Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Question Lens Opinions needed (Wide Angle)

I have decided to rent a wide angle lens for my September trip. If I like the lens, I am going to purchase it later. After much research, reading of reviews and looking through photos taken with various wide angles, I have narrowed the choice down to 2:

Tokina AF12-24mm F/4

and

Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm not closed to suggestions if there are other recommendations. I do not have an unlimited budget but I would also rather wait if necessary and pay a bit more, rather than just buy something because it's affordable.

I have a Nikon D90 if that has any bearing on advice given.

My other lenses are Nikkor 18-105 VR; Nikkor 50 mm F1.8 AFD; Nikkor 55 - 300 VR

Hopefully that's enough information to get you all started
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
wbeem
DIS Veteran

I used to own the Tokina 12-24mm lens when I was shooting Nikon DX cameras. Excellent lens, never had any problems with it. I couldn't see any reason that the Nikon lens was better in this range, so I saved money on the Tokina. No regrets.
wbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Experiment_626
Stealth Geek

I can't speak to the Tokina because I've not used it. I have the Sigma and have really enjoyed it. Be sure to keep the front element scrupulously clean -- especially at night, it can be prone to flare ghosting if smudged. That may be something common to UWAs in general; I cannot say, but if you keep it clean it gives good results. And while it doesn't sound like much, I think the extra 2mm on the wider end are significant and noticeable in a wide angle. Of course, you might appreciate being able to go to 24mm with the Tokina at times as well.

SSB
Old 05-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbeem View Post
I used to own the Tokina 12-24mm lens when I was shooting Nikon DX cameras. Excellent lens, never had any problems with it. I couldn't see any reason that the Nikon lens was better in this range, so I saved money on the Tokina. No regrets.
Thank you. Of the two, that is the one I am leaning towards. I really haven't seen a negative review on it. I hadn't really paid attention to the price difference between the Nikon lens and the Tokina. I've just had a look, prompted by your comment, and see that the difference is quite significant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experiment_626 View Post
And while it doesn't sound like much, I think the extra 2mm on the wider end are significant and noticeable in a wide angle. Of course, you might appreciate being able to go to 24mm with the Tokina at times as well.
I think there is always going to be some compromise one way or another. As I've never used a wide angle before I think the 12mm end of the Tokina from the 18mm I have had up until now on my 18-105 is going to be a noticeable difference for me anyway. I also hear you on the extra reach between 20 and 24 that the Tokina is going to offer. But this is one of the primary reasons why I have decided to rent a lens before buying. If I send it back at the end of the trip and think "I would love to use this lens again" I think it's pretty much sold My logic is, also, that if I rent it, I know it has to go back and that is going to make me put more effort into making use of it while I have it - well in theory anyway.

Thank you both for your input. It's much appreciated

Last edited by 2Tiggies; 05-25-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
2Tiggies

Nothing in life is simple. I guess that it would make a very boring existence if everything went just as predicted.

I have priced up the Tokina 12-24 to rent. I need it for at least 21 days as we're doing an 18 night stay this year. With rental costs plus shipping charges, it's pushing close to the $200 mark. I'm wondering if it's just more sensible to buy it and then sell it if I really don't get along with it. I think I might kick myself if I decide to buy it after we get back, knowing I've spent a third of the cost on renting the same one and having had to send it back ......
Old 05-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
NateNLogansDad
Still Wish'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
Nothing in life is simple. I guess that it would make a very boring existence if everything went just as predicted.

I have priced up the Tokina 12-24 to rent. I need it for at least 21 days as we're doing an 18 night stay this year. With rental costs plus shipping charges, it's pushing close to the $200 mark. I'm wondering if it's just more sensible to buy it and then sell it if I really don't get along with it. I think I might kick myself if I decide to buy it after we get back, knowing I've spent a third of the cost on renting the same one and having had to send it back ......
If you bought it, used it for 6 months, and sold it as a used lens in excellent condition, you probably wouldn't take a $200 hit. Even if you did, it would be breaking even, compared to the $200 you were going to put out for rental costs.
NateNLogansDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateNLogansDad View Post
If you bought it, used it for 6 months, and sold it as a used lens in excellent condition, you probably wouldn't take a $200 hit. Even if you did, it would be breaking even, compared to the $200 you were going to put out for rental costs.
This is what I'm thinking. It's really not on a list of things I need - but it is right up top of the list of things I really want!

I'm talking myself into this aren't I ......
Old 05-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

I used to own the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 for my D5100, now I have the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 for my Nex 7. I can say that the Tokina is definitely sharper from corner to corner. It's also a constant 2.8.
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
ionz13
Earning My Ears

I have a D90 and used the 12-24mm Tokina the last time I was at Disneyworld. I think it's a great lens for the price. The photos aren't as "tack sharp" as my 18-55mm IMO; but the lens does take very good photos. I also like the build quality, it feels very solid.

I found it a tad heavy walking around with this lens, at the end of our week trip, my hand was getting tired.

The major major plus was the 12mm range. I was able to capture photos with my fiance in the picture without having to backup (i.e. good for crowded areas.)

I found that with the wide angle lens, you have to be careful with your subjects and lining them up on the "rule of thirds" lines. If they are not within the two lines, i.e. they are on the edge, there is some mild distortion.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
WDWFigment
Owner of Disney Tourist Blog

Why aren't you considering the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8?

That's the lens I'd be getting if I were in your shoes. Given the amount of time you need it, I'd just buy. I'll bet $5 (okay, not really) that you won't end up reselling it when you're done...

Follow me: Twitter - Instagram - Facebook - Pinterest
WDWFigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #11
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWFigment View Post
Why aren't you considering the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8?

That's the lens I'd be getting if I were in your shoes. Given the amount of time you need it, I'd just buy. I'll bet $5 (okay, not really) that you won't end up reselling it when you're done...
I don't know, is the truthful answer to your question.

I didn't specifically exclude it; the 12-24 just seemed to come up with more reviews, as did the Sigma (which may be down to the low cost). That in turn led me to search more sample images of the 12-24 and I suppose, just led me in the path in that direction. I am very open to advice, which is why I posted the question. Could I ask you why you would choose the 11-16 F2.8? Is it for the wider aperture? I am assuming that I wouldn't notice the 1 mm difference at the wide angle end (a) due to never having used anything wider than 18 mm and (b) just because I wouldn't have known any better. However if there are aspects that this lens will offer me that would be superior to the 12-24 mm, I am quite open to go with that. My knowledge in the field is lacking somewhat, to say the least, and I appreciate the advice of experience.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #12
WDWFigment
Owner of Disney Tourist Blog

My Tokina 11-16m review should answer most questions.

Follow me: Twitter - Instagram - Facebook - Pinterest
WDWFigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWFigment View Post
My Tokina 11-16m review should answer most questions.
Thank you

I think we have a winner. I was sold by the time we got to Buzz Lightyear

Last edited by 2Tiggies; 05-26-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #14
C&B Young
www.canadisney.com

Tom "sold" us our Tokina 11-16 too (Tokina really should be paying him a commission by now!). Like he says, once you shoot with it you'll find it on your camera a LOT of the time, fantastic lens!
C&B Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
2Tiggies

I just want to thank everyone on here who took the time to give me advice. I think I am going to go with the 11-16. Still not too sure whether to buy or rent, although going by the comments on here I would be smarter to buy, and then sell (and pay Tom $5 don't )

Hopefully I will get some photos worth posting on here!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: