Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Tokyo Disneyland
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #151
liltinkerbell25
Earning My Ears

i love reading about tokyo disney even though i'm not planning a trip there! are there big differences in type and quality of merchandise as compared to the states?

more please
2008 WDW

Wishing upon a star to stay on property soon!
liltinkerbell25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #152
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

The merch at TDR is completely different to that in the states, it looks like it's the same quality, but seemed more expensive...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using DISBoards
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #153
battymum
DIS Veteran

No I am not waiting on an update but can you tell me if three days will be enough at the parks or should I allow four?
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #154
BecBennett

How are you planning on touring? Open to close? Do you know how busy it's going to be?

http://www15.plala.or.jp/gcap/disney/ (will need translating)

I think it was between the green and yellow while we were there.

When we were there 2 full days would have been plenty of time to see everything. We were never there before 10am, and left early most days, and we saw the majority of the 2 parks.

More time is always fun, but when you're somewhere like Japan and there's plenty to see and do all over the country then 2 days at Disney is probably plenty.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:18 AM   #155
BecBennett

Today was supposed to be our last day at Tokyo Disney, but DH was exhausted, and had seen enough of the parks. I could have happily gone again, but agreed to have a lazy day.

We slept in until lunch and then decided that we’d try and get our laundry done, as we were running short on clean clothes. DH went down to the lobby to get some directions and came back with some photo copied maps, with some directions written in red pen. I couldn’t understand them, so hopefully DH knew where to take us.

So we took all our clean clothes out of the suitcase, and piled the dirty ones in, and set out to find the “Wash & Fold”. Turns out DH didn’t really understand the directions… I think we basically circled the Laundromat in a spiral until we eventually realised we were standing next to it. It was fun to wander what looked like a residential area of Shinjuku for a while though.

We went in and loaded all of our clothes into a machine, and then looked for one of the detergent dispensers to buy some detergent. Couldn’t find one… We asked the girls behind the counter who spoke a little English about where we could find some, but they didn’t really understand me. I spotted some bottles on a shelf behind the counter and pointed to them to see if we could use theirs, thinking that maybe you’re supposed to bring in from home. She nodded and passed me the bottles, but they were just fabric softener…

I ended up typing “Detergent?” into my phone translator and passing that to them. Turns out the detergent is already in the machines! Which was nice and handy.

I then sent DH out to find some food, while I took a pic of the washing machines and posted it here.

He came back with some convenience store sushi and a round cake like thing. Sorry I don’t have a photo of the sushi, but here’s the cake like thing!

It was all pretty good, I had some inari (fried tofu pouches filled with rice) and DH had some pickled vegetable sushi rolls and a triangular shaped thing that was full of rice and cooked tuna, and covered in nori. I’m not sure what they’re called…

We used 2 washing machines to do the wash, but the dryers are massive, so we were able to combine both loads in the one dryer. So all up we only spent about an hour at the Wash and Fold. It also spent that hour to bucket down with rain, and then cleared up in time for us to leave with our nice clean and dry clothes!

We headed back to CST and dropped off our clothes. We decided that we wanted to try and find a supermarket. Not for anything specific, I just like supermarkets…

There was supposed to be one not too far from where we were, I can’t remember what it was called and in any event we didn’t find it (I left my phone in the room… again…) We did find Isetan which I had been told about. On one of the bottom floors is a place called E.A.T Paradise. This place was like a huge fresh food market, it’s sort of indescribable, so I took some photos, but they don’t really do it justice either. It’s just cases and cases of food as far as you can see!

Isetans with E.A.T Paradises are everywhere, so if you’re interested in food (or just shopping) head on in and have a look around.

We were hungry, but for a big meal, so we decided we’d find somewhere else to eat and come back here for lunch on another day. It’s not that you wouldn’t be able to fill up on this food, but we sort of wanted to order something and know that we were getting a full meal with it, not just pick a few things at random.

We walked around for a while and eventually decided to head back into Takashimaya to find a restaurant in there. We walked around the top 3 levels a couple of times before deciding on the Indian Place Sitaara Grove.

I had tandoori chicken with salad, and DH had some large prawns, I can’t remember what flavour they were, I’m thinking they were also tandoori, and we shared a curry, which I have no idea what type it was… Umm, I remember it being good… I can’t believe I didn’t write down more about this meal, because it was really good!

DH is showing the size of the prawns

It wasn't exactly the same as Indian food that you get in Australia, or rather it's the same, but with lots of extra coriander and lemon grass.

I picked up some ice cream from another one of the restaurants on our way out. DH didn't want any dessert, but some how managed to share mine...

For some reason Japanese ice cream tastes awesome.

We then headed back to CST for bed and TV.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:30 AM   #156
battymum
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the link!

Yeah our dates are green - but the possible 4th day would be yellow! We arrive on Thursday morning and I plan to do our city sightseeing Fri /Sat / Sun /Mon and then Disney Tue / Wed/ Thur

What is with the translations - "ïf not used to spicy" "congestion voilently people"!

I think we will play it by ear for the Friday. Although I really want to take my time - as when we were in Orlando, i just felt so rushed, and tired, and hot !

I plan on getting 7day rail passes and in order for them to be still active for us to get back to Narita from Kyoto for our flight home the following Thursday, I cant activate them before this day.

So maybe we will have an excursion out of Tokyo on this day. We will be heading to Kyoto on the Saturday.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:45 AM   #157
battymum
DIS Veteran

You must have been updating while I was typing - !

Thanks for that - it looks so amazing - your photos are great !
Old 08-09-2012, 01:51 AM   #158
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Yup. I second BattyMum. Photos look really good....food looks amazing! Thanks for sharing. I'm really liking this vicarious living through your TR.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:35 AM   #159
BecBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymum View Post
What is with the translations - "ïf not used to spicy" "congestion voilently people"!
I know! That's why I had so much trouble planning our holiday when I had a head cold. Trying to decifer the translations just made my head spin

I'm pretty sure yellow is still not that busy. Or if it is busy it doesn't feel it because of all the wide open spaces. Even during the busiest parts of the day you should still find plenty to do, with several rides having only short waits. Or even just grab a seat and people watch.

For day trips out of Tokyo, I'd suggest either Hakone or Nikko. I didn't get to either and I regret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymum View Post
You must have been updating while I was typing - !

Thanks for that - it looks so amazing - your photos are great !
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Yup. I second BattyMum. Photos look really good....food looks amazing! Thanks for sharing. I'm really liking this vicarious living through your TR.
Thanks. I've got a heap more photos from throughout the trip that I want to post. I'm just debating on whether I should add them at the end of the TR, or go back to the beginning and add them in where they belong
Old 08-09-2012, 04:42 AM   #160
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecBennett View Post
Thanks. I've got a heap more photos from throughout the trip that I want to post. I'm just debating on whether I should add them at the end of the TR, or go back to the beginning and add them in where they belong

If you decide to time warp back, just let us know so that we can also time trip backwards and check out the new pics.

It may be a minor inconvenience for us to head back; but anyone else coming on new to the thread will get the whole set in the logical order.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 08-09-2012, 04:48 AM   #161
DreamSweetsLove
Loves Mickey

Hey BecBennet! The cake thingy is called baumkuhen, it's a European (German?) type of cake cooked with a spit allowing you to cook it in even layers over a heat source. It's a popular snack and and sometimes given as a gift at weddings because of the ring shape.

Looking forward to more pictures of your trip! Maybe it's better to add at the end because it's easier to find the update even if it's from earlier in your stay.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:00 AM   #162
BecBennett

OK, I'll add the photos at the end.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:29 AM   #163
BecBennett

We were up early-ish this morning, and headed out of CST around 9:30am. We caught the train the Harajuku station because I wanted to check out the parks.

We first walked towards the Meiji Shrine. It still amazes us how there can be these massively wide open parks in Tokyo. Everything is so built up, but they still have these parks dotted all over the place.

We stopped and read about the sake and wine barrels and took some photos. Good thing I took photos, because I’ve already forgotten what they’re there for…

DH noticed the first bit of trash on the ground that we’d seen since arriving in Japan. It was a half finished bottle of green tea (or something) he picked it up and announced that he was going to put it in the bin. It was only after he started carrying it around that I pointed out he had just picked up some random bottle off the ground, that contained an unknown yellowish liquid…

He wasn’t happy when he realised what he’d done, and even less so when he remembered how difficult it was to find a bin in Japan… Luckily we found some restrooms soon enough, and he was able to throw away his unkown liquid and wash and sanitise his hands…

We headed into Meiji Shrine and had a good look around.

It had started proper raining by now so we tried our best to stay under cover. We caught site of a bride and groom getting some wedding photos done.

We also decided to buy one of the wooden ema cards and wrote our wish on it, and then added it to the display.

It was still raining, but we didn’t want to spend the whole day edging around the side of the Meiji Shrine, so we headed off again, hoping that the dense tree cover would shield us from most of the rain. The trees did a pretty good job, but when the skies really opened up we found ourselves trying to shelter under the foot wide cover of a park map, looking longingly at all the smart people who had already purchased umbrellas…

After about 10-15 minutes the rain had died down enough that we felt we could venture out again, and soon found ourselves in front of a small building which according to the maps was like a sporting club.

We took our shoes off at the door and went in to have a look around. There looked to be an award ceremony happening in one room, and in another we found a group of people practising (or competing) with Japanese Longbows.

This was amazing to watch. The skill that this takes, and the patience, and everything! It’s sort of hard to describe, check out Japanese longbow on youtube if you want to see more.

After watching for a little while we headed back out. Just after putting our shoes on to leave a man came up to us and informed us that unfortunately we couldn’t go in, it was a members club only… Too bad someone hadn’t told us that half an hour ago… I’m not sure how accurate that was, as plenty of people had seen us go in and be in there.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:43 AM   #164
DreamSweetsLove
Loves Mickey

Love the Meiji shrine area! You were lucky to get to see the long bow being used!
Old 08-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #165
PrincessInOz
in

Fantastic pictures Bec. Looks like a must-do on the list.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: