now considering doing the impossible also!

I am not now, nor have EVER been a runner. I played volleyball in high school and the first couple years of college (a sport chosen largely because of the lack of running it required ); I have since led a very sedentary lifestyle and am waaaaaaaaaaay out of shape. I could stand to lose a few (dozen) pounds. I haven't run a lick in at least a decade. But here I am, thinking hard about dipping my toes in the shallow end of the pool. And reading about your efforts is almost enough to send me cannonballing into the deep end!

My younger sister runs, although she would not call herself a runner either. She's done a few half-marathons and has asked me to run this one with her. She wants it to be a sisterly experience.

So, what's holding me back?

1 - Guilt. I have a 2 year old DD that I would leave at home with her daddy (my wonderful DH) for the weekend. They have a........ shall we say...... challenging relationship. I wouldn't want to subject either of them to the probable battles that will occur while I'm gone.

2 - Money. While we have the money to do this, I'm not convinced I should spend it on something that, let's face it, I may not be successful at.

3 - Fear. I should put this one on top because its the biggun. I'm mostly afraid that I'll fail. That I'll be picked up by the sweepers. That I'll be the big, fat woman fooling herself that she can complete a half-marathon. That I won't even get that far -- that I'll abandon all efforts after a few weeks and not ever even see the start line, let alone the finish line.

So, again I say to you, Indygirl99... You are an inspiration. If I don't kick myself in the a$$ to participate in this thing myself, you'd best believe I'll be watching from the sidelines and cheering for you!

And that goes for all of you ladies! You ALL rock!!
Old 07-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #155
BabieDuckie
Earning My Ears

Hi Jessica - I'm not a runner either, and I have never been athletic, but after finding and reading the Couch To 5K training program and hearing the advice and encouragment from other people on the board, I decided to sign up. Personally, the $150 registration fee is a slight motivator in keeping up with the training and getting to the point where I can finish the race! For me, at my current stage in weight and experience, that will be a huge accomplishment in itself. Whatever you decide to do, know that there are people here who will support you every step of the way!!
Old 07-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #156
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Okay ladies--- 92% full. No pressure for those still on the fence, but um, yeah... it might be time to make the leap!

Jessica- I weigh about 200lbs post baby. I played soccer all my life but always hated to run. HA. Wrong sport dummie!

Anyway... I've done the Princess 2 times, and I will admit I was terrified of getting swept. Crazy terrified. BUT... I didn't. I finished. And one year I was 6 months pregnant (I lucked out and started in B corral because of a previous 10K time, and had a lot of extra time padding to get me through the end!)

We all have that fear. I still say it's better to try and possibly fail, then never try and never know. And with 6 months to go, there is PLENTY of time to get moving and walk this bad girl. Disney races are so fun, empowering, non threatening as far as other racers go... I love it.

If you feel up to it, you know you will have tons of support here!

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #157
Shananana
Mouseketeer

I have a baseline!

I did it! I ran on the treadmill today and here's my baseline:
I ran for 20 minutes (and walked for 8)
While running, I went 1.75 miles. I finish just over 2 miles.

Later this week, I will work my way up to 3 miles!

Old 07-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #158
Leskash75
Mouseketeer

Question Registered and Reserved

I have already registered think i Have talked my sister into it too. She is a marathon manaic so this is no big deal.

Question: I made reservations at Castle Inn in march. I have older children so need a larger room. Has anyone stayed at this property? how is this is in relation to starting line?
Leskash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #159
Leskash75
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaerv View Post
3 - Fear. I should put this one on top because its the biggun. I'm mostly afraid that I'll fail. That I'll be picked up by the sweepers. That I'll be the big, fat woman fooling herself that she can complete a half-marathon. That I won't even get that far -- that I'll abandon all efforts after a few weeks and not ever even see the start line, let alone the finish line.
:
I too have never been a runner - not ever. Like I rode my bike as a kid along side my running cousins. I decided this is a good challenge and goal for me. I am doing the galloway training first for a half in September and then Tinkerbell. Saturday I ran/walked 8 miles - which was the longest run of my life and i was so nervous. my daughter runs with me. when we got to Mile 6 - I was like we are going to do this. Quite empowering. I constantly have talked myself out of things. No more.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #160
jessicaerv
Mouseketeer

Okay, I want to get all the costs put together so that I can have all my ducks in a row when I speak with my DH. Can someone tell me if I'm in the right ballpark? What am I missing?

Registration fee: $150 (if I do it soon)
Running Shoes: $100 (????)
Workout/Running Clothes: $100 (seriously - I don't have anything)
Plane tickets: $150
Hotel: $500 (3 nights at $150/nt plus taxes)

Looking like this spur of the moment idea of mine would cost upwards of 1 grand!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #161
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaerv View Post
Okay, I want to get all the costs put together so that I can have all my ducks in a row when I speak with my DH. Can someone tell me if I'm in the right ballpark? What am I missing?

Registration fee: $150 (if I do it soon)
Running Shoes: $100 (????)
Workout/Running Clothes: $100 (seriously - I don't have anything)
Plane tickets: $150
Hotel: $500 (3 nights at $150/nt plus taxes)

Looking like this spur of the moment idea of mine would cost upwards of 1 grand!
Yeah, it can add up. It sounds about right though. Some tips though ~ check out Target for clothes, they have a really great/cheapish selection now. Also if you have a Sports Authority around, they always have coupons in their ads on Sunday and they have a decent clearance section. The running shirt I picked up for the DL 1/2 ended up only being $11! Don't skimp on shoes, you feet really can tell. As for plane tix, fingers crossed, but Southwest had a great sale last year in Oct. I ended up getting a RT for $70 from SJ. Nice thing about them is you can always play around when there's a sale. Don't know if you're set on a particular hotel, but if you're not, check around. I'm at BWPPI and it's $90/per w/ my AAA card. That'll save at least a little.

The big killer is/can be the expo. Not only the race merchandise, but the different vendors that have things. It can be dangerous!

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #162
Leskash75
Mouseketeer

I say too don't skimp on shirts either and invest in body glide
Old 07-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #163
Leskash75
Mouseketeer

What is closest airport to disneyland
Old 07-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #164
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leskash75 View Post
what is closest airport to disneyland
sna

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #165
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran

I don't even want to know how much this race is going to cost me! I'm splurging on myself and staying at DLH and I'm flying in from Canada. I'm doing both races too. PLus park tickets and the expo shopping and the eating and...and...and....

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

My 2007 WDW pre-trippie is all grown up - its a trippie now!

July 1994 - Disneymoon at Dixie Landings Feb 1996 - Dixie Landings October 1999 - Belle's first trip Dixie Landings Feb 2001 - Tink's first trip Dixie Landings Sept 2007 - POP with free dining! Dec 2008 - POP July 2011 - Disneyland! Jan 2012 - POP

Up next - Tink 1/2 marathon and Princess 1/2 marathon Coast2Coast baby! Uh oh - Dumbo Double Dare
kindakrazy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: