Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #16
DisneyMomma81
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylin View Post
We just had this done. The girls really liked it....
Thanks for sharing, she's lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
My DD9 is getting a surprise mermaid makeover when we go in October. I bought her this dress as a surprise, too...

http://www.sears.com/byer-girls-tier...&blockType=G19

I can't wait!
I just purchased that dress for my DD! Thanks! Really hoping to make it back to WDW next Oct, otherwise it'll be a lovely spring/summer dress next year *got a size 10, she'll be 9 in July.
DisneyMomma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #17
Jaylin
Mouseketeer

Thank you for the compilments everyone! Some answers to some questions....yes, you have to call in advance and make a reservaton, just like BBB. They were completely booked the day we went, 3wks ago, and weren't taking any walkups. It was crowded in there! Ton's of kids, it took about 2hrs from the time we got there till we were done.....of course when we left the place was empty, so as usual, I think we just have bad luck.

I also have a DS who had his pirate makeover....I think this is one of the best things disney offers for the boys. He's 9 and loved it!

I think the mermaid costs more because they get more things. They get a bottle of nail polish, a makeup kit, the hair clip and the necklace, and their hair done. Although my sons face took more time to do, he doesn't get as much "stuff".

Unfortunately the makeup and hair didn't last very long. And the quality of the look varied greatly from each pirate stylist. I had 3 mermaid (aka 3DD) and the picture of the one posted was by FAR the best, she had the best makeup. But my middle daughter had the best hairstyle. My youngest daughters makeup was really light and after a couple of hours there wasn't much left of it. It's done with just regular eye shadow, so it really didn't last. And after an hour or so their hair style was falling out and they all were just a mess! Each of them had the same general look, but some stylist were way better than others.....I guess it's just the luck of the draw.

Overall I definintely do it again, they had fun. But if you want pics or photopass pics (there are no photopass people in there) get them done immediately, because unlike BBB where the day won't move for days.....this one will be crazy after 1 ride!
Jaylin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #18
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you for the compilments everyone! Some answers to some questions....yes, you have to call in advance and make a reservaton, just like BBB. They were completely booked the day we went, 3wks ago, and weren't taking any walkups. It was crowded in there! Ton's of kids, it took about 2hrs from the time we got there till we were done.....of course when we left the place was empty, so as usual, I think we just have bad luck.

I also have a DS who had his pirate makeover....I think this is one of the best things disney offers for the boys. He's 9 and loved it!

I think the mermaid costs more because they get more things. They get a bottle of nail polish, a makeup kit, the hair clip and the necklace, and their hair done. Although my sons face took more time to do, he doesn't get as much "stuff".

Unfortunately the makeup and hair didn't last very long. And the quality of the look varied greatly from each pirate stylist. I had 3 mermaid (aka 3DD) and the picture of the one posted was by FAR the best, she had the best makeup. But my middle daughter had the best hairstyle. My youngest daughters makeup was really light and after a couple of hours there wasn't much left of it. It's done with just regular eye shadow, so it really didn't last. And after an hour or so their hair style was falling out and they all were just a mess! Each of them had the same general look, but some stylist were way better than others.....I guess it's just the luck of the draw.

Overall I definintely do it again, they had fun. But if you want pics or photopass pics (there are no photopass people in there) get them done immediately, because unlike BBB where the day won't move for days.....this one will be crazy after 1 ride!
Good to know about the hair issue. I am kinda crazy about DD's hair staying put, so I will definitely be making sure I have the proper "equipment" to make the hair stay in place.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #19
tzolkin
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That's why I was wondering about the price difference because to me it seems like the same amount of "stuff". The pirates get the bandana, eye patch, necklace, sword, bag of jewels, and when DD did the empress package last year she also got a full sized lip gloss and nail polish and stick-on gems. I didn't think about the hair styling. That must be the difference.

Your description of it not lasting is actually why I'm hesitant to have them do it again. Last trip was in October and it was unusually cool. This time we will be going in August, so I'm just imagining that face paint is going to be uncomfortable and "melted" a few minutes after we step outside. Hmm... I guess we will have to think about it some more.
tzolkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #20
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzolkin View Post
That's why I was wondering about the price difference because to me it seems like the same amount of "stuff". The pirates get the bandana, eye patch, necklace, sword, bag of jewels, and when DD did the empress package last year she also got a full sized lip gloss and nail polish and stick-on gems. I didn't think about the hair styling. That must be the difference.

Your description of it not lasting is actually why I'm hesitant to have them do it again. Last trip was in October and it was unusually cool. This time we will be going in August, so I'm just imagining that face paint is going to be uncomfortable and "melted" a few minutes after we step outside. Hmm... I guess we will have to think about it some more.
It is real eye shadow and not face paint,. My DD wears glasses, so I don't know what it will look like when she's done and has to put her glasses on, but the $40 for the experience of doing it (and the accessories) will be well worth the price to me.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:39 AM   #21
jacksmom
DIS Veteran

We are doing this on 6/21 ! Can't wait! Would love more info/pics!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #22
klineyqueen
I live in the country where nothing much happens

I am already scheduled for two pirate packages....wonder if I won't get one of them switched to a mermaid package! Thanks for the updates!

1991 - offsite w/ parents 1991 - offsite w/ band 1995 - ASMu 2002 - Caribbean Beach and 3 day Wonder 1/17/04 - Western Cruise-Magic 12/04 - Christmas in Disney8/05 - Pop Century 12/06- Double Dip Magic Cruise w/ POP & ASMu 6/07- Celebrated Mom's 50th Birthday - ASMo Trip for Free Meal Plan 8/07 - POP 6/09 - 12 days at POP8/12 Pop11/13 Fantastic Fantasy
klineyqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #23
freitasohana
Earning My Ears

Where is this makeover done? I'd like to add it to our plans
Old 06-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #24
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by freitasohana View Post
Where is this makeover done? I'd like to add it to our plans
It is done at Pirate's League in MK.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #25
Celine
Mouseketeer

Sorry to bump this thread back up, but I have a question. It says that the kids get to participate in the parade when you do this.. did anyone's kid here do it? Do we have a way of finding out when that parade will be? I have my kids reserved to do the pirate for my son and the mermaid for my daughter on the 10th of December.... and THOUGHT I would want to do this on our CRT day.. what do you guys think? I'm torn between how cool it looks, but also not particularly "princessy." Know what I mean?
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #26
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celine View Post
Sorry to bump this thread back up, but I have a question. It says that the kids get to participate in the parade when you do this.. did anyone's kid here do it? Do we have a way of finding out when that parade will be? I have my kids reserved to do the pirate for my son and the mermaid for my daughter on the 10th of December.... and THOUGHT I would want to do this on our CRT day.. what do you guys think? I'm torn between how cool it looks, but also not particularly "princessy." Know what I mean?
The parade is daily at 4:10pm. You can find it on youtube to see what it is like. As long as the appointments are before 2:45 they should be able to make the parade.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #27
Celine
Mouseketeer

Oh okay! Thank you!!! Our reservations were for 3pm, but I was thinking about changing them anyway!
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #28
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzolkin View Post
We'll be there in Aug too and my DD just decided she really wants to do this. So we booked it today!!! 9:20am! I'm worried too about it's staying power in the heat. What's everyone's plans to help it stay put?

I'll definitely bring a small can of hair spray. Any other ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomma81 View Post
I just purchased that dress for my DD! Thanks! Really hoping to make it back to WDW next Oct, otherwise it'll be a lovely spring/summer dress next year *got a size 10, she'll be 9 in July.
Thanks for the inspiration! After seeing the dress - I was inspired and my DD and I started shopping for dresses. At the end of the day, we cobbled something together from clothes we already have that we ended up liking better than the pretty dresses we saw online. She's wearing a turqouise blue tank with a purple maxi skirt. I was worried about a polyester dress in the heat (btw, JC Penney has some very pretty dresses too!)

We hope to be done in about half an hour and then go see Ariel for her 10am meet. Then, CRT at 10:20am. Then Mickey & Minnie at the Town Square Theatre followed by the Princesses (mostly to meet Rapunzel). Then a couple of rides followed by a break back at the hotel before heading back out again for dinner with Cinderella at 1900 Park Fare. Should get lots of mileage out of her makeover!
elaine amj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #29
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine amj View Post
We'll be there in Aug too and my DD just decided she really wants to do this. So we booked it today!!! 9:20am! I'm worried too about it's staying power in the heat. What's everyone's plans to help it stay put?

I'll definitely bring a small can of hair spray. Any other ideas?

Thanks for the inspiration! After seeing the dress - I was inspired and my DD and I started shopping for dresses. At the end of the day, we cobbled something together from clothes we already have that we ended up liking better than the pretty dresses we saw online. She's wearing a turqouise blue tank with a purple maxi skirt. I was worried about a polyester dress in the heat (btw, JC Penney has some very pretty dresses too!)

We hope to be done in about half an hour and then go see Ariel for her 10am meet. Then, CRT at 10:20am. Then Mickey & Minnie at the Town Square Theatre followed by the Princesses (mostly to meet Rapunzel). Then a couple of rides followed by a break back at the hotel before heading back out again for dinner with Cinderella at 1900 Park Fare. Should get lots of mileage out of her makeover!
There is no way you will be able to do the 10am Ariel M&G. You are supposed to be at your ADR 15 minutes early. There is a good chance that you will have to go to CRT straight from PL. I would grab a FP for the Princesses and do Ariel after your meal.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #30
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
There is no way you will be able to do the 10am Ariel M&G. You are supposed to be at your ADR 15 minutes early. There is a good chance that you will have to go to CRT straight from PL. I would grab a FP for the Princesses and do Ariel after your meal.
True true - I'm just dreaming. You're so right - I should just expect to head straight to CRT after the makeover. Ah well, we'll just do her meet after CRT. I know we'll likely meet Ariel at CRT - but nothing beets the official Meet with the nice background. I'm not a fan of the character dining pics with all the tables in the background. The only reason we're eating in the Castle...is to eat in THE CASTLE!

It's a hoot - I've pretty much sworn off all character dinign - we have no real interest in it...but our next trip is full of character dining - FOUR of them! All for reasons other than the characters. (Well, except for 1900 Park Fare to see the stepsisters in action)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: