Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #256
disneymom2one
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.

Thanks for the recipe! That is exactly what I was looking for!

---living in paradise and vacationing with the Mouse

--- DVC members - OKW

disneymom2one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #257
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Congratulations to Nancy and Lindsay on their races this morning!

QOTW--Do you--run without stopping or use run/walk intervals? What are your thoughts/experiences?
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #258
tiki23
Able to leap a double stroller in a single *splat*
A hot glue gun was my best friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post

QOTW--Do you--run without stopping or use run/walk intervals? What are your thoughts/experiences?
Woohoo! I hope you had a fun time and did well!
1st Trip! 11/06 POP~ Christmas Time W/Mom 12/07 POP~ Just Me DL 3/08~ Mom-Son 8/08 POP~Fam & Friends 10/08 DLR~Reunion 9/09 ASMU~Sisters! 9/10 POFQ~ 3/11 w/DD's choir ASMu~ 5/12 EE Challenge w/Sis POP ~w/DH 9/12 AoA~ ToT Run/Reunion 10/13 POP! ~ ASP w/Sis Princess Wknd 2/14 DLand Half Marathon 8/14 11/14 Avenger Half Marathon
tiki23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #259
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Here's my story. It's long, but there is a point, I promise.

I have been running off and on since 1987 when I was in college. Some year's more seriously. Some years not at all. I usually stopped when I got shinsplints--around 3-4 mile long distance. I always 100% believed if you weren't running the entire way that it didn't count. Period.

We moved here in 1994 and ever since then I wanted to run the local 1/2 marathon. Again ran and off for years, got injured, got burned out, gained weight, lost weight, gained weight. Quit. Over and over and never ran the local 1/2. Every April when the race came around I felt like a failure.

In 2008 I lost about 30 pounds, was walking a lot, in good shape, thought about running again and started feeling bad. Tired, lethargic. Started having hip problems and achilles problems. Just didn't feel well. This was probably malnutrition from my gluten problems kicking in. The diet and exercise were taxing my body and it was starting to show. I quit again and gained most of the weight back.

In 2009 my only child went to college and I went back to work. I was tired, over weight, out of shape, having some pretty good brain fog and just feeling pretty lousy about myself.

In Dec I joined the Y and in Jan 2010 I joined the BL thread. I lost weight pretty steadily and was working out a lot. In April my DH ran the local 1/2 and again I felt like a loser. He convinced me to start running again with the idea of doing the inaugural W&D. Honestly I did it to humour him. I figured I would quit eventually. I always did.

About the same time I had to go see a cardiologist about an irregular heartbeat. I had to wear a monitor and have an echo. It was a very frequent irregular heartbeat, but my heart was healthy, so I was cleared to exercise and continue losing weight.

My DH went to USNA. He was of the thought--you run. You don't do this run/walk thing. And so was I. My first half marathon in Sept of 2010 I ran the entire thing. I didn't walk a step. Mike stopped to use the porta-pottie and I kept running. I was so proud of myself. And so stubborn.

And I was slowly getting sicker. My irregular heartbeat was becoming more frequent. I was getting sick after long runs. I had terrible brain fog. My hair was falling out. I had a host of other issues which I won't bore you with.

I ran the W&D, but by then we were starting to look at walk breaks. I was so tired at the end of long runs/races, that we were starting to try things just to make it easier. We walked a minute at the end of each mile. I was so sick at the end I didn't eat or drink anything at the party.

All through the winter I kept feeling yucky. I finally went to my doctor in January. I couldn't even explain to her what was wrong. I had to type out my symptoms. I stopped eating gluten in February, but unfortunately, I had a long road back at that point.

I ran the Princess in Feb of 11. Run 5 walk 1 (I think). It was my fastest race (and still is). After that race I spent the rest of 11 and the beginning of 12 injured. Really I already had some of the problems during the Princess, but I apparently have a high pain threshold.

In April of 11 I had to decide if I was going to skip the local 1/2 or just do it and take whatever time I got. I was in a lot of pain from a nasty case of itbs and my foot was pretty messed up. I ran/walked it. I can't remember what interval I used. It was very emotional. I shouldn't have run it. It was not the best decision. And I could not have done it without walking some. My time was almost 30 minutes slower than the Princess which I had just run 2 months earlier.

It took a long time for me to really feel like I was "better". I don't realize how bad I felt before I stopped eating gluten.

IF I would have stuck with the idea of "real runners only run" I would have probably had to give up running. I have worked very hard to get back to where I can comfortably run 5 miles without a walk break. I don't know that I will ever run a 1/2 again without a walk break.

I am faster with walk breaks. They give my body the recovery time it needs. The reality--I am not 20 years old. Or even 30. I am in my 40s. I have limitations that I need to work within. Walk breaks help me keep my injuries in check. Hopefully this year, for the first time I will actually be able to enjoy the W&D party.

I think it is awesome if someone wants to run without stopping for walk breaks. It is a great feeling. I love my short runs where I just run without thinking about it. I think run/walk intervals enable me to try things I don't know if I could do otherwise. They got me back to running faster when I was sick than if I would have just run full out.

I think whatever you choose you should be open to trying other things if something doesn't seem to be working. And also remember--what works for you or me might not work for someone else. Everyone is hopefully working to the best of their ability.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #260
tiki23

Quote:
Here's my story. It's long, but there is a point, I promise.
I think whatever you choose you should be open to trying other things if something doesn't seem to be working. And also remember--what works for you or me might not work for someone else. Everyone is hopefully working to the best of their ability.
Rose - you are amazing. Thanks for sharing and for offering your help and experiences!
1st Trip! 11/06 POP~ Christmas Time W/Mom 12/07 POP~ Just Me DL 3/08~ Mom-Son 8/08 POP~Fam & Friends 10/08 DLR~Reunion 9/09 ASMU~Sisters! 9/10 POFQ~ 3/11 w/DD's choir ASMu~ 5/12 EE Challenge w/Sis POP ~w/DH 9/12 AoA~ ToT Run/Reunion 10/13 POP! ~ ASP w/Sis Princess Wknd 2/14 DLand Half Marathon 8/14 11/14 Avenger Half Marathon
Old 09-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #261
DorkyDisneyMom
I will have to look tomorrow to see if my neighbors posted about me
I just don't like to do it by myself

Thanks Rose for sharing your thoughts and experience. It has given me a lot to think about.

I've never been a runner ever. Trying to get into it. I really like it but my shins and legs are having none of it. I've been doing walk/run at 1 minute intervals. Even at one minute I'm in some serious pain.

So I'm going to try biking. I like the cardio part of running. I'm not a fast enough walker to feel like I'm working hard. I think the bike will help with that. I plan on still using the Easy 5K app and pedaling faster and slower. Fingers crossed it works and it's easier on my legs.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #262
acename
DIS Veteran

Rose, what a great story! You're awesome.

I've only been running for about 6 weeks, so for right now, I'm running with walking breaks. I finally got to the point in c25k where I'm running more than walking, out of 29 minutes I ran 15 which included the warm up and cool down.

I finally signed up for my first 5k. I found one that's in between the two I was looking at. It's October 27th so I have time to improve by then. My goal is to walk as little as possible. We'll see. Even if I have to walk more than I want to, I'm doing better than the people who didn't sign up!
acename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #263
tiki23

Quote:
Originally Posted by acename View Post
Even if I have to walk more than I want to, I'm doing better than the people who didn't sign up!
And your passing everyone who stayed on the couch!
Old 09-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #264
princessbride6205
DIS Veteran

Name: Nicole
DisName: princessbride6205
Upcoming Races: Wine & Dine Half, WDW Marathon
Completed Races in 2012 (or earlier): 2011 Wine & Dine Half, 2010 Princess Half and Challenge Obesity 5k
Favorite Race: Princess 2010 - so much fun, my first big race, total runner's high and Disney magic rolled into one!
Anything else you want to share (age, where you live, etc): I'm 30 (until October 29th) and live in MN with my DH and DD. Born and raised in NJ though and still visit family out there multiple times a year.
And for fun, favorite running shoe: Asics Cumulus

Hi all! I've rejoined the BL this fall as a maintainer and wanted to join this thread as well. I am really focused on finishing my first full marathon in January, and I think the support and the information here is going to be a great help. Slow day at work - so I actually went back and read all the pages of this thread!

Since I'm just joining I'm going to roll some more "About Me" stuff into this QOTW...
I use walk/run intervals. I started the C25k in the summer of 2009. I kept going and eventually was running a little more than 4 miles straight through. I decided kind of late in the game to train for the Princess Half 2010 and knew I'd need to switch to run/walk to be ready in time. Intervals worked great for me. That experience was kind of golden, because ever since, my injury prone self has taken over. I have hip, ITB and knee issues (not sure how much to blame on being a ballet dancer and also having knee surgery at 13). In 2011 I did months of physical therapy, manual therapy (i.e. torture) and foam roller. 2011 Wine & Dine was really challenging - my knee would give out during any running intervals after the first 5 miles. I did tons more walking and had a slower finish than any of my training runs. I will say though, that the accomplishment of completing the Wine & Dine was almost bigger than my first race. Because while my first 13.1 mile race was a big deal, it was super fun the entire time. The Wine & Dine was proof that while really having to slog, I could persevere and finish. I wasn't in pain while walking, so at least we were able to enjoy the after party and the rest of our vacation in the parks. But I did take a break from running for about 3 months after that.

So now I'm doing a lot more walking. I'm pretty happy with my walking pace and I throw in a few short running intervals. I've been training since the beginning of 2012 so that I'd be ready for whatever races I wanted to do this year. The summer race I wanted didn't end up working out, so I just kept doing short runs until the marathon plan started. With my ratio of a lot more walking - about 30sec run/4:30 walk - I've had two injury free long runs (8.5 and 9.25 miles) in the past few weeks. Those are the longest training runs that I've ever felt good about. On my short runs I try to do really short Galloway intervals like 20sec run/40sec walk. Sort of my speed work.

Now that my split is so heavily walking, I don't know what to call myself anymore. A runner, a race walker, a walker...?
2013 WDW Marathon * 2013 Dumbo Double Dare / Coast to Coast! * 2013 Wine & Dine
2014 WDW Half * 2014 Glass Slipper * Next up: 2015 Goofy!
princessbride6205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #265
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Dottie--you out there? I hope the new job is going well. I have been thinking about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyDisneyMom View Post
I've never been a runner ever. Trying to get into it. I really like it but my shins and legs are having none of it. I've been doing walk/run at 1 minute intervals. Even at one minute I'm in some serious pain.

So I'm going to try biking. I like the cardio part of running. I'm not a fast enough walker to feel like I'm working hard. I think the bike will help with that. I plan on still using the Easy 5K app and pedaling faster and slower. Fingers crossed it works and it's easier on my legs.
I hope the biking works for you until you get some fitted shoes! You definitely don't want to irritate those shins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acename View Post

I finally signed up for my first 5k. I found one that's in between the two I was looking at. It's October 27th so I have time to improve by then. My goal is to walk as little as possible. We'll see. Even if I have to walk more than I want to, I'm doing better than the people who didn't sign up!
Congrats on signing up for your race!

Hi Nicole! So nice to see you! Is your DH doing W&D too? I can't believe you read the whole thread! Thank you for sharing your story. We both spent way too much time last year injured, and I am so glad that something is finally going right for you. Another story of sheer perseverance, and a reminder to everyone that the path may not be the same for everyone, but that everyone can work hard and achieve their goals.

As to what should you call yourself--an athlete.

AFM, I recovered pretty well from the 14 miles on Saturday. Slowing down was definitely the right choice! I am a slacker today though and skipped my workout. Our 9yo dog is having some issues and crying a lot at night. Last night we all got very little sleep. Not good. Hopefully tonight will be better.

We have a couple of people running this weekend. I hope everyone is getting excited about their races!
Boston 13.1 (September 16)--Maria
Sandpoint Idaho Scenic Half (September 16)--LisaH
Wounded Worrier Project 8K (September 16)--Amanda
Old 09-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #266
CruiseBoundnKY
DIS Veteran

I finally committed and went to our local run/walk shop and got professional advice for shoes. Ended up with a pair of Brooks. Love them so far.

I competed in my first 2K last weekend and this weekend I'm doing one that u can choose 1 mile or 5K on Saturday and on Sunday a 2 mile family fun walk. My kids are dying to get into action too.

The more active I'm getting, the less I'm feeling like eating. Is this normal?

Karen
Pop Century March 31 - April 7, 2012 Disney Dream Nov. 27 - Dec. 2; AKV Dec. 2 - 5 Dec. 5 - 8, 2010 Pop Century Nov. 28, - Dec. 6, 2009 Pop Century October 25, 2008 Disney Magic "Halloween on the High Seas" Alternate Western Double Dip May 5-12 2007 Disney Magic "Cinco Dis Mayo" Western Cruise May 2-4 2007 Disney ASMo May 2005 7-Days Sheraton Vistana Resorts Summer 1996 5-Days Can't remember where we stayed
CruiseBoundnKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #267
DorkyDisneyMom
I will have to look tomorrow to see if my neighbors posted about me
I just don't like to do it by myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseBoundnKY
I finally committed and went to our local run/walk shop and got professional advice for shoes. Ended up with a pair of Brooks. Love them so far.

I competed in my first 2K last weekend and this weekend I'm doing one that u can choose 1 mile or 5K on Saturday and on Sunday a 2 mile family fun walk. My kids are dying to get into action too.

Karen
My husband wears Brooks he loves them! Glad you are liking yours as well.

As far as the eating goes for me I feel the same way. I've started stopping and thinking about why I am eating. I'm an emotional eater. So I eat when bored, stressed, mad, depressed, happy etc; I find that getting active has helped me more with my emotions. I always tell everyone it's good for my brain.

I also eat a little less just because I don't want to undo all the hard work I've done. If I'm taking the time to be active I don't want to sabotage all my work by eating too much.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #268
CRUIZEN MAMMA
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=Rose&Mike;46126797]Dottie--you out there? I hope the new job is going well. I have been thinking about you.

I'm here Rose! I've been following along but haven't really been able to post except here and there on FB.
New job going well, MIL has put her home on the market and we are looking for a Condo for her close to us.
My running is going well- still having issues of just not getting my short runs during the week in- have decided that if it means a 4:30 am wake up call 2 days a week so that I can get the runs in before work so be it- with Jake's TKD and the days getting shorter already after work just hasn't been an option- even my WOW bike rides have suffered a little- but the weather is cooperating here in Fl and I'm determined to get out and enjoy this brief cool front with a ride tonight. Have set my sights on a 5 mile trail run in Oct and am debating between the St. Augustine 10k( ran it last yr) or going for the St. Aug 1/2 which is just 1 week after the W/D. Hubby is going to do the Donald 1/2 -since we will be there from Friday night till Monday- this will be his first 1/2 -as I've said before he is more into biking but runs every Saturday with me and is starting to keep up.

to the Lisas, Kathy, Nancy, Maria & all the newbies that have joined this thread- these ladies have been great

I will try to post more often.

Dottie
4th DCL Cruise-DREAM Jan.15-19,2012-
5K Castaway Cay
Ran My 1st 1/2 marathon!Princess Feb 26, 2012
Wine and Dine 1/2 marathonNov 10,2012
20th Anniversary Disney Marathon Jan 2013:I did it
Disney World 10kand 1/2 marathon 2014 here I come!
Glass Slipper Challenge 2014!!! Girls Only Weekend!
CRUIZEN MAMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #269
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Dottie--glad you are doing well. Let us what race you decide on so we can cheer for you!

**As for the hunger issues. I think this is pretty common when you increase your cardio--just speaking from personal experience. I think that this is when tracking is really important so that you can see how many calories are going in vs. going out. I also think you need to be very realistic about how many calories you are burning when exercising. You do not want to over count your exercise and eat back those calories.

One of the things we like to say (this is from Maria )--Hunger is not an emergency. Take a little time to track if you are hungry and make a plan for healthy foods to snack on if you need them. Another thing that works well is to plan a protein snack for after your workout. It's a twofer--your body gets the protein it needs to rebuild after working out and you push out those hunger pangs which may have you reaching for the junk food.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #270
princessbride6205
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi Nicole! So nice to see you! Is your DH doing W&D too? I can't believe you read the whole thread! Thank you for sharing your story. We both spent way too much time last year injured, and I am so glad that something is finally going right for you. Another story of sheer perseverance, and a reminder to everyone that the path may not be the same for everyone, but that everyone can work hard and achieve their goals.

As to what should you call yourself--an athlete.
Thanks.
Yes, DH is doing W&D again AND will be Goofy in January. It's taken me a long time to [mostly] get over my envy of his running abilities.

Quote:
AFM, I recovered pretty well from the 14 miles on Saturday. Slowing down was definitely the right choice! I am a slacker today though and skipped my workout. Our 9yo dog is having some issues and crying a lot at night. Last night we all got very little sleep. Not good. Hopefully tonight will be better.

We have a couple of people running this weekend. I hope everyone is getting excited about their races!
Boston 13.1 (September 16)--Maria
Sandpoint Idaho Scenic Half (September 16)--LisaH
Wounded Worrier Project 8K (September 16)--Amanda
I'm glad recovery went well after your long run. Sorry to hear about your dog - hope you all get more sleep tonight!

Good luck to everyone in their races this weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseBoundnKY View Post

Karen
Hi Karen - hunger is a funny this, isn't it? Something about exercising often prompts me to make healthier food choices, so I'm sure what you're experiencing is normal. But sometimes my brain works the other way and I feel like I "deserve" more to eat for exercising.

Dottie - That's my mom's name. I hear you on the difficulty of weekday evening runs! That is my preferred time as well. But as you said, with the days getting shorter and child activities, it's difficult to get out there. I've found some well-lit sidewalks a few blocks from my street, so I've been over there if it's really dark.

AFM, I'm wearing my one pair of compression socks today (love them for recovery) and browsing Running Warehouse for some calf sleeves to possibly wear during runs.
I think I need to get back into yoga. Over the summer I dove back into strength training with an at-home routine I love (from "Train Like a Mother" the book). But I think I need to incorporate more yoga for injury prevention. I Googled "yoga for runners" last night. I did a few poses and stretches, but need to add more to my repertoire. I have two yoga DVDs, but don't love them. I'm not sure I could commit to a class, as much as I'd like to!
I need to get in a training run/walk tonight - hope the rain stays away!
2013 WDW Marathon * 2013 Dumbo Double Dare / Coast to Coast! * 2013 Wine & Dine
2014 WDW Half * 2014 Glass Slipper * Next up: 2015 Goofy!
princessbride6205 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: