Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #76
scrapbookingpro
DIS Veteran

Photos

Sorry about the photo trouble everyone. I am working on it now!

Disney Magic ALASKA cruise - May 2012 : Sailing Without Flip Flops Trip Report
Disney Magic Western Cruise - May 2011
Disney Wonder 4 Day - October 2010
Disney Wonder 4 Day - April 2010
Disney Magic Western Cruise - October 2008
Disney Magic Western Cruise - May 2006
Disney Magic Western Cruise - January 2005
Disney Wonder 3 Day - December 2003
Disney Wonder 3 Day - August 2001

scrapbookingpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #77
jenf22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbookingpro View Post
Sorry about the photo trouble everyone. I am working on it now!
I'm sorry about that... I've probably looked at your pictures so many times myself, I've used up all your bandwidth

Yours is my favorite trip report (shh... don't tell anyone!)
Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean - October 2014
Fantasy Western Caribbean - September 2013
Wonder Alaskan - September 2012
Magic Bahamian - May 2012
jenf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #78
scrapbookingpro
DIS Veteran

Ahhh, photos fixed, yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisSarahK View Post
I've read great things on here about Judy and her limo...and your trip to Mendenhall is kind of making me wish I'd gone with her instead of the private whale watching trip. That waterfall looks amazing!!
Judy was great and we really loved Mendenhall. But I would have loved to see some whales too!!! I know you'll have an awesome time

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDuck1 View Post
Did you book the limo through Disney or yourself???
We booked on our own, after reading some good reviews here on the Dis.
We used Juneau Limo Services: http://www.juneaulimo.com/Pages/default.aspx
They were very easy to work with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
That is a cute playground.
It IS, right? My son LOVED it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotomu212 View Post
No need to explain or justify the playground.
It's nice to know that other parents understand!! Some of my friends thought we were crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenf22 View Post
I'm sorry about that... I've probably looked at your pictures so many times myself, I've used up all your bandwidth

Yours is my favorite trip report (shh... don't tell anyone!)
LOL, it is fixed now for YOU!! I love sharing so I'm so glad you keep looking .

Old 06-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #79
scrapbookingpro
DIS Veteran

JUNEAU Part 2

Back on the ship!
All Aboard Time: 2:00PM

We were pretty hungry when we got back on the ship. DS had eaten already- we had stopped at McDonalds. I wasn't going to tell you guys that, but I didn't want you to think i was starving my kid. It was NOT my idea to get fast food. But the secret is out, so there you go.
DH and I did NOT eat, so we were starving. We had planned to stop and eat somewhere in Juneau, but the time got away from us and we ended up saying "Oh, just wait till we get back on the ship."

NOW, that doesn't mean that I don't have some good advice for you. If you like the good "touristy" places, we heard great things about Tracy's Crab Shack. People say it is a bit pricy, but the sea food is really quite good.

My brother can't stand eating anywhere that is overly touristy, so after his dogsled excursion he asked around in town for a really good place to eat that wasn't touristy. He was directed "over the bridge" (you would need a cab) to a place called The Island Pub, which he RAVED about and said was the best pizza he ever had.
http://www.theislandpub.com/

So, there you have it. I hope you don't eat at McDonalds.

At 2:15 there was a Wii Challenge scheduled, so I agreed to take DS, who loves to play Wii. I like to think that his game playing is well monitored and he never spends "too much time" playing, but well, that is probably exaggerating the truth a tad. We are working on it.

There were a couple of other kids playing. And then a couple of adults showed up to play against the kids, which was brave of them because they had never played before. Robin was the host.

DH went up to deck 9 to grab us some food. We had basic "pool" food- hot dogs, salad, hamburger. It was OK. We finished eating right as Wii was ending and they were about to start Origami.

We decided to go back to the room for a bit. We were feeling tired from all the walking earlier, and the go-go-go schedule we had been keeping.

Here are some things that were going on around the ship:
Toddler Time, BINGO, Pirate trivia, Mojiito tasting, Art of the Theme Show Tour and a couple of movies.

Back in the room, we started to get ready for pirate night. We usually do dress up, at least a little bit. This trip we brought some silly matching T-shirts and various accessories. I wasn't sure how this was going to go since I knew that Pirate Night would not be the same here as it is in the Caribbean.

I actually did see plenty of people dressed up, which was really fun. We went up at 5PM for some pirate character pics.

Here's Stich (love him)

Captain Hook and Smee:

Chip and Dale liked our shirts

They had this great backdrop set out with no line:

And soon it was dinner time!
So, instead of the pirate menu and all the waiters dressed in pirate clothes, tonight was the Taste of Alaska menu. The menu was fine but it definitely didn't feel like pirate night to me.
Here's what the waiters wear:

The Taste of Alaska menu is posted here:http://allears.net/cruise/men_tak.htm

They still hand out bandanas:

DH had the Roasted Dill-Scented Chicken:

Sorry to be boring, but I had a salad and a baked potato. Picky eaters are such a pain!!

Now I have room for 2 desserts!
The VERY yummy Cool N Crunch Sundae

Skagway Chocolate Truffle Torte

That sundae was no joke! So good.
Nearly everyone else at our table had the Crab Legs and said they were very good.

After dinner there was time for more pirate pictures!
Captain Jack:

DS with Robin:

As you can see, the entertainment staff still wear their pirate clothes!
Lovin' this backdrop! It was on deck 4, right next to where Chip and Dale were doing their set:

A quick pic on the veranda:

PS, if you're wondering what the shirts say, DH was "Salty", I was "Saucy", my mom was "Siren" and DS was "Rascal"

Old 06-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #80
scrapbookingpro
DIS Veteran

We decided to change into comfy clothes for the show, which was Toy Story.
Of course, after we changed we found Peter Pan:

He didn't mind. He said we looked like Lost Boys. hehe, good one Peter.

Slippers at the show!

My son likes Toy Story. To be perfectly honest, it is not my favorite show. I am secretly in love with Twice Charmed on the Magic, so- I handled it.
It was still fun.

Time to go down and put DS to bed.
There weren't really a lot of activities happening this night. The Pirate Party was scheduled for 10PM and afterward they were showing both POTC:Curse of the Black Pearl (Funnel Vision) and POTC: On Stranger Tides (Buena Vista Theater).

DS fell asleep very quickly and I went up to film a little of the Pirate Party. I just wanted to get some footage I could use for editing. The party was inside the lobby on deck 3, and forgive me, but it just doesn't really work in there. I don't want to sound like a big downer, because it will still be really fun if your kids are into it and you like dancing and being silly.
But I really missed the fireworks and the other things that go on in the outdoor party. It just didn't feel right to me.

I watched for a bit, then decided to go over and see if the buffet was open yet. They would be having the buffet inside as well, in BBB. For whatever reason, I chose to go straight up to deck 9 and walk outside all the way over to BBB. Let me tell you, it was SO weird. I was the ONLY human out there. It was completely deserted and dark. Not scary at all, just darker and quieter than I have ever seen deck 9. It made me feel strangely lonely.

It was also quite cold, so I didn't linger. The buffet had just opened when i got there.

If you are not familiar with the Pirate Buffet, they always have the same foods: Taco/fajita bar, giant turkey legs, and lots of desserts.
In the Caribbean they always have crepes and ice cream too. They might have had them here, but I didn't walk all the way around so i can't be sure. I actually forgot to look for them, and regretted it because the crepes are really good.

Taco bar:

DH went up after I came back. He really enjoys the fajitas. One of these days we are going to try the turkey legs. We never do because they are So big, lol.

Tonight's towel animal.

Can anyone name this movie? We ended up watching the same 30 minutes of it EVERY night while we fell asleep

Good night Day 5!!!!!

Old 06-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #81
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

Love your pirate gear! I love doing custom stuff when we go to Disneyland--and most of my kiddos stuff from last September will still fit this August. I think we need some pirate attire though. Yours is cute! Did you make it or get it from Etsy? I love the sashes and your son's cute pants!

My six year old will be all over the Wii tournament. Good to know that little guys are welcome. He, to my dismay, is a Wii addict.

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #82
gojulia
Earning My Ears

I am enjoying every word of your trip report! Thank you for sharing! We leave on July 23rd for our cruise and we are first time cruisers, so this is all new to me!

And I would have ended up at the playground with my kids too.... good call! Looks like a fun one!

Quick question... and this is probably a dumb one. If I can't get Palo reservations online because they are all sold out, is there a chance of getting some once we get on the ship?

Thanks!
gojulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #83
scrapbookingpro
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Love your pirate gear! I love doing custom stuff when we go to Disneyland--and most of my kiddos stuff from last September will still fit this August. I think we need some pirate attire though. Yours is cute! Did you make it or get it from Etsy? I love the sashes and your son's cute pants!

My six year old will be all over the Wii tournament. Good to know that little guys are welcome. He, to my dismay, is a Wii addict.
Thanks!! I made the shirts myself, but I got the mickey head design from one of the great Disigners here on the Dis. I wanted something cute, but simple too. Dressing up for pirate night makes for some CUTE pictures, so go for it if you can!!

Your son, like mine, will love all of the Wii on board. They play it lots of times (always some kind of sport)- sometimes it is scheduled in the kids clubs for the kids and other times it is in Wave Bands, or Diversions for any age. I have a video of my son being asked what he looked forward to most on the cruise ship. His answer was elevators and Wii. Hmmm, priorities......

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojulia View Post
I am enjoying every word of your trip report! Thank you for sharing! We leave on July 23rd for our cruise and we are first time cruisers, so this is all new to me!

And I would have ended up at the playground with my kids too.... good call! Looks like a fun one!

Quick question... and this is probably a dumb one. If I can't get Palo reservations online because they are all sold out, is there a chance of getting some once we get on the ship?

Thanks!
Thank you!! Wow, your cruise is coming up soon! I feel so excited for you!!!
You will just LOVE the ship.
YES, for sure there is still a chance you can book Palo on the ship. We have been able to do it many times. The trick is to get on board as early as you can. Then resist the urge to go straight to lunch and instead go immediately to WaveBands, located in Route 66 on Deck 3. They are there from 12:30 - 3:30 taking reservations. The sooner you get there the better chance to have of getting a table. Honestly, if you go right away I would think you would have no trouble getting a reservation. We have always been able to snag one, except once, but that was only a 3 day cruise.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #84
scrapbookingpro
DIS Veteran

Day six, ketchikan

What to Expect, Ketchikan:

We did the Great Alaskan Lumber Jack Show
All Ashore Time: 7:15AM
All Aboard Time:12:30PM

Dinner was the semi-formal, Captain's Gala menu; show was Disney Dreams.

Ketchikan. My DS loved saying this. Ketchikan. He thought every port was Ketchikan. But here we are, finally in Ketchikan.

It was another early morning. We get up pretty early at home, but not as early as we were getting up on these port days, and since DS was staying up late every night, he was getting harder and harder to wake up in the morning.
Today he slept through DH and I getting ready, and slept through DH coming into the room with a breakfast tray from upstairs, and still didn't wake up while we ate our breakfast. I finally had to get him up around 7:15 and I felt bad because he was just so tired.

We were ready by 7:35. Our plan today was to go to the 8:00AM showing of The Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show. Again, this choice was made based on budget, time and appeal to DS. My whole group chose different activites this time. MK and RJ were off to do some zip lining. My mom and Ralph were doing the Adventure Karts. Both these things sounded like a lot of fun to me, but not for a 5 year old, so Lumberjacks, here we come!! We booked this ourselves, just by ordering tickets from their website:
http://lumberjacksports.com/

They had 2 shows, one at 8:00 and one at 11:00. The 8AM show was the "special Disney version".

We walked off the ship, and I should mention that we actually brought our stroller today. I knew we might end up walking around the town and I knew that DS was already really tired. So, we put him in the stroller with his blanket. If any of you are wondering, the stroller fits perfectly in the closet or under the bed, so it stays completely out of the way until you need it.

We had some rain this morning- not a lot, but a steady drizzle. We walked to the end of the dock and asked a CM where the lumberjack show was. They pointed, and it was right in front of us, so that was nice. We hurried over and went inside the cozy gift shop. They had a fire going in there and everything.

Here is the outside:

And the show area:

The seats are all covered and dry. These interesting girls will help you find a seat:

We chose this show because we heard it was fun for kids. This is very true, the kids in the audience were having a GREAT time. They picked lots of kids to come up and help throughout the show, and there was lots of cheering and booing and interaction. DH and I also had a really good time. Sure it's corny, but we laughed a lot. The lumberjacks divided into two "teams" and you would scream and yell for the ones on your team. When they won a competition, they would bring wood chips, or sometimes big chunks of wood, and give them to audience members on their side.

The host was called "Lost Boy Lee"

Lumberjacks in action:

What makes the show "special" for Disney? Pretty much just this:

You can catch them after the show for photos:

It was a really good time and DS really enjoyed it. It was only about 9:30 when we left.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #85
scrapbookingpro
DIS Veteran

It was still raining on and off when we left. Our original plan was to try to go to one of the Totem Pole Parks, either Totem Bight or Saxman. We walked through town a little ways and then stopped at a little "tourist info" place to see if we could make this happen. Remember, All Ashore time is 12:30PM, and it was already about 9:45AM.

The nice "info" woman told us that Totem Bight was too far- we wouldn't make it there and back in time. Saxman was only a couple of miles away and we could take a bus there really cheap. She gave us a bus schedule.

We thought it over. The bus schedule was a bit tricky. Either we would get there and only have 20 minutes to look around, OR we get there and stay for an hour and 20 minutes but risk missing the 12:30 All Ashore time.
DH was NOT willing to take this risk, and I didn't want to go for just 20 minutes, so- for the first time this trip we didn't have a plan and didn't know what to do.

I remembered reading that there were Totem Poles out back at Cape Fox Lodge. I asked the info lady. She said we could walk there. Done, let's go.

The rain stopped. The walk was really nice. We passed a creek and saw some seals.

To get up to the lodge we took the scenic tram ride 130 feet up the mountain side. My DS thought this was very cool.

A view from the tram:

The Lodge was nice and cozy. The rain started again. We hung out inside for awhile, looking around.

We found the totem poles out back:

The view out from the Lodge-

A different view-

We rode the tram back down the hill and walked down the historic Creek Street. It had stopped raining. We went in some of the little shops.

There were several other totem poles around town:

It was a nice little walk and we enjoyed it, though I do wish we could have seen one of the totem parks. I suppose things don't always go according to plan.

Back to the ship for lunch-

Old 06-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #86
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

So glad the Lumberjack Show is fun! I bought tickets for that one too--straight from the website. I'm glad you stay dry, too! I think my kiddos will love it!

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #87
scrapbookingpro
DIS Veteran

Ketchikan, part 2

We decided to have lunch at Tritons. We met up with MK and RJ to eat.

Triton's lunch is yummy. I had a really good turkey sandwich:

DS ate some pasta- and french fries of COURSE.

DH had meatloaf-

And strawberry shortcake off the kids menu for dessert.

We talked about our days and MK told us all about zip lining. He said they had a blast, but they got poured on. He said there were lots of different zip lines, and a giant slide at the very end. They booked through Disney on this one.

After lunch we all wanted to go to the hot tub. Outside the sun was miraculously out again

We went and changed and met again on deck 9. All of us got into the hot tub. We were the only ones there. It was wonderful and felt so good in the water!!

Then DH, the dare devil, said he was going to try the Goofy Pool. Last time he did that he froze his booty off and we all laughed. This time we watched as he stuck a toe in- then his leg. Then he jumped all the way in.
I thought he was crazy.
He said Come try- it's warmer in here!

Really?? We tried. It was like swimming in a giant bath tub! Soooo warm and fun!!! And we had it all to ourselves! When people walked by and gave us "your crazy" looks, we pretended to be really cold.

DS decided to check the Mickey Pool. That was warm too.

Trust me, it is VERY rare to have the pools all to yourself!!

We had so much fun! Be sure and check the pools often to see if they are warm. You may end up with your own private swim time
But do be warned that getting out.....FREEZING!!!

They do have nice big blankets up at all the pools, by where they keep the towels. These came in handy for us.

Mind you, later that day people started to figure it out and the pool got very crowded. But for that moment, it was all ours

We stayed until about 3PM, then went to the room to change.

DS enjoying the veranda-

I am looking back at my navigator- there were lots of activities going on today.
Cruisin for Trivia, Chip it Golf, Family Wonder Quest, more BINGO, Wine Tasting, Pictionary, lots of movies on Funnel Vision, and the princesses in the lobby.

*And a quick note for those who have never cruised before:
Both the Promenade Lounge and Diversions have lots of board games out that you can play at almost any time. If your family likes games, it is a nice way to pass an afternoon. They have all different kinds, from yahtzee to Jenga to Monopoly.

*Also another tip you might not know-
They often have snacks and treats in certain places on the ship that they don't necessarily tell you about. In Diversions you can often find things like nachos, hot wings and hot dogs. In Cove Cafe you can usually find sweet treats in the refrigerated case next to the coffee bar. These things are all free. At night they set food out in the Promenade Lounge and sometimes outside of WaveBands. We saw mini sandwiches, fruit and spanakopita one night.

*Another tip for first time cruisers-
Cove Cafe is an awesome, relaxing place to pass the time. It is adults only and they have big comfy chairs, magazines, music to listen to, free treats, etc. You can sit inside or outside. It is very lovely and I wish I had had more time to hang out there this trip.

Anyway, where was I-
Oh yes, time to get ready for.....
Disney theme Park Trivia part 2! We have to defend our title.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #88
scrapbookingpro
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So glad the Lumberjack Show is fun! I bought tickets for that one too--straight from the website. I'm glad you stay dry, too! I think my kiddos will love it!
They will love it! Make sure they volunteer (if they want)- they get prizes!
The things they had them do were not hard- your 6 year old will be able to do everything just fine.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #89
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

You are amazing with all these tips! Thanks!

You went to the pirate buffet, but did they also have the dessert buffet?

Also, did it seem like enough people dressed up for pirate night that we won't feel out of place with DS and DH in pirate costumes?

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #90
jenf22
DIS Veteran

Thanks for yhe great tips! I've written them all down in my folder.

Quick question - did you like the side of the ship your room was on? We're on deck 7 aft, but on the opposite side of the ship as you. Does it matter?
Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean - October 2014
Fantasy Western Caribbean - September 2013
Wonder Alaskan - September 2012
Magic Bahamian - May 2012
jenf22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: