Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #211
Amber74
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip View Post
No, they have a specific holding area inside the park. As far as being better, eh, we still ended up doing about the same number of houses before the crowds got in as we do for S&S. The downside is - nowhere to get a drink or a bite to eat. It was cool to do it once, but we skipped it on the remaining nights and opted for Finnegan's instead.

Try it on the first night you're there and see how you like it. Then you can either do it again or hang out at Finnegan's.
I wish I could go more than 1 night! I have done Finnegan's area before and used the time eating there. So that sounds like it is still the better choice. The first year I went I was able to do 2 nights because it was just me and DH. This year I will have 2 little ones that will be with their Nana for the night. Don't think I can squeeze another night in.
So excited! I just started watching The Walking Dead earlier this year and then got caught up with the first season on Netflix. We had already been planning to go to HHN this year and then they announce the house.
2007(January)-AllStar Mo Toy Story
2007(September)-Coronado Springs
2008-Universal Royal Pacific HHN Bloody Mary
2010(September)-offsite(Star Island Resort) Universal HHN XX
2010(December)-AllStar Mo Toy Story
2011(July/Aug) Disneyland and Southern Cali theme parks Portofino Inn and Suites

2012(Sept)Allstar Sports and Universal's Portofino Bay HHN XXII
Amber74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #212
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

I did the AP holding area last year on a Friday (After doing the SNS on Thursday).

Personally, I preferred the SNS holding area. More shade and more fun atmostphere.

The AP holding area was in the back in the area in front of the Animal show theater. After the park closed to the public, we were allowed into the 2 houses which had lines start in the Kidzone area. The one house that normally let's out over by MIB however they routed us back into the Kidzone holding area.

At that point, a HUGE line formed waiting for the release past the Canyon of Lost Souls to head over to the next house by MIB. Of course... once they opened it, there was mad chaos to get to the house line.

At that point we then had another short wait (I was towards the front of the line into the 3rd house) before they cleared us to cross over towards Amity. I probably would've had time to then hit the Jaws house before getting in line for the AP Bill&Ted show.

In some ways, it was probably nice because I would've had time to hit 3-4 houses in the time it would've taken to hit 2-3 in the regular SNS.... and I was already on the back side of the park. BUT..... If I had stayed longer into the night, instead of being "in front" of the crowds like you can be for most of the night with SNS, I would've been heading straight into the crowd coming from the front of the park.

(it may have also just been personal preference, but the eye adjustment time from the bright outside to the dark houses was a lot more of an issue with the houses in the back of the park vs. the soundstage houses you get to first from SNS. I'm thinking that could be due in part that at least with the soundstage houses you have a bit of shaded area before entering the dark building, and the initial entrance to the house is a bit larger before you enter into the maze giving you more eye adjustment time before congo'ing.)
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #213
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

forgot my dis pw and just remembered it.

i hate being locked out of the house.
could only read and not post....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnvxj...ature=youtu.be

short video on P & T video regarding their house this year.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #214
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip View Post
I'm wondering if they're even going to have an icon this year, as I can't see any sort of coherent theme in the 4 houses listed so far.
Welcome to 'my' nightmare comes to mind but know they've used theme of Horror Nights Nightmares in the past so it's probably out.

R.E.M.'s It's the End of the World and We Know It (And I Feel Fine) would fit with this year's mayan doomsday crap, but doubtful they'd associate their legacy thusly.

who's next to guess?

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #215
DCTooTall

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
forgot my dis pw and just remembered it.

i hate being locked out of the house.
could only read and not post....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnvxj...ature=youtu.be

short video on P & T video regarding their house this year.
Tsk tsk tsk... Bad Mac. You should always leave the spare key someplace nearby or with someone you trust.

and the P&T house looks like it could be fun. Gotta admit, I'm really curious about the Showgirls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
Welcome to 'my' nightmare comes to mind but know they've used theme of Horror Nights Nightmares in the past so it's probably out.

R.E.M.'s It's the End of the World and We Know It (And I Feel Fine) would fit with this year's mayan doomsday crap, but doubtful they'd associate their legacy thusly.

who's next to guess?
The one interesting thing is we do have a general entertainment type of theme so far with Music (Alice Cooper), Television (Walking Dead), films/Video games ( Silent Hill), and even Live Stage Shows (P&T). I could see them using the entertainment angle as a way to tie everything together.... Even if it's primarily thru some scare zone themes.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #216
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

The more these announcements come the more I'm not excited about this year.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #217
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
Penn & Teller magic gone wrong? What's NOT to be excited about?
Old 08-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #218
Lycaon
Lurking Beastie

I didn't see this posted anywhere yet, and I felt it was important to share:

Link to HHN 2012 Website Survey
(Copy and Paste into your address bar, it will not work if you click it)

This was added to the website recently. If you're like me and you think the website stinks this year, please fill that out and let them know. Maybe next year we can have a fun, interactive website again.

Quote:
I kinda agree with you on this. I'm still excited about going to HHN, but I don't care for the bare bones website, the boring "let's reveal a house every week" Facebook and Twitter updates, and I'm bitterly disappointed over the lack of an icon or storyline. Immersion is one of the main reasons I enjoy HHN, and I'll find it hard to immerse myself if I'm not given a world in which to do so... if that makes any sense.

It's really sad how this seems to be the only forum I can express this opinion on without some fanboy/girl jumping on my case and getting snarky over it. *sigh*

October 1995 - WDW (all parks), Sea World, US
October 4-11, 2010 - EPCOT, DHS, US/IOA, HHN XX (first HHN!)
October 5-10, 2011 - US/IOA, HHN XXI
October 3-8, 2012 - US/IOA, HHN XXII
Lycaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #219
DCTooTall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycaon View Post

I kinda agree with you on this. I'm still excited about going to HHN, but I don't care for the bare bones website, the boring "let's reveal a house every week" Facebook and Twitter updates, and I'm bitterly disappointed over the lack of an icon or storyline. Immersion is one of the main reasons I enjoy HHN, and I'll find it hard to immerse myself if I'm not given a world in which to do so... if that makes any sense.

It's really sad how this seems to be the only forum I can express this opinion on without some fanboy/girl jumping on my case and getting snarky over it. *sigh*
snark/ OMG! HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE IT?!!!!!!111 HHN IS TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!11111 YOU JUST ARENT APPRECIATING IT CAUSE U R LAME!!!!1111 /snark

Feel better now?

Old 08-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #220
Maytrix
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
Why?

The Penn and Teller email I got today actually sealed the deal for me. My wife and I are big Penn and Teller fans. After going to HHN for 6 years in a row, we haven't been that last 3 year. Looks like we'll be going opening night and maybe the 2nd night too - might just get express and only do the first night.

Probably unlikely, but I was thinking it would be very cool if they had Penn and Teller there for the opening night. Would certainly draw a lot of attention to things.
Maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #221
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maytrix View Post
Why?

The Penn and Teller email I got today actually sealed the deal for me. My wife and I are big Penn and Teller fans. After going to HHN for 6 years in a row, we haven't been that last 3 year. Looks like we'll be going opening night and maybe the 2nd night too - might just get express and only do the first night.

Probably unlikely, but I was thinking it would be very cool if they had Penn and Teller there for the opening night. Would certainly draw a lot of attention to things.
I don't like P & T...never have. I'm not into The Walking Dead and I'm not an Alice Cooper fan. So far the only thing announced that I'm interested in is Silent Hill. Believe me when I tell you I'm very disappointed so far. This will be HHN #9 for me and I've never felt is let down in all the years I've gone. If these announcements don't start lighting a fire with me, this will be a one and done show this year.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #222
Maytrix
Mouseketeer

I've never seen their show, but we loved their show BullSh1t. It was funny and there was a lot of truth to it.

I haven't really paid much attention to the houses other than this one. I always find watching other people more amusing than the houses themselves - I really don't find them scary at all.
Maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #223
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Yeah...I think you can definitely tell there was a change in management a few years ago. It seems like they are just throwing this event together and the website hasn't been fun since 2007. In recent years it seems as though HOS has completely passed HHN on the website side of it and that's where lots of people get pumped about going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maytrix View Post
I haven't really paid much attention to the houses other than this one. I always find watching other people more amusing than the houses themselves - I really don't find them scary at all.
We all like different things. I go for the houses...I couldn't care less about the shows . I haven't seen B & T since 2005 as I'm not into that type of humor. I think it's great that you like P & T but I don't and I usually go five or six times a year. Living close to the parks makes it a great event for me but like I said...there hasn't been much that has my interest...at least not yet.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #224
Raider82
Earning My Ears

Anyone know anything about the on-site hotel guest priority entrance? On the FAQ on the website it says hotel guests have a priority entrance from 6pm-8pm. Doesn't HHN generally open for the general public at what 6:30 or 7? Is this like the holding areas for the annual pass holders and stay and scream, or just a special line to get in to the event?

I have been in the park for stay and scream and for the annual pass holders. I have never heard of this before. I'm not doing stay and scream or no longer a pass holder, but I am staying on-site this time.

Also I purchased the Rush of Fear pass a park tickets separate as it was much cheaper. Any chance I could stay in the park for Stay and Scream?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #225
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

Quote:
I didn't see this posted anywhere yet, and I felt it was important to share:

Link to HHN 2012 Website Survey
(Copy and Paste into your address bar, it will not work if you click it)

This was added to the website recently. If you're like me and you think the website stinks this year, please fill that out and let them know. Maybe next year we can have a fun, interactive website again.

i agree with youse homie.
i was so geared to the website being like it has in the past years.
this year, meh.

i am excited to go to hhn though, just wanted a better and bigger build up.
an interactive website would have been awesome.

i'm finding my info regarding hhn on other sites before it is listed on the official hhn website.

i read on another site 2 days back about penn and teller.
then it was written up with the video in the tent before UO released it 'officially'.
HUH?

i think it was in 05 that most of the houses, if not all, were tied together in the theme.
i'm not catching on to the theme this year yet.
hopefully, something will come out of nowhere and amaze me for this year's event.

you are among friends here.
say whatever you want and all the homies will accept your thoughts and opinions. everyone's view counts.
some might not agree and will post that, but the darkside threads are not known for snarkyism.

i signed up for panel some years back.
there are times i get them and times others get them.
when i am looking at prices on the website, i have received an invite to do a survey then.
btw, it did work for me by clicking on it.

usually you find out more of what could happen when you do them.

i got my room booked, air covered, hhn pass, csw shirt ordered and money.
i'm just waiting for when to go..

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: