Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #46
tndisneyfan
DIS Veteran

La Cantina de San Angel

Today was another Epcot day. We'd tried La Cantina a couple of times before and it's become another Epcot favorite. So when lunchtime came we knew where we wanted to eat.

Nachos

DS got the Nachos. Just your typical nachos with seasoned ground beef, melted nacho cheese, tomato, jalapeno, and sour cream. He ordered his without sour cream though. It was a large serving, DS can put the food away but I don't think he was able to finish his meal. He liked them but they are nothing special, just typical nachos.

Tacos de Pallo

I had the chicken tacos. They were good. The salsa and the tortillas are the same as La Hacienda. I didn't mention in my La Hacienda review about how small the tortilla shells are. They are very small, maybe four inch tortillas, instead of the six inch that I'm used to. So to me the tacos were small. There were three tacos with a good amount of moist, tender chicken in them. There was pico de gallo and lime to put on the taco. I used a little of both, the pico de gallo was a little on the hot side but was good with my tacos. There was a large serving of chips, the salsa was with the condiments so you could get as much as you wanted. Even though the tacos were small I had enough that I couldn't finish my chips.

Taco de Carne

Dh had the beef brisket tacos. He loved them. They are not ground beef tacos like we are used to, it was shredded beef brisket. He said the brisket was juicy, tender, and had a lot of flavor. I had these last time and thought they were just OK but DH loved them. Of course you get the same chips and condiments as the other tacos.

Now what I was really looking forward to........ Churros

Churros

I couldn't wait to get to my churros. The last time we ate there they had these decent churros with a milky caramel sauce that was so good. It made even the so-so Disney churros good. So what in the crap are these things? They don't even look like Churros, it looks kind of like an onion ring. I tried one, it was some kind of fried dough with a small amount of cinnamon sugar sprinkled on it. Not good at all. It was hard and crunchy. Even the dreamy milky caramel didn't make it any better. No one liked them and we were all disappointed.

Overall Thoughts and Opinions The regular food was great, but the whole Churro thing kind of messed me up. I mention that the nachos were just ordinary nothing special nachos, but I should note that even though I feel that way DH and I both considered getting them. I don't want anyone to not get them because I said they were nothing special. I was very disappointed with the Churros just because I loves me some Churros and can't get them in the Greater Tri-Cities area of East Tennessee. I will still give this place but will add a because of the churro thing.

BTW, we will see those churro rings again. Oh yes, we will see them again.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #47
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

Your reviews are great, your pics are really great!!!!!!!

We love La Hacienda too. We went to a "Tequila lunch" that was held there during last year's food & wine fest and we were hooked!!
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #48
tndisneyfan
DIS Veteran

Teppan Edo

We tried this restaurant last trip because we don't have a real Japanese steakhouse in our area anymore. We have places that serve the same food but all of them now just cook the food in a large central grill and you have individual tables. At most places you can watch them cook, but there's no show. We thought DS would like "the show" and he did. Plus we liked the food too.

We had some time to kill before check in so DS browsed in the Japanese store for a while. It's like a young boys dream in there, full of video game and anime characters. Well it was getting to be about 20 minutes before our ADR time so we went up to check in.

Once I got up there I was kind of confused on where to go even though we had been there before. There are two restaurants up there Teppan Edo and Tokyo dining. A lady greeted us just moments after we entered, we told her we had a Teppan Edo ADR and she showed me the check in. There were a few in line but I got checked in no problem. So the waiting started. We were all hungry for some reason, hungrier than normal. We were in for a long wait. We didn't get called back until close to 30 minutes past our time. I should mention here that this is the only time we waited more than a few minutes past our time. It wasn't just us, I was complaining to DH at minute 15. The young ladies next to us said they had been waiting 25 at that point. While we were there a man with a party of 11 was complaining because he had only made reservations for 7 and they couldn't be seated together. They somehow made arrangements for him.

So nearly 30 minutes after our ADR time our buzzer goes off and we head to our table. The three of us are seated with a party of 5. This isn't really a complaint, just more of a heads up, it is very loud in there. With the stack vents going and the chefs cooking and people talking, very loud. I couldn't hardly hear anything our server said.

So onto the food.

DS loves California Roll so we got one for him and me to split. I didn't get a picture but it was good.

I was watching the the table next to us while we waited for our time to eat. There was a lady chef at the next table. I was hoping we didn't get her. She must be new because she seemed nervous and kind of slow. So when our chef came out I was pleased it was someone else. Our chefs name was Eiho. I think it's the same one we had last time. I was going to post a pic that had at least his profile in it but faces of that other party are in it and I doubt they want to be in my review.

Before I get on to my food pics and reviews I want to share this. The man next to me ordered his food cooked with no oil. I wondered how they would do this and it made me think about people who have allergies. What the chef did was cook his food first, his whole meal, before cooking anyone elses food. I kind of felt bad for him because he was eating and you could tell he was trying to eat slow and drag it out so he wouldn't be finished before everyone else.

I debated on how to do my pics. If I waited until everything was cooked then I would be taking pictures of a half eaten meal. I finally decided to take a picture of each item as it was served.

Now, finally, I'll stop talking and get to the pics.

Udon Noodles with Zucchini and Onion

This is the first item put on the plate. Just noodles, zucchi, and onions. It was good. I would like to say that Eiho showed some fancy knife work cutting the veggies.

White Rice

About the time the noodles came out our server brought out bowls of sticky rice for everyone. It was good, not stale at all like it was at Kona. I'm not a huge plain rice fan but I ate all of it.

Shrimp

DS and I both went with the Steak and Shrimp. This of course is the shrimp. It was delicious. Nicely seasoned and not overcooked at all. Once again saw some fancy cutting with the shrimp.

Chicken

DH got the Steak and Chicken. Not a great picture but this is the chicken on his plate. He said it was good, typical chicken like is at any restaurant like this.

Steak

This is the steak part of the meal of course. The steak was good, flavorful and cooked as requested. But once again, just typical for that kind of restaurant. The steak came with mushroom cooked with it. The best part of DH and DS not liking mushrooms is I get to eat them, so it was like I got an extra side of mushrooms.

It was time for desserts. I got the green tea pudding last time and thought it was OK but DS's ginger chocolate cake looked better. I'm not a huge ginger fan, it has its place in certain things but not in others. DS assured me that there was almost no ginger taste in that cake. He couldn't taste the ginger at all.

Chocolate Ginger Cake

DS and I got the ginger chocolate cake. I took one bite and the ginger flavor was too strong for me. I don't know why I listened to DS. I should've know better. I doubt he even knows what ginger is. He liked his though. I took a few bites to see if I could get used to the taste but I couldn't. DS loved it though.

Swirl Soft Serve

DH went the safe route and got swirl soft serve.

Overall Thoughts and Opinions This meal took much longer than expected. Our ADR was at 7:00 and we weren't seated almost 7:30. The special request cooking added time to our meal too since it had to be cooked seperate before any other cooking. (I'm not complaining about that, I totally understand, just stating that it did add time to the meal). I was hoping to get out in time to stop in England for some Curly Wurly (BTW if any of you 40+ year olds liked Marathon bars growing up, the Curly Wurly that you can buy in England is the same thing). We ended up not getting out until 8:55 and we tried to hurry out to beat the mass rush for illuminations.

To me this meal is just a typical Japanese hibatchi style steakhouse. The chef put on a great show and that's what we went for. If we still had a Japanese restaurant in our area that did a show while cooking we probably wouldn't bother eating here. Don't get me wrong, the food was fine, it's just similar to what we can get at home.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #49
mlg32
Mouseketeer
Oh my God the red rainboots!!

Great reviews. I am enjoying your writing so much and feel like you give a very realistic review of food! Thank you!

BWI June 2014
AKL /Captiva Island June 2013
POR/Poly August 2012 Celebrating DDs 7th Birthday!
AKL Dec 2011
BC Nov 2010
BC April 2010
GF Dec 2008
Poly/BC Jul-Aug 2007
Poly May 2006
Poly May 2005
AKL Aug 2004
mlg32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #50
tndisneyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlg32 View Post
Great reviews. I am enjoying your writing so much and feel like you give a very realistic review of food! Thank you!
Thanks That is what I was going for. I like detailed reviews of what the food is like, not just it was good or we didn't like it.

Last edited by tndisneyfan; 06-04-2012 at 11:59 AM.
tndisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #51
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

you can keep a smart title - loving this review and pics

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #52
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Interesting about the ginger choc cake. I, like your son, didnt taste ginger at all either. And I dont particularly like ginger! I really loved the cake, although my fave still is the green tea pudding!!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #53
tndisneyfan
DIS Veteran

Sassagoula Floatworks

Today was a a sleep in and rest day. Since we were staying at POR, I had been threatening to drive over to POFQ and get some beignets for breakfast one morning. But I've been getting up at 6:45 most mornings and 5:45 a couple of times, so I wasn't feeling it. Since today I got to sleep in I finally drove over and got the beignets. Just for a little background we stayed at POFQ in October 2007 and had the beignets then. Everyone liked them at that time, except for DS who can't remember eating them, but trust me he liked them.

Beignets

I went with the six so everyone could have two. It was less than $5 for six, not too bad of deal. There were several people waiting for them and they cook them fresh to order, so it took a few minutes to get them. I didn't mind waiting. The three pack comes in a basket but the six came in a foam container with a lid, I needed that box with a lid but I may have doomed our beignet experience. Since I had to drive back I had to close the lid. I was back in our room about five minutes after I got them. When I opened the box they were still hot. So I started eating one and honestly it was just OK. I thought I remember them being crispy and soft under the crispy. These were just kind of tough and chewy. I thought the taste was fine but the texture was off. DH thinks that possibly when I closed the lid to get them to the room that the steam trapped in the box made them chewy. Could be. DH thought the oil they were fried in needed to be changed and DS thought they were just OK. They were definitely not as good as I remember but it was still a decent breakfast a nice change from the cereal and honey buns we'd been eating.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #54
Valgoof
DIS Veteran

So at Teppan Edo are the combo entrees included on the DDP? Planning on going there for the first time on this trip. We have never been to a Japanese hibachi restaurant so I'm excited to try it. Loving your reviews!!

3 trips as a kid/teen-Offsite Dec 2011-Offsite Dec 2012-Pop Century Feb 2014-OKW
Nov 2014-AKV Kidani

Valgoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #55
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgoof View Post
So at Teppan Edo are the combo entrees included on the DDP? Planning on going there for the first time on this trip. We have never been to a Japanese hibachi restaurant so I'm excited to try it. Loving your reviews!!
Yup. The combo entree's are included in the DP. My son usually gets the steak/chicken combo. I get the filet mignon. The steak included with the chicken/steak combo is a sirloin i believe. Thats why i went with filet. I looove filet mignon. And man was it ever tasty!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #56
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Loving your reviews!

I really love your churro pic...I swear we got those same churros in July. I kept reading about how good they are on the DIS, and then we got those things. I grew up next to Disneyland and going to fairs and with street vendors selling churros, and I was so unimpressed with the La Cantina ones.

(Our night at Epcot was "bad" because we got one meal from La Cantina with those churros and one meal from the Chinese stand with some nasty ginger ice cream. The meals were actually tasty-the desserts just stunk! Thank goodness for the caramel shop!)
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #57
CatNipRules
Overplanner Extraordinaire....
I love them when they are raw
I got Mickey mail

I am loving your reviews.

The churro pic had me really confused though. LOL! I lived in Florida for years and love churros, but those looked like onion rings. But the caramel sauce had me thinking churros.LOL!!

I want to try the beignets, but they look to sweet for me that early in the morning.

Can't wait for more!!

CatNipRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #58
tndisneyfan
DIS Veteran

Pepper Market Lunch Buffet

We were taking an off day from the parks but DS wanted to do DQ. We decided we would eat lunch together at Pepper Market then drop him off at DQ for a few hours while DH and I rested.

So we arrived at Pepper Market just a few minutes past 11 because I thought it opened at 11. We got there and it didn't open until 1130. We killed some time in the store and looking around. Even though we stayed at POR we consider CSR our "home" resort, so it was nice to be back home.

When 11:30 rolled around we went to be seated. Our server took our drink order and explained how everything worked. Basically they just have food set out at every station that you get yourself, as much as you want of what you want.

I debated on how to do my pics. In the end I just decided to take pictures of each food area and tell a little about each area instead of showing a bunch of food on our plates.

There's a lot of pictures with this, it may be too much.

I'm going to have to apologize. I finished my review and wanted to come back and add this. This review is long with lots of pics. I took a lot and ended up adding most of them because there seems to be so many questions about what all is included with the buffet.

This is part of the salad area. The salad is just a garden salad and next to it is just a bowl of quartered tomatoes. Some fresh apples and oranges in the background.

Ceasar salad and BLT salad, some croutons and fresh fruit in the background. The BLT salad was just a garden salad with bacon in it. I had some, it was fine.

From right to left. Balsamic Vinagrette dressing then ranch dressing. I was a little disappointed that was the only two dressings. I like Ranch and so does DS but DH doesn't. DH ate some salad without dressing because there was none he liked. To the left of the dressing is cucumber and onion salad, basically just cucumber and onion in ranch. Then black bean salad and on the far left that you can barely see is some fruit salad.

This is from the pizza station. Cheese and pepperoni pizza and breadsticks. No one tried it.

This is from the Kids station, Mac n cheese and spaghetti. I tried the Mac n cheese. It was very processed tasting and had an oily taste that I didn't care for.

Also from the kids station. Nuggets, fries, and looks like grilled chicken strips.

This is from the wrap/sandwich station.

More from the wrap/sandwich station. We tried a few things from here and it was just OK. I didn't pay attention to what was in the wraps but there was too much stuff I didn't like in each. I dind't care for any of the sandwiches nor did DS. I you can get the sandwiches and wraps cold but there was no one there to ask.

On the left is chicken and the right is tilapia. DS didn't like the chicken, he didn't like the seasoning on it.

Mashed potatoes, gravy, and roast beef. Notice the peel in the taters. We were all surprised at how good the beef was. It was cooked about medium well but it looked dried out sitting in the heating pan. We were pleasantly surprised that it was moist and had flavor all the way thru (plumb thru it was the way DH put it). We all ate several pieces of the beef.

This is more food where the roast beef is. I don't know what that is in the upper left hand corner, I can't remember and the picture is too blurry to make out. The rest is roasted potatoes that were OK. Corn with peppers in it. DH didn't care for this at all, he said they tried to make it sweet and it was too sweet. Then grilled zucchi, squash, and onions on the bottom left. The mixed veggies were good, but may be too done for some.

The taco bar. The picture is too poor quality for me to be exact, but it seems like there was black beans, rice, chicken, ground beef, and maybe cheese or maybe not. There are tortilla shells on the side that you can't see. The sign said there was lettuce, tomato, and such but we didn't see any.

This is the rest of the Mexican cuisine. Not sure what is in the green sauce because we didn't try it. The middle in the red sauce is chicken burritos, which were actually pretty good. Then in the back is chicken quesadillas. They were good but a little plain. When we used to get them they had pepper and onion and now it's just cheese and chicken. Good but bland. May have been better if there had been some pico or tomato or something to put on it.

The rest are pictures of bread and desserts

On the far left is a few different varieties of rolls. The middle is cinnamon rolls that were very tasty. DS and I both enjoyed them. Then muffins on the far right.

It's a blurry picture but I still wanted you to see the cookies and pastries.

The cake case. They were all varieties of chocolate cake. They were nothing special, they look better than they taste, but still a decent cake.

And last but not least.

Churro Rings. I told you that you would be seeing these again. I didn't try them, but I have to say they look better than the ones at La Cantina. Still not a churro though.

Overall Thoughts and Opinion Overall we liked the lunch buffet. I liked being able to get a little of this and a little of that. Some quesadilla with some roast beef. Overall the food quality was OK, not as good as when it was cooked to order though. The food we enjoyed the most was the roast beef and the quesadillas. One thing DH said and I totally agree with is there were no nacho chips. We both would've liked to have some chips and made nachos at the taco bar. Another small complaint was no toppings at the taco bar. It's $17.95 for the lunch buffet. Not too bad of a deal if you make it your big meal of the day. Good deal on the DDP though.

Coming up......Raglan Road

Last edited by tndisneyfan; 06-04-2012 at 02:26 PM.
tndisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #59
tndisneyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgoof View Post
I think your question has been answered but thanks for loving my reviews.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #60
tndisneyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiths02 View Post
Loving your reviews!

I really love your churro pic...I swear we got those same churros in July. I kept reading about how good they are on the DIS, and then we got those things. I grew up next to Disneyland and going to fairs and with street vendors selling churros, and I was so unimpressed with the La Cantina ones.

(Our night at Epcot was "bad" because we got one meal from La Cantina with those churros and one meal from the Chinese stand with some nasty ginger ice cream. The meals were actually tasty-the desserts just stunk! Thank goodness for the caramel shop!)
Well I don't know when it changed but when we went last year it was regular churros. I didn't care for these churro rings at all. Plus as I said in earlier review, I don't think WDW churros are very good anyway, seems like they are always stale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNipRules View Post
I am loving your reviews.

The churro pic had me really confused though. LOL! I lived in Florida for years and love churros, but those looked like onion rings. But the caramel sauce had me thinking churros.LOL!!

I want to try the beignets, but they look to sweet for me that early in the morning.

Can't wait for more!!
I felt the same way. I was like, what are these things. The beignets are very sweet but I would think you could shake a lot of the powder off them or even ask for them with light powder. The dough itself isn't sweet at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
Yup. The combo entree's are included in the DP. My son usually gets the steak/chicken combo. I get the filet mignon. The steak included with the chicken/steak combo is a sirloin i believe. Thats why i went with filet. I looove filet mignon. And man was it ever tasty!
I thought about getting the filet myself, but we were so hungry I went with quantity instead of quality.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: