Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #271
pix13dust
DIS Veteran
 
pix13dust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 583

Hi Ladies ( my inspirations )

So, I'm feeling whiny .
I've been exercising since March ( Zumba ) gave up the Zumba in August to start running. I am definitely progressing in my fitness but it's not fast enough, is it ever?

I'm sore today - I've been sore everyday since March, I'm tired of being sore. I'm going to check out a yoga place on Saturday in hopes that yoga will help me be " less sore ". I've taken a few days off here and there but I'm afraid to take off too many. I'm afraid it would put a dent in my motivation.

Then the icing on my muffin top, I haven't lost any weight in 2 weeks! I lose weight SLOWLY but I usually loose 1/2 pound every week or two. Maybe I'm building big muscles under my layer of fat?!

Even my normally positive attitude has gotten a bit snarky. I was out exercising with the kids on Tuesday and at the end of my week 2 day 2 C25k work out, 3 people passed on bikes. I said just loud enough for the kids to hear " cheaters" . The kids laughed, it was a not nice comment - but it made me smile on the inside

Anyhow, I just wanted to thank you for all your personal stories and updates, it really does keep me motivated! . I look forward to them, so keep them coming!!

I've marked 10/1 on my calendar as the day I want to start some cross training- hope I won't be too sore - I just signed up for the Dirty Girl run next September. It has really added to my desire to add some strength to this old body. Plus who doesn't like to be called a " dirty girl " at my age.

So as I say to the kids when we start loosing steam " what's next coach?"

Thanks for all the encouragement
Melinda

Whining is over now, you can go back to your day.
pix13dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #272
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser
 
lisah0711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Inland NW
Posts: 5,416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
QOTW--Do you--run without stopping or use run/walk intervals? What are your thoughts/experiences?
I do intervals. I use very short intervals though. For my race on Sunday I am using 15 seconds/45 seconds. For me the short intervals let me maintain my pace throughout the run instead of gradually getting slower and slower. YMMV.

Rose, I would be happy to do a QOTW some time but maybe in October and November since I just finished coaching the BL thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
As to what should you call yourself--an athlete.
Excellent point!

Good luck to Amanda this week-end on her Warrior 8K!

And an extra special shout-out to Maria who is doing back to back half marathons! You so totally rock!

Thanks for the good wishes for my race on Sunday. My goal is to have a great time and finish in less than 4 hours -- yes, I am a slow runner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseBoundnKY View Post
I finally committed and went to our local run/walk shop and got professional advice for shoes. Ended up with a pair of Brooks. Love them so far.
I wear Brooks, too. I really like them. Mine are the Ariel.

Hi Dottie! Nice to see you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbride6205 View Post
AFM, I'm wearing my one pair of compression socks today (love them for recovery) and browsing Running Warehouse for some calf sleeves to possibly wear during runs.
I trained with sleeves but I ended up cutting them off in the med tent at mile 7 during the Tinker Bell because they were way too hot in CA. That is the problem with training in Idaho in winter vs. racing at DL. I do love the sleeves for recovery.

Hope you are feeling better today, pix13dust! Hang in there!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #273
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,229

Good Luck to everyone racing this weekend!
Boston 13.1 (September 16)--Maria
Sandpoint Idaho Scenic Half (September 16)--LisaH
Wounded Worrier Project 8K (September 16)--Amanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbride6205 View Post

I think I need to get back into yoga. Over the summer I dove back into strength training with an at-home routine I love (from "Train Like a Mother" the book). But I think I need to incorporate more yoga for injury prevention. I Googled "yoga for runners" last night. I did a few poses and stretches, but need to add more to my repertoire. I have two yoga DVDs, but don't love them. I'm not sure I could commit to a class, as much as I'd like to!
I need to get in a training run/walk tonight - hope the rain stays away!
I know what you mean about those DHs and their running abilities. Mike just goes and goes and goes. But really I am glad he has not had to deal with what I have had to deal with. I have been going to a piyo class twice a week since I think April or May and I think it has really, really helped. I won't say I enjoy it, but it has been good for me. I have a lot of lower back discomfort which seems to preclude an itbs flareup so I am really working hard to keep it under control. Pigeon pose is great and I also really like moving cat and crossed leg forward fold.


Melinda--Do you have built in days off? Days that you write down and say "this is my day off?" I am sore a lot. But sore, not uncomfortable. I understand not wanting to take off but I know from experience sometimes you just need a planned rest. Hang in there. It really is worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
I do intervals. I use very short intervals though. For my race on Sunday I am using 15 seconds/45 seconds. For me the short intervals let me maintain my pace throughout the run instead of gradually getting slower and slower. YMMV.

Rose, I would be happy to do a QOTW some time but maybe in October and November since I just finished coaching the BL thread.
Thanks Lisa! I hope you have a great race on Sunday!

We have been playing a bunch with intervals for the marathon. I think for the full I am leaning towards run 3 walk 1. It worked really well for the 14 we ran last weekend and slowed me down a bit in a weird way. I think when my interval is shorter I tend to go to fast. We'll see.


*****
So can't remember if I mentioned this, but I have started working with a personal trainer at the Y. It's pretty reasonably priced and they break hour sessions into 2 half hours. It's a splurge for me--I tend to not like to spend a ton on myself, but I am really liking this. She has me doing exercises that I would have never tried on my own. And she is pointing out posture issues, when I need to adjust my form, etc. I kept getting injured in my classes and she is really working with me to have the strength training supplement my running.

And the cool thing--today she told me I am stronger than I think I am and that I am already able to do stuff that it takes a lot of folks weeks to get. It made me feel great! Though, phew it was HARD today. I am going to feel it in the morning for sure!

I hope everyone gets in some good training this weekend!
__________________
Rose&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #274
myweegirls
Caught the Disney Bug from my husband and am now hooked in my own right!
 
myweegirls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 641

Hi all!

Got my last long training run in before the ToT 10m tonight. 11 miles on the Galloway plan - I can't quite believe I did it, but I did it! 11 miles in 2:04, and I stuck to my 4/1 ratio throughout the whole 11. It was hard - really hard - but I just let my music carry me through it. I'm comforted knowing the Disney course will be flatter than my course here!

I have a toenail issue - as it it's all white and separating (ick). I got refitted for my Brooks Adrenalines at the running store I go to most often (not the one where I bought my first ones), and they strongly suggested going up another half size. I ran in those tonight, and they felt great, but I think it might be too late for this toenail. I'm hoping I can still get a pedi before the ToT trip, but I don't want to risk it getting worse. Anyone have any experience with this?

And now, time to sleep...big mommy/daughter day tomorrow with DDalmost8, as we hit the American Girl store for the first time for her birthday. Help me...

XO
Liz
__________________
Anna, 9 ~ Tessa, 7 ~ married to DEA since 2003 ~ joined DVC in 2013!

ABD ~ 2013 (Backstage Magic) * AKL ~ 2010 * AKV ~ 2012, 2013, 2014 * Aulani ~ 2014 * BLT ~ 2011 * BC ~ 2010, 2014 * BWI ~ 2010, 2012 * BWV ~ 2011 * DCL ~ 2012 (Dream/PC 3.0 & Fantasy/PC 4.0), 2013 (Dream), 2014 (Dream), 2015 (Wonder) * DL Offsite ~ 2013 * GC ~ 2011, 2014 * GF ~ 2011 * Poly ~ 2009, 2010 * POFQ ~ 2010 * Royal Caribbean ~ 2013 (Oasis/DIS Cruise 1.0) * WL ~ 2013

myweegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #275
myweegirls
Caught the Disney Bug from my husband and am now hooked in my own right!
 
myweegirls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 641

Ooh, and Rose! I have a 5K to add: the Race to Rid SIDS, October 13th. Running in support of the friend of a friend who lost her infant son to SIDS - just an unimaginable grief for me. I'm happy to support the foundation.

XO
Liz
__________________
Anna, 9 ~ Tessa, 7 ~ married to DEA since 2003 ~ joined DVC in 2013!

ABD ~ 2013 (Backstage Magic) * AKL ~ 2010 * AKV ~ 2012, 2013, 2014 * Aulani ~ 2014 * BLT ~ 2011 * BC ~ 2010, 2014 * BWI ~ 2010, 2012 * BWV ~ 2011 * DCL ~ 2012 (Dream/PC 3.0 & Fantasy/PC 4.0), 2013 (Dream), 2014 (Dream), 2015 (Wonder) * DL Offsite ~ 2013 * GC ~ 2011, 2014 * GF ~ 2011 * Poly ~ 2009, 2010 * POFQ ~ 2010 * Royal Caribbean ~ 2013 (Oasis/DIS Cruise 1.0) * WL ~ 2013

myweegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #276
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,229

Congratulations Liz! Are the steps bothering you going up or going down? You sound like you are ready for the TOT, now you just need to rest those legs. As for the toenails, I know in theory with properly fitted shoes it should be a non-issue, but I have lost a couple. Not to be gross, but when they are done they usually just pop off. Usually at an inopportune time... Like work.... I will say be careful with the pedicure right before the race. Some calluses serve a purpose when running at least, and you don't want to take a chance of developing a hot spot. I have also made the mistake of cutting nails too short right before a race and regretted it. I will add in your race.

****
I ran 6 miles today without walk breaks in 63 minutes. This might have been my longest run this year without walk breaks, so that's cool. I felt really strong. The area we run is pretty hilly, so it was nice to have such a strong run before my 5k next weekend, where I am hoping for a pr. I had been feeling very unsure of myself when it comes to speed, so this was a nice pick me up.

I hope everyone has a great Saturday. I will be back tomorrow with a question of the week.

---And I know a bunch of people are reading along, cause our views count keeps going up. Pop in and say hi so I don't feel like I am talking to myself.
__________________
Rose&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #277
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,229

QOTW--How do you get yourself out the door to workout when you just really don't want to?
__________________
Rose&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #278
Dreamer2012
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 470

I do my walk each morning @5am and believe me there have been ALOT of days when I didNOT want to get up and go...on those days I have made a "deal" with myself. I HAVE to get up and get my sneakers on - then I can decide to go or not...so far I have always gone out the door. The next "deal" is since I am already out the door on a morning I doNOT want to, ANYTHING I do is considered AMAZING and deserves a "reward". The reward system is: Half the distance = dessert @ lunch! If I complete the entire walk as planned then I "reward" myself with not having to make dinner that night! I either assign it to one of the 5 others in my house that day or we go out.... Kinda crazy I know - but it works for me. Once I get out the door I usually end up doing the whole walk - (only once did I shorten it to half...but since I still went it was a victory in my book!). Great question...I'm interested to read what everyone else does!
Dreamer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #279
myweegirls
Caught the Disney Bug from my husband and am now hooked in my own right!
 
myweegirls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
Congratulations Liz! Are the steps bothering you going up or going down? You sound like you are ready for the TOT, now you just need to rest those legs. As for the toenails, I know in theory with properly fitted shoes it should be a non-issue, but I have lost a couple. Not to be gross, but when they are done they usually just pop off. Usually at an inopportune time... Like work.... I will say be careful with the pedicure right before the race. Some calluses serve a purpose when running at least, and you don't want to take a chance of developing a hot spot. I have also made the mistake of cutting nails too short right before a race and regretted it. I will add in your race.
The legs were sore both up and down the next day, but then they seemed pretty much fun - just some echoes of a long run. I went out for a 30-min run this morning and definitely felt a little creaky but still got a 5K done in just over 30. A couple of minutes off my top pace, but I'm happy to still be moving after 11 on Friday night!

I'm working around weather this week for my short runs - can't believe there are only 4 left before ToT!!

A second toenail has an issue, but I think it predates the new shoes - both appear to be related to blisters under the nail. Ugh, and sorry if that grosses anyone out. I'm currently wrapping them in band-aids to prevent catching them on anything, but I'm not doing much else with them. That's a great point about the pedi, and I think I might wait until after the race - a treat! (I do have a massage scheduled for Sunday afternoon - aaaahhhh...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
QOTW--How do you get yourself out the door to workout when you just really don't want to?
I find that having a training program really, really helps. Whether it's work or personal, I feel compelled to stay on schedules I've set for myself. Right now, I have built in schedules for ToT and the WDW 1/2, but before that I did a C25K app and found I felt tied to that schedule, too, even though it wasn't aiming at anything specific.

Next question - and nowhere near as gross as the toenail issue! Does anyone have any experience with compression sleeves? I've heard they can help with shin and calf soreness. I don't have either in terrible quantities, but I do have issues with both. I'm just not sure how these work, or if they're a good idea for me. ??

XO
Liz
__________________
Anna, 9 ~ Tessa, 7 ~ married to DEA since 2003 ~ joined DVC in 2013!

ABD ~ 2013 (Backstage Magic) * AKL ~ 2010 * AKV ~ 2012, 2013, 2014 * Aulani ~ 2014 * BLT ~ 2011 * BC ~ 2010, 2014 * BWI ~ 2010, 2012 * BWV ~ 2011 * DCL ~ 2012 (Dream/PC 3.0 & Fantasy/PC 4.0), 2013 (Dream), 2014 (Dream), 2015 (Wonder) * DL Offsite ~ 2013 * GC ~ 2011, 2014 * GF ~ 2011 * Poly ~ 2009, 2010 * POFQ ~ 2010 * Royal Caribbean ~ 2013 (Oasis/DIS Cruise 1.0) * WL ~ 2013

myweegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #280
princessbride6205
DIS Veteran
 
princessbride6205's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,972

Quote:
Originally Posted by myweegirls View Post
Hi all!

Got my last long training run in before the ToT 10m tonight. 11 miles on the Galloway plan - I can't quite believe I did it, but I did it! 11 miles in 2:04, and I stuck to my 4/1 ratio throughout the whole 11. It was hard - really hard - but I just let my music carry me through it. I'm comforted knowing the Disney course will be flatter than my course here!

I have a toenail issue - as it it's all white and separating (ick). I got refitted for my Brooks Adrenalines at the running store I go to most often (not the one where I bought my first ones), and they strongly suggested going up another half size. I ran in those tonight, and they felt great, but I think it might be too late for this toenail. I'm hoping I can still get a pedi before the ToT trip, but I don't want to risk it getting worse. Anyone have any experience with this?

And now, time to sleep...big mommy/daughter day tomorrow with DDalmost8, as we hit the American Girl store for the first time for her birthday. Help me...

XO
Liz
Liz - congrats on your 11 mile run! You are definitely ready for the ToT! I agree to wait until after for the pedicure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
I ran 6 miles today without walk breaks in 63 minutes. This might have been my longest run this year without walk breaks, so that's cool. I felt really strong. The area we run is pretty hilly, so it was nice to have such a strong run before my 5k next weekend, where I am hoping for a pr. I had been feeling very unsure of myself when it comes to speed, so this was a nice pick me up.

---And I know a bunch of people are reading along, cause our views count keeps going up. Pop in and say hi so I don't feel like I am talking to myself.
Congrats on those 6 miles - it makes such a difference to have an awesome run! Glad you're feeling strong and fast this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myweegirls View Post
Next question - and nowhere near as gross as the toenail issue! Does anyone have any experience with compression sleeves? I've heard they can help with shin and calf soreness. I don't have either in terrible quantities, but I do have issues with both. I'm just not sure how these work, or if they're a good idea for me. ??

XO
Liz
I got a pair of compression socks back in April. I only have one but I kind of love them. So far I only wear them for recovery. But I just ordered a pair of the calf compression sleeves that I hope to wear during some cool fall long runs. I had never had calf or shin issues - not as a former gymnast, dancer, and not as a run/walker. But when I transitioned to mostly walking early this year, I started to get some shin stuff. There isn't really a downside to compression gear if you want to try them. For me, they aid in recovery and soreness, but I don't think they actually make me faster or anything like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
QOTW--How do you get yourself out the door to workout when you just really don't want to?
A training plan is the key for me. Checking off a workout on a personal plan is helpful, but the strongest motivator for me is a big race. I know I need to put in the miles of training to prepare.

I had a great 4 miler on Sunday. I worked on my race walking form and speed, as well as some short running segments. I'm hopeful that I can get close to that overall pace at the Wine & Dine. I also did tons of stretching after my runs on Friday and Sunday.

Rose - I'd love to hear more about your favorite poses for low back and ITB stuff!
__________________
Nicole DH DD(6)
If there's a trip, there's a race!
2010 Princess Half * 2011 Wine & Dine Half * 2012 Wine & Dine Half
2013 WDW Marathon * 2013 Dumbo Double Dare / Coast to Coast! * 2013 Wine & Dine
2014 WDW Half * 2014 Glass Slipper * Next up: 2015 Goofy!
princessbride6205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:35 AM   #281
Carstairs38
Earning My Ears
 
Carstairs38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 52

I hope it's okay to jump into the thread at this point in the year. I did just join the boards after all.

Name: Mark
DisName: Carstairs38
Upcoming Races: Survivor Mud Run (9/22), Stand up to Cancer 10K (9/30), That Dam Mud Run (10/13)
Completed Races in 2012 (or earlier): I've done 9 races so far this year (including the Disneyland half). I can give them to you if you want.
Favorite Race: Mud runs in general. That's what got my into running in the first place. The Camp Pendleton Mud Run is a fun one.
Anything else you want to share (age, where you live, etc): I'm 37 and live in Southern California (hence the Disneyland races)
And for fun, favorite running shoe: Asics, whatever their cheap ones of the moment are usually work for me.
__________________
Mark
Check out my reviews books, movies, and more. Lots of Disney and TV recaps, too. http://carstairsconsiders.blogspot.com/
Carstairs38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #282
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
QOTW--How do you get yourself out the door to workout when you just really don't want to?
I start by making a plan for the week--in writing. I track my minutes which helps to push me a little when I am feeling like a slacker. If I have a scheduled exercise I try to stick with trying for at least 5 minutes and then if I am miserable I can stop--which rarely happens. And if all else fails I remind myself how unhappy I was when I couldn't exercise because of injuries. I remind myself of all the other Wishers who have worked so hard. And I remind myself how great I feel when I am done. As someone who has lost a chunk of weight, I feel like I got in a habit of giving myself too many "I am a failure, so of course I will fail at this" messages. So I try very hard to set myself up for success. Having said that, just a reminder it really is perfectly ok and healthy to schedule in days off and even cut back weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2012 View Post
I do my walk each morning @5am and believe me there have been ALOT of days when I didNOT want to get up and go...on those days I have made a "deal" with myself. I HAVE to get up and get my sneakers on - then I can decide to go or not...so far I have always gone out the door. The next "deal" is since I am already out the door on a morning I doNOT want to, ANYTHING I do is considered AMAZING and deserves a "reward". The reward system is: Half the distance = dessert @ lunch! If I complete the entire walk as planned then I "reward" myself with not having to make dinner that night! I either assign it to one of the 5 others in my house that day or we go out.... Kinda crazy I know - but it works for me. Once I get out the door I usually end up doing the whole walk - (only once did I shorten it to half...but since I still went it was a victory in my book!). Great question...I'm interested to read what everyone else does!
I think you have a system that works. I think what we can get from all this is that every body has days when they have to drag themselves out the door, and that is perfectly normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myweegirls View Post



I find that having a training program really, really helps. Whether it's work or personal, I feel compelled to stay on schedules I've set for myself. Right now, I have built in schedules for ToT and the WDW 1/2, but before that I did a C25K app and found I felt tied to that schedule, too, even though it wasn't aiming at anything specific.

Next question - and nowhere near as gross as the toenail issue! Does anyone have any experience with compression sleeves? I've heard they can help with shin and calf soreness. I don't have either in terrible quantities, but I do have issues with both. I'm just not sure how these work, or if they're a good idea for me. ??

XO
Liz
I am a schedule person too. I do so much better when I have a plan. I have not used compression sleeves, but occasionally after long runs I will elevate my legs for 10 minutes or so and it seems to help a bit. I don't know if it is one of those myth things that really doesn't help, but in my mind, my legs have felt better when I have tried it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbride6205 View Post


A training plan is the key for me. Checking off a workout on a personal plan is helpful, but the strongest motivator for me is a big race. I know I need to put in the miles of training to prepare.

I had a great 4 miler on Sunday. I worked on my race walking form and speed, as well as some short running segments. I'm hopeful that I can get close to that overall pace at the Wine & Dine. I also did tons of stretching after my runs on Friday and Sunday.

Rose - I'd love to hear more about your favorite poses for low back and ITB stuff!
A race is a big motivator for me too.


Here is a nice blog about the pigeon pose:
http://www.lululemon.com/community/b...f-pigeon-pose/
I have never captured my foot, but I do fold forward. Depending on how you fold it stretches different areas.

Child's pose and moving cat are very basic yoga poses. I googled and tons of stuff came up. If my back is very tight I will do these before even trying anything else.

I also somtimes just stand beside a table or bed, bend at the waist and stretch to one side of the other to feel a pull in my back, kind of like a half fold.

My yoga instructor loves the frog pose--which is great for opening up your hips.

Like most stretches, being warmed up often makes things easier.

ETA**Interestingly I just read an article that said stretching leads to injuries and how terrible it is for you, but I will probably stick with it for now, cause I feel better than I have in a while.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Carstairs38 View Post
I hope it's okay to jump into the thread at this point in the year. I did just join the boards after all.

Name: Mark
DisName: Carstairs38
Upcoming Races: Survivor Mud Run (9/22), Stand up to Cancer 10K (9/30), That Dam Mud Run (10/13)
Completed Races in 2012 (or earlier): I've done 9 races so far this year (including the Disneyland half). I can give them to you if you want.
Favorite Race: Mud runs in general. That's what got my into running in the first place. The Camp Pendleton Mud Run is a fun one.
Anything else you want to share (age, where you live, etc): I'm 37 and live in Southern California (hence the Disneyland races)
And for fun, favorite running shoe: Asics, whatever their cheap ones of the moment are usually work for me.
Welcome Mark! We lived in San Diego in the late 80s/early 90s. It's so beautiful out there. My husband was stationed at 32nd Street, but we knew some folks at Camp Pendleton. I would love to do a mud run but I am terrified of a new injury. I think one more sprain and my right ankle will be done. Congrats on the Disneyland half!

***
So I met with my trainer today. Holy crudtastic! I did the elliptical first and then met with her. I won't be there Friday so we crammed a bunch of stuff in today. My muscles were shaking by the end, but I am feeling so good about it. I have been struggling with food this week so it is good to feel good about something.

I am kind of bummed about the reports that are coming out about rice and arsenic. I don't eat a ton of convenience gluten free food, but I do occasionally have bread and pasta and a lot of times they have rice in them. I hope this is an over reaction by the media and that the danger is not as big a deal as they are making it out to be.

Have a great Wednesday!
__________________

Last edited by Rose&Mike; 09-19-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Rose&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #283
princessbride6205
DIS Veteran
 
princessbride6205's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
Here is a nice blog about the pigeon pose:
http://www.lululemon.com/community/b...f-pigeon-pose/
I have never captured my foot, but I do fold forward. Depending on how you fold it stretches different areas.

Child's pose and moving cat are very basic yoga poses. I googled and tons of stuff came up. If my back is very tight I will do these before even trying anything else.

I also somtimes just stand beside a table or bed, bend at the waist and stretch to one side of the other to feel a pull in my back, kind of like a half fold.

My yoga instructor loves the frog pose--which is great for opening up your hips.

Like most stretches, being warmed up often makes things easier.

ETA**Interestingly I just read an article that said stretching leads to injuries and how terrible it is for you, but I will probably stick with it for now, cause I feel better than I have in a while.

***
So I met with my trainer today. Holy crudtastic! I did the elliptical first and then met with her. I won't be there Friday so we crammed a bunch of stuff in today. My muscles were shaking by the end, but I am feeling so good about it. I have been struggling with food this week so it is good to feel good about something.

I am kind of bummed about the reports that are coming out about rice and arsenic. I don't eat a ton of convenience gluten free food, but I do occasionally have bread and pasta and a lot of times they have rice in them. I hope this is an over reaction by the media and that the danger is not as big a deal as they are making it out to be.

Have a great Wednesday!
I think we just read the same article about how stretching is bad for you!

Thanks for posting info on pigeon pose - I do like that stretch, but didn't know the name. I am familiar with cat and child's pose, so I will add those to the list.

How strange about the rice! I hadn't heard that.

Glad you enjoyed your session with the trainer - sounds intense!

******
The Stick came in the mail yesterday! It feels like it worked well on my quad/IT band. It is a little awkward to get at the spot on my calf that bugs me. I also ordered some arnica gel - I've used it in the past inconsistently. For anyone not familiar, it is a homeopathic ingredient you rub on your sore or injured areas. I'm not sure how effective it is, but it was mentioned in my running book from England. I'm kind of pulling out all the stops for the marathon - if I need to carry a magic feather like Dumbo, I will. I will try anything that might prevent injuries and get me to the finish line!

I had a great strength workout last night. I have added the tree pose, which is really great for my stability - thanks for suggesting that one, Rose. But I need a substitute for the lunges and step ups I'm supposed to be doing - my knees just don't tolerate them. Any suggestions, anyone? I just did a Google search and came up with side lunges and some form modifications that make the lunge a little easier.
__________________
Nicole DH DD(6)
If there's a trip, there's a race!
2010 Princess Half * 2011 Wine & Dine Half * 2012 Wine & Dine Half
2013 WDW Marathon * 2013 Dumbo Double Dare / Coast to Coast! * 2013 Wine & Dine
2014 WDW Half * 2014 Glass Slipper * Next up: 2015 Goofy!
princessbride6205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #284
tiki23
Able to leap a double stroller in a single *splat*
A hot glue gun was my best friend
 
tiki23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Des Moines WA
Posts: 2,883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
ETA**Interestingly I just read an article that said stretching leads to injuries and how terrible it is for you, but I will probably stick with it for now, cause I feel better than I have in a while.
Micro tears in the muscle?

I'm Disney bound! We leave for the airport in about 6 hours.

So excited for our trip and running the HH5K in my Goofy costume.

Good luck on your upcoming races Liz, Kaiti, Mark and Jen!

I hope you all have a great week! I'll be checking in on the 2nd about the race and the Villain's Bash.
__________________
1st Trip! 11/06 POP~ Christmas Time W/Mom 12/07 POP~ Just Me DL 3/08~ Mom-Son 8/08 POP~Fam & Friends 10/08 DLR~Reunion 9/09 ASMU~Sisters! 9/10 POFQ~ 3/11 w/DD's choir ASMu~ 5/12 EE Challenge w/Sis POP ~w/DH 9/12 AoA~ ToT Run/Reunion 10/13 POP! ~ ASP w/Sis Princess Wknd 2/14 DLand Half Marathon 8/14 11/14 Avenger Half Marathon
tiki23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #285
CRUIZEN MAMMA
DIS Veteran
 
CRUIZEN MAMMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 815

Just checking in-
Rose, my next race will be the Land Bridge Trail Run 5 miler, October 20th- Jake and I are running this one together Cooler weather here in FL was a welcomed surprise the last two days and I felt the urge to get out and ran 4 1/2 miles last night. Only 6 weeks till the W/D and I'm so excited! Good luck to all those doing the TOT this weekend I will be in St. Augustine cheering my hubby on as he rides the MS 150 for the 2nd year.
__________________
1st Cruise-WONDER Nov.18-21,07
2nd DCL trip-MAGIC June 6-13,097Night Eastern
3rd DCL trip-WONDER Nov.21-23,2010
4th DCL Cruise-DREAM Jan.15-19,2012-
5K Castaway Cay
Ran My 1st 1/2 marathon!Princess Feb 26, 2012
Wine and Dine 1/2 marathonNov 10,2012
20th Anniversary Disney Marathon Jan 2013:I did it
Disney World 10kand 1/2 marathon 2014 here I come!
Glass Slipper Challenge 2014!!! Girls Only Weekend!
CRUIZEN MAMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.