facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #151
JacksLilWench
Bloody Pirates...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
Question:

When you do your long runs/walks are you starving the rest of the day?? I have completely blown my calories for the day because I can't stop grazing! Even with 8 glasses of water already down.

OMG, this is ridiculous. One step forward and 2 steps back.
I will not throw in the towel, I will NOT throw in the towel!!!
I do!! I only did a "short" run today (three miles) and I wanted to eat everything in sight today! I did get some really good tips though, from a runner at work. She said to eat protein the nights before your short runs (the 30 min intervals) and then carb up the the night before your long runs on Saturday. Then she suggested keeping Sports Beans on you during your run so you don't exhaust everything your body has to get to the end of the track. I'm really gonna try this strategy out next weekend- I have a six-mile run to complete

I feel like I've been away from this thread for so long! Hope everyone is doing well on their running and/or training. Especially in all this heat!
Old 07-02-2012, 06:46 AM   #152
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Did my first long run today. Well 3 miles isn't exactly long but it's an official long run. It wasn't easy, the humidity was horrible!! I missed 3 running intervals, one to get water from my car, the second because of a pack of dogs and an owner on the course, and the last because I was just to tired! I was slow, 3 miles in 50 minutes but I expected that since it was so humid.

Hopefully the rest of the week will be better.
Great job Buffy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post

I found this mud run I am going to do
http://www.godirtygirl.com/

Dirty Girl all women mud run. The obstacles look totally do-able for me. Now I just need to find a running buddy!

When you get a chance you an add that for me for December.
Got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki23 View Post

Oh, PT and MT both told me to try different items besides foam roller such as a rolling pin, tennis ball and golf ball. MT told me I should try a golf ball under my hamstring while driving - I haven't tried that yet, it sounds a little uncomfortable!

Good luck with your house!

~Alice
Thanks!
I use a golf ball on my plantar-fasciitis and a tennis ball for my back and hips and sometimes my itband. It works wonders on my back. I keep one at work for when my back is hurting (put it behind me in my seat) and always have one in the car when we are traveling. A trainer at the Y suggested something that I haven't tried yet--she said to tape two together and then you can get right on either side of your spine better....not sure about that one, but I love how it feels everywhere else. Kind of one of those hurts so good things.

Quote:
Question:

When you do your long runs/walks are you starving the rest of the day?? I have completely blown my calories for the day because I can't stop grazing! Even with 8 glasses of water already down.

OMG, this is ridiculous. One step forward and 2 steps back.
I will not throw in the towel, I will NOT throw in the towel!!!
Try protein as soon as you get home. A lot of people drink milk. I have a spoon of peanut butter. I usually only notice for distances of 6 miles or more now, but when I do, yes it is exactly like that--I want to eat all day. Really focus on what you are eating. No empty calories. It will get better.

Don't look at it as 2 steps back. Look at it as part of the process of learning how to be a long distance runner. It really is a very rewarding (though sometimes hard and frustrating) journey.

Have a good Monday everyone!
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #153
::Snow_White::
Harry Potter =
They're not as unpredictable as house elves like Dobby!

[QUOTE=lisah0711;45340891]
Kayla, I'm glad that you had a great time at the Color Run. It looks like a ton of fun! But what I really want to know is -- are you still colorful today? /QUOTE]

Just a little!

We went shopping afterwards so we scrubbed at hard as possible at the race and then stopped in a Target bathroom and pretty much took a bath in the sink for about 30 minutes.

However, a nice shower and some good scrubbing and you should do fine.

I still had a bit of color left in the parting of my hair that is gonna take a few days and a bit on my back that I couldn't scrub very well, but the rest came out within the first day.

First Disneyland Trip: November 2014!
'99--ASMo // '02--ASMo // '07--Pop // '10--POFQ & Pop
'12--CBR // '12--AOA & Pop // '13--POR & CSR // '13 AOA, POP, & BC
Fall 2013 Merchandise Disney College Program Cast Member!
::Snow_White:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #154
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksLilWench View Post
I do!! I only did a "short" run today (three miles) and I wanted to eat everything in sight today! I did get some really good tips though, from a runner at work. She said to eat protein the nights before your short runs (the 30 min intervals) and then carb up the the night before your long runs on Saturday. Then she suggested keeping Sports Beans on you during your run so you don't exhaust everything your body has to get to the end of the track. I'm really gonna try this strategy out next weekend- I have a six-mile run to complete

I feel like I've been away from this thread for so long! Hope everyone is doing well on their running and/or training. Especially in all this heat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
Great job Buffy!

Try protein as soon as you get home. A lot of people drink milk. I have a spoon of peanut butter. I usually only notice for distances of 6 miles or more now, but when I do, yes it is exactly like that--I want to eat all day. Really focus on what you are eating. No empty calories. It will get better.

Don't look at it as 2 steps back. Look at it as part of the process of learning how to be a long distance runner. It really is a very rewarding (though sometimes hard and frustrating) journey.

Have a good Monday everyone!
Thanks!! I'm kind of still in the same boat today but I'm trying to not eat for the sake of eating.

OK, protein on Monday and wednesday, carb on Friday. Protein on Saturday or Sunday after my run. I can do that.
And I'll probably throw some sports beans in the car.

This Saturday is a 4 mile run so I'm going a little farther that I ever have before.

I also don't think DH is going to have the time to train for the full this year, he just started a new position in the company and he is just buried in work. So, it looks like I'm on my own for the 1/2 instead. We will aim for the 25th anniversary for the full. But this also gives me a little wiggle room in training if the up-age in mileage doesn't go well. The more I run the less confident I feel in completing the full but I totally thing the 1/2 is doable.

*note to self, get a spybelt next payday. I really need this!

Oh and DS and I found a new trail today. He didn't like it but I loved it. It's part of the old airline trail route which spurs off of the rails to trails route.
Lots of bugs though, so I need to make sure I have plenty of bug spray.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #155
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Ok, now I can say it.

Good luck tomorrow Dottie! Have a great race!
Old 07-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #156
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Quote:
Question: When you do your long runs/walks are you starving the rest of the day?? I have completely blown my calories for the day because I can't stop grazing! Even with 8 glasses of water already down.
It is an adjustment but as Rose said it will get easier. Jeff Galloway recommends carbs and protein within 30 minutes of a run. I have to run on a totally empty stomach so I feel your pain!

Quote:
So, it looks like I'm on my own for the 1/2 instead. We will aim for the 25th anniversary for the full. But this also gives me a little wiggle room in training if the up-age in mileage doesn't go well. The more I run the less confident I feel in completing the full but I totally thing the 1/2 is doable.

*note to self, get a spybelt next payday. I really need this!

Oh and DS and I found a new trail today. He didn't like it but I loved it. It's part of the old airline trail route which spurs off of the rails to trails route.
Lots of bugs though, so I need to make sure I have plenty of bug spray.
It's not lonely at a Disney race, Buffy, there will be a few thousand other folks running the 1/2 with you!

And you do know that sooner or later you will ingest a bug -- it's a rite of passage for runners. Hopefully the bugs are not too juicy in Blink.

Quote:
Ok, now I can say it.

And good luck to you, too, Rose as well as Lisa and Dottie! You go girls!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:46 PM   #157
BernardandMissBianca
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

LOL Lisa!!! the bugs think we are juicy!! Not sure what they are, DS said the looked like a ladybug but they bite!!
Him and DS11 have little welts all over them.

EWW!!!!

OK, so it's official DH is not allowed to run at all. He saw the ortho today (2 torn disks from a car accident in 2007). Absolutely no running so I have to make some decisions. Go, don't go. Run, don't run. 1/2 or full.

I don't know, I'm kind of deflated tonight.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #158
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Quote:
LOL Lisa!!! the bugs think we are juicy!! Not sure what they are, DS said the looked like a ladybug but they bite!!
Him and DS11 have little welts all over them.

EWW!!!!

OK, so it's official DH is not allowed to run at all. He saw the ortho today (2 torn disks from a car accident in 2007). Absolutely no running so I have to make some decisions. Go, don't go. Run, don't run. 1/2 or full.

I don't know, I'm kind of deflated tonight.
Those bugs in Blink sound nasty -- poor guys!

So sorry to hear about your DH and his back. What did the doctor say about walking? There are lots of folks who are fast walkers and do it JohnVN is one who comes to mind and Panda Dave. It's a tough decision.

What do you WANT to do?
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #159
CRUIZEN MAMMA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok, now I can say it.

Thanks Rose! Will be thinking of you during your 10k-ROCK IT!

Under 1 hr YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
4th DCL Cruise-DREAM Jan.15-19,2012-
5K Castaway Cay
Ran My 1st 1/2 marathon!Princess Feb 26, 2012
Wine and Dine 1/2 marathonNov 10,2012
20th Anniversary Disney Marathon Jan 2013:I did it
Disney World 10kand 1/2 marathon 2014 here I come!
Glass Slipper Challenge 2014!!! Girls Only Weekend!
CRUIZEN MAMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #160
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Good morning! Hope everyone had a good week.

You all were making me smile with the bug comments. I personally hate it when I get one up my nose. Ick!

Congratulations to Dottie and LisaR on good races on July 4th.

Is there anyone doing a race this weekend?

Here is my mini race report.

This is the third year we have run this race. I looked it up and last year the temp was ~70 for the entire race and it was overcast. Perfect for a summer race. This year it was ~70 at 7am, ~75 at 8am, and ~80 by 9am. The race started at 7:30.

I came home from work Tuesday with a headache, so we stayed home out of the heat. I wasn't too stressed about this race. We laid out our clothes but weren't compulsive like normal. We got up at 5am and were on the road by 5:30. It's about a 75 minute drive. I actually slept which is unusual because I usually sleep terrible the night before a race so that was good.

I woke up with the same headache, but by the time we got to Lexington it was gone. I was too nervous to take ibuprofen before running in the heat.

The race started at 7:30am. They played "call to the post" but we couldn't hear it very well. It was pretty crowded for about the first mile. There are lots of turns until about mile 2 and then it is essentially an out and back. We skipped the second walk break cause it was so crowded. Probably a bad idea, but it was wall to wall people running at about a 9:30 per minute pace with no where to stop. We were running 5 minutes walking 45 sec.

We had water and gatorade with us so we didn't have to stop at the water breaks. Miles 2.5-4.5 are gradual inclines. Around mile 4.5 I was pooped and had to throw in another walk break. I seriously considered just walking the rest of the way. I felt like I was getting overheated. So we walked for about 2 minutes (which included the next break) and I was good to go again. There were lots of misters set up along this stretch, which was nice. There was a little bit of shade, but there wasn't a cloud in the sky so it was warming up.
I ran hard to finish, but already knew I wouldn't have a pr, so did not push too terribly hard. I have never seen so many puke puddles at the end of a race before. You had to work really hard to dodge them.

Last year I finished at 1:01: 34 (78 out of 179 for my division). I was hoping to be under an hour this year since last year I was fighting itbs. But it just wasn't meant to be. I finished at 1:03:13 which was 82/182.

I was disappointed and happy. The reality is, it was warm and I have been fighting headaches all week. If we would have had the temps we had last year, I think I would have been very close to 1 hour. I was happy, because I had many moments where I wanted to quit. But I cut myself some slack, threw in an extra break and finished strong. We hung out for a bit after the race and listened to some music before driving home. By the time we were home I had another headache. The heat/pollution/etc are really bothering me.

Overall, I am really pleased with this race. It was a decent time, and I felt really good the next day. I really felt like for once I was running my own race and wasn't too worried about the people around me. I do think if the temps were more favorable we would have finished under an hour, but that's the way it goes. I definitely did not want to be one of those people who were throwing up at the end, so I am happy with my level of effort.

I did notice that I really have to pay attention to my form during races with the new shoes. But I am hoping that with more miles, it will become second nature and it will become a non-issue.

Thanks for reading.

Have a great Friday!
Old 07-10-2012, 12:33 AM   #161
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Hey everyone! Great job on the 10K Rose! I have my 8K in September and I am hoping for an hour.
I ran twice while on vacation in Houston.
My first run on Thursday was great and DH came with me. Saturday was not to good. I was not eating as well as I should have and it showed! I had to stop at 30 minutes and I had planed to run for 40.
I went to run today and my foot was really bothering me so I just walked. I went 4 miles though. I will try again Wednesday. I have a 5K Saturday so I don't want to push it too much and hurt myself. I found the official time from my 5K a few weeks ago. 39:02 so that is my time to bet on Saturday!
Old 07-10-2012, 06:27 AM   #162
BernardandMissBianca
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

I have completely fallen off the run/walk wagon and this week isn't looking any more promising. DH left for DC today so I need to get everyone up at 5, leave at 5:30 and drop DS16 off for 6. Then I have to be back at school to get DS16 and drop DS11 off for camp.
I'm typing as I eat. Not good!!!

Maybe I will have DS16 help me unbury the treadmill, maybe I can get something in. Right now though, all I want to do is take a nap.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #163
myweegirls
Caught the Disney Bug from my husband and am now hooked in my own right!

Hi everyone,

We're back! My running plans for our vacation were derailed along with our cruise, unfortunately, but I did maintain my weight, mostly. I had planned to do the CC 5K on the cruise, twice...ended up walking about 2 miles on the first CC stop. That was the day DH was flown off to Nassau, and that walk was my morning break from the medical center. Oy. Our hotel was in downtown Nassau, so outdoor running wasn't feasible. The hotel had a fitness center, but we were so busy back and forth to the hospital and keeping the kids entertained that I never got there.

When we got to AKL on Friday, I decided I'd get something going. Then the sore throat started...fortunately, that appears to only have been a voice strain from doing so much talking over the previous days (doctors, home, DH's boss...). So Monday morning I ran back and forth between Jambo House and Kidani Village. I went 3 miles, my time was relatively lousy, but I got out there!

We drove home Friday and Saturday and arrived to 100+ temps. The heat broke yesterday, and I went out last night - much better with the sun setting and 80-degree temps! 3.53 miles at a 10:46 pace (10 min walking, 28 min jogging). That was my C25K week 8/day 1. When I finish this training app, I think I'm going to move to the Galloway 10-miler plan - the Tower of Terror run suddenly seems a lot closer than it did before we went away...

XO
Liz

ABD ~ 2013 (Backstage Magic) * AKL ~ 2010 * AKV ~ 2012, 2013, 2014 * Aulani ~ 2014 * BLT ~ 2011 * BC ~ 2010, 2014 * BWI ~ 2010, 2012 * BWV ~ 2011 * DCL ~ 2012 (Dream/PC 3.0 & Fantasy/PC 4.0), 2013 (Dream), 2014 (Dream), 2015 (Wonder) * DL Offsite ~ 2013 * GC ~ 2011, 2014 * GF ~ 2011 * Poly ~ 2009, 2010 * POFQ ~ 2010 * Royal Caribbean ~ 2013 (Oasis/DIS Cruise 1.0) * WL ~ 2013

myweegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #164
liesel
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone!

I was battling illness for the last month. A cold turned into a chest cough. I finally went to the doctor and got antibiotics and feel so much better. I didn't run the whole month, I was feeling too cruddy. As soon as I felt better, I started running again. One run later, it was time for my fourth of July four miler. I decided to give it a shot anyway, and ended up with a PR!

It was a hot day and I am not adjusted to running in the heat. I kept a decent pace the first 3 miles and then bonked. I wasn't surprised, it had been so long since I had run. It was the first time I had done it in a race, though, so it was a new experience for me. I typically hold back and am used to having a good kick at the end. But it wasn't there. I took it easy on the last mile and still finished almost 3 minutes faster than last year (no chip time, just gun time so its hard to have an exact time). I kept just over a 14mm pace, which I felt was as good as I could do considering the heat and lack of training. Its good to know that I still maintained some fitness and am still making progress. I am going to smash that PR next time, though!

So I went ahead and registered for the Tink in Januray to keep my legacy status. As of yesterday, its 92% full if anyone out there is considering this race. I highly recommend it, it was a fantastic race and a good first half marathon for me. I am happy to be able to register for this race, it is much easier for me to afford, especially since we are moving to norcal soon. I am very bummed about missing marathon weekend. I was so looking forward to seeing everyone and attending the massive WISH meet. I will have to follow along here and I can't wait to hear all about it. I hope in the future marathon weekend and the Tink will occasionally be 2 weeks apart instead of one so it will be easier for me to attend. If anyone wants to get their C2C at DL in September 2013, I will be there!

I'd love to do the W&D, but have to wait until our moving plans are settled before I know if I can afford it. I know its 86% full and have resigned myself to the fact it may sell out before I know if I can register. My DH wants to do this race too and is already talking about saving for next year if we can't make it this year.

I hope everyone out there is surviving the heat. I saw Princess registration opened today, is anyone considering this race? There are lots of experienced Princesses on this thread if anyone has any questions.

DLR: many times as a local 1984-1995, June 2009, December 2009, June 2010, October 2010 (day trip), October 2011, January 2012 Tinker Bell Half Marathon, July/August 2012, August/September 2012, January 2013 Tinker Bell Half Marathon, March 2013, Dumbo Double Dare August/September 2013, Tinker Bell Half Marathon January 2014

WDW: 1980, September 2008, February 2014 Princess Half Marathon-first coast to coast

Upcoming DLR trips: August 2014 Dumbo Double Dare 2: Liesel Strikes Back and first 10K with my DS, November 2014 Avengers Half Marathon (because I have a problem saying no to inaugural events), January 2015 Star Wars Half Marathon (see Avengers), May 2015 Tinker Bell Half Marathon and birthday trip

liesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #165
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Happy Birthday to Lisah!
I know I am posting a day early, but didn't want to forget! I hope you have a great day!

Liz--I am glad you made it home safe and sound! You all had quite the adventure. Hopefully everyone in your house will stay healthy. I commend you for trying to keep up with the exercise/healthy eating while on your trip!

Amanda--Is your race this weekend? I hope your foot cooperates.

Buffy--I hope you can find that treadmill!

LisaR-- Congrats on the PR! I'm sorry you bonked. Sometimes I think we all need some downtime--though downtime through illness is not fun! Congrats on registering for the Tink! I will probably do Princess again--especially after last year's craptastic trip. It has to be better, right? I'm not quite ready to commit yet. I am still hoping you can make W&D.

AFM, I decided to shake things up a bit. I have changed up my exercise schedule and added in some doubles. I just have a lot going on in my brain right now and need the distraction/stress relief. So far it seems to be working.

Here's the schedule I started last Thursday. Though to be honest, I skipped Monday's workout. I was tired!

M--piyo
T--run am/ cardioblast pm (this class is brutal and I was sweatier than after my 4 mile run!)
W--zumba and piyo
R--run am/ cardioblast pm (the second one I will play be ear and see how I feel)
F--zumba
S--long run
Sun--off

Hope everyone is doing well!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: