Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #331
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneytink29 View Post

Thanks!! My nephew is also in school at USC! I'm in the Upstate of SC, which is a beautiful area, if I do say so myself!!

I had a rough run this Saturday - but I'm looking forward to my 5Ks this Saturday coming!!
What year is your nephew? My DS is a senior, but he is staying for grad school I think. Great attitude about the bad run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbride6205 View Post
Welcome, Jessica!

The knee...meh. I almost completed my 15 miler last Tuesday. I really took the pace easy and did even more walking than I originally planned, but the knee or whatever it is just felt awful. I made it 12.75 miles and did 1 more mile the next morning. I did manage to teach dance and get in two 30-minute training run/walks later in the week - no problems. I have an appointment with a sports med doctor Thursday morning.

I don't know if the glucosamine helps - I've never taken it regularly before. I figure I'll try anything to get me through to the marathon.

It's been a year since I've been to the chiropractor and I'm thinking I might try that too! But my reasoning for that is more for neck/back/hip alignment.
I'm sorry about the knee. I think of you every time my itband starts talking to me, which seems to be a lot lately since it has gotten cold. I am trying to figure out if there is a correlation. I know my problems start in my lower back/hips and it has all been so ridiculously tight and seems to never get warmed up with the cold air outside. I am thinking about trying one of those portable heating thingies for muscle soreness on the next long run in the cold. I figure it can't hurt...or at least I can't think of how it could hurt. I hope the dr. visit is helpful.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #332
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Nicole--Happy Belated Birthday! Hope that you had a fantastic day!

MB--I saw on another thread that you had a fall. I hope you are doing ok. I know after I lost my weight, that I really panicked when I could not exercise due to injuries. I don't know if you are struggling with missing workouts, but I wanted to tell you--it is not the beginning of the end. (Which is what I thought--I assumed I was going to gain every pound back.) Hopefully it is just a little set back. And if you don't need the encouragement--feel free to ignore me.

At a risk of repeating myself (can't remember if I posted this question before) here's a QOTW. I need this as much for myself as anything.

QOTW---brrrr, winter is just around the corner. It's cloudy and gray. The sun is barely making an appearance (at least where I live). Around here it is damp and rainy a lot. How are you handling your workouts/ training with fall in full force and winter just around the corner?

I will come back and answer later, but in case you didn't guess, I am not a big fan of winter. (Which is why I refuse to complain no matter how hot and humid it is in the summer). I try to make the best of it and be positive, but it is a huge struggle for me.
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #333
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Nicole, happy belated birthday!

I freely admit that I am a fair weather runner. So when it is too hot, too wet, too cold, too dark or too anything else I retreat to the indoor running track. Yes, I feel like I am running in circles but I tell myself I am working on my mental toughness. Plus it's handy to all facilities that might be needed.

I'm liking the 10 day forecast for WDW next week.

I'm riding the taper roller coaster here. I'm ready to rock and roll at the Wine & Dine and see me some WISHers!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #334
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Happy Friday!

To answer the Question of the week. I don't like winter. I don't even really like fall that much anymore. I try really hard to stay positive about it all, but it is hard. I wheeze if the air is too cold and I swear the cold temps aggravate my itbs....yep, wine, wine, wine. I need some cheese with that wine, oh I mean whine.

Anyhow, how do I manage it. I try to have a race on the calendar so I have something to train for. I schedule out my workouts for the whole month and set an exercise goal. (Shameless plug, I am hosting the exercise challenge this month if anyone wants to join.)

During the week I mostly run on the treadmill, but I am making a huge effort to only do long runs outside. I just can't do anything over 10 miles on the treadmills without wanting to jump off a cliff....(ok, so I am a little dramatic today). So that means dressing warm. I am going to try those heating things you attach to your muscles for the next long run and see if that helps. If the air is cold I wear a face mask to keep the air going into my lungs warm and damp.

What I am really struggling with is carb cravings. I don't know if it is a seasonal thing, a marathon training thing, or something else. I need to get some kind of a handle on it. Right now I am up just a couple of pounds, which my trainer says you can't even see, but we all know how a couple becomes 10, becomes 15, becomes 20....And to be honest I am up over 10 from my lowest, but that was when I was sick and not a very realistic goal.

Anyhow, sorry for the run on thoughts today. I am struggling a little bit, but I know I can get a handle on it. I just need to stick with it.

Hope everyone's training is going well. We will run between 6 and 10 this weekend, depending on how we feel. Then next weekend is the W&D race!!!
Old 11-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #335
disneytink29
Earning My Ears

Rose&Mike - My nephew is a junior! He's a journalism major.

Also, so right about the shoes. Shin splints mean it's time for some real $$$ running shoes!!!!

2 5ks tomorrow!! Hope everyone else has a great weekend run!!
Old 11-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #336
CRUIZEN MAMMA
DIS Veteran

Rose,
my ITBS seems better when the weather is colder- course my idea of cold is under 60- living in Fl. Ran 2 speed works monday and wednesday of 3.1 miles each and did 7 yesterday- I will do an easy 4 tomorrow and 3or 4 on wednesday- planning to head over to Orlando mid morning Saturday.

Lisa -looking forward to meeting you-
Rose looking forfard to seeig you again.

Wishing everyone a great week as we head towards W/D!
4th DCL Cruise-DREAM Jan.15-19,2012-
5K Castaway Cay
Ran My 1st 1/2 marathon!Princess Feb 26, 2012
Wine and Dine 1/2 marathonNov 10,2012
20th Anniversary Disney Marathon Jan 2013:I did it
Disney World 10kand 1/2 marathon 2014 here I come!
Glass Slipper Challenge 2014!!! Girls Only Weekend!
CRUIZEN MAMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #337
pix13dust
DIS Veteran

Hi!

I Just wanted to wish everyone good luck and good times at wine and dine! Can't wait to read all about it when we get back from vacation

Xo
Melinda
pix13dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #338
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneytink29 View Post

2 5ks tomorrow!! Hope everyone else has a great weekend run!!
How were the races?

Melinda--thanks for the good thoughts!

Dottie--can't wait to see you too! I am so glad your running is going so well.

I used my slight pre race jitters to my advantage and we did some serious cleaning around our house yesterday. We even stripped wallpaper in our downstairs powder room.

I think it is going to be a great race, but I hope the temps don't cool off too much more in FL. And I hope whatever storm they are talking about for later this week doesn't impact anyone's travel plans.

Mike and I ran 6 miles Saturday in the cold rain. And it stunk. It was freezing. When we started there was a break in the showers, but started about a mile into it and just rained on and off the next 5 miles. I kept going by telling myself that the weather for the marathon could be like this. I asked myself if there was something I would rather be doing--and decided yes, I would rather be taking a hot shower, but I kept going. I couldn't even play the ipod it was so wet, so I sang (very poorly) some Kanye and Kelly Clarkson--what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Have a good Monday!
Old 11-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #339
princessbride6205
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
I'm sorry about the knee. I think of you every time my itband starts talking to me, which seems to be a lot lately since it has gotten cold. I am trying to figure out if there is a correlation. I know my problems start in my lower back/hips and it has all been so ridiculously tight and seems to never get warmed up with the cold air outside. I am thinking about trying one of those portable heating thingies for muscle soreness on the next long run in the cold. I figure it can't hurt...or at least I can't think of how it could hurt. I hope the dr. visit is helpful.
Kind of nice but also sad that you think of me when your ITBand is acting up! My low back, hip, and knee are all a little off on that side, so it's hard to fix them all! My appointment went well. They did an x-ray and I went for an MRI that evening. I have two small tears in the miniscus, but probably not new. Just aggravated from my longer distances. The options are injection, do nothing, physical therapy, or "scope" (tiny surgery). I will have a follow up appointment next week to discuss options and figure out the plan. But I'm cleared for the Wine & Dine. Both my doctor and her assistant are runners.

Quote:
Nicole--Happy Belated Birthday! Hope that you had a fantastic day!

At a risk of repeating myself (can't remember if I posted this question before) here's a QOTW. I need this as much for myself as anything.

QOTW---brrrr, winter is just around the corner. It's cloudy and gray. The sun is barely making an appearance (at least where I live). Around here it is damp and rainy a lot. How are you handling your workouts/ training with fall in full force and winter just around the corner?
Thanks for the birthday wishes!
I joined a heat yoga studio last week and did my first treadmill workout in a long time! It was really difficult to transition to the treadmill - more so for the walking portions. I cannot walk anywhere near as fast or as comfortably on a treadmill as I can outside. But even at a 16-minute mile walking pace, I never felt great. Running felt okay. If it's above 40 and not raining/snowing/icy, I stay outside. Extreme heat is okay - I just take it slower or change what time. Knowing I need to stick to my race training plans is helping. I've also been meaning to try the aqua jogging class near me, but haven't gotten there yet. Maybe next week for some post-race, no-impact recovery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
Nicole, happy belated birthday!

I freely admit that I am a fair weather runner. So when it is too hot, too wet, too cold, too dark or too anything else I retreat to the indoor running track. Yes, I feel like I am running in circles but I tell myself I am working on my mental toughness. Plus it's handy to all facilities that might be needed.

I'm liking the 10 day forecast for WDW next week.

I'm riding the taper roller coaster here. I'm ready to rock and roll at the Wine & Dine and see me some WISHers!
Thanks for the birthday wishes, Lisa!
The forecast is looking pretty good. I planned to wear capris and a really lightweight long sleeve top. But I went running in that outfit last night (temp here was 45) and I wasn't really cold (except nose and hands). Hmm... Might pack the shorts and a short sleeve top (but I'd have to go shopping for that!).

Quote:
Happy Friday!

To answer the Question of the week. I don't like winter. I don't even really like fall that much anymore. I try really hard to stay positive about it all, but it is hard. I wheeze if the air is too cold and I swear the cold temps aggravate my itbs....yep, wine, wine, wine. I need some cheese with that wine, oh I mean whine.

Anyhow, how do I manage it. I try to have a race on the calendar so I have something to train for. I schedule out my workouts for the whole month and set an exercise goal. (Shameless plug, I am hosting the exercise challenge this month if anyone wants to join.)

During the week I mostly run on the treadmill, but I am making a huge effort to only do long runs outside. I just can't do anything over 10 miles on the treadmills without wanting to jump off a cliff....(ok, so I am a little dramatic today). So that means dressing warm. I am going to try those heating things you attach to your muscles for the next long run and see if that helps. If the air is cold I wear a face mask to keep the air going into my lungs warm and damp.

What I am really struggling with is carb cravings. I don't know if it is a seasonal thing, a marathon training thing, or something else. I need to get some kind of a handle on it. Right now I am up just a couple of pounds, which my trainer says you can't even see, but we all know how a couple becomes 10, becomes 15, becomes 20....And to be honest I am up over 10 from my lowest, but that was when I was sick and not a very realistic goal.

Anyhow, sorry for the run on thoughts today. I am struggling a little bit, but I know I can get a handle on it. I just need to stick with it.

Hope everyone's training is going well. We will run between 6 and 10 this weekend, depending on how we feel. Then next weekend is the W&D race!!!
I'm having carb cravings also - and the scale is showing it. I was rocking the maintenance thing until 2 weeks ago, but now I can't shake the extra 4 pounds.

Quote:
Mike and I ran 6 miles Saturday in the cold rain. And it stunk. It was freezing. When we started there was a break in the showers, but started about a mile into it and just rained on and off the next 5 miles. I kept going by telling myself that the weather for the marathon could be like this. I asked myself if there was something I would rather be doing--and decided yes, I would rather be taking a hot shower, but I kept going. I couldn't even play the ipod it was so wet, so I sang (very poorly) some Kanye and Kelly Clarkson--what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Have a good Monday!
Sorry about that awful weather run! I'm glad you at least tried to think of if you'd rather be doing anything else. I probably would have sung to myself, too.

I did 4 miles at my goal pace for Wine & Dine (13mm), and an extra 0.7 at a decent-for-me pace. Over 5 miles if I include my warm up and cool down, which I was feeling pretty good about until I realized I was supposed to do 6. Oh well! It was a great training run though! Some tunes that came on my playlist really helped me and I occasionally grooved down the street. I need to find my iPod Shuffle and work on my race mix! If this afternoon is slow at work, I may be doing some playlist research! It was a personal moment of pride and a test of my will at last years W&D to go without iPod. Considering I was a bit injured and not even close to the pace I trained for, this made for a mediocre-at-best race experience. I wasn't running with DH or a friend, so it was a slog. It was okay and I felt extra proud of myself for completing a difficult race, but I don't need to repeat that. I'll have one ear bud in and turn it on when I need some tunes.
2013 WDW Marathon * 2013 Dumbo Double Dare / Coast to Coast! * 2013 Wine & Dine
2014 WDW Half * 2014 Glass Slipper * Next up: 2015 Goofy!
princessbride6205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #340
disneytink29
Earning My Ears

My races this weekend were great!! I'm a newbie runner, and still slow, so I was slow, but I had lots of fun, and I'm just going to keep training to get faster!! The Zombie Run had obstacles and zombies - even though it was a 5k, I ended up running 3.5 miles with all of the dodging I had to do!! (There was a HUGE field filled with the "zombies", and myself and the friend I ran with took the long way to try to avoid more zombies, which contributed greatly to my extra mileage...) My time on that one was pretty bad - 53 minutes - mostly b/c I took a 60 second penalty to get another "life flag" and I walked on a part of the course that had loose gravel - all I could think was that I was going to get seriously injured on that gravel!!! I did finish with 1 life flag, so I wasn't eaten by zombies!!!!!!

The other race was done with a bunch of my co-workers in memory of one of our bosses who passed away from lung cancer last year. The tone there was a lot more somber, but appropriately so.

It was an exhausting day, but fun (and very active!).

Good luck to everyone in the Wine & Dine this weekend!!
Old 11-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #341
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

How is everyone? I am having a major flareup of my back/hip/glute issues. It stresses me out a bit with the race on Saturday, but mostly I am more stressed out about flying. Something about sitting still and not moving that makes it worse. I have no idea what caused it to be so bad right now. It started Monday and has just been getting worse and none of my usual ways of dealing with it are helping.

Hope everyone is having a good week.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #342
CRUIZEN MAMMA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
How is everyone? I am having a major flareup of my back/hip/glute issues. It stresses me out a bit with the race on Saturday, but mostly I am more stressed out about flying. Something about sitting still and not moving that makes it worse. I have no idea what caused it to be so bad right now. It started Monday and has just been getting worse and none of my usual ways of dealing with it are helping.

Oh Rose hoping it works itself out by race time- call me crazy- but I am running 3 races in 12 day time span- The W/D 1/2 on Saturday, 1 week later the St. Augustine 10k on Nov 17 and the the YMCA Turkey Trot 5k on the 22nd if that doesn't help me in training for the Full in January nothing will!

Rose and Lisa and anyone else heading to the W/d -wishing you all safe travels!
4th DCL Cruise-DREAM Jan.15-19,2012-
5K Castaway Cay
Ran My 1st 1/2 marathon!Princess Feb 26, 2012
Wine and Dine 1/2 marathonNov 10,2012
20th Anniversary Disney Marathon Jan 2013:I did it
Disney World 10kand 1/2 marathon 2014 here I come!
Glass Slipper Challenge 2014!!! Girls Only Weekend!
CRUIZEN MAMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #343
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Thanks, Dottie! Safe travels to you, too. And to Rose, Nicole and Melinda! See you ladies soon.

I hope this zen feeling I have about this race stays with me so I can enjoy myself.
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #344
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I hope this zen feeling I have about this race stays with me so I can enjoy myself.
I'm glad you are feeling good about it. I have said this a million times, but I really love this race. It's tiring and it's hard, but I think running at night, especially through the parks is so cool. And the weather looks like it's going to be great!

Thanks Dottie. You do have a bunch of races coming up!

I took ibuprofen and my back is feeling a little better. I won't take it when I run, but hopefully by Saturday I won't need it.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #345
princessbride6205
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Oh no! Have you tried a chiropractor? I haven't gone to mine in months since they are out of network with our new insurance. But my low back has been angry for almost a week, so I went today. It seems to have helped - or at least taken the edge off. My other favorite is legs up a wall with a folded towel under the pelvic bones - that just relaxes, won't actually work out the soreness. I don't know if it's something about tapering, by last year my IT knee pain got worse even on the days I wasn't running as we got closer to the race.

Quote:
Thanks, Dottie! Safe travels to you, too. And to Rose, Nicole and Melinda! See you ladies soon.

Woohoo!
I'm feeling pretty good about this week, too. I'm going to run/walk tonight and that's my last official training session before the half. I'll be doing some park walking on Friday and a little Saturday, plus keeping up with some basic PT and strength training stuff in the meantime. Despite my previous negative experiences with the quality of KT tape, I bought another roll and will try it for my knee this week. I had tried an old knee brace last weekend for some stability, but it was too shifty when I tested it on my 5 miler.
I am hoping to do a good chunk of my packing and make my race music mix tonight!
In 48 hours I will be in New Fantasyland!
2013 WDW Marathon * 2013 Dumbo Double Dare / Coast to Coast! * 2013 Wine & Dine
2014 WDW Half * 2014 Glass Slipper * Next up: 2015 Goofy!
princessbride6205 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: