Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #136
CRUIZEN MAMMA
DIS Veteran

Rose,

thanks for the good wishes, my race is next Wednesday on July 4th. The Freedom Run 4 miler. As for heat- being in Fl it is a big concern. This race may be pretty brutal but we run through Historic down town which is well shaded and every year a local neighbor stands on his lawn and sprays a gentle mist at the runners if they want it. I havent been getting in my weekly runs as regular as i'd like due to the heat- have hit the treadmill for a couple of them.
4th DCL Cruise-DREAM Jan.15-19,2012-
5K Castaway Cay
Ran My 1st 1/2 marathon!Princess Feb 26, 2012
Wine and Dine 1/2 marathonNov 10,2012
20th Anniversary Disney Marathon Jan 2013:I did it
Disney World 10kand 1/2 marathon 2014 here I come!
Glass Slipper Challenge 2014!!! Girls Only Weekend!
CRUIZEN MAMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #137
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
I have off on Fridays, so I went to zumba today. I am still tripping over my own feet, and I often can't do the arms and legs at the same time, but I always leave there smiling. I just love the instructor. She is so---lovely. Just kind and welcoming and so very fit.

Here's my schedule--tomorrow 4 miles, Sunday off, Monday yoga, Tuesday off, Wednesday race!

--Dottie--good luck on your race. I think it is this weekend too!

ttyl.
I love Zumba! I know what you mean with the arms and legs. I went yesterday and there were a few parts where I was pretty much just bobbing up and down or shuffling my feet back and forth!

We had a break in the heat so I went outside and ran about 30 minutes then walked about 35. We had a bit of cloud cover that dropped the temps about 10 degrees so that was much appreciated.
Register to remove

Old 06-30-2012, 05:37 AM   #138
tiki23
Able to leap a double stroller in a single *splat*
A hot glue gun was my best friend

Thanks so much for the tips and kind words, Buffy, Lisa and Rose!

My leg IS getting better, yahoo! The it band is still tight, and my glute from the fall, but the hamstring area is much looser and held up well to the bike, some elliptical, and walking. I had a PT appointment, a water rehab class and a massage session this week and things are looking up!

I had hoped to run a race on July 4th, but I'm going to set my sights on The Seafair Torchlight Run on July 28th. You can dress up like a pirate. I hope I don't get a cramp in me peg!
1st Trip! 11/06 POP~ Christmas Time W/Mom 12/07 POP~ Just Me DL 3/08~ Mom-Son 8/08 POP~Fam & Friends 10/08 DLR~Reunion 9/09 ASMU~Sisters! 9/10 POFQ~ 3/11 w/DD's choir ASMu~ 5/12 EE Challenge w/Sis POP ~w/DH 9/12 AoA~ ToT Run/Reunion 10/13 POP! ~ ASP w/Sis Princess Wknd 2/14 DLand Half Marathon 8/14 11/14 Avenger Half Marathon
tiki23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #139
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Kayla--I hope you are having fun at the Color Run!

Last edited by Rose&Mike; 06-30-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Rose&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #140
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Go, Kayla, go! Have a great time at the COLOR RUN today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki23 View Post
I hope I don't get a cramp in me peg!

I'm glad you are feeling better!

I am using you people for my inspiration to get outside this morning and do my 10 mile run.
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #141
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good but not to expensive pedometer?
Old 06-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #142
::Snow_White::
Harry Potter =
They're not as unpredictable as house elves like Dobby!

Hey everyone, we're back!! Thanks for the well-wishes, my friend and I had a great time. We hit the road at 4AM with my family this morning to drive to KC and got to the event around 6:15. We were in the second wave to go through so we started about 7:50. There was approximately 30,000 runners there and apparently the biggest turnout so far.

We walked most of the time, my friend isn't trained enough to run very far and the crowds were mostly walkers. Plus each time we came upon a color we stopped and had them hit us with as much as possible. We went through about 4 different color areas but the after-race festival was the best. Basically everyone gathered in a large group, they played music, everyone danced and every 15 minutes they had the color cloud where everyone threw up the colors they got at the beginning of the race. That's where you really got hit.

Here are a couple photos:

Pre-race, waiting at the start. There were thousands more behind us, we were pretty early luckily.

On the course at the blue.

Finish, festival area.

A photo of the color cloud my mom took while we were actually in the festival area.

Sorry for the size, my photobucket isn't cooperating.

Overall I say that everyone should do it at least once. It's a unique experience and very family friendly.

First Disneyland Trip: November 2014!
'99--ASMo // '02--ASMo // '07--Pop // '10--POFQ & Pop
'12--CBR // '12--AOA & Pop // '13--POR & CSR // '13 AOA, POP, & BC
Fall 2013 Merchandise Disney College Program Cast Member!
::Snow_White:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #143
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

That is soooo cool Kayla!!! I want to do one!

I found out there was one here in CT but I didn't know about it until the day of the race. Maybe next year.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #144
BernardandMissBianca
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Oh I found another one in Amesbury Mass!! Hmmmmm, wonder if I should do it. it's next month.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #145
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good but not to expensive pedometer?
Amanda, I like my Omron pedometer. It fits in your pocket and doesn't give false readings like other pedometers I've tried. There are lots to choose from on Amazon.com -- mine is so old they don't make it any more but the HJ112 is very similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::Snow_White:: View Post
Hey everyone, we're back!! Thanks for the well-wishes, my friend and I had a great time.

Overall I say that everyone should do it at least once. It's a unique experience and very family friendly.
Kayla, I'm glad that you had a great time at the Color Run. It looks like a ton of fun! But what I really want to know is -- are you still colorful today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
Oh I found another one in Amesbury Mass!! Hmmmmm, wonder if I should do it. it's next month.
I think you should, Buffy, I think the kids would have a great time doing it with you, too.
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #146
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711;45340891
[B
Kayla,[/B] I'm glad that you had a great time at the Color Run. It looks like a ton of fun! But what I really want to know is -- are you still colorful today?
Didn't someone else say it took forever to get the color off? I read that it is cornstarch. I thought about doing one when they come here (this month I think) but the color staining would drive me batty, and I would have to ask them if they know if the cornstarch is g-f. Uggh. If I ingested even a little of it with gluten it would be unfun and I'm not sure it wouldn't bother my skin. Sometimes being g-f stinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::Snow_White:: View Post
Hey everyone, we're back!! Thanks for the well-wishes, my friend and I had a great time. We hit the road at 4AM with my family this morning to drive to KC and got to the event around 6:15. We were in the second wave to go through so we started about 7:50. There was approximately 30,000 runners there and apparently the biggest turnout so far.

We walked most of the time, my friend isn't trained enough to run very far and the crowds were mostly walkers. Plus each time we came upon a color we stopped and had them hit us with as much as possible. We went through about 4 different color areas but the after-race festival was the best. Basically everyone gathered in a large group, they played music, everyone danced and every 15 minutes they had the color cloud where everyone threw up the colors they got at the beginning of the race. That's where you really got hit.
I'm glad you had a good time! It really does look like a lot of fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post

I am using you people for my inspiration to get outside this morning and do my 10 mile run.
So how was the 10 miles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki23 View Post
Thanks so much for the tips and kind words, Buffy, Lisa and Rose!

My leg IS getting better, yahoo! The it band is still tight, and my glute from the fall, but the hamstring area is much looser and held up well to the bike, some elliptical, and walking. I had a PT appointment, a water rehab class and a massage session this week and things are looking up!

I had hoped to run a race on July 4th, but I'm going to set my sights on The Seafair Torchlight Run on July 28th. You can dress up like a pirate. I hope I don't get a cramp in me peg!
Dressing like a pirate sounds fun! I am so glad the leg is improving. I need to get a massage I think.

One thing the p-t told me, is that to think about professional athletes. They have people constantly working on them. She said in her opinion at a minimum, people who work out so hard should be getting regular massages. Which makes sense. But have I booked one yet, uh, no.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
I love Zumba! I know what you mean with the arms and legs. I went yesterday and there were a few parts where I was pretty much just bobbing up and down or shuffling my feet back and forth!

We had a break in the heat so I went outside and ran about 30 minutes then walked about 35. We had a bit of cloud cover that dropped the temps about 10 degrees so that was much appreciated.
Glad you got a run in. That's me in zumba, though I am improving every class, which is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUIZEN MAMMA View Post
Rose,

thanks for the good wishes, my race is next Wednesday on July 4th. The Freedom Run 4 miler. As for heat- being in Fl it is a big concern. This race may be pretty brutal but we run through Historic down town which is well shaded and every year a local neighbor stands on his lawn and sprays a gentle mist at the runners if they want it. I havent been getting in my weekly runs as regular as i'd like due to the heat- have hit the treadmill for a couple of them.
So we will be running at the same time maybe?

It is only supposed to be 99 here on Wednesday, so what am I complaining about. Really, these temps are nasty. I can handle the low 90s and humidity, but today it is supposed to be 105. It is just nasty.

so a little off topic. We have been doing projects at our house, because we think we will be listing our house in a month or so. (Which I know I have talked about before, but I think we are really going to do it this time.) Anyhow, NOTHING has gone right. Nothing. It has been so frustrating. And it's not like we are new to home improvement. We put all the hardwood floors in our house, finished our basement, added two windows, etc. But for some reason the projects (which should have been very simple) have been nightmares. Fingers crossed that things start going a little smoother, cause the stress is making me very cranky!

Have a good Sunday!
Old 07-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #147
BernardandMissBianca
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Did my first long run today. Well 3 miles isn't exactly long but it's an official long run. It wasn't easy, the humidity was horrible!! I missed 3 running intervals, one to get water from my car, the second because of a pack of dogs and an owner on the course, and the last because I was just to tired! I was slow, 3 miles in 50 minutes but I expected that since it was so humid.

Hopefully the rest of the week will be better.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #148
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
Amanda, I like my Omron pedometer. It fits in your pocket and doesn't give false readings like other pedometers I've tried. There are lots to choose from on Amazon.com -- mine is so old they don't make it any more but the HJ112 is very similar.
Thanks! I saw a few Omron pedometers on Amazon that had good ratings. I am going to a sports store today to see if I can get one quicker than Amazon. Even with Prime it was telling me I July 5th.

The color run looks amazing! I think the one in San Antonio was in February so I will be on the look out for it next time.

I found this mud run I am going to do
http://www.godirtygirl.com/

Dirty Girl all women mud run. The obstacles look totally do-able for me. Now I just need to find a running buddy!

When you get a chance you an add that for me for December.

Last edited by sissy_ib; 07-01-2012 at 07:01 PM.
sissy_ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #149
tiki23
Able to leap a double stroller in a single *splat*
A hot glue gun was my best friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
Dressing like a pirate sounds fun! I am so glad the leg is improving. I need to get a massage I think.

One thing the p-t told me, is that to think about professional athletes. They have people constantly working on them. She said in her opinion at a minimum, people who work out so hard should be getting regular massages. Which makes sense. But have I booked one yet, uh, no.....

It is only supposed to be 99 here on Wednesday, so what am I complaining about. Really, these temps are nasty. I can handle the low 90s and humidity, but today it is supposed to be 105. It is just nasty.

so a little off topic. We have been doing projects at our house, because we think we will be listing our house in a month or so. (Which I know I have talked about before, but I think we are really going to do it this time.) Anyhow, NOTHING has gone right. Nothing. It has been so frustrating. And it's not like we are new to home improvement. We put all the hardwood floors in our house, finished our basement, added two windows, etc. But for some reason the projects (which should have been very simple) have been nightmares. Fingers crossed that things start going a little smoother, cause the stress is making me very cranky!

Have a good Sunday!
I sure wish I could send some of our cool air and rain out to everyone! It's the 1st week of July and we're not even cracking 70º!

Rose - Massages are great but very addicting! I used to drive a lot for work and would get a full body twice a month...I would have loved to have done it every week. During this leg thing, the first three massages were deep tissue and they HURT but it did the trick to start loosening things up. The last two massages have been less pressure and felt so good. I have one more scheduled in this series, the day after my last PT, but I think I'll try to schedule a massage once a month...if I can afford it.

Oh, PT and MT both told me to try different items besides foam roller such as a rolling pin, tennis ball and golf ball. MT told me I should try a golf ball under my hamstring while driving - I haven't tried that yet, it sounds a little uncomfortable!

Good luck with your house!

~Alice
1st Trip! 11/06 POP~ Christmas Time W/Mom 12/07 POP~ Just Me DL 3/08~ Mom-Son 8/08 POP~Fam & Friends 10/08 DLR~Reunion 9/09 ASMU~Sisters! 9/10 POFQ~ 3/11 w/DD's choir ASMu~ 5/12 EE Challenge w/Sis POP ~w/DH 9/12 AoA~ ToT Run/Reunion 10/13 POP! ~ ASP w/Sis Princess Wknd 2/14 DLand Half Marathon 8/14 11/14 Avenger Half Marathon
tiki23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #150
BernardandMissBianca
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Question:

When you do your long runs/walks are you starving the rest of the day?? I have completely blown my calories for the day because I can't stop grazing! Even with 8 glasses of water already down.

OMG, this is ridiculous. One step forward and 2 steps back.
I will not throw in the towel, I will NOT throw in the towel!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: