Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Tokyo Disneyland
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 04:09 AM   #181
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:26 AM   #182
BecBennett

OK Peeps! I'm asking for some help

I entered in the Cover-More travel photo competition, if you think my pic deserves it please vote for me!

http://woobox.com/6kx94i/vote/for/28975

Register to remove

Old 08-23-2012, 04:33 AM   #183
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:08 AM   #184
battymum
DIS Veteran

Its the least I could do!
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #185
battymum
DIS Veteran

I just showed DH your post about the urinal game - he says "Oh I am having a go at that"
Old 08-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #186
BelleBway
Spreading Sparkly Purple Pixie Dust

Voted!

I miss Japan so thank you for taking me back though your TR
WDW: 1976, 1985, 1986: Offsite | 1990: Disney Inn/ Big Red Boat | 1992: CBR | 1995: Dixie Landings | 1996: Poly | 1997: Offsite | Apr 1998: BW | July 1998: ASMu | Dec 1998: BC/ Disney Magic | June 1999: ASMu/ Contemporary Tower | Dec 1999: WL/ Contemporary Tower | 2000: CBR/ POFQ/ CSR | 2003: Contemporary Tower | 2009: AKL with the nieces| 2011: Disney Dream/ GF with the nieces | 2013: Poly with the nieces

DLP: 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000
TDR: 1993, 2002, 2005, 2012
HKDL: 2007, 2010, 2013
DL: a bunch of times I can't remember, 2000, 2010, 2011
BelleBway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #187
BecBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by battymum View Post
Its the least I could do!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleBway View Post
Voted!

I miss Japan so thank you for taking me back though your TR
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymum View Post
I just showed DH your post about the urinal game - he says "Oh I am having a go at that"
I tried to look up one on youtube, but couldn't really find it. It was only a brief look though, I might have to look a bit further
Old 08-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #188
BecBennett

Next we made our way to Akihabara because I wanted to see if we could pick up some cheap electronics.

We wandered in and around a few shops, but nothing really caught our eyes. We were a bit disappointed with Akihabara, I’m not sure what we were expecting, other then more I guess…

We ventured into a few shops that just seem to keep going up

– so many levels and each level with something different on it. I could have probably spent more time here and done some shopping, but DH wasn’t that interested.

More cute things filled with paste...

We then made our way back to CST. We decided to try the noodle place on the 2nd (or is it 3rd) floor of CST. Well we thought it was noodles, but when we saw the menu we realised it was Korean. We used to love a Korean place when we lived in Sydney, but Japanese Korean is nothing like Australian Korean. How this for a kicker too – DH managed to order the pork in lettuce leaves again! Don’t know how, he wasn’t that big a fan of it the first time around, but it gave us something to laugh about. I ordered some form of beef noodle soup, which was pretty yummy.

This was another one of those restaurants where the smokers sat amongst the non smokers, which wasn’t very nice, but we managed.

After the meal we were offered what was either a fortune or a discount voucher. We’re not sure, as it was in Japanese, it was folded up like a fortune though…

We grabbed some ice cream from the lobby store and then we headed up to our room for bed.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:12 AM   #189
battymum
DIS Veteran

Thank-you again! Still enjoying your updates!

What on earth were those instructions,? Its funny how things get translated !
Old 08-24-2012, 06:05 AM   #190
BecBennett

I know - I took a couple of photos of the "instructions" on how to eat meals
Old 08-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #191
PrincessInOz
in

Was there any where in Japan where there weren't smokers mixed in with the non-smokers?

Another great update.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 08-25-2012, 06:41 AM   #192
BecBennett

Yeah I think there were a couple of places, but not many spring to mind

McDonalds or KFC and those sort of places were generally smoking upstairs, and non smoking downstairs, so they were pretty good.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #193
BecBennett

Today was our last full day in Tokyo. We had missed out on doing a lot of things, but I wanted to buy some souvenirs to take home, and knew I’d have better luck finding a 100Y store here, compared to in Kyoto, so we decided we’d just spend the day around Shinjuku. We all know what it means when you miss things on holidays - it's just an excuse to go back!

We slept in again, and headed out around 11am. First stop was the JR shop at the station so we could purchase our Shinkansen tickets, as well as our Narita Express ticket back to the airport when we got back to Tokyo. These ended up costing us double what I thought they would, and I think that’s because while I was researching the trip I may have only looked up the price for one adult and not two… Anyway, the return tickets to Kyoto and the Narita Express tickets all up costed somewhere over $700 for the two of us.

After we had considerably lightened our wallets we started wandering the narrow streets of Shinjuku to find a suitable 100Y store to spend our money in.

There are cosmetic like shops all over the place, and originally I thought that they were the 100Y stores, but they didn’t really have what I wanted. Regardless, I bought a bunch of fake eyelashes for me, my mum and my sister. Fake eyelashes are all over the place. I also was tempted to buy some concealer, as I’d seen an ad for it during the week and thought how amazing it was. In Australia I’m smart enough to know that the ads are lying, but for some reason when I saw an amazing feat happening on a Japanese ad – it had to be true!!

Luckily DH reminded me that ads are ads regardless of what country you’re in, and I didn’t spend a heap of money on the concealer, knowing full well that I’d never use it.

If you are into cosmetics though you will love Tokyo!

Eventually we found the right sort of 100Y store. This was really handy, it may have just been a cheap crappy store, but there were plenty of souvenirs for me to buy people back home. I bought a whole heap of Disney hand fans, as well as a few that weren’t Disney, and I bought some cool looking chop sticks with holders, and some face washers – because they had Mickey Heads on them – no other reason .

I thought I took photos of inside the 100Y store, but it doesn't look like it
Old 08-26-2012, 09:31 PM   #194
BecBennett

After I was satisfied with my stash we found ourselves near a BIC Camera store, and made our way from the top floor down to the bottom. It was here that I decided that while Japan didn’t seem to be a huge leap forward in the way of technological advances, they definitely had way more variety then what you would hope to find in Australia, or even the US. I spent over half an hour just deciding which types of earbud head phones I wanted to buy, and could have bought a completely different type for each day of the week, or whatever pair suited my mood. I ended up purchasing some that were shaped like Mickey heads.

How pretty!

This dude just set himself up at one of the pianos and started playing. He was awesome.

There’s a fair bit of Disney merch all over Tokyo, so don’t worry if you think the prices are too steep in the park, because you’ll find more out and about.

Calculators

I think these were golf club covers

Hello Kitty Zombie

We also came across this Sony thingamy whatsit. Basically they’re like 3D glasses, but the TV screens are built into the headset, so it’s almost like virtual reality. These would be amazing for a plane ride. You’d just set it on what you want to watch and sit back and enjoy. It would block out the sounds and lights from a plane cabin like you were all by yourself. I want a pair, but they didn’t even look to have them for sale there. I think these were just a display.

We were also a bit surprised at the cost of alcohol. DH saw a 1L bottle of green lable Johnnie Walker for maybe $50, where as in Australia if you see it for around $70 you buy it as an investment!

We discussed heading back into Isetan to try something else for lunch, but couldn’t quite navigate through the station to get to the other side. We found several restaurants all together and decided on a nice looking tempura bar. We both chose different selections of tempura and rice. The meals also came with some miso soup (most of the meals over there do) which had something like clams or pippies in the bottom of it.

More instruction manuals

Old 08-27-2012, 02:02 AM   #195
PrincessInOz
in

I love those pretty skinned washing machines....and the Disney merch. Sounds like a great day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: