Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #91
ByKnight
Look out WORLD here we come!

Great report

I am loving the report! I am sad we are missing Alaska this year we are doing the repositioning after the Alaska season. I hope the pools will be heated for that as well. How do you know what dinning rotation you will have. I want to book palo for Parrot cay but I don't know when that will be for us?

DL 1973--WDW 1983-- DL GCH 05(7 Days) -- DL 2008 (1 Day) -- DL Best Western Park Place 2009(6 Days) -- DL House rental 2011 (13 Days)
DLC Wonder September 2012
DL (9 Days) September 2012
ByKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #92
scrapbookingpro
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByKnight View Post
I am loving the report! I am sad we are missing Alaska this year we are doing the repositioning after the Alaska season. I hope the pools will be heated for that as well. How do you know what dinning rotation you will have. I want to book palo for Parrot cay but I don't know when that will be for us?
I'm sure they will heat the pools for you!! Be sure to check them often

You don't find out your dining rotation until you check in at the port. It is printed on your key to the world card. I believe you can request a specific rotation, but we have never done this so I don't know how well it works. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing what night you will have Parrot Cay.
Worst case scenario, I would say you can always go and try to change your Palo reservation once you get on the ship and find out your exact rotation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenf22 View Post
Thanks for yhe great tips! I've written them all down in my folder.

Quick question - did you like the side of the ship your room was on? We're on deck 7 aft, but on the opposite side of the ship as you. Does it matter?
I know you will find lots of different opinions on this, but here is mine:

We loved the side we were on. My mom's room was on the opposite side. For the record, she was perfectly happy with the views from her side. Our side had the Seattle view on days 1 and 8, and that great mountain side view in Skagway. In Tracy Arm, both sides get the same views since the ship goes in and then turns around and comes out.
You are likely to have more of the "open" views, where we had the shoreline view. Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Jax View Post
You are amazing with all these tips! Thanks!

You went to the pirate buffet, but did they also have the dessert buffet?

Also, did it seem like enough people dressed up for pirate night that we won't feel out of place with DS and DH in pirate costumes?
Thank you!!

Would you believe NO dessert buffet?! What a bummer!! We asked our servers specifically because they don't always advertise the dessert buffet. They said no. And I was actually going to be hungry for once, since we had 1st dinner!!

We saw lots of people dressed up for pirate night, some of them very elaborate. You will not feel out of place at all! Many people do hats, t-shirts.....lots of kids in full pirate wear. Plus the characters and entertainment staff are dressed up. You will fit right in

Disney Magic ALASKA cruise - May 2012 : Sailing Without Flip Flops Trip Report
Disney Magic Western Cruise - May 2011
Disney Wonder 4 Day - October 2010
Disney Wonder 4 Day - April 2010
Disney Magic Western Cruise - October 2008
Disney Magic Western Cruise - May 2006
Disney Magic Western Cruise - January 2005
Disney Wonder 3 Day - December 2003
Disney Wonder 3 Day - August 2001

scrapbookingpro is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #93
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

I emailed our travel agent and she put in a dining rotation request for us--it didn't seem to be a big deal at all. No guarantee that we'll get it of course, but it seems to be pretty common that people request dining rotations.

I love that you pretended to be cold when people passed you in the pool. That cracks me up! LOL!

Thanks for the tip on the pirate designs being from the DIS. I'll see if I can find something similar. I'm guessing they're iron-on transfers?

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #94
twindaddy
DIS Veteran

Wait a second, the pirate night buffet has tacos and stuff? On our mexican riviera cruise I just did a quick glance and saw nothing but deserts...damn! I would have loved some tacos and a turkey leg. Maybe they just did that because your was inside?
twindaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:59 AM   #95
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

I was sad they'd stopped doing the dessert buffet as i'd never seen it and had hoped to see it this time. I really like your pirate outfits.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #96
barbbarnes
Earning My Ears

I am still really enjoying your report! I love that you did the park with your son, sometimes they need that time to just be kids especially when we are taking them so much out of their routine. You probably made his day with the park than McDonalds, my kids would think that is wonderful!

I also like that you would look cold to have the pool to yourself. I would totally do the same thing and I hope we also have the chance!

We also booked the Lumberjack show through their website for myself, dh, and our youngest ds (3) because my husband's mom and 2 sisters are taking my ds (10) and dd (7) on the excursion with the the lumberjack show and the Potlach park totems. I hate not being with my whole family but you had to be 5 to go on this excursion to do the youth activity and Disney couldn't make any exceptions. I'm hoping we can leave the lumberjack show and make it to the totems maybe via taxi but after reading your report, maybe we won't be able to. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks again for sharing your Wonderful trip!
barbbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #97
scrapbookingpro
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisSarahK View Post

Thanks for the tip on the pirate designs being from the DIS. I'll see if I can find something similar. I'm guessing they're iron-on transfers?
Yes, iron-on transfers, done not so well, lol. If you saw them up close they were a little less than perfect, but they were fine for this night. The Designer that I borrowed the design from was Milliepie. She does a LOT of awesome designs and she doesn't mind sharing
Her site is here: http://s628.photobucket.com/profile/milliesky

Quote:
Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
Wait a second, the pirate night buffet has tacos and stuff? On our mexican riviera cruise I just did a quick glance and saw nothing but deserts...damn! I would have loved some tacos and a turkey leg. Maybe they just did that because your was inside?
Haha, nope, I'm afraid you've been missing out!! We've done 8 other cruises with outdoor pirate buffets and they always have tacos and turkey legs. It's a MUST for you next time!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
I was sad they'd stopped doing the dessert buffet as i'd never seen it and had hoped to see it this time. I really like your pirate outfits.
Thanks
And seriously, I'm so sad with you about the buffet. I LOVED the chocolate covered.....well, everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbbarnes View Post
I am still really enjoying your report! I love that you did the park with your son, sometimes they need that time to just be kids especially when we are taking them so much out of their routine. You probably made his day with the park than McDonalds, my kids would think that is wonderful!

I also like that you would look cold to have the pool to yourself. I would totally do the same thing and I hope we also have the chance!

We also booked the Lumberjack show through their website for myself, dh, and our youngest ds (3) because my husband's mom and 2 sisters are taking my ds (10) and dd (7) on the excursion with the the lumberjack show and the Potlach park totems. I hate not being with my whole family but you had to be 5 to go on this excursion to do the youth activity and Disney couldn't make any exceptions. I'm hoping we can leave the lumberjack show and make it to the totems maybe via taxi but after reading your report, maybe we won't be able to. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks again for sharing your Wonderful trip!
Thank you for your "park" comments, those were my thoughts exactly!! Sometimes it's great just to watch them play

It's a shame they can't take little ones for the Potlatch excursion! I really think that you will be FINE going to Potlatch Park on your own by cab. If we had been willing to take a cab, we could have done it, it was the whole "cheap bus" thing that threw us off. Definitely go for it! I hear it's very very nice. The show was only an hour, so you should have a good 3 hours for the park

Old 06-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #98
scrapbookingpro
DIS Veteran

Day Six, Part 3

I lost my focus and forgot I need to finish day 6!

SO.
It was 3:30 in the afternoon of day 6. Time for some trivia!! It really was one of our favorite activities. We went to Disney Theme Park Trivia Part 2. This was a very popular trivia I think, since the lounge was pretty full. A lot of people recognized us from our first win, and the pressure was ON. It didn't help that my DH showed up wearing the hat we won the first time. LOL, he wasn't trying to be a jerk, he just really liked the hat. Now, across the room I see the team that came in second to us last time. They see us too. We do some "friendly competition" stare downs.

The questions seem easier this time. My brother was playing with us, and he knew a lot of the "Disneyland" questions, while DH was nailing all the "Disney World" questions. But I thought for sure we were going to lose this time. The competition team were pretty pleased with themselves. I watched them celebrate question after question, while we missed "easy" ones we should have known. CRUSH IS 150 YEARS OLD!!! EVERYONE WRITE THAT DOWN. What a silly point to lose!! (I am possibly too competitive at times).

So once again it came down to us and the 2nd place team from last time.
Our host Stephen said "Remain standing if you have more than 56 correct....." We stayed standing. They sat down. YES!!!

We had 57 right out of 60. Now don't worry, we love to win but we're not greedy! We gave our prizes to the 2nd place team. They gave us a GREAT run for our money. We talked to them a bit after and they were very nice.

As we were leaving, Donald appeared out of nowhere, wearing his fancy formal attire. He stopped for a quick photo.

Then Mickey came out right behind him! We felt slightly under dressed.

And we took that as a hint- it must be time to get ready for semi-formal night!! Back to the room we go.

Guess which one of us was not happy about semi-formal night......

It's OK, he perked up a bit later.

Then he decided that "showing off" would make a fun photo shoot.

I love these photo opportunities. I am a scrapbooker, so I always want to GET THE PHOTO.

Hey Snow White!

Tonight we were back in Animator's Palate with the Captain's Gala Menu.

This was very yummy Fettuccine with Parmesan-Crusted Chicken :

Too bad I was having that "end of cruise" syndrome where your stomach finally can't take it any more, and I had to give up half way through dinner.

But somehow I pulled it together and ate a whole Mickey Bar:

*This is a pretty well known tip, but I want to tell you again- you CAN order Mickey Bars any time at dinner. Once our server brought us a whole bowl of them! You can also order them from room service. DO IT.

DS had his plate of apples every night.

DH had the Warm Chocolate Lava Cake

AND the Banana Creme Brulee

We love our servers.

Now of course my son fell asleep again at dinner. This time I was convinced he would stay asleep. DH picked him up to take him to the room and he didn't even stir. He was OUT.

MK and I went to the lobby for some pics with Minnie
While we were in line, DH suddenly appeared holding DS, awake but crabby. I said "What happened?!" Apparently DS woke up in the room and immediately wanted his Mama.
And of course he did NOT want to miss Disney Dreams either, so I said he could stay up, but he also refused to take a picture with Minnie That happens when you're over tired.

We got him to the show and he was completely enthralled with every minute of it. Disney Dreams is a favorite of most people. I personally love (most of) it, but I have also traveled with people who just aren't interested.
My mom's friend Ralph for example, couldn't have cared less and he walked out in the middle of Toy Story because it was "too loud", lol. I guess everyone has their own opinion.

Back in the room, we had DS asleep by 10PM.
The sun was just going down:

DH's slippers.

One thing I just LOVE about cruising is the turn down service. It is such a good feeling to walk into your room after a very hard day of playing and see the bed perfectly turned down, the curtains closed, the soft lighting and everything clean! I think if I won the lottery I would consider having someone do this in my house. Not to mention the fun towel animals and the next days Navigator. DH always lets me read it first. That is love.

DH ran up to deck 9 for pizza. We ate it in bed.
Tonight we had to set the clocks ahead 1 hour, so it already felt super late.
We were SO tired.

Tomorrow- VICTORIA!!

Around the ship this night:
70's music, movies, variety act Michael Harrison, late-night piano, and family karaoke.

*Note about the kids clubs, if you don't know:
They keep those clubs hoppin' late into the night. If you and your family are night owls, have no fear- The Oceaneer Lab had activities scheduled until midnight! This particular night there was a kids Piston Cup Challenge at 11PM.
So, enjoy your evenings!

Old 06-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #99
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

I'm so glad to hear that you can do dinner and the show and still get kiddos to bed by 10pm--my little guy is a complete grump if he stays up late! 10pm is pushing it, but I'm hoping he'll last that late.

I'm a scrapbooker too (this year I'm doing Project Life by Becky Higgins and loving it...a different twist on scrapping) so seeing your pictures is fantastic! I think I'm still going to do a traditional scrapbook for our cruise (in addition to some pictures in our PL album).

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:50 AM   #100
scrapbookingpro
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisSarahK View Post
I'm so glad to hear that you can do dinner and the show and still get kiddos to bed by 10pm--my little guy is a complete grump if he stays up late! 10pm is pushing it, but I'm hoping he'll last that late.

I'm a scrapbooker too (this year I'm doing Project Life by Becky Higgins and loving it...a different twist on scrapping) so seeing your pictures is fantastic! I think I'm still going to do a traditional scrapbook for our cruise (in addition to some pictures in our PL album).
The 10PM bedtime was definitely pushing it for us too, but generally the show would end at 9:30. We'd take him up to brush teeth and read one story and he would go out really quickly. Then of course, fall asleep at dinner.

Nice to meet a fellow scrapbooker!! I have seen some of the Project Life albums that Becky has- they look really good. I am still about 2 years behind on my albums, but I try not to think about that!! Cruises are always a challenge for me to scrapbook because we have done so many and all the pages start to look and feel the same. At least this trip will be different!!

Old 06-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #101
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

I'm glad to know DS would be in bed by 10:00, too!

All you moms with kids who can fall asleep in dining rooms amaze me! haha! My DS is so high strung, he NEVER falls asleep anywhere but his bed! Of course...we've never tried to let Mickey wear him out all day! Just maybe......

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #102
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran

Bedtime is my big worry for our cruise! My kids go to bed at 7:00/7:30. My son has only been up past 8:00 once since he was 6 months old. Even 10:00 seems super daunting. There is only an hour difference between us and Alaska, but that means they will be ready for bed the first few nights at like 6:00-right at the start of dinner!! I'm sure it will be fine, but we are really strict bedtime people right now. I may need to loosen that up over the next year! And my I don't see them sleeping at dinner, but we'll see how tired they are!
AZMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #103
barbbarnes
Earning My Ears

I'm sorry if this sounds dumb, as I've never made iron on shirts before. I saw on etsy yesterday that you can but transfers that they email to you but than today I clicked on the link you posted and saw the same cute design. We have dressed as pirates before on the cruise but I thought the shirts are a great idea and would take up less room packing. If any body could shed some light that would be great If I pick a design from the link you posted can I just print them on transfer paper (that I can buy at staples?) than are there instructions on the paper as how to iron them on shirts? Again I'm sorry how I have know idea what is the right way to go about this.
barbbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #104
girlpenguin
Mouseketeer

I worry about bedtime too. I have a 19-month-old who is in her crib by 7:45 every night. Plus, we're 2-3 hours off on the time zone, which means she could be highly crabby at dinnertime. I'm thinking that naps will be critical. My 6-year-old is in bed by 8:00 or so every night as well, but I'm less concerned about her. My plan is to do early dinner, then as soon as dinner is over take everyone back to the room for baths, get them changed into their PJs, then take the baby to the nursery where I hope she will sleep, and take big sister to the show in her PJs, then come back to the room as soon as the show is over and tuck them both into bed.

We'll see how that works in reality.
girlpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #105
scrapbookingpro
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Jax View Post
All you moms with kids who can fall asleep in dining rooms amaze me! haha! My DS is so high strung, he NEVER falls asleep anywhere but his bed! Of course...we've never tried to let Mickey wear him out all day! Just maybe......
I thought the same thing when my son was younger. But cruising can be pretty hard work, so he my surprise you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMermaid View Post
Bedtime is my big worry for our cruise! My kids go to bed at 7:00/7:30. My son has only been up past 8:00 once since he was 6 months old. Even 10:00 seems super daunting. There is only an hour difference between us and Alaska, but that means they will be ready for bed the first few nights at like 6:00-right at the start of dinner!! I'm sure it will be fine, but we are really strict bedtime people right now. I may need to loosen that up over the next year! And my I don't see them sleeping at dinner, but we'll see how tired they are!
Well, I know every child is different, of course, but maybe if I tell you our experience it will help a little.

We have been cruising with DS since he was just over a year old. That first cruise was pretty rough for us as far as sleeping goes. I was DETERMINED that he should stay on his regular schedule and I committed myself to getting him to take his regular naps and everything. This, in our case, turned out to be a huge waste of time, and good vacation time at that. One day I spend nearly 90 minutes pushing him around deck 4 trying to get him to fall asleep like he does at home. It was just NOT going to happen. He was too excited and didn't want to miss anything. No matter how hard we tried, he would lie awake until well after 10 and still wake up at 6 every morning. I never gave up the attempted naps. We would go down to the room every afternoon and take turns lying down with him so he would sleep. It worked a couple of times, but mostly NOT. 2/3 of the way into the cruise I finally stopped obsessing over it and thought, hey- it's vacation, not forever. He'll sleep when he's tired! And he did. When we got home, he went back to his regular schedule almost immediately.

I guess my advice would be to try not to worry about it- they will be off their schedule but they will be having a blast, and when they are tired, they will sleep, even if it's at dinner. We have taken this approach on recent cruises and it has worked well, even twice when we had LATE DINNER. They adjust so well to changes like that. And when you are home it will be back to the routine.

Again, I know kids are different, but that is what worked for us I'm sure you guys will be fine!

Also a reminder about the time change:
You have to set your clocks back one hour on the 2nd night of the cruise, and then forward again on night 6. It is a lot of time changes in a short period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlpenguin View Post
I worry about bedtime too. I have a 19-month-old who is in her crib by 7:45 every night. Plus, we're 2-3 hours off on the time zone, which means she could be highly crabby at dinnertime. I'm thinking that naps will be critical. My 6-year-old is in bed by 8:00 or so every night as well, but I'm less concerned about her. My plan is to do early dinner, then as soon as dinner is over take everyone back to the room for baths, get them changed into their PJs, then take the baby to the nursery where I hope she will sleep, and take big sister to the show in her PJs, then come back to the room as soon as the show is over and tuck them both into bed.

We'll see how that works in reality.
I hope you have better luck with naps than we did!! I just could NOT understand how my son could be SO exhausted but just REFUSE to nap! It drove me absolutely bonkers.

We were 3 hours off this trip too. And then, like I mentioned above, you have to set your clock back again on the ship. I never did adjust to the constant time changes. I always felt "off".

The "early dinner/PJ plan" is exactly what we did. We always had DS in his PJs for the show and I always kind of hoped he would just fall asleep on my lap during the show, but of course he never did. We would just take him straight back to the room after and put him right to bed. Hopefully it will work for you!

It's so hard to be helpful because kids are just so unpredictable, but I SO understand your concerns and hope you have a blast no matter what!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: