Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #76
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side
 
BadgerGirl84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,931

Add me to the list! When Southwest posted their 40% off sale this past week, the wheels started turning in my head. I thought a long weekend somewhere warm (or at least warmer...we live in Wisconsin!) in the winter would be wonderful. Plus, my husband and I each had $60+ vouchers on SWA to burn up.

With our vouchers, we got R/T between Milwaukee and SNA for $120 each. Plus, I have been traveling for work since April, so I have some free National car rental days and some Hilton points to use.

I thought long and hard about what weekend to go, and I picked 1/23-1/28. I thought it'd be better to go the weekend AFTER MLK day rather than before. However, after finding this blog...there is something called NLMM? Is this a conference or something? Any thoughts on if this just has an impact primarily on hotels or if it also has affected park attendance in the past?

We will have 4 full days in sunny California and we plan on doing Disneyland one day, DCA another day, a rest/sightseeing day, and a day at Hollywood Universal (we want to see the Transformers ride).

I can't wait to start planning! In the past year I have planned trips to Disneyland Paris this past May, our honeymoon trip to WDW in Sept...and now our Disneyland trip.
__________________
Me: (29) DH: (31) DD born July 2013 Minnie and Eve the Frenchtons: (2)

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #77
kim532
DIS Veteran
 
kim532's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 744

Badgergirl we are from WI too. Will be there Jan 26th - 30th.
__________________


AKV Owner! (me) (DH - Ryan) (DS - Evan 8) (DS - Joel 7)
kim532 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #78
Lucille1963
DIS Veteran
 
Lucille1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloweenqueen View Post
I'm trying to decide which long weekend to go next year.

First weekend (1/4), probably VERY busy, but Christmas is on!

Second weekend (1/11), probably the best crowdwise, but now I am reading many schools out to the 14th.

Third weekend (1/18), MLK weekend. I've done this and noticed the increase of crowds, usually like the weekend before better.

Four weekend (1/25), NAMM. Increased crowds and hotel rooms at a premium.



Right now I'm booked for the 11th weekend. I would love to hear other posters thoughts on a good weekend.
When does the Half Marathon fit into that schedule?

We've always been there for the end of the month (around my birthday which is on the 30th) and we've loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerGirl84 View Post
Add me to the list! When Southwest posted their 40% off sale this past week, the wheels started turning in my head. I thought a long weekend somewhere warm (or at least warmer...we live in Wisconsin!) in the winter would be wonderful. Plus, my husband and I each had $60+ vouchers on SWA to burn up.

With our vouchers, we got R/T between Milwaukee and SNA for $120 each. Plus, I have been traveling for work since April, so I have some free National car rental days and some Hilton points to use.

I thought long and hard about what weekend to go, and I picked 1/23-1/28. I thought it'd be better to go the weekend AFTER MLK day rather than before. However, after finding this blog...there is something called NLMM? Is this a conference or something? Any thoughts on if this just has an impact primarily on hotels or if it also has affected park attendance in the past?

We will have 4 full days in sunny California and we plan on doing Disneyland one day, DCA another day, a rest/sightseeing day, and a day at Hollywood Universal (we want to see the Transformers ride).

I can't wait to start planning! In the past year I have planned trips to Disneyland Paris this past May, our honeymoon trip to WDW in Sept...and now our Disneyland trip.
The NAMM Show (http://www.namm.org/thenammshow/2013) can make hotel rooms very pricey, but the one year we vacationed during it, we didn't see a huge bump in park crowds.

Is this your first trip to Disneyland, Badgergirl?
__________________
Nicole

Lucille1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #79
Mazel
Proud Navy Mom
 
Mazel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 172

Can we get the discount convention tickets during that time like people did for gay days? I know a few people who took advantage of that.
__________________
This Space Available, inquire within.
Mazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #80
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...
 
Halloweenqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Washington State
Posts: 4,214

NAMM isn't open to the public, so I doubt discounts are available unless you are a member (music retailer).

I noticed rooms are at a premium that weekend. Rates are almost double in some places. I noticed more crowds in Downtown Disney, etc. The parks didn't seem as busy though.

I did call the YES program and it seems classes will be NAMM weekend, so that might be an option for discount tickets.

We decided to go the 1st to the 5th. The kids don't need to be taken out if school. We can enjoy the decorations.
__________________
dh me ds 16 dd 15 ds 15 dd 14 dd 10
Halloweenqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #81
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side
 
BadgerGirl84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,931

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim532 View Post
Badgergirl we are from WI too. Will be there Jan 26th - 30th.
Cool! We live in Madison. I'm so excited to be getting a break from the cold winter weather...especially after the fun of Christmas and New Year's is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille1963 View Post
The NAMM Show (http://www.namm.org/thenammshow/2013) can make hotel rooms very pricey, but the one year we vacationed during it, we didn't see a huge bump in park crowds.

Is this your first trip to Disneyland, Badgergirl?
Thanks for the details...and the information regarding the crowds.

Yes--this is our first trip to Disneyland! My husband and I have been to WDW several times together (got engaged there, honeymooned there, 1st anniversary trip there this past Sept.) I have always wanted to visit DL and DCA...but I have to admit, Cars Land is a major draw for me. I went from wanting to go to HAVING to go.
__________________
Me: (29) DH: (31) DD born July 2013 Minnie and Eve the Frenchtons: (2)

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #82
Lucille1963
DIS Veteran
 
Lucille1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 975

BIG NEWS from another thread on this board:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Girimama33 View Post
The DLR portal has been updated: http://media.disneywebcontent.com/St...rbishments.pdf They have October 2012 listed, but I am pretty sure they meant 2013.

Jan. 7  Feb. 14, 2013: Fantasmic! will be closed for refurbishment.
Jan. 7  March 28, 2013: Mark Twain Riverboat will be closed for refurbishment.
Jan. 7  March 28, 2013: Pioneer Mercantile will be closed for refurbishment.
Jan. 7  Oct. 30, 2012: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad will be closed for refurbishment.
__________________
Nicole

Lucille1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #83
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille1963 View Post
BIG NEWS from another thread on this board:
Also, no Grizzly River Run or Silly Symphony Swings. Sad news for sure.
__________________
Disney Trips:
Disneyland: Jan '13 (VGC -- Trip Report), Aug '10 (Beach house), May '04 (Good Neighbor hotel), Sept '00 (Good Neighbor hotel), about a dozen times from 1985-89
WDW: Jan '11 (BWV), Oct '08 (CBR), Sept '07 (POFQ), May '99 (CSR), Mar '92 (CBR), June '82 (Offsite)
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #84
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side
 
BadgerGirl84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,931

Wow--I am bummed about Fantastic. We have never seen it in DHS and I've always heard that the version at Disneyland is the best.

Oh well, we knew that we'd be trading some lower crowds for refurbishment season when we picked to go in Jan.

Thanks for letting me know about the closures.
__________________
Me: (29) DH: (31) DD born July 2013 Minnie and Eve the Frenchtons: (2)

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #85
Homemom
DIS Veteran
 
Homemom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,213

We will be staying at VGC Jan 28 - Feb 2. Looking forward to seeing Carsland.
__________________


WDW: Sept 04, Dec 05, Jan 09, Nov 11, Sept 12, Feb 14
DL: Feb 05, April 06, Feb 07, Oct 07, Sept 10, Jan 12, Jan 13
DCL: Jan 10, Oct 13
Homemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #86
PrincessDuck
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: OHIO
Posts: 522

We are in!!

We will be arriving Jan. 23 and leaving on the 31st!!!

I have been to Disneyland 2 times in the last 3 years with a ladies trip, but my husband and two kids have never been.

My daughter is so excited to see the other castle!!! We have been to Disneyworld 10+ times since we have had kids.

Daisy

Oh! We are staying in a villa at the Grand with our DVC points.
PrincessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #87
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...
 
Halloweenqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Washington State
Posts: 4,214

Wow...the growing refurb list is a bummer. I keep waffling on our dates. Think I'll stick to that busier first week.
__________________
dh me ds 16 dd 15 ds 15 dd 14 dd 10
Halloweenqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #88
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,507

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessDuck View Post
We will be arriving Jan. 23 and leaving on the 31st!!!

I have been to Disneyland 2 times in the last 3 years with a ladies trip, but my husband and two kids have never been.

My daughter is so excited to see the other castle!!! We have been to Disneyworld 10+ times since we have had kids.

Daisy

Oh! We are staying in a villa at the Grand with our DVC points.
Awesome trip. What are you doing for tickets for a stay that long? Season passes? 5 day passes + 2 day passes?
__________________
Disney Trips:
Disneyland: Jan '13 (VGC -- Trip Report), Aug '10 (Beach house), May '04 (Good Neighbor hotel), Sept '00 (Good Neighbor hotel), about a dozen times from 1985-89
WDW: Jan '11 (BWV), Oct '08 (CBR), Sept '07 (POFQ), May '99 (CSR), Mar '92 (CBR), June '82 (Offsite)
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #89
jmac323
Mouseketeer
 
jmac323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No. California
Posts: 354

Ok I still haven't booked. I'm such a procrastinator. We are still going Jan 26-30 and I'm hitting Costco today to get their special on 4-day park hoppers for $259! Once I have those I'll price check the PPH again and book. I swear!
__________________
Jenn & DH
DD1 (8) & DD2 (4)
jmac323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #90
PrincessDuck
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: OHIO
Posts: 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValpoCory View Post
Awesome trip. What are you doing for tickets for a stay that long? Season passes? 5 day passes + 2 day passes?
We only plan to hit the parks for 5 days. I am waiting to see about the YES classes. My 9 year old daughter would love to do at least one of these. If it works out the tickets thru that would be cheaper.

If not, I am eyeing that Costco deal.

The kids really want to go see "Hollywood!" So I plan on doing some sightseeing for at least one day. I am still debating on Universal or Legoland?

I am all in for suggestions! I have never planned a trip to Disneyland, so I treading water on this one.
PrincessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.