Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #46
goofyernmost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Mickeyfan View Post
no, you didn't say they don't cry, but stating over the top implies that. While you don't classify being told to change your clothing as a major thing, she may. We don't know her.. do we? Do we know if she was Autisic? Do we know if she was Bipolar? Do we know anything about her other than she was a 15 year old female who cried because she was told to change her clothing? No, we don't.. I am not going to condem a 15 year old for crying over that, nor will I say that is "over the top". It sure would not be if she had some medical issues that were weren't aware of... and I am not about to go down that road.. kids at 15 are still kids and some still cry period... and for her, that was a major issue.. she was let down. For you it isn't, for me it isn't.. but we cannot say it isn't for her, now can we? I cannot state something about you when I don't know you..can I? That is the reason I didn't want this to turn into a debate about the girl.. I was merely trying to bring up the fact Disney was not consistent in their policy..and why? Adult is legally 18 and up, not 15 anyway...
Being Autistic or Bipolar is not a ticket to not follow the rules and that is the point here. Her reaction my or may not be over the top, don't know based on her personality, but I do know that deciding that it is alright to not do what is expected because of those conditions is not acceptable.

At one point in my life I owned a care home that took care of folks with issues stemming from things similar or exactly like that. We used to say that it was the REASON for behavior but not an EXCUSE for it. If one is going to be allowed in public situations then they have to know the rules and not try to pass over them. If they do...then they must be corrected, not allowed to just do whatever.

Nothing adult has ever happened to me at Disney!
Old 06-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #47
andyman8
DIS Veteran

It may just be me, but does that "outfit" look a bit "seductive" (don't know if that's the word) or, at least, inappropriate to wear in a park where there are little ones. Regardless, she should have been denied admission at all park, but there are flukes in the system. I don't believe she should have been compensated for it, either.

By the way, I wouldn't call her a brat or something, for we don't know her, but I really don't think this was an issue that warranted any crying or compensation. The CMs at DAK handled this pretty good, though.
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #48
A Mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyernmost View Post
Being Autistic or Bipolar is not a ticket to not follow the rules and that is the point here. Her reaction my or may not be over the top, don't know based on her personality, but I do know that deciding that it is alright to not do what is expected because of those conditions is not acceptable.

At one point in my life I owned a care home that took care of folks with issues stemming from things similar or exactly like that. We used to say that it was the REASON for behavior but not an EXCUSE for it. If one is going to be allowed in public situations then they have to know the rules and not try to pass over them. If they do...then they must be corrected, not allowed to just do whatever.
before you go all bananas on following rules and the Autistic and Bipolar.. I stated that due to her crying.... not about following rules.. read my post for what it was meant to be She was hurt by them not allowing her to go into AK, confused on why she was allowed in DHS.... she cried because she was hurt, to her it was something major. I made my statement in regards to this behavior...if you really read it, you would have picked up on that since the entire post you cited was based on crying... It was about her reaction.. not about what she did to get that reaction. Two different animals there.... so take a deep breath and relax...

No one is making excuses about rules, but if you were not on this board to know that Disney didn't allow it, would you honestly know they didn't allow adults in costume? I know I would not. It is not stated on any ticket they produce. It is not on any printed material they hand out.. it is on their website.. I don't think this child or the family for that matter knew they broke any rules.. and if you really read my entire post.. I didn't want this to be about her period.. due to posts like this! It was to be about the reasoning why she was allowed in one park and not the other... so go back and read the title of my thread and my original post... then follow all that was said, don't just pick and choose certain words you want to respond to... thank you...

Last edited by A Mickeyfan; 06-05-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #49
Lintasare
Holy
Hello. My name is Inigo Peeptoya...you ate my father...prepare to die
Ok fess up...who killed the riddle?

Since when does someone crying because they have to follow the rules equal autism or bipolar disorder? Why do people always jump to that conclusion? When I see a person or child misbehaving I don't jump to "Oh they must be autistic" no I think "Wow that kid is really misbehaving."

Old 06-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #50
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

Where I work, there is a rule against taking pictures in the store. You would only know it if someone told you it exists, or if you read our privacy policy.

Employees sometimes make exceptions, but in general, the rule is enforced.

I've told plenty of people about the rule, some react well and some don't. If a 15 year old spent time putting on makeup and a costume and wanted to take a picture in my store, I would say no. Someone else might say "Ok just this one time..."

Being ignorant of a rule does not exempt you from following it. Disney being Disney...I'm surprised she got in in the first place.

If it would have been me working at the gates, I would have said "hell no". It's blatently a costume (costume isn't just clothes, it's styling) and there is no way she passes as a "child". I don't know what they are trying to accomplish going to the media. It's totally within Disney's right to refuse a guest entry based on their dress code, they were compensated for their "troubles" and they didn't need to be. I get that Disney comps stuff on a fairly regular basis but to me, they've basically rewarded this kid for breaking a rule.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
Old 06-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #51
lizzytizzy
Mouseketeer

Found the video.

Looks likes a spoiled brat to me:

http://www.wtsp.com/news/article/257...Animal-Kingdom
Old 06-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #52
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

Yeah I'd have to agree hearing it in her tone and own words. Brat. She's 15, time to learn you don't always get what you want. "I just wanted to be Tinkerbell" isn't a valid argument.

I can see her arguing more that she was allowed in one park but not another, that's a valid argument.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
Old 06-06-2012, 12:48 AM   #53
Catrinabeach
DIS Veteran

When my neice was 10 she was told she couldn't wear a costume. We didn't know about that rule until the last day of our trip. We had bought the costume in the park and she wore it every day we were there and on the last day we were asked at the entrance how old she was and we told them she was 10 (she had turned 10 during our trip) and we were told she had to remove the costume. She did not look like an adult but that was the rule. They did end up asking their supervisor who said it would be ok since it was very obvious she wasn't an adult and the rule is to prevent confusion for little kids seeing adults dressed up like characters that aren't part of the Disney cast.

Now that we know that rule we wouldn't allow any of the kids we take that are over 10 get a costume to wear at the park.

No 15 yr old should be dressing up and then getting upset when they are told they can not go into the park in the costume. Unless it's a Disney halloween party.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:21 AM   #54
EvoldicA
Mouseketeer

Why not read this if you want to know why she wasn't allowed to enter. Just like MNSSHP they allow guests to enter DHS with costumes during Star Wars weekends with the stipulation they will be removed if they are in anyway caught trying to portray themselves as Disney employees. I'll have to look for the brochure I was handed when I entered last weekend since it was actually detailed on that. If I find it I'll try to get a picture on here. This is a non story.. if anything I think it goes to how how good Disney behaved. They had no obligation to give her clothing to mask what they have posted publicly as inappropriate attire.

~B

MK for MNSSHP 10/7/11, MK for MNSSHP 10/16/11, EPCOT for Sugar Ray 10/19/11, MK on 11/10/11, MK for MVMCP 12/13/11, MK for fireworks 12/31/11.
Leaping around MK for 24h of madness 2/29/12 !
[First Disney Hotel!] POP on 3/10/12, All Star Music from 4/30-5/2/12
Old 06-06-2012, 03:37 AM   #55
Maryrn11168
DIS Veteran

Why exactly is this a story covered by any newspaper, TV station, even a school newsapaper?? Just asking.....

Honeymoon-Swan 1997,AKL 5/02, Off site 11/02, Hilton Head 8/03, OKW 11/03, Hilton Head 8/04, BCV 5/05, Boardwalk 5/06, Vero Beach 8/07, VWL 5/2008, Magic Western 10/08, BWV 11/08, HHI 8/09, Magic Eastern 3/10, SSR 10/10, Vero Beach 8/11, Dream 5-night 8/11, BLT 8/11, Disney 1/2 Marathon 1/12, 5/12 SSR, 6/12 Magic Weekend Getaway, 7/12 BCV, 9/13 DVC Member Cruise, 10/13 BCV, 2nd 1/2 Marathon BCV 1/14
Old 06-06-2012, 05:34 AM   #56
TiggerTeacher
Earning My Ears

The reaction is over the top. I was 15 not so long ago, and I would not have behaved like that had I been told to change. Also, even if she was special needs...that still wouldn't excuse it. I have family member who are special needs and reactions like that are frowned upon. Whether you know if her personality is high strung, or she's special needs doesn't matter...that still isn't the way to react to someone telling you you can't wear a costume into Disney....at least not in my opinion....
2006-Third Trip to Disney w/Sister(Off-site)
2010-Honeymoon to Disney(Coronado Springs Resort)
Dec. 2012-Trip with Mom and sister(Going be staying at Port Orleans Riverside)
Old 06-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #57
Marnm02
Mouseketeer

When I worked turnstyles at MK the rule was no realistic costumes for anyone with an adult ticket (10+). They find very young looking 18-20 year old CMs to play childlike characters such as Tinker Bell and Wendy...a mature looking 10 year old could easily pass for the real character. The exception was MNSSHP, when anyone could dress up however they wanted.

That said, I'm not surprised that the CMs at DHS either overlooked her or didn't make it an issue. There are lots of part time and CP CMs who really don't care. Also, I learned pretty quickly that you could enforce the rules in regard to many things, and quickly be overruled by a manager who just wants to make his day easier. That can drain your motivation to follow the rules pretty quickly.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #58
kamik86
DIS Veteran

The other option at DHS is she just may have been missed at the turnstiles. During rope drop espeically when the park would be swamped like at SWW its often the case that someone needs help with their ticket at turnstile A and thus no one is even watching B for a good 2-3 min... long enough for 10 or more people to get through.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #59
Butler_chic07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamik86 View Post
The other option at DHS is she just may have been missed at the turnstiles. During rope drop espeically when the park would be swamped like at SWW its often the case that someone needs help with their ticket at turnstile A and thus no one is even watching B for a good 2-3 min... long enough for 10 or more people to get through.

I agree. I have often seen CM's become distracted during entrance, especially at rope drop.

I think that Disney's rule is clear and that it is a great rule. I am a teacher. I don't have my own children... yet... crushing a child's dream is horrible.

There are days that I may have loved to dress up and become a Disney character. (Maybe that's why I had to be married at WDW! So I could be a princess!) But I would (even at 15) not have not followed rules because I wanted to. I do understand there may be special needs, but that is up to the parents to how they handle those situations.

I don't think the media should have covered it the way they have. They should not have covered it at all, even if the parents contacted them. I know there are many other things out there that would be much more news worthy!! Just because someone is upset because they were asked to follow rules should not be media worthy.

I do agree that there should have been consistency, but who knows why, the point is someone caught it and asked her to change and gave her a type of compensation for changing. That was above and beyond. In school if one of my students does not follow the rules they do not receive any "compensation" they have consequences instead.

March 5th - 13th, 2010 CSR, Engagement Celebration
January 9th-14th, 2011 All-Star Sports, Wedding Planning Session Trip!
June 17th - 24th, 2011 Off-site timeshare, AKL, and POP Century, Wedding Trip & Honeymoon Part 1!
July 18th - 27th, 2012, All-Star Sports, "Delayed" 1st Anniversary Trip & Best Friend's Wedding
November 27 - December 1, 2013, All-Star Movies, Old Spice Classic (For the love of basketball)
June 14th - 16th, 2014 CBR
June 22nd - 23rd, 2014 Art of Animation

Finally a proud DVC owner at AKL

June 16th-22nd, 2014 AKL Jambo, Anniversary Trip, 1st Trip as DVC Owners

Officially Married my Prince in WDW on June 20, 2011
Old 06-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #60
elleherself
Mouseketeer

This is one of those strange Disney rules that can be easy to miss. And it's a fine line on what constitutes a costume anyway. Remember the elderly gentleman in the red shirt who was asked to change because he looked too much like Santa Claus!?

In this case the costume was clearly over that line. But I can see why a 15-year-old might think it was okay-- many kids from little to big go to the parks clothed as princesses, Tinkerbell, Jack Sparrow, etc. And when I was fifteen you better believe I would have cried-- I was a sensitive girl and I still had dolls and things (and a boyfriend too) and the whole authority coming down on me for the way I looked and the dashed hopes would definitely be too overwhelming for me. I would have FOR SURE cried. I would probably STILL cry.

I don't think the rule has to do with children's safety-- after all, no child has ever been abducted in WDW and I actually think someone dressed so conspicuously would have LESS of a chance of doing something. It's not like Tinkerbell can just blend in. Rather I think it's Disney protecting their brand in their parks, and rightly so. I dressed as Belle one MNSSHP and it was certainly a rush having the children think I was the REAL Belle, but I quickly became aware that I was representing that princess in their eyes. Not that I would say or do anything inappropriate anyway, but we were on an "adults" only trip (I was 22 at the time) and I was VERY careful about what I talked about in lines, or how I behaved when a child approached me anywhere on property, from the bathroom to sitting next to me on a ride! I had to be "on" all night. Super fun, would do it again, but a big responsibility representing my favorite princess for the night!

And the Disney staff that has worked so carefully and diligently to train their official princesses had no control how I acted. I could have sworn a blue streak down Main Street and ended up a vilified entity in a thread here. Of course I wouldn't do that, but the point is they had no control over anything I did while dressed up in their parks as one of their intellectual properties.
May 2008 (MK and AK - Hilton) ~ October 2008 (MNSSHP, DHS, Howl-O-Scream, IoA and Universal - offsite) ~ August 30, 2009 (24th Birthday at DHS! - stayed with family) ~ September 2009 (Epcot and MK - Saratoga Springs and Polynesian) ~ December 2009 (MK, Epcot, AK - offsite) ~ February 2010 (DHS, Epcot, MK - offsite) ~ October 2010 (MK, Epcot F&W, HS, AK, MNSSHP, Universal & IoA, Howl-O-Scream - FORT WILDERNESS CABIN!) ~ September 2012 (Epcot F&W, ToT 10 Miler, MNSSHP, MK - Bonnet Creek) ~ February 2013 (Princess 1/2 Marathon, MK Dapper Day, MK, Epcot, DHS, AK) - offsite ~ September 2013 (MNSSHP, DHS Dapper Day, Epcot) - Port Orleans French Quarter
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: