Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #136
jenf22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryllarsen View Post
We are going on an Alaskan cruise in September. The wait is driving me crazy and reading this trip report doesn't help.
Have you seen our meet thread? We're also on the September Alaskan cruise.
Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean - October 2014
Fantasy Western Caribbean - September 2013
Wonder Alaskan - September 2012
Magic Bahamian - May 2012
jenf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #137
runskyhy
It's not less monkey, it's Moe Monkey!

Loving your trip report! Whole-family vacations are the best kind of vacations and you all looked like you were having the best time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbookingpro View Post
Tracy's arm in Tracy Arm, haha

I just about fell off my chair laughing at this!

RC Oasis, Western Caribbean 03/2014
Disney Fantasy, Western Caribbean 05/2012, 10/2013
Disney Dream, Bahamas 03/2011, 07/2011 , 07/2013
Disney Wonder, Bahamas 03/2006, 03/2009, 10/2009, 02/2013
Caribbean Princess, NE & Canada 10/2012

Disney Magic, Eastern Caribbean 10/2011
Coral Princess, Southbound Inside Passage 06/2010
Carnival Ecstasy, Key West & Cozumel 03/1995
WDW, FL 05/1992, 02/2010, 09/2010, 02/2013
West CA 01/2010, NV 4/2012, AZ 3/2013
runskyhy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #138
MJDisFamCruisers
Mouseketeer

Smile Great Trip Report!

I really enjoyed reading your trip report! My family and I are going on the July 30th Alaskan cruise and I am trying to read up as much as possible on everything about this cruise and your trip report definitely helped! Thanks!
MJDisFamCruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #139
barbbarnes
Earning My Ears

Thanks for a great TR! I loves your pics of Victoria, I'm so glad you wrote about Victoria because I haven't seen much about it. Some of the adults in our party are doing the pub tour, but I don't think I can miss the last dinner. Sometimes when we have been on past cruises they have done an extra performance of a show in the afternoon. Do you know if they did this on the Victoria day? Thanks again!
barbbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #140
scrapbookingpro
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whanna View Post
We just returned from the June 18th sailing (spent a few extra days in Seattle). We had read your trip report before we left and it definitely primed us; thank you. Everyone reading this thread who has an upcoming trip should definitively be getting excited, you will not be let down.

One thing that we did that I wanted to mention to the folks who have not gone yet is The Bering Sea Crab Fisherman Tour in Ketchikan. I can not post links yet (do not have 10 posts), but do a google search and read the trip advisor reports on it, it is rated as the number one tour in Ketchikan.
They were relatively few people who went on the excursion(25-30), compared to the capacity of the boat and the trip was awesome. Of course the traps are loaded, and some of the jokes are tacky, but this was the most relaxing, enjoyable, wildlife interactive thing we did. The boat stays in smooth water, has very comfortable stadium seating, overhead heaters (if needed, our day was 70ish clear and beautiful) from a 2 million dollar plus retrofit of a crab boat. And free coffee, cider, hot chocolate etc...

IF YOU WANT TO SEE AND PHOTOGRAPH BALD EAGLES, THIS IS THE TRIP. The captain will get you very close to shore where there is a multitude of Eagles on some type of Indian/Eskimo reservation where the Federal laws on approaching Raptors are not applicable and the photo ops (up close while they are flying and relatively close while perched) seem endless.

I tried to nutshell this, but could really can not say enough good things about that trip, if you take it, you will not be disappointed.

Whanna
Awesome!! Thanks for sharing your experience! I really hope we get to go back someday so we can try these other great excursions

I'm so glad you had a good trip. And you guys had 70 degree weather?!?! Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenf22 View Post
How did you snag an invite to the Meet and Greet? I have never heard of this. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Love the Victoria pictures - almost makes me a little sad that our cruise isn't going there (since we end in Vancouver).
Victoria was beautiful- I just wish we had more time!

I honestly do NOT know how we got invited to the meet n greet. They don't tell you, they just put the invite in your room......
We do suspect that someone from the entertainment department knew or had worked with Ralph somewhere, since he has done shows all over the place. That is our best guess. I think people usually get invited when they make a big impression on the characters or the greeters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Victoria looks lovely. We didn't stop their as we were on the repo cruise. Love the Queens jubilee banners.

Such cute photos of your DS.
YES, I loved the banners too. It was so pretty

Quote:
Loved looking at the pictures! Thank you for posting.
Thank you!!!!

Quote:
We are going on an Alaskan cruise in September. The wait is driving me crazy and reading this trip report doesn't help.
I hope you have an amazing trip!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by runskyhy View Post
Loving your trip report! Whole-family vacations are the best kind of vacations and you all looked like you were having the best time!
You are so right about whole family vacations. I wish they would happen more often! Thank for the compliment too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJDisFamCruisers View Post
I really enjoyed reading your trip report! My family and I are going on the July 30th Alaskan cruise and I am trying to read up as much as possible on everything about this cruise and your trip report definitely helped! Thanks!
ACK, you are leaving so soon!!!! I am super jealous!! Have fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbbarnes View Post
Thanks for a great TR! I loves your pics of Victoria, I'm so glad you wrote about Victoria because I haven't seen much about it. Some of the adults in our party are doing the pub tour, but I don't think I can miss the last dinner. Sometimes when we have been on past cruises they have done an extra performance of a show in the afternoon. Do you know if they did this on the Victoria day? Thanks again!
It is such a tough choice, isn't it?! So unfair. They did not do an extra performance for us, but I have heard that they may have added one on the cruises after ours. Maybe people were complaining...? I really hope they do, but then you still have to miss dinner, so - bummer!!! If you have nice weather, you may want to just go out for a tiny visit. It's just so lovely.

Disney Magic ALASKA cruise - May 2012 : Sailing Without Flip Flops Trip Report
Disney Magic Western Cruise - May 2011
Disney Wonder 4 Day - October 2010
Disney Wonder 4 Day - April 2010
Disney Magic Western Cruise - October 2008
Disney Magic Western Cruise - May 2006
Disney Magic Western Cruise - January 2005
Disney Wonder 3 Day - December 2003
Disney Wonder 3 Day - August 2001

scrapbookingpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #141
scrapbookingpro
DIS Veteran

DAY SEVEN, VICTORIA (cont.)

Time to finish up this story! Just a couple more things to tell you

We left off at 10:30PM on our last night on the Wonder. My mom nicely agreed to sit with Jonah for a bit even though it was getting late. DH and I NEVER miss the final Pub Night (though they didn't call it that on this cruise).

We love to see the cast members perform "If I Were Not Upon the Sea". It's a very entertaining skit and it's even better if you have spent a lot of time with the cruise staff over the week. We had, so I felt like I knew some of them and I was looking forward to seeing them one final time.

The skit was listed in the navigator as "Pub Skit" and it started at 11PM.
We had just stepped into the hallway from our stateroom when suddenly-

THE ENTIRE SHIP WENT COMPLETELY DARK.

We froze where we were in the pitch black darkness, waiting for some kind of light to come on. After about 30 seconds, which felt like 5 minutes, a cast member appeared with a flashlight.
"Are you guys OK?"
Yep. We're fine.
DH had a flashlight on his key chain. The cast member helped us find it.
We used the flashlight and went back inside our stateroom. Mom and DS were slightly freaked out, but they were fine. We gave them the flashlight.

Out in the hall the emergency lights finally went on. We left again and took the stairs down to Deck 3, destination WaveBands.

WaveBands was packed, since magician Chad Chesmark was in the middle of his final performance. The whole place was dark except for the emergency lights. It was SO strange walking around the ship in the dark like that!!!! I did not feel unsafe at all, I mean- we were in port at the time, so it's not like we could be stranded at sea without power. But it was still a very strange experience.

We found MK and RJ at a table in the back of WaveBands. They said that Chad Chesmark had been entertaining them through the chaos of the blackout. They said he was VERY funny.

Just then the lights suddenly came on. There was a collective sigh of relief from everyone in the crowded room. Whew!! Chad went on with his show.
He was extremely funny- I laughed a lot, plus he had some good magic tricks. I would see him again for sure.

Someone from our cruise posted the video!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPOnmfsd80w

When Chad finished, they started "If I Were Not Upon the Sea". If you have never seen this, do try- it's really fun. (not for kids, of course. It is "adult humor")

No sooner had they finished when the power went out AGAIN!!

Here I am with Robin. He is making a joke about being stranded in Victoria.
Fine by me!!!!!!

When we left WaveBands, the lights were still out (emergency lights only). We walked up the stairs to deck 9 for one last round of pizza.

Then we said our goodbyes to MK and RJ because we knew we would not see them in the morning. They were staying an extra day in Seattle and the rest of us were taking an early flight home in the morning.

Time for bed. It was late. Good night Disney Wonder!!!

Old 07-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #142
scrapbookingpro
DIS Veteran

Day 8

I don't remember when the lights came back, but we were asleep.

The next morning we had to get up very early. I half expected to look out and still see Victoria. That was wishful thinking of course. I opened the veranda to see we were back in Seattle.

Bummer.

We had an early flight, and I know there have been lots of threads about this, so if you have an early flight out of Seattle, read carefully

Our flight was leaving at 11:50AM. My mom and Ralph were dropping us off at the airport and then starting their drive home to California.

We had informed guest services about our early flight days ago. They make sure and let you know that you should do this. They gave us special luggage tags (Ariel) to show that we had to be in the first group off the ship. We were told to meet in the Walt Disney Theater at 7:45AM.

Goodbye room.....

DH ran up and grabbed us a quick breakfast from the buffet, and at 7:45 we had our stuff and ourselves seated in the theater.
They were very organized about it, and no one without Ariel tags was allowed to come in.

It felt like we sat there for a long time. At 8:15AM they announced that we were clear to leave the ship. They took our group off the same way we came on (down the ramps from deck 4). It took a very short time.

That was when DH realized he had accidentally packed one of the wave phones. We were trying to gather together all of our luggage and also find someone to give the wavephone to and make sure we weren't charged for it. They sent DH to lost and found while DS and I waited for a porter (there was a long line but it moved quickly) and mom and Ralph went ahead to get the car.

The process was not difficult, but it felt difficult at the time because we were trying to hurry and we had SO much luggage plus the stroller plus the wavephone thing and I felt very unorganized and stressed.

We finally got to the car- probably just before nine.
The drive to the airport is not far. We thought we had plenty of time, but really by the time we got through security and bag checks and everything we only had about 20 minutes before boarding started. We were starving too and wanted to grab some food but the lines were SO long for everything!!!! I was really missing the ship.

Bottom line: You can make an early flight but it is not easy. Be sure to not assume that you have tons of time. Move quickly and don't mess around

SO, another amazing cruise has come to an end! I wish everyone who is going soon a WONDERFUL and fun vacation!!

If you think of any other questions, just let me know!!

Thanks everyone for reading!!!

Old 07-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #143
whanna
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbbarnes View Post
On our cruise(June 18), they performed the last shows early before we got to Victoria. I think the show times were 2pm and 4pm.
Whanna
whanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #144
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

I loved the pub skit it was so funny. Thanks for sharing.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:28 AM   #145
mgmcpa
Disneyland Lover

Thanks

Thanks for all the details and photos ... we've booked the same Skagway tour you went on, so thrilled to see all that!
mgmcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #146
LittleGirlGrey
Mouseketeer

Loved your post! I wouldn't ever do an Alaskan Cruise...because I'm from Alaska! But its fun to see what they offer and do on them! Thanks for letting us be a part of it! And I loved your doors! They are so awesome! My mother and I are doing the October Hawaii cruise and I am going to go all OUT with our door! yay!

On another note, the movie you asked about on TV that you always saw the last 30 min of....I'm pretty sure it was one of the Twilight movies. At least that looks like Bella and Edward. :-D

Thanks for the wonderful stories!

One word love; curiosity. You long for freedom. You long to do what you want to do because you want it. To act on selfish impulse. You want to see what it's like. One day you won't be able to resist.
LittleGirlGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #147
scrapbookingpro
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGirlGrey View Post
Loved your post! I wouldn't ever do an Alaskan Cruise...because I'm from Alaska! But its fun to see what they offer and do on them! Thanks for letting us be a part of it! And I loved your doors! They are so awesome! My mother and I are doing the October Hawaii cruise and I am going to go all OUT with our door! yay!

On another note, the movie you asked about on TV that you always saw the last 30 min of....I'm pretty sure it was one of the Twilight movies. At least that looks like Bella and Edward. :-D

Thanks for the wonderful stories!
Thank you Hawaii would be my next choice for SURE!! I hope you have an awesome time

You are absolutely correct about the movie- It was Breaking Dawn and we literally watched the end of it every night. I'm surprised no one else figured that out!!

PS I LOVE your Snow White picture- Once is one of our absolute favorite shows

Old 07-16-2012, 01:00 AM   #148
mom2dzb
Mouseketeer

I'm glad to have stumbled upon your trip report! I'm cruising in 20 days and still have some decisions to make. Your report has been very helpful. I have a few questions . . .

The lumberjack show . . . Do you think it would be safe to purchase tickets at the door?

Did you notice any pin trading being offered?

We've booked the Victoria carriage ride through Disney, but I've researched booking on my own. Did you see many carriages available for hire? I'm feeling the same way you did. I don't want to give up my last evening on the ship OR seeing Victoria. I'd like to put off that decision with the hopes that if I cancel my current reservation, I could still walk off the ship and get a carriage if I choose to.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:41 AM   #149
whanna
Earning My Ears

There was limited pin trading, host and hostesses at the restaurants and store clerks etc... A trading Kiosk was open for one hour each night outside the stores, and there was a officers pin trading night I believe on Friday (but we did not get to go). Never saw any good pins except on other passengers, I do not think that the crew update their lanyards very often. It seemed that if there were any fun pins from the crew, they must have been traded the week before us.
Whanna
whanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #150
scrapbookingpro
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2dzb View Post
I'm glad to have stumbled upon your trip report! I'm cruising in 20 days and still have some decisions to make. Your report has been very helpful. I have a few questions . . .

The lumberjack show . . . Do you think it would be safe to purchase tickets at the door?

Did you notice any pin trading being offered?

We've booked the Victoria carriage ride through Disney, but I've researched booking on my own. Did you see many carriages available for hire? I'm feeling the same way you did. I don't want to give up my last evening on the ship OR seeing Victoria. I'd like to put off that decision with the hopes that if I cancel my current reservation, I could still walk off the ship and get a carriage if I choose to.
Hi!!

Well, in my opinion it would be very easy to purchase tickets for the lumberjack show at the door. I don't know if they get busier later in the summer, but when we went there were plenty of seats still available

I'm afraid I didn't notice any pin trading, only because no one in our group was participating. (Sorry!)

As for Victoria, the horse and carriage was my original plan as well! I tried to email one of the companies there before we left and they never got back to me, so I figured we would play it by ear.
On our walk to The Empress we passed at least 3 empty carriages. They were trying to get us to take a ride. I would have loved to if we had the time. My guess is that you will have no trouble finding a last-minute ride

Have an awesome trip!!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread