Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #376
Dancegrl624
DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience at MNSSHP. We were there that same night and the rain was a bummer. It absolutely poured in 2010 when we went, but the rain stopped around 7:30 and then it was perfect.

The treat stops were mobbed at the left side of the park, but Tomorrowland and Storybook Circus had NO lines. It was great. I was bummed about the Villain show bring cancelled, but the map said they would be at the Tomorrowland Terrace if it rained (we never got over there).

The party 2 years ago was definately less crowded than this year (we went on a Tuesday), but I still think it's the best money we've ever spent at WDW. From what I've heard, MNSSHP is miles better than MVMCP.

Completed Trip Reports
A Sept 2013 Solo Trip to the World It's A Cat World After All A Sept 2012 TRCelebrations Galore & Free Dining Too! A Sept 2012 PTR
Take Small Children By The Hand...a Sept Trip Report "I Want To Go Back!!!...a Sept 2010 PTR
Heat,Headaches but So Much Fun! My June Birthday TR Wishes Do Come True!...a Birthday PTR A Surprise Fit for a Princess...PTR and TR
1984-1st trip, 1987-offsite, 1991-offsite, 1992-Contemporary (won that trip!), 1997-ASMu, 2002-offsite (DH's 1st trip),
2006-offsite (DD's 1st trip), Jan 2009-offsite, June 2009- Birthday trip at Pop,Sept 2010-Pop Century,Aug 2012-Boardwalk Inn,Sept 2012-POFQ (DS's 1st trip),Sept 2013-CR (Earmarked Conference), March 2014-DCL AEP on the Magic
Old 10-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #377
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancegrl624 View Post
I'm so sorry you had a bad experience at MNSSHP. We were there that same night and the rain was a bummer. It absolutely poured in 2010 when we went, but the rain stopped around 7:30 and then it was perfect.

The treat stops were mobbed at the left side of the park, but Tomorrowland and Storybook Circus had NO lines. It was great. I was bummed about the Villain show bring cancelled, but the map said they would be at the Tomorrowland Terrace if it rained (we never got over there).

The party 2 years ago was definately less crowded than this year (we went on a Tuesday), but I still think it's the best money we've ever spent at WDW. From what I've heard, MNSSHP is miles better than MVMCP.
I have also heard MNSSHP is better than MVMCP. I'm thinking it may have been a combination of the ECV, the rain, and my general want-to-go-home attitude that contributed to our bad time, along with the other things I mentioned. I'd waited and waited to see the Headless Horseman ride, then because of weather he couldn't ... that was a bummer, too. I understand it wasn't safe, and I agree with the decision not to have him ride as safety should be #1 priority - it was just one more thing to stack on top of every other disappointing thing during this trip.

Who knows. We may try it again. If we buy into DVC, we know we'll be there every year (or at least every other), so perhaps someday we'll give it another shot.

Hope your kids had a blast and got lots of candy, though! Would love to have seen them in their costumes!

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #378
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Your photos of the resort properties are so beautiful - you have some talent!!

Sorry the MNSSHP wasn't a special experience. I understand how the rain can wash out not only the parade but the overall fun that goes with it. However, the people that were rude and inconsiderate - no excuses for that! (I had a lot more to say but I edited it because it sounded like I was getting out the pitchforks and torches! My mom has an ECV so I've seen this firsthand.)

We were at D-land last night when they were starting the MNSSHP and I saw one of the best costumes on a lady with an ECV - she was Ursula. Her tentacles were floating all around her ECV and it had some seaweed and seashells on the ECV - so very creative!! I agree with you, I like to costume watch.

Good luck deciding if DVC is for you. That would be exciting to look forward to returning year after year in a villa!!
Old 10-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #379
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post
Yes, you read that right ... we're considering buying in to DVC!
Wowsers!

If you guys like SSR, should be easy to get a resale, but I expect you've figured that out by now. I doubt hubby will ever consider DVC, since we can trade into it for less than owning would cost. *sigh* We're definitely staying onsite in the future, and maybe he'll fall in love with that and decide the flexibility of owning is worth the extra money. Very, very unlikely, since he's quite happy offsite, but I can dream.

Quote:
I was thinking there would be significantly less people in the park during MNSSHP, but it seemed pretty crowded to me.

I expect you were getting the people who'd always planned to go, as well as everyone who'd delayed from Tuesday. Although I've also heard that MNSSHP has gotten progressively more crowded over the years.

Quote:
By the time this line finally moves, we get to a section where I would have to get out of line and merge back in - there are stairs.

Sometimes I think it'd be totally fair if people in wheelchairs DID get a "front of the line" pass. It'd help balance out stupidities like that.

Quote:
I was getting frustrated with the number of people who were rude and inconsiderate (butting in line in front of me, bumping into my head with their arms, walking RIGHT in front of me)
From your earlier description of trying to look at the map in the dark, I expect you were dealing with the usual rudies who just don't care, combined with people who were having problems seeing you! I don't think I see as well in the dark as I used to, and from your description I'm definitely rethinking the whole MNSSHP thing. The park at night is cool, but the park at night with unusually distributed crowds and essentially a different navigation system that I can't study out in the light... not so sure about the coolness of that.

Not that I'll be seriously considering the parties for years, like as not...

Weren't you the one saying you hadn't got the hang of your new camera yet? I beg to differ! Some absolutely stunner pics there. I've seen a gazillion pics of POFQ, and been there myself, and your pics still offered something new. Plus I've been trying to track down a clear shot of "the Springs" sign for a good long while now. Must be a challenging shot, going on all the awful ones I've run across. And I don't think I'd ever seen pics of the elevator doors before -- if I did, the door wasn't clear enough to make out the pattern.

Also enjoying your "greenery scenery shots". I love all the "water features" at the resorts.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #380
BearcatsFan
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Your photos of the resort properties are so beautiful - you have some talent!!

Sorry the MNSSHP wasn't a special experience. I understand how the rain can wash out not only the parade but the overall fun that goes with it. However, the people that were rude and inconsiderate - no excuses for that! (I had a lot more to say but I edited it because it sounded like I was getting out the pitchforks and torches! My mom has an ECV so I've seen this firsthand.)

We were at D-land last night when they were starting the MNSSHP and I saw one of the best costumes on a lady with an ECV - she was Ursula. Her tentacles were floating all around her ECV and it had some seaweed and seashells on the ECV - so very creative!! I agree with you, I like to costume watch.

Good luck deciding if DVC is for you. That would be exciting to look forward to returning year after year in a villa!!
Loving the pitchfork/torch comment! Yeah, that's pretty much how I felt. It's bad enough being at hiney-level all the time, but the people who flat ignore you are the worst. I'm still experiencing it here at home when we grocery shop. I'll be glad when my time on crutches is over.

The Ursula costume sounds so cool! Wish I could have seen it!

DVC is definitely going to be a long-term decision. I'm hoping we can work out a way, but I refuse to finance it, so it probably will take us a while to save the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
Wowsers!

If you guys like SSR, should be easy to get a resale, but I expect you've figured that out by now. I doubt hubby will ever consider DVC, since we can trade into it for less than owning would cost. *sigh* We're definitely staying onsite in the future, and maybe he'll fall in love with that and decide the flexibility of owning is worth the extra money. Very, very unlikely, since he's quite happy offsite, but I can dream.

Resale is the way we will go - I won't buy direct from WDW.

I expect you were getting the people who'd always planned to go, as well as everyone who'd delayed from Tuesday. Although I've also heard that MNSSHP has gotten progressively more crowded over the years.

I was thinking the same thing ... and I've also hard it's getting more and more crowded. But oh well - at least we got to experience it once, right?

Sometimes I think it'd be totally fair if people in wheelchairs DID get a "front of the line" pass. It'd help balance out stupidities like that.

I think it would have helped having a CM direct the people waiting in the lines, particularly the one we got in. How would I ever have left the line and merged back in without a CM's help? There'd have been no way - the masses would have crushed me before they let me in!

From your earlier description of trying to look at the map in the dark, I expect you were dealing with the usual rudies who just don't care, combined with people who were having problems seeing you! I don't think I see as well in the dark as I used to, and from your description I'm definitely rethinking the whole MNSSHP thing. The park at night is cool, but the park at night with unusually distributed crowds and essentially a different navigation system that I can't study out in the light... not so sure about the coolness of that.

Not that I'll be seriously considering the parties for years, like as not...

Oh I recommend you try it at least once to see what it's like for yourself. As long as you're mobile, you really should have no issues.

Weren't you the one saying you hadn't got the hang of your new camera yet? I beg to differ! Some absolutely stunner pics there. I've seen a gazillion pics of POFQ, and been there myself, and your pics still offered something new. Plus I've been trying to track down a clear shot of "the Springs" sign for a good long while now. Must be a challenging shot, going on all the awful ones I've run across. And I don't think I'd ever seen pics of the elevator doors before -- if I did, the door wasn't clear enough to make out the pattern.

Also enjoying your "greenery scenery shots". I love all the "water features" at the resorts.

Thank you! I enjoy photography a lot. If you could see all the "dud" photos I weeded out before I posted the nice, clear ones you just may have a different opinion! Our camera wasn't expensive and it isn't a DSLR, but it's definitely better than the one we took last year.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #381
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=BearcatsFan;46374987
DVC is definitely going to be a long-term decision. I'm hoping we can work out a way, but I refuse to finance it, so it probably will take us a while to save the money.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my thoughts!!! I will not finance a vacation even if it is an "investment" for years to come. Just my personal position. Plus, I think I would need to buy like 300 points to vacation as we currently do and the annual fees on that would be more than I want to pay. My DD encourages us to do this since we could take the grandkids when the time comes but our other 3 grown sons don't care for WDW so I don't want to buy into something as a grandparent that the entire family would not use.

I hope your foot continues to heal - if nothing else so that you can get a better view from your ECV!
Old 10-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #382
BearcatsFan
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Exactly my thoughts!!! I will not finance a vacation even if it is an "investment" for years to come. Just my personal position. Plus, I think I would need to buy like 300 points to vacation as we currently do and the annual fees on that would be more than I want to pay. My DD encourages us to do this since we could take the grandkids when the time comes but our other 3 grown sons don't care for WDW so I don't want to buy into something as a grandparent that the entire family would not use.

I hope your foot continues to heal - if nothing else so that you can get a better view from your ECV!

I'm with you. If I have to finance a vacation, I simply won't go. If I can't pay cash, I don't buy. That's my philosophy for pretty much everything - not just vacations!

You're right - the annual fees alone on 300 points would be pretty steep, even if you went into the resort with the lowest one. We're looking at 125-150 points, but we may begin with 100 just to see and add on at a later time. That's the current thinking, anyway ... as you know from my PTR, things tend to change around here frequently!

Thanks for continuing to send good thoughts and wishes for my healing - I do appreciate it!

Old 10-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #383
BearcatsFan
Soak up the Sun

Checking Out, Brunch with Family, Going Home

After we returned from MNSSHP, we realized we still had stuff all over the villa that needed to be packed - from the kitchen to the bedroom, stuff was scattered everywhere! We were up until nearly 2 a.m. getting everything squeezed back into our bags and finally went to bed completely exhausted.

We were up early as usual on check-out day. I knew the ECV had to be back to Bell Services by 10 a.m. and we were meeting family for brunch around 10:30. We went to the front desk and said buh-bye to the most awesome place we've ever stayed.

Brunch with family went well. It was so hard to say goodbye. We know if we buy DVC we'll be back nearly every year, though, so that was in the backs of both our minds as we were giving hugs and kisses to the kids.

We arrived at MCO uber-early. They had a young man waiting for us with a wheelchair assist, so that was great. It turns out he was from South Africa and had come to the United States to go to college. He was so nice and very soft spoken. I asked what he was studying - he said he wanted to be a pilot someday, but that the schooling was very expensive, and it would likely take years and years for him to pay his own way. We chatted extensively about South Africa and what he thought of the United States. He was so interesting to talk with, I almost hated it when we arrived at the terminal!

Security was much easier this time around - I just told them I wanted the pat-down. That way there was no confusion, no hold-up.

One of the ladies at the gate approached me about 15 minutes prior to boarding time and asked for our boarding passes. She asked if I could walk at all without the crutches, and I told her no. She said, "I'll be right back," and walked away with our passes.

A few minutes later, she came back and handed us new boarding passes. "Here you go!" she said. "You were all the way back in row 24 - this way you won't have as far to walk."

Turned out she had bumped us all the way up to the row immediately behind first class! Pixie dust followed me all the way to the airport!

Our flight was great, and we arrived home just in time for a beautiful sunset. It was quite a shocker, though ... We left Orlando and it was in the 90's, and when we got home, it was in the low 50's! Luckily we had the blankets we got on the flight so we could cover up and stay warm while we waited for our ride.

I have to admit, I've never felt so happy to be home and to have a vacation be over!

Old 10-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #384
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

Oh Goodness, Im falling behind here!

Your pictures are just gorgeous. I guess you were eyelevel with all those beautiful flowers, that the rest of us mostly just walk by! Absolutely beautiful shots.

I will be so jealous if you get DVC!! I could never sell DH on that, let alone have him encourage it. That's a nice selling point too, getting to see the family when you're there using your DVC

That really sucks about your MNSSHP. Bad enough to be in the chair, but in the chair in a crowd, in the rain. I do really enjoy this party and I'm sorry you didn't. I hope you get to try it again when you are better able, and the weather is better.

I have done both the halloween party and the xmas party, and I will never waste money on the xmas party again. There's just not enough there to make it worthwhile. But, I'd probably go to MNSSHP each trip if I get the chance.

That's so cool that they moved you on the plane without you asking Gotta love when someone makes your life easier just for the heck of it

I'm sorry this vacation wasn't awesome for you, though you did have some awesome moments thanks to your DH. I can certainly relate to that feeling of just wanting to be home and putting an end to the vacation. It's just upsetting when you've looked forward to the trip for so long, then it's over and it wasn't all that satisfying.

I Can't BELIEEEEVE I Did This!!!! An Oct 2014 Pre-trip report

All the makings of a Disaster, Sept 2012

Split stay: Yacht Club/Pop Oct 1-Oct 8 DH/me
Art of Animation - April 2013 BFF trip
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 23-30, 2012 (Group trip)
Port Orleans Resort - Dec 10-15, 2010 (BFF trip)
POP Century - Sept 12-18, 2009 (Me and DS11)
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 2-12, 2008 (Group trip)
Old 10-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #385
BearcatsFan
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkernj View Post
Oh Goodness, Im falling behind here!

Your pictures are just gorgeous. I guess you were eyelevel with all those beautiful flowers, that the rest of us mostly just walk by! Absolutely beautiful shots.

Thank you! I really enjoy photography, especially landscape photography. The b&w fountain photo is my favorite, with the blue flowers at POFQ. I was at eye-level for lots of things, but the flowers were definitely the most pleasant eye-level visual.

I will be so jealous if you get DVC!! I could never sell DH on that, let alone have him encourage it. That's a nice selling point too, getting to see the family when you're there using your DVC

Don't be too jealous yet! It may be a very long time before we decide if/when we're going to do this at all. Oddly enough, I already have family members wanting to rent my points for the year and we haven't even purchased yet.

That really sucks about your MNSSHP. Bad enough to be in the chair, but in the chair in a crowd, in the rain. I do really enjoy this party and I'm sorry you didn't. I hope you get to try it again when you are better able, and the weather is better.

I have done both the halloween party and the xmas party, and I will never waste money on the xmas party again. There's just not enough there to make it worthwhile. But, I'd probably go to MNSSHP each trip if I get the chance.

Maybe someday we will try MNSSHP again, but it will take a lot of convincing for my husband. He grumbled the whole bus ride back and for days afterwards what a waste of money it was, so I probably won't broach the subject for a good long while.

That's so cool that they moved you on the plane without you asking Gotta love when someone makes your life easier just for the heck of it

Yes, this was so wonderful and such a surprise! I thanked her over and over again once I realized what she had done.

I'm sorry this vacation wasn't awesome for you, though you did have some awesome moments thanks to your DH. I can certainly relate to that feeling of just wanting to be home and putting an end to the vacation. It's just upsetting when you've looked forward to the trip for so long, then it's over and it wasn't all that satisfying.

Thank you, and yes, my husband certainly saved this vacation for me without a doubt. It truly is the first time I've ever said I wanted to come home while we were on vacation, and the first time I actually sighed with relief when the plane landed and we were home at last. I never expected the trip to be perfect - no trip is ever perfect, and going in with that expectation you're sure to be let down. I never would have expected to have so many issues, though.

I am looking forward to a re-do in a couple of years.
My responses in bold.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #386
BearcatsFan
Soak up the Sun

In the End, Was the "Free" Dining Plan Worth It?

Once again, yes. As long as we are staying in a value or moderate, the "free" dining plan promo will always trump any kind of "room-only" discount we could get.

-------------------------------------------------------

POFQ, King Room, 5 Nights (including 1 weekend night), DDP

If we had paid for DDP, it would have cost us: $515.40 (2 adults x 5 nights)

If we had used a "room-only" discount at FQ:
10% = $108 discount, making the room $972
20% = $216 discount, making the room $864

We paid "rack rate" for our room to use the "free" dining promo: $1080

With the highest "room-only" discount (20%), and purchasing the DDP, it would have cost us: $1379.40

By using the "free" dining promo, we saved: $299.40

----------------------------------------------------------

DDP Credits:

10 TS / 10 QS / 10 SN

We Had Remaining Upon Check-Out:

0 TS / 1 QS / 5 SN

We ate a total of $540.69 worth of food using the DDP. If you consider the 1 QS we had left (value around $15), and the 5 snacks we had left (value around $20), we could conceivably have eaten $575 worth of food if we utilized all our credits at or near maximum value. Since the dining plan would have cost us $515.40, and we ate $540.69 worth of food even with the remaining credits, it would have been worth purchasing for us if we'd had to purchase it as opposed to paying OOP.

-----------------------------------------------------

OOP:

We also spent $36.52 out of pocket on food. $26.59 of this was at Kona Cafe, which we had planned as an extra TS for which we would be paying OOP. This total also includes two items that would have qualified for snack credits, but at this point we were "saving" them for use in the parks.

------------------------------------------------------

Final Thoughts on Dining Plan:

Some people seem to think "free" dining is just that - free. That whatever the cost of the dining plan you're getting (in our case, DDP) is what you will actually save with this promotion (in our case, $515.40). You have to factor in many things, however, to see what you actually save. The way your family eats is a big factor, as is what you could save on a "room-only" discount. Only once you add everything up and compare discounts can you start subtracting and come to your final savings number.

Of course, if we buy into DVC, "free" dining will no longer be available to us, but we'll be eating differently with having a full kitchen, etc. so the dining plan likely won't be necessary for us anyway.

Last edited by BearcatsFan; 10-08-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #387
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If you could see all the "dud" photos I weeded out before I posted the nice, clear ones you just may have a different opinion!
Oh, I don't think so -- a friend of my brothers was a pro photographer, and he told me once how many pictures he took for "one good one" and, while I don't remember the exact number, it was outrageously high!

Quote:
My DD encourages us to do this since we could take the grandkids when the time comes but our other 3 grown sons don't care for WDW so I don't want to buy into something as a grandparent that the entire family would not use.
You might consider buying into another Timeshare system and then trading into DVC via RCI or II, which is a much cheaper approach than buying DVC even resale. I can stay in the DVC resorts for about what it costs most DVC owners in their yearly fees -- but I didn't pay that chunk of cash upfront! The downside of this approach is that you have much less flexibility; at least when I last checked, even RCI points owners had access only to full weeks with DVC, it's much harder to get DVC in peak times, etc. etc.

OTOH, outside of DVC, owning a TS somewhere else can give you much more flexibility, because the other points systems have resorts all over the country instead of mostly in the Disney resorts! Most other TSs you get full access to RCI, which DVC doesn't offer, and so on. If you "must" stay onsite and you want to stay in a condo, and especially if you would mostly be going during peak times, DVC offers the best opportunities; but if you're okay staying offsite or paying to stay in one of the other Disney options, owning another TS means you can sometimes stay onsite in a condo at much lower prices.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #388
reyasmommy
DIS Veteran

Your pictures are BEAUTIFUL.... I don't remember, did you buy a new camera before you left? What kind of camera do you use?

Sooooooooooo ...... DH went to work out the other day and messed up his ankle big time.... He refuses to go to the doctor because(he's a man) and all they'll do is tell him it's probably sprained or he has some pulled ligaments and put him in a boot. So instead he decided he's just going to walk around in the boot I had when I when I messed up my ankle last year falling down the stairs.. So now he hobbling around and is in major pain. I'm stressing that he won't be healed by the time we go on our trip. All I keep thinking about is you and your trip.

Hopefully the next 30 days are enough time for him to heal.

Anyway Darling.... I enjoyed your PTR and TR... I'm going to miss seeing your posts.. I hope you stick around even though your not planning a trip anytime soon.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:17 AM   #389
BearcatsFan
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyasmommy View Post
Your pictures are BEAUTIFUL.... I don't remember, did you buy a new camera before you left? What kind of camera do you use?

Sooooooooooo ...... DH went to work out the other day and messed up his ankle big time.... He refuses to go to the doctor because(he's a man) and all they'll do is tell him it's probably sprained or he has some pulled ligaments and put him in a boot. So instead he decided he's just going to walk around in the boot I had when I when I messed up my ankle last year falling down the stairs.. So now he hobbling around and is in major pain. I'm stressing that he won't be healed by the time we go on our trip. All I keep thinking about is you and your trip.

Hopefully the next 30 days are enough time for him to heal.

Anyway Darling.... I enjoyed your PTR and TR... I'm going to miss seeing your posts.. I hope you stick around even though your not planning a trip anytime soon.
Thank you, and yes, we did buy a new camera before this trip. It is a Nikon Coolpix L120. It is kind of a hybrid camera - not as simple as a point and shoot, but not as complicated (or pricey) as a DSLR. I really like it, but there definitely is a learning curve with this one compared to my old P&S.

Oh no! So sorry to hear about your husband! What worked for me was to stay off of it - I'm still using the crutches 4 weeks later. I hope he feels better soon and if not, make him go to the doctor! He could have a hairline fracture in there and be doing more harm than good by walking on it.

I have a few more entries to go with my final assessments on both resorts and final thoughts on the trip (such as it was). We will keep in touch, though ... I'm not going anywhere!

Old 10-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #390
BearcatsFan
Soak up the Sun

Final Reviews of POFQ and SSR

Port Orleans French Quarter:

POFQ is a very nice, moderate resort. The layout of the buildings is nice - it makes you feel as though you're in a city square as opposed to walking around the perimeter of a hotel. The streets, sidewalks, and street signs help add to this overall effect.

The accommodations are nicer than at the value level, including the bedding. I found the towels to be on the thin side, but nothing we couldn't live with for the week. Thank goodness there is a separate vanity here because the bathroom size itself is basically an afterthought. I don't think I've seen a smaller bathroom area anywhere we've ever stayed.

As for noise level, we found Building 1 to be very quiet. We never heard anyone else while we were there. Being on the top floor probably helped, but we never even saw anyone else coming out of or going into the elevators in our building, and I'm quite sure we weren't staying there all by ourselves. The only thing that was annoying was the sound of the boat horns on the Sassagoula River allllll day and allllll evening long. It was quite loud, as were some of the boats themselves.

We found bus service to be more than adequate. We never waited more than 5 or so minutes for a bus, and there was always a CM at the bus stop checking to make sure another bus was called if there were people waiting. The bus drivers were friendly and helpful with parking the ECV.

Boat service was another story. The boats were almost full by the time they arrived at FQ, and we had to wait quite a while for another boat. Navigating the ECV onto the boat was much, much more challenging than getting it on/off the bus and the "captains" weren't as helpful (or patient) as the bus drivers were with getting it situated.

As far as cleanliness goes, I'd say the entire resort overall was very clean. They were even power washing the sidewalks while we were there ... how much cleaner can you get? Our room was very clean - no dust, no mold, didn't look as though anyone else had ever stayed there.

The staff here, IMHO, needs work on their level of professionalism. Some of the staff was really great (Chef Rafael, some of the concierge ladies) - others, not so much.

The food court leaves a lot to be desired. There aren't many choices that sounded good to us here. While there are things other than the standard burger found in most food courts, the serving sizes were small and the food itself just wasn't tasty. Some of the food court employees have less than stellar attitudes - Chef Rafael, on the other hand, was super nice.

Overall Feel: A
Accommodations: B-
Noise Level: B
Bus Service: A+
Boat Service: D
Cleanliness: A
Professionalism of Staff: D
Food Court: D
Value for the Dollar: C+

Would I stay at this resort again? Probably not, solely because of the experiences I had with some members of the staff.

Would I recommend this resort to a friend or family member? Yes.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa:

Saratoga Springs is a wonderful resort; however, if you're not in one of the close buildings, it can be quite a trek (or drive) to the main building for activities or eats. This resort is laid out on a large scale, with multiple accommodations buildings, bus stops, and pools.

The accommodations were way above average, including the linens, pillows, and towels. The only complaint I have is that the couch was rather hard and uncomfortable, but I find most fold-outs aren't that great as a whole. Having a full balcony was wonderful, though the view was mostly of a large tree.

We were located in the Springs area and heard no noise from other occupants. The only noise we heard was from the bus traffic on the street when we sat outside on our balcony. It was a very quiet place to stay.

Bus service here was average at best. While we were here there was some construction going on at the main entrance, and from what I gather that had some effect on the bus stop order and wait times. We waited longer here for a bus than we waited at POP last year, and that's saying something. There was no CM present to monitor number of persons waiting for buses, and there was quite a wait between MK buses while many buses for DTD and the other parks came and went. The buses weren't full, though, once we finally did get on, and the bus drivers more than helpful with helping to park the ECV.

Boat service was available, but we did not use it.

The cleanliness level here was very high. The kitchen counters were gleaming when we came in, the fridge was sparkling clean, as was the microwave. The rest of the villa was just as clean. I know others have had issues with DVC resorts occasionally not being cleaned well, but this was not the case in our unit.

The staff here is extremely professional, from the door greeter to the people who work in the eatery. Everyone was friendly and helpful, even the gate guard who gave us directions and said, "I'll be here to welcome you home later!"

The food court is a strange set-up being combined with the gift shop and mini-market. I do not like the layout of it, but I did enjoy the food. The food quality itself was above average, in taste and portion. The choices were varied and not your usual food court fare. It is confusing the first time you come in, but the kitchen staff is more than helpful, as is the chef if you have dietary concerns.

Accommodations: A+
Noise Level: A
Bus Service: C+
Boat Service: did not use
Cleanliness: A+
Professionalism of Staff: A+
Food Court: B
Value for the Dollar: A- (Hard to say as we didn't pay to stay here, so to speak ... but considering the cost to stay here per night, I feel if we would have paid for this resort, we would have gotten what we paid for.)

Would I stay at this resort again? Yes.

Would I recommend this resort to a friend or family member? Yes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: