Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
ScarJsMom
"We're out to discover!"

Dolphin Cove in Grand Cayman

Hello all, first post....
I've been lurker since I booked my cruise. I know that you can select port activites 3 months before your cruise & from what I gather the dolphin cove fills up fast. So my question is what is they best way I can get my desired end result: to have my 3 year old meet a dolphin.. if I can't get it thru DCL is it risky to go & seek it out myself? This is the #1 thing we want to do while we stop in Grand Cayman for my little girl. Any tips & advice would be great. Never cruised before..we are going on Jan 12 for 6 nights on the Magic.

ScarJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
disneybeachprincess
Disney Girl from Day One

Welcome to the disboards!!!

Be sure & check the age restrictions with the excursions. Our first Disney cruise was with our DS now 12. He was only 3 & too young for some of them. You may get lucky & be able to book at your booking window. If not, check onboard. People do cancel. Remember a water proof camera & an extra memory card! Happy cruising!!!

You are going to fall in love with DCL!

disneybeachprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
ScarJsMom
"We're out to discover!"

Thank you! I checked and she would be able to have a "dolphin encounter" with me or my husband. Hopefully considering it's January maybe there won't be as many people? Not quite sure.. Thanks for the tip!

Old 06-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
disneybeachprincess
Disney Girl from Day One

I am so glad she can meet a dolphin!

She is going to love it! Yes in January you may get lucky & be able to book it. Definitely check onboard if it is full when your booking window opens or check with the dolphin excursion & book it independently on your own. I believe you can do that. Be sure & bring coverups and a change of clothes. The water may be warm but the air temps can be cool in January.

disneybeachprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
mom of a lil pirate
Mouseketeer

Dolphin cove is not through Disney, Dolphin Discovery is. I was on a May cruise and ended up doing a dolphin Encounter at Dolphin Cove and had a great experience, plus it was a lot cheaper (kids were free with adult) and if the ship does not dock for any reason you do not get charged. They had a shuttle pick us up from the port and take us there (it was about a 20 minute ride) then we had our encounter which lasted about an hour with the prep talk and viewing pictures etc. Then the shuttle took us pack to the pier. The whole thing was about two hours from pick up to drop off, which allows you time to shop and what not if you wanted to.

ETA: I was on the fantasy and they had Dolphin Discovery for the Dolphin, it could be possible the magic will be Dolphin cove.
mom of a lil pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
ScarJsMom
"We're out to discover!"

Pirate Mom - thank you for the information..I guess I will just have to wait til I can choose, nice to know I have some choices.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
mom of a lil pirate
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarJsMom View Post
Pirate Mom - thank you for the information..I guess I will just have to wait til I can choose, nice to know I have some choices.
Your welcome. When it comes time if you have any questions about Discovery cove I will be happy to answer them. I did a lot of research before booking an excursion on my own as it was just me and my little guy Good luck with it! I know for our cruise there was several Dolphin swims still available until sail date and even a few left on the ship.
mom of a lil pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
nburrowes
Earning My Ears

for your little girl...

i live in grand cayman - check trip advisor for dolphin cove, then check out their tab for cruise guests...they have great deal for disney guests
nburrowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
Pwac
Mouseketeer

Based on this thread I moved my excursion to Dolphin Cove. They were able to take my whole group of 13 and let my BIL and SIL switch out on the dock with my 3-year-old nephew. He didn't want to get in the water but they brought the dolphins in so he could touch them. I greatly appreciated their flexibility and kindness in helping me make this happen for my mom. I would definitely recommend them if you are looking for an alternative.
Pwac is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: