Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #31
scrapbookingpro
DIS Veteran

Time for us to change for dinner. We went to the lobby at 5:30 to grab a couple of character pictures.
Kenai and Koda were out:

Also, this was the day to catch the characters in their "Alaska" outfits. We missed Mickey which i am really sad about

But here is Minnie:

And Donald:

Chip and Dale don't have Alaska wear.

The ship is sailing away from the glacier now:

Dinner at Animator's Palate tonight, show dinner.

My DH had this. I think it was the Veal Chop:

Apple Crumble, so yummy:

After dinner we walked through the gift shop. they have several things specific to Alaska, but I wish they had a lot more. I really wanted a shirt that said Alaska Cruise or something on it. They had a couple but they were all too "boyish" for me.

The show tonight was the specialty act Wayne Hoffman. We were not that interested, but my DS was thrilled about going, so we went.

He did some CRAZY mind tripping stuff. One thing was he opened a can of coke and drank it all and crushed the can, then he made it fix itself, refill with coke and reseal itself. It was very strange to watch. He did some audience mind reading stuff too, that was also really weird.

After the show we had to once again be boring, and go straight to bed. We were just so exhausted every night!

Here is the night's towel friend:

Tomorrow: Skagway

Also, because not all of you go to bed at 10, here were some activities for you:
Who Wants to be a Mouseketeer?, Movies, Alex on Piano, Variety act- Sideshow Bert, Rock "N" Country at Wavebands, and Speakerbox LIVE

Oh, and side note: There were ZERO movies on the Funnel Vision today. Probably a noise issue for the Tracy Arm area.

Disney Magic ALASKA cruise - May 2012 : Sailing Without Flip Flops Trip Report
Disney Magic Western Cruise - May 2011
Disney Wonder 4 Day - October 2010
Disney Wonder 4 Day - April 2010
Disney Magic Western Cruise - October 2008
Disney Magic Western Cruise - May 2006
Disney Magic Western Cruise - January 2005
Disney Wonder 3 Day - December 2003
Disney Wonder 3 Day - August 2001

scrapbookingpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #32
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Well done on winning the theme park music trivia it was really hard.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #33
tinkerbellerina
Mouseketeer

We have been debating on what we should do for our 20th anniversary. Your pictures have convinced me that we need to go to Alaska on a Disney Cruise. Thanks so much for posting! I look forward to seeing and reading about the rest of your trip.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #34
girlpenguin
Mouseketeer

Thank you!!!

Thank you SO much for this trip report! I am hanging on every word. We leave on the July 9 cruise, and I've been anxiously awaiting TRs from the Seattle-Seattle folks. Plus, you have a child who is about my daughter's age, so that's very helpful from that perspective. It's really great that you have pictures, too!

I would love to know what was on the Taste of Alaska menu! You mentioned that your son didn't make it through dinner several times. Does that mean that one of you took him back to your room during dinner? How did the time change affect him? We're coming from the central time zone, so we won't be quite as bad as you, but I am very concerned about it. In addition to my 6-year-old, we also have an 18-month old. So it will be interesting
girlpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #35
scrapbookingpro
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Well done on winning the theme park music trivia it was really hard.
Thanks! I can't take any credit, my DH is the one who knows all that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellerina View Post
We have been debating on what we should do for our 20th anniversary. Your pictures have convinced me that we need to go to Alaska on a Disney Cruise. Thanks so much for posting! I look forward to seeing and reading about the rest of your trip.
Yes, DO IT, you will love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlpenguin View Post
I would love to know what was on the Taste of Alaska menu! You mentioned that your son didn't make it through dinner several times. Does that mean that one of you took him back to your room during dinner? How did the time change affect him? We're coming from the central time zone, so we won't be quite as bad as you, but I am very concerned about it. In addition to my 6-year-old, we also have an 18-month old. So it will be interesting
This is last year's menu, but pretty sure it is the same. The crab legs were a big hit.
http://allears.net/cruise/men_tak.htm

We never took our son back to the room. Dinners mostly looked like this:

We tried to take him to bed after dinner but he would always wake up and get upset about missing the show. He wanted to see EVERY show.

The time change was a bit rough, and there is an EXTRA time change on the ship! I think it was the 2nd day, we set our ship clocks back 1 hour. We were in Seattle for a few days before the cruise so he was kind of adjusting to the change (kept waking up really early though) but then that extra change on the ship threw him off again- and us too! Basically the result was that he would wake up really early, then fall asleep around dinner time, then wake up around 7, then go back to sleep at 9:30 or 10. He was all messed up after we got home too, and there were 2 or 3 nights in a row that he slept for 13 hours straight, lol. Poor kid.

Hopefully you won't have as much trouble coming from central time, but watch out for that extra hour on the ship

Old 06-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #36
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbookingpro View Post
We never took our son back to the room. Dinners mostly looked like this:

We tried to take him to bed after dinner but he would always wake up and get upset about missing the show. He wanted to see EVERY show.
Too funny! Your son looks a lot like our 5-year-old at WDW during dinners. (Not only because ours falls asleep during 75% of dinners on vacations of any kind, but because they actually look a lot alike, too!) Looking forward to more updates!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/Poly)
April 2015: WL and AOA!
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #37
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbookingpro View Post
Tracy's arm in Tracy Arm, haha
love it. Thanks for your update!

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #38
Laundress
Mouseketeer

WOW. Great photos and update.
Laundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #39
LoonySeal
Earning My Ears

I love the pictures! Can't wait to see more.
LoonySeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:39 PM   #40
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

I love all the detail you're giving--this is so helpful and interesting! We're booked for Palo brunch at the same time on Tracy Arm day. Fingers crossed we get a window table too!

Where did you get the cute Mickey poncho your son has on? Was that from a previous Disney vacation or did you buy it on board?

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #41
scrapbookingpro
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisSarahK View Post
Where did you get the cute Mickey poncho your son has on? Was that from a previous Disney vacation or did you buy it on board?

LOL, my mom has been carrying that thing around with her for years. I think she got it at Disneyland. But I think they would sell some on board!? Maybe?

Thanks to everyone for the comments!!

I will update Skagway day later this afternoon for sure

Old 06-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #42
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

Thanks for the poncho update...that's what I was afraid of, LOL!

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #43
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

Great report! Thanks for sharing it with us! We can't wait for our sailing on July 23. I have to confess I hope it is a bit warmer.
dismagiclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #44
scrapbookingpro
DIS Veteran

Day FOUR, SKAGWAY!!!

Ah, Skagway, I looked forward to this day SO much!!

We had an All Ashore time of 7:15AM and an All Aboard time of 7:30PM, so tons of time, plus a GREAT excursion planned

We chose.............drum roll............

White Pass Railway and Dogcart Ride!!

I researched the heck out of this thing before we left. 2 things I wanted for certain- the dogcart ride (since we couldn't afford the fancy helicopter/dog sled excursion that cost a million dollars) for my DS, and the train ride for us adults. I specifically wanted to take the train one-way only because I didn't think my DS would appreciate the 3-4 hour round trip ride. So after MUCH reading and looking into all the various options, I found that the best and most affordable choice would be:

Yukon Rail and Bus Excursion with Dogcart Ride booked through Chilkoot Charters
http://www.chilkootcharters.com/

I read a ton of good reviews about Chilkoot and their itinerary was just what I wanted- train ride up the mountain, shuttle ride down with a stop at Carcross for lunch and a dog cart ride. DONE. The cost was $208 for each adult and $148 for DS. I will cut to the chase right now and tell you that it was worth every penny, and we had an AMAZING time.

SO, 7:30AM was out meeting time, yikes. Another very early morning, and this time I actually had to look presentable. Too bad I don't drink coffee.

We had ordered our room service breakfast the night before. It came right on time at 6:45AM.

We managed to get up and dressed on time, and miraculously, so did the rest of the group. Mom and my brother, MK, were joining us on this excursion. Ralph couldn't go because he had no passport, and you MUST have a passport because you cross the border into Canada on the train. RJ did not come because he had decided to just ride the train round trip.

Here's the view we woke up to:

We had no trouble disembarking on time. It had been a concern of mine, but we got off just before 7:30. We were supposed to meet our driver at the "end of the dock" but we weren't exactly sure where that was. There were tons of drivers standing down the road with signs for different companies. It was raining a little bit when we finally found our driver. She said she wasn't actually our driver but we could wait in her van and stay dry while we waited for our actual driver to come.

We only waited about 5 minutes for him to arrive, then we all moved over to get on his shuttle bus.

There were 21 people in our group and DS was the ONLY child. I kind of liked it that way. Our driver's name was James, from Arizona, but he had a very Irish accent. He was great and we liked him immediately.

The drive to the train depot was all of 1 minute. The station is right there at the end of the dock.

Chilkoot has their own car assigned to them, which turned out to be the very last car. We all got in, and I remembered reading that the left side of the train was best to sit on because that is where most of the scenery ends up being. Apparently EVERYONE had gotten that memo, since when we got on the train, the whole left side was full and the right side was empty. I need to be quicker next time.

Here we are, spread out on the right side/wrong side

*For the record, that advice is correct. Try to sit on the left side, it's where everything is!!!

Old 06-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #45
scrapbookingpro
DIS Veteran

Here we GO!!!

So, DS was cozy inside with my mom, hooked up with his Innotab in case he got bored, so DH, MK and I went out to stand on the platform on the back of the train. Originally we just went out to take a picture, but let me tell you, it was AWESOME back there. We ended up staying out there almost the entire time. I couldn't tear myself away- the scenery going by, the air on my face...it was just the best feeling And since we were in the back, basically traveling backwards, we couldn't see what was coming up. Then once in a while an unexpected waterfall would just appear on our left and we'd be like, WHOA!! LOL, so great.

Here are some pictures:

Here is the conductor. Doesn't he just LOOK like a conductor??

Here is a view of the other train coming down the mountain:

Now, being in the back, we couldn't hear the narration form inside the train car. But every now and then, several people would come hurrying out onto the platform saying, "There's a tunnel coming!" or "We're about to cross the bridge!"
I am smiling just remembering. When we saw them all coming, we'd say "Something good must be up ahead!"

Tunnel!!

The rain had stopped ages ago, and it didn't feel all that cold- just my hands were cold and I didn't want to go in to get my gloves! (I did eventually).
There was a bathroom in every car, and they advised up to use it while we could because there are very few bathrooms in Frasier and they always had long lines. Also, a pretty girl came through all of the cars, selling train DVDs and answering people's questions about the train.

I did not much care about any of this, I just stayed outside watching the tracks behind us.

As we got higher we saw more and more SNOW:

And one point we stopped. In the middle of nowhere. Turns out we were letting some hikers off the train. Wow, more power to you if you don't mind getting off a train in the middle of the woods and being left there to hike out.

In this photo you can see the hikers.....

DS came out while we were stopped. He was quite happy to stay inside, so he went back in right away. He was having fun with my mom. I know this wasn't exactly the best excursion for little kids, but he really did have fun, and he LOVED the tunnels.

See how high the snow is?

Now we are crossing into Canada:

The sun is coming out!

We arrived in Canada and were asked to remain sitting until a customs agent had cleared our car. The customs guy was NO joke. He never smiled and he did not look like anyone you should mess with. He checked everyone's passport and then we were cleared to get off.
James was there waiting with the shuttle bus.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: